Types of Sewing > Individual Projects, Projects in Progress, and UFOs

Butterick 4849 - Running quite large?

(1/1)

Gorgeous Things:
I'm working on Butterick 4849 - their version of the duro dress.  I'm doing a muslin of View C.  Since I'm making the final version from a matte jersey, I found a remnant of brown matte jersey in my stash and made the bodice up in a size 12.  I have not lost any weight lately, but this baby is big!  I have a good solid 4 inches of ease in the waistline, which is not what I expected.  Is anyone else working on this dress?  Have you noticed that it runs large as well? 

Ann

Doris W. in TN:
Ann - I am not working on that particular pattern but had the same problem with a Butterick dress several years ago.   The pattern was pulled from the catalog by the next season.   There is most likely a drafting error. :P

Gorgeous Things:
I suspect the same thing Doris.  I run into that with Vogue occasionally.  Maybe it was using the same algorithms.  Well, that's why you make a muslin, right?

Thanks!
Ann

Doris W. in TN:

--- Quote from: Gorgeous Things on September 18, 2006, 06:37:49 PM ---Well, that's why you make a muslin, right?
Ann

--- End quote ---

Absolutely.   Before I even make the muslin, I use my Kenneth King Moulage for all the necessary pattern adjustments.   I've seen some really strange pattern drafts coming from McCalls and Butterick lately.   Bust points all over the place, etc.   Some patterns never make it to the muslin stage anymore, and end up in the "tosser" category.   Well, "recycled paper" stack is more accurate.    Life is too short to fight with a bad pattern, IMHO.

I often wonder exactly what  block/sloper they are drafting from. ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version