Author Topic: Puckered seams???? Help  (Read 3003 times)

Offline j b

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Puckered seams???? Help
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:05:57 AM »
I used a satin backed crepe here (the reverse side out). the thin black lines are piping with black fabric inserts. I tried what I could different needles (schmetz - stretch, microtex etc). Looks fine when stitching a trial on a smaller piece of fabric but on the garment I couldn't get it right. Even tried Steam and stretching the fabric as I ironed but it would just go back to being puckered again.

This was definitely a bad one!!!!

Any suggestions????

Online AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
Re: Puckered seams???? Help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Satin backed crepe is a difficult fabric... :)

It looks to me as though you may have stretched the piping as you inserted into the seam.  As it relaxed it has caused the fabric to pucker.
Or perhaps it shrank when you steam pressed the seam?
This would not have been so obvious in your trial piece.

Seams like this need very careful preparation - how much basting did you do? And did you pre-shrink the piping?

But having said that your final result still looks pretty good - a lot of people simply wouldn't see what you are seeing...

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »
Is it too late to redo them?  I wonder if a longer stitch would help, especially now that they've stretched or shrunk.  I bow the AnnR's wisdom.  I'm sure she's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Offline willowsmum

• Sandra
  • so you will know who you are talking to
    • Willowsmums Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:01:34 PM »
Can you try clipping your piping seam allowance only to try and release it also try stretching the piping seam allowance a little bit as you are steaming, try a sample first.....I really believe in doing samples, that is because I make so many mistakes ::)
I can see there is a lot of work gone into your garment, and really it still looks lovely.
Sandra

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
now that the piping has shrunk, you should be able to pick and re-sew the seams.  the piping won't go all the way down, but the hem should hide that.

Offline j b

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »
Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions.

All the piping was measured and cut to exact lengths. But then some of the cuts were on the bias so stretching of the fabric could well have taken place.

Pre-shrinking the piping did not come to mind, something I'll definitely keep in mind next time. Basting - I did baste the piping to one piece of the fabric before stitching the two pieces together??

Even tried cutting some of the stitches here and there to see if this would maybe release some tension in the thread if that was the cause.

I have to admit that I did unpick some of the seams several times and re-stitch them. I found though that it was more the vertical seams that puckered than the ones that were on the bias.

One things for sure preparation is definitely important in something like this, which I obviously did not do enough of.

Many thanks once again.

God Bless

Judith

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
Judith, it's a beautiful gown, and most likely no one will notice the puckers, especially since you will be moving in the dress.  The dressform often shows the slightest of sewing problem areas.  I think you did a marvelous job on the dress (oh, those insets--wow!), and you should just kick back and enjoy every minute you get to wear it!  :)

Kathryn

Offline MsFunk

• funkSimile Cinematic Replica Clothing
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
I do a lot of piping, and am always having to remind myself not to pull on it while applying.  Since I'm trying to keep tension on the cord so that it stays in the channel, this can be very tricky, especially when rounding corners.  Sometimes I can tug out a pucker, which lets the cord slip up into the piping but I'm not sure how successful that would be on satin; I apply piping to cottons and linens mainly.

But I will echo what others have said: no one will notice but you and the dress is stunning.  Wear it with pride.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics