Author Topic: Girls Dress Patterns?  (Read 8971 times)

Bethany

Girls Dress Patterns?
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:43:23 PM »
I've been looking online at children's dresses and am finding nothing and the size charts they are giving me seem way off.  I need modest church dresses that have sleeves and are below the knee.  I can't even find that in a store or online pattern companies.  Skirts are fine as well, just again, below the knee.  Is there a great pattern company that fits 8-10 year old girls?  Dresses are just way to expensive to buy or it's impossible to find modest clothing (She's not 25).  Even a great clothing company would work as well.

Thanks

Offline nanners

Re: Girls Dress Patterns?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:02:59 AM »
This website has links that may be of interest

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/links.htm#mp
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel!
                        Susan

Offline New Zealand girl

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 01:04:06 AM »
Kari Mecca has really nice patterns, they are a bit heirloom looking, but easily could be made more up to date - try heirlooms forever, elegant stitches or handmades, or farmhouse fabrics.

Childrens corner also have lovely patterns for kids, and many of the above sites have galleries that will give you good ideas as to how to make up the patterns, childrens corner, probably would be my favouite company because the pattern pieces fit so well together, and the sizing is pretty accurate I have found.  I sew for my grand-daughters and grandson.

Daisy Kingdom also have dressy patterns, you can pick them up on e-bay.  I only buy sale fabric for the kids, but if you keep your eye open, most of the above mentioned places also have clearance fabrics.

Addriennes attic also has patterns, and a large gallery to look at.  Catimini, if you google it, sells kids shoes and clothes, and its always good to get good ideas.

I do like the kings daughters, as mentioned in the sites by nanners, I thought their patterns a bit dowdy, but the fabrics are a good price.

Also Sew Beautiful, always has patterns in it, and I have used them a lot and really like them, they have lots of ideas too.
You can get older copies on e-bay, but you can buy them from the stores I listed above.  Of all the stores I think my favourite
would be farmhouse fabrics, great for service, and the parcels arrive with little extras, like packets of buttons and ribbon that matches what you bought - they have a great supply of other things, like lace, ribbon, trims.  Oh and I am forgetting
Carol Harris of course.  They are also nice.  And remember, while the fabric maybe more expensive from these places, particularly
I am thinking corduroy, its often top quality.

Fran

Bethany

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »
Wow..Farmhouse Fabrics had some wonderful fabrics.  I only quilt and any of the fabric for clothing is what I have seen in a JoAnn Store.  If I can pay 8-10 a yard for quilt fabric, I have no problem buying nice fabric.  And the lace was so pretty.   The "Kings Daughters" was a little more simple than what I was looking for, but very modest.

I'll keep looking through the sites that have been mentioned.  I can sew clothing some.  I have a friend that is willing to help as well.  I know enough to be dangerous..lol.  I just get messed up on the sizes on the back of the patterns with the dang meausurements.     

SewDisturbed

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:34:34 AM »
I've been struggling with the same issue for my 7 1/2 year old!  What I finally started doing was making just A-line jumpers.  They are right at the knee and look very age appropriate.  I also made my daughters (the other is 5) some gypsy skirts.  They are VERY simple and you can make them whatever length you want.  If you can gather, sew a straight stitch and put in elastic, you're good.  Pair them with a pretty blouse and they look not only current, but conservative!  Children's Corner has a pattern for a skort that's wonderful.  I think it's Sara's Skort.  Very easy, very basic and could be lengthened, altered, whatever.  I've added ruffles to the bottom, pleats, ric-rac and always end up with a different look.  It's nearly impossible to find things that are age appropriate in the stores these days for girls 7-12.  I haven't even looked at teen clothing...ugh, the thought scares me!  For play dresses, Lands End is always a winner.

Good luck,
Rena

Offline New Zealand girl

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 04:48:31 AM »

Children's corner, Lillian is an A-line jumper, also Bonnie Blue has a number of simple patterns that can be used over and
over again.

I have made the gypsy skirt several times from different fabrics and they look different everytime.  I was truly shocked at the
prices in the stores of girls clothing, some of it very poorly made, and of course if you want good name brands it just costs more
than what many can afford.

I actually find I get as much enjoyment out of sewing for the kids as I do for myself.

And the quality, Bethany of Farmhouse Fabrics is truly one of the best, and they often have stuff they buy at sale prices that
they pass onto the customer - I think others have mentioned them too.  Strangely enough they never seem to have denim, and thats something that is often hard to find - kings daughters have a brushed denim that is very reasonably priced.

Fran

stitchntime9

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
Because you sew, the possibilities with a few patterns are endliess.  You can lengthen the pattern at the lengthen or shorten line to suit your length requirement.  With sleeveless patterns including a jacket, that would make it multiple wear for inside and outside church and use the sleeveless dress as a jumper with a turtleneck or blouse underneath.

If you have a Joann Fabric near you, they have Simplicity patterns on sale for $1.99 again..and the Daisy Kingdom patterns.

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
Bethany, you might want to try the Kwik Sew Sewing for Children book for a pattern.  I have Sewing for Baby and Sewing for Toddlers, and they both have good basics that can be adapted to be more or less formal.  The toddler book is mostly patterns for knits, and I imagine that the childrens' book is similar.

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:10 PM »
Have you taken a look at the Patrones Magazine, children's version??  I've made a couple from this issue, and found that so far they are true to size.

Here's a scan of the styles.  There are a couple of dresses that would be very good for church.

http://thetwistedone.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=348

I have a few extra copies, but be warned, they are in Spanish, and you should be aware of that.  I can help with the translations a little bit.
Stuff to waste your time...
My workspace: http://www.twistedangelstudio.com
My huge vintage pattern collection: http://www.patternaddiction.com (last upload: 10/01/2006)
Help me pick my next project!! (on hold until I catch up)

Offline mamafitz

• Fashions fade, style is eternal -- YSL
    • my sewing blog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
there is also Ottobre Design.  it's a magazine like Burda Kids or Topkids, and so you really get a lot of bang for your buck.

the recommendation for the kwik sew books is good also -- you can do so much with the basic garments as buidling blocks.  many times modesty is achieved just by raising a neckline or dropping a hem.

i like farmhouse fabrics -- great stuff.  I also like stuff from Handmades.  you can probably look at either site and see a whole slew of heirloom pattern companies.  i only have personal experience with Petite Poche (Wendy Schoen), and have heard that the children's corner patterns run small.  if you want to get into smocking, Australian Smocking and Embroidery magazine is just excellent.  all patterns are included in each issue, and the step by step photos are top notch.

as far as the size charts -- they are not that great.  i've always taken my kids' measurements and compared them to the finished garment measurements.  i've made size 4 stuff for my 7 year old, or size 6 stuff for my 10 year old, just adding a lot of length. 
Linda~

It's good to be the queen.

Offline Tina W

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:51:11 AM »
I sew for my daughter almost solely from Ottobre Designs.  I do find that I need to lengthen most things for her in order to have a modest length, though--sometimes even two sizes longer.   I've also sewn a few dresses for her from Vogue which are nice and long--they have that elegantly long length with lots of fabric in the skirt.

Offline Jillf

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »
I second Ottobre designs My 7 and 11/12ths (8 next month!) DD prefers these patterns, since they are a bit more fashion forward than the standard patterns I could use.  Other than Ottobre, I mostly use Kwiksew due to their patterns reliably fitting her, and making great staples for her wardrobe.  On both, I add at least 1-2" due to my daughter's height - she is like an 8 super slim.  Making things more modest is typically just adding a bit more length for her on the skirts.

She just picked out two patterns for me to make for the holidays from Ottobre - there is an oriental shirt and matching pants in the most recent issue - she wants it in a deep blue crushed velvet with pale pinkish lavendar trim.  The number for these patterns are #25 and #26 in the 5/2006 issue.  The other one is a very princess style dress from the spring 2003 issue.  It is #19 in the 1/2003 issue.  She wants it in a light and dark purple.

http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2006_5/sivut/16.jpg
http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2003_1/sivut/5.jpg

Sewbaby.com has quite a few nice patterns:
http://www.sewbaby.com/patterns.html

Sewzannes is good for fabrics/patterns:
http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/

For the ultimate amount of control, you could try Martha Pullen's click and sew patterns - I used both of these before I bought Child's Play from Wild Ginger to get me familiar with how they work.  The boys pants pattern works fine for girls too.  You just tape the patterns together with tape from your printer.
http://store.marthapullen.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1355&category_id=17a2eebed3e44ff65416bc8532b23616&
http://store.marthapullen.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1356&category_id=17a2eebed3e44ff65416bc8532b23616&

Hope this helps!
Jill
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:24:08 PM by Jillf »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »
Ohmigosh, what a CUTE avatar, Jillf!  I'm going to keep coming back to this topic just to see it!  ;D

Welcome to SG!  Since you're a newbie poster, here is some info that we always like to give out to help you around the site.

You may want to familiarize yourself with Stitcher's Guild by visiting these links:

Are you new? 

and

Forum decorum...FAQs

You can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight in the Sandbox topic without affecting any of the active topics.  It's a fun place to hang out!:

Sandbox

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask DragonLady, the site administrator, or one of us four moderators.  We're almost always around, at least when we are awake!  ;D  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright blue or bright red.  However, you can always send us a private message at any time.

Again, welcome to SG, and for heaven's sake don't ever change your avatar, unless that little guy has an even cuter cousin, that is!  ;D

Offline Jillf

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
Ohmigosh, what a CUTE avatar, Jillf!  I'm going to keep coming back to this topic just to see it!  ;D

Actually, I've been a lurker since the summer, just never posted, so I think I feel like I already belong.

That little guy came from one of my dd's teacher's who sent me an email with them on it.  He does have some friends that she sent along with him.  Unfortunately, I'm at work, and since I just started this job a couple of weeks ago, I haven't decked out my computer with them just yet.  I'll bring them along to the party a bit later.  One is a kitty sleeping with his head on a cupcake...

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
Actually, I've been a lurker since the summer, just never posted, so I think I feel like I already belong.

Always nice to see somebody "de-lurk"! :hiding:  Please let us know if you have questions or we can help.

Nice to have you here ;D

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Jillf

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 10:44:10 PM »
My apologies for this taking over Bethany's post.....

Some friends for my kitty avatar

Now back to discussing nicely styled girlie dresses.
Here are some of my DD's favorite dress and skirt combo outfit patterns that you might be able to get a little more readily - maybe they will help...
http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P2814_2839/2824.cfm
http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P2702_2723/2709.cfm
http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3258_3277/3274.cfm

I haven't made this one but it is on my list - looks appropriate for this discussion:
http://www.smartcart.com/1sew/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=9673bur

SewDisturbed

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 04:00:40 PM »
Have you looked at Maja's Heirlooms.  Her patterns can be found at Farmhouse Fabrics.  They are made with older girls in mind.  It's a mom with 3 daughters and she wanted to continue sewing for them but couldn't continue making them smocked bishop dresses so she developed some patterns for 7-12 year olds that are beautiful.  Sarah, Larkin and I think Laura are all great patterns.  I second Sara's Skort from Children's Corner.  My dd (now 8) lived in those last summer.  I also ADORE Ottobre Designs.  They are easy to alter to make skinnier!  My dd could wear a 2 as she has an 18 inch waist but that's totally inappropriate. She's pretty tiny through the shoulders too (like me) and RTW just doesn't fit her right.  It swallows her if it fits in the length and is way too short if it fits in the width.  There are no appropriate dresses out there for girls this age.  It's just awful.

Offline TFE

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »
I found one great sewing patterns shop for girls....Just LOVE it!!!! I am doing now pillowcase dress and it is very easy and has great fit, but before i tried classic empire waist, finished, and many of my neighbors were asking where i bought from...
here, you will love it too.

Edited by Kathryn (SG Admin/Mod Team) for compliance with Stitcher's Guild no advertising rules

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:31:07 AM by fzxdoc »

Offline girl_in_bleue

• Editor, Writer, Runner, Hiker, Traveler, Expat
    • Where in the World Am I?
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
I know this was moved up to the top due to a SPAM message, but I'm glad I checked it out and discovered Ottobre designs! As a little Christmas present to myself I subscribed. I can't wait to start sewing more kids' clothes.

Stephanie

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics