Author Topic: Pfaff 21xx...(2170, 2144 & 2140)  (Read 42373 times)

Offline coneys word

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Re: Recurring problem with Pfaff 2170
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
The 2170 is still  one of the best sewing machines you can buy,as with all new features the 2140/ 2170 thread snips was Pfaff' first domestic machine with this feature,it was lifted from an industrial machine and adapted to the 2140,It was  a little tricky to set up and to be honest not a lot of dealer techs could master setting it up correctly,however here is what you need ...
two bobbin cases, one set for sewing, tensions top and bottom  as light as possible with a 40 wt poly cotton too much bobbin tension will hold back the thread and it will not pick up after cutting, follow the tension setup section in your manual.
set the other bobbins tension for embroidery, a good idea to use a cotton prewound thread with the cardboard sides removed and set it real light as the machine embroiders with  a default tenion of 2 this should solve your thread pick up problem, the thread being pulled from the  needle is usually because the upper tension slide is not releasing smoothly when the snips actuate and is holding on to the top thread too long.
your dealer by now should be able to set up your snips  reliably
Incidentally the 2140/44/70 machines had the snips engineered a little off so that other manufacturers could stay in business( just kidding) ,  the 2170 is a no gimmick machine every feature on the machine is a pure sewing function.light years ahead of brotherlock etc, it will make you a better sewer, let it teach you
re the bobbin sensor, some clumsy owners have managed to unseat the sensor behind the bobbin case by lassoing it with  thread when the machine was threaded incorrectly,
in a few rare cases the sensor could be faulty or the dealer forgot to reconnect it at service time
the sensor is adjustable in the machine settings so you can leave a little or a lot on the bobbin when the sensor alerts you.
have fun mind yer fingers        regards  Coney

Offline oscarb

Re: Pfaff 21xx...(2170, 2144 & 2140)
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »
Hi, can someone tell me what the screen size on the 2140/44/70 is compared to the screen size on the Viking Designer 1 and the Viking Designer SE?

My wife has a Designer 1 and I am thinking of getting her a SE because she wants the larger higher resolution screen to be able to see her embroidery designs better.  But the SE/LE is still a little out of my price range and this machine seems to have dropped into my range, so if the screen is similar to the SE or larger than the Designer 1 maybe it would do the trick..

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Hi, can someone tell me what the screen size on the 2140/44/70 is compared to the screen size on the Viking Designer 1 and the Viking Designer SE?

My wife has a Designer 1 and I am thinking of getting her a SE because she wants the larger higher resolution screen to be able to see her embroidery designs better.  But the SE/LE is still a little out of my price range and this machine seems to have dropped into my range, so if the screen is similar to the SE or larger than the Designer 1 maybe it would do the trick..

3-1/2" x 4-5/8"   Not sure what your range is but I do have one I'm selling with hardly any use on it.
Karen

Offline Squiff

• A kiss from Elvis, still on the bottle!
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
My DH rewarded me with a 2140/2170 for Christmas, I already had an old Creative 7570 which sounded like a tractor, so just pined for a better machine.  The  new one came via the internet with a damaged foot, mis-aligned accessory compartment and a duff light bulb. However.... what a lovely surprise!
 But as I am computer illiterate, I can't imagine how I will ever use the software, digitiser and stash of add-ons included in the deal.
Also, as a 77 yr old non techie, I can just about manage simple sewing jobs. The disappointments came when DH and I experimented with all the bells and whistles..... mainly, the thread cutter didn't. It just chewed up each time, and we had to open the bobbin case, tweezer out the tangles etc.,
Then we found the tensions prescribed for many of the stitches were way too tight. I did use stabiliser and did everything else right. So it comes down to altering the tensions almost everytime I want to do something. :'(
 I also wanted to try the tapering technique, but found the proceedure in the Pfaff flyer: 'Tapering', showing a simple satin stitch scallop taper, did not work, e.g. the stitch chosen did not come up with the tap icon. Very frustrating so far, don't want to be a grumpy old woman!!

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »
So sorry for the challenges you're having.  First, I am surprised to hear your description of the 7570, after 13 years mine (well, not mine, gave it to DD for her birthday in October) still purrs, quiet and smooth.  Did you keep yours well cleaned/oiled/serviced?  I worked for the dealer for many years and never heard one of these sound anything remotely tractorlike but ya never know.

Regarding the new machine, if none of the factors such as damaged foot, misalignment, tension issues etc. was disclosed I would act accordingly - report to paypal if you paid that way, try and resolve with seller first, go through your cc company....
That said, should you decide to stick wtih it it sounds like it could use a good thorough going over/service by an authorized dealer, particularly on the tension issues.  The default tensions are always recommendations and you can adjust, I would try doing so to see what diffence it makes - i.e. if the default tension is 3, take it to 2 or 1.5 and see what happens.  Keep samples to take to show dealer with settings marked.
As for the thread cutter, well.... it was tempermental on the 2140.  It can be adjusted.  I have just sold my 2144 but never a problem with the cutter - Pfaff improved it on the 2144/70 (the update from 2140 to 70 did not adjust for the cutter, that was a hardware not software change).  But occasionally if it didn't cut perfectly I would know that I just hadn't cleaned out threads -- just using the brush to brush out lint/little bits of threads that may be in the cutter area that it's cut is essential to consistent clean cutting.  Many 2140s needed cutter adjustments though and you can have that done at the dealer. 
I can't help with the tapering... may get the manual out later but it's not nearby, I just never used it after learning so sorry can't offer up tips off the top of my head.  But which specific stitch was it you were trying to taper
Karen

Offline Squiff

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
Hi Karen. Many thanks for reply: I live in a small village, nearest town with Pfaff dealer was only 15 miles but he moved away 10 yrs ago and we don't have another near as that. I did keep 7570 well oiled, cleaned etc., couldn't understand where all the grinding noise came from. Don't remember it ever purring!!! The seller (2170) had been very helpful at time of buying; sent samples and useful printouts, therefore we did not complain, it was a bargain anyhow because of the extras that came with it.
 Think the machine must have got knocked about in transit. Doesn't explain pin missing from one of the feet though. Been experimenting with tensions tonight. LOTS of stitches kept bunching up, so tensions had to be set way lower: good results in the end!
I will check the cutter area more regularly as advised, lowering the tensions has helped. The tapering worked okay for utility stitch 37 on Pfaff's project for a make-up bag, but didn't work for the scallop edge stitch 78, also used on the bag project. In fact, the No 78 does not have the 'tap' icon on the screen.
Regards, not so grumpy Squiff  :) P.S. Might keep 7570 if can have it serviced, lovely machine.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Just going off memory (not always reliable these days!) but if it doesn't have that tap function it may not be a "taperable" stitch - not all are - and now that I think about it, how would you taper a scallop? Can't visualize that... perhaps the stitch length/size on the scallop was altered so a specific number of designs/scallops fit just so in the designated length?
I never had the Pfaff software, I'm behind you age wise but also would probably never learn to maximize its capability or digitize.  Besides, if I did, then there'd be all those hungry digitizers no longer able to pay rent or buy food  ;D
Karen

Offline Squiff

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
Yes its a big old learning curve for me! I just emailed Pfaff with the problem, hope to get some answers  :anguish:
Anyhow, the stitch which does taper on their project( Makeup bag) is 37, but the satin stitch 78 does not. Have a look at the stitch, its a scallop with one straight edge, which apparently can be morphed into an angle.
Hey ho.

Offline LauraM

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 01:42:58 AM »
Hi Squiff, and welcome to SG.  I have a 7570 and a CV, but never owned a 2170.  While SG is a great site full of wonderful ladies and gents so generous with their tips, hints, advice and how to's, I think you would have more luck on a site devoted to the 2170.  There is a group on Yahoo just for the 2170.  You may want to join it and ask your questions there.  Sorry can't be of more help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pfaff2170machine/

I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline Rubyglare

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:57 AM »
Yes its a big old learning curve for me! I just emailed Pfaff with the problem, hope to get some answers  :anguish:
Anyhow, the stitch which does taper on their project( Makeup bag) is 37, but the satin stitch 78 does not. Have a look at the stitch, its a scallop with one straight edge, which apparently can be morphed into an angle.
Hey ho.

Hi, I bought a 2170 off of eBay & had to take it in to have it 'rebalanced', it did travel quite a ways in the mail tho. Perhaps you can narrow the scallop stitch? I do that with my trusty Kenmore, which I've had since 1995, & it doesn't have that taper. I haven't used taper on my 2170 yet. I bought embroidery cards on eBay, as the 2170 is the last Pfaff (I think) to use them. It's quick & easy to slip a card into the machine & choose a design.

I have used the em. cards to embellish some cardigans & I've embroidered the front of a blouse I was making, before I sewed it to the back. There are more designs you can get but you need a computer, you buy the design, download it, then transfer it to the 2170. I hope the cards are less expensive now that they're not making anymore; perhaps people here can refer you to some sites. I used eBay, but you could try http:///www.Etsy.com I have bought vintage items there & the prices are lower than eBay.

Have you embroidered on a t-shirt, or otherwise already made blouse? I have but I had to cut the shoulder seams & the side seam; there MUST be a better way to embroider ready-to-wear. Any suggestions?

Offline ashgrovemo

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
I love my 2170 Pfaff with the IDT.  I love not having a bulky walking foot.  When I first used my thread cutter the thread would sometimes come out of the needle.  The local dealer said you have to take the thread out from the back.  If you pull the thread from the front it will become unthreaded.  Susan

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
pfaff 2100 series updates
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
I just attempted to update my 2140 to 2144, however, I did not realize that when it said upgrading 2144 that it was upgrading a 2144 to a 2170. I'm about 5 minutes away from it being complete, so at this point i'm not going to cancel it in fear it will screw my machine up. I want to know if i should go an install the 2140 upgrade so it upgrades to 2144, and then redo the 2170 upgrade? It just finished upgrading, and it appears to be working fine. Do I even need to go back and redo the upgrades in order?

Thanks,
Emily

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 11:10:13 PM »
I just upgraded my 2140 about 5 minutes ago, only I thought upgrade 2144 ment it was upgrading my 2140 to the "44", but instead it just upgraded to 2170. Should I redo the upgrades so that it upgrades to 2144 and then 2170> Everything appears to be fine, but i wonder if there will be missing stitches because I did not up grade to 2144 first?

Emily

Offline Sewshopper

Re: pfaff 2100 series updates
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:57 AM »
Emily, the 2140 was the first machine.  Then they came out with the 2144 and transferred the software update to the 2140.  When the 2170 came out, they moved the software up again.  It was my understanding that each update erased the last and simply installed the newer software.  I think that you are now up to date.  The changes on the machines themselves were small but each update either corrected or improved the last.  I have the 2140 updated to the 2170.  Sometimes you will see people list their machine as 2140/70 just because of machine and software.  At least, that is my understanding.

Karleene

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
Re: pfaff 2100 series updates
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 02:47:27 AM »
Ok I think you are right. I had a panick attack thinking i'd screwed my machine up there for a sec.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
This is a cumulative update Emily, everything updated in the 2144 update is included the 2170, so you are fine!
Enjoy!

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2010, 06:42:14 PM »
Thanks Anne, I looked through the new stitches last night and i'm really likeing the update. One thing I'm confused about though. The update is supposed to give you built in embroidery designs or are they referring to the maxi designs when they say that? If they are indeed hooped designs where are they located in the machine?

Emily

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
Emily, On the screen, click on Embroidery then the second icon on the right that has the 8 bars in two rows of four then card/machine.  A bar with a sewing machine on it will be at the top, click on that and then go to Palette.  There will be 4 boxes with alphabet, small, medium and large designs, just click on any.

Hope this helps.
Karleene

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:01 PM »
Thanks, found them.

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »
Is there a way to turn the bulb lighting (sewing area lighting) on or does it come on automatically? I wonder if the bulb needs replaced because it's not coming on?

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »
Comes on automatically so sounds like the bulb needs replacing.
Karen

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »
Yeah, I figured so. There's alot of buttons I don't know yet so I wanted to make sure I couldn't have turned it off by mistake. I can get a new bulb from a pfaff dealer right?

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Yes and the machine comes with a dual function tool to change it.  The one you use to flip up/remove the needle plate? Other end of it that looks somewhat cylindrical is a bulb changer. Makes it much easier than on preceeding models.
Karen

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »
I'm glad to know the other end is "supposed" to be used to flip the plate up because I was using it for it anyway. There's a lot to be learned with this machine.

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
Birds nest issues with pfaff 2170
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:11 AM »
I'm doing some FSL-free standing lace designs and I keep getting a birds nest on the underside. the bobbin thread brakes, or snags to. I'm using a pfaff 2170. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've tightened and loosened the tension on the bobbin case, but it doesn't seem to work.

Emily
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:55:10 AM by Emily »

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
Re: Birds nest issues with pfaff 2170
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
nests on the bobbin side are problems with the needle thread.  make sure it's threaded correctly, that your thread isn't catching on the spool, your top tension is good and your needle is both the right one and put in correctly. 

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Well now it's not sewing at all. Something happened when I was doing FSL's. I switched it back to normal sewing function and it's acting up badly now. It acting funny when I try to sew even a straight stitch. The fabric moves all over the place, and the threads are not locking at all, not even sewing. The fabric pulls right apart. OH gosh, right now is not the time for this!! I have like 30 of these decorations to do, and a ton of shirt embroidery, and regular sewing:( I want to cry now...

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 02:36:30 AM »
Are your feed dogs back up?  take out the bobbin, clean out all the fuzz and threads.  re-wind a clean bobbin and rethread the machine.  Get out the manual and make sure you're really REALLY doing it right.  Sounds like you may have some threads in the bobbin case from where you had nests. 
take a deep breath, and clean it up.  turn it off while you breath and let it rest a minute.  Remember - there's always Target.  You don't have to do this all yourself.  Maybe drop by the Holiday stress thread  ;).  This hobby is supposed to be fun - don't let a screwed up machine ruin your night. 
But it's probably very fixable - just take it step by step and make sure all the pieces and parts are clean and put together right.

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 03:26:46 AM »
Thanks, I needed that  ;D

There's  honestly no strings left to pull out. I'm currently searching the inside of the bobbin compartment for any parts of it that may have broken off, but I don't see anything wrong in there. Plus it's pretty much all metal, I don't see something "breaking" off in there but you never know I guess.

I'm definitely going to be shutting it down for the night. I'm hoping it will magically fix it's self in the morning.

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 03:33:41 AM »
Emily - Make sure that you don't have any bits of thread caught in the tension discs - the top thread, I mean.  I'm not familiar with your machine - you might need to shine a light in the thread path to tell. 

I firmly believe that machines can heal themselves, so I hope that yours does.   ;)

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 05:34:02 AM »
I cleaned it out really good, rethreaded, and added a new bobbin. When I put the foot down I heard something fall. I assume it was a broken needle stuck somewhere inside. I broke one earlier that day doing the lace. It's working now. I had to switch to white cotton thread instead of the white embroidery thread I was using. It's doing the design with some thread breaks in the top, but it's going. The thread breaks are making me sit and babysit very carefully. Usually i'll cut something out next to it while it's going but not this time ???

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
If you're still getting thread breaks, try a newer needle - maybe one with a larger eye.  And try moving your thread farther from the machine.  Even using the stand-up spindle instead of the horizontal one can make a difference.  Or turn your thread over so it feeds off the other way.  Slow down the machine if you can.  And sometime machines just hate some thread.  (I've tossed multiple spools of black C&C and one of brown that was 'curly' ???)  Never had a problem with light or white - but that's my machine, your results may vary.
I hope your sewing day today goes better.  And remember, Kohl's always has everything on sale. ;)

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 01:10:15 AM »
Well i've used the white embroidery thread countless times with no problems at all with lots of other embroideries. For some reason it's with these fsl designs that I'm having thread problems. I'm wondering if these particular designs were digitized for cotton thread or something. Maybe they're just digitized poorly. It's weird. Anyway, I got 3 done last night. Making cookies right now, and plan to do some more fsl in a little while. Then it's shirts. I'm doing the ornaments for my grandmother. She's had a rough year, with spinal surgery, not being able to eat anymore. I thought this would be the perfect fit for her.

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
Yes, maybe is it the design you're using.  Or your stabilizer?  Not all purchased designs are created equally.  But I suspect your G-mother will enjoy just being with you happy instead of having a craft and you unhappy.  Maybe she'd like a warm sweater or stole?  That you could whip up quickly and would be soft and warm?  Of nice fleece or velvet?  just thinking here.  Maybe take her a favorite movie and watch it with her?  I know it sucks when you have your heart set on a project and it doesn't work out well.  But try to remember that your disappointment may not be hers and she would just like to have some quality time with people she loves.

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
I figured out the problem. I think you mentioned it in an earlier post to. Plus it was written clearly in the instructions that I didn't bother to read >:D. SLOW the machine down... What a difference that made.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:35:47 AM by Emily »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics