Author Topic: Index of online Tutorials  (Read 17270 times)

Offline Marji

Index of online Tutorials
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
Hi all,
I've been given the go-ahead from the powers-that-be at SG to make a link list, and Lisa has made this sticky to the top, so if you want to post your favorite tutorials I'll work on putting them all into this post at the top and we'll have a somewhat comprehensive list of on-line tutorials for various sewing techniques.
I'll alphabetize it too, as time permits, by technique.
So, please add your favorite tutorials in subsequent posts, and then please forgive me for not attributing the link to you personally - unless of course, you wrote the tutorial.  ;D
pattern alteration and drafting
Dart Rotation
padstitching and shaping a Lapel Paco Peralta has written a very complete and fabulous tutorial on the technique for padstitching and shaping a Lapel and for The Great Coat Sewalong, and Tany has worked with Paco to do an English translation. Since that is a closed blog (will be open for viewing in about a month or so) he's also published the tutorial on his own blog in Spanish and on Tany's blog in Portugese and in English.
When clicking on Tany's blog you must check the box for the English translation AND uncheck the box for the Portugese, and it'll immediately switch over to English.
If you follow Paco's blog you know how exquisite his work is. I'm in awe of all the time and effort he put into the creation of this tutorial.

Tutorial for Lapels and Collars in a Tailored Coat/Jacket - in Spanish on Paco Peralta's site

Tutorial for Lapels and Collars in a Tailored Coat/Jacket - in English and Portugese on Tany's site

Tailoring
some excellent You Tube tutorials done by people from Otis College of Art and Design in California.
Stitching Techniques for the Tailored Jacket
Invisible Zipper
Railroad Zipper
Lap Zipper
:clickhere: if you want to see the 4 page listing of Otis College You Tube recordings.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:31:12 AM by Marji »
Marji

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
Re: Index of online Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Marji, great idea and thank you!

Offline Fabricarts

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
Are you thinking of something like Sigrid's excellent Sewing Tutorials? It is well organized and useful. :applause2: 
Thanks for starting this thread, Marji.
Miriam

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
Yes, thank you, Marji.  Finding and copying all of the tutorial links I come across was something I was beginning to do at home.  This would make it much easier.

Laura

Offline sewsy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
Sorry Marji! I didn't see this post until now. I posted your link to Mr. (Senor) Peralta's tutorial on another thread. It's so wonderful, just wanted everyone to partake!!!

Offline Fabricarts

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »
There are some excellent You Tube tutorials done by people from Otis College of Art and Design in California.
Stitching Techniques for the Tailored Jacket
Invisible Zipper
Railroad Zipper
Lap Zipper
:clickhere: if you want to see the 4 page listing of Otis College You Tube recordings. There are some on fashion design and, of course, other arts and design topics.

Miriam

Offline sewsy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
WOW!!!!  :laugh: :purple: :run: :pinkpom: Miriam!!!! Thank you SO much!!! Karma!! I was just watching Roberta Carr's Tailoring video the other day, and salivating over her masterful thread tracing and hand sewing. Earlier today, I was thinking I'd go over the video again, and pratice my hand sewing.

NOW, however, I have a tutorial WITH explanations!!! Spoken, not written!!! So fab! I could kiss you!!! Well, um, sorry to get so carried away  ;D. Ahem.

I can't tell you what an extreme pleasure it is to be able to read the wonderful (and HELPFUL) posts that everyone so generously contributes here. Wonderful!!! Just wonderful!!!

I'm off to watch more YouTube!!!  :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:50:39 PM by sewsy »

Offline Ody

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:44 AM »
Wonderful tutorials!!  BTW, I have all of Roberta Carrs and they are really great as well.  I learn so much by being able to watch teaching.  I absconded with my hd's old pants to tear the welt back pocket apart so I could see how to recreate it.

Offline Marji

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
I"m just posting so that those of us who only read posts based upon "unread posts" will see this.
Please see the first post in this thread.
Lisa has made the tutorial link thread "sticky" at the top, and I've been given the go-ahead to add on-line tutorials to this thread as an index.
So bring on your favorite tutorials, and I'll copy them into the first at the top, so that we have a nicely organized (I hope) index.

Marji

Offline sewsy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:03:16 AM »
I'd kinda like to have these YouTube tutorials on disc. Does anyone know how to save/burn something like this to a disc? Or, is it allowed?  ???

Offline sewsy

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »
I think that Liana's "Shirtmaking Tutorial" and Kathryn's "Jacket Tailoring" tutorial would be prime candidates for the listing.

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
and don't forget Ann R's welt pocket over on the Marlene slack thread.  I wasn't sure if it was proper to bring it over here without her permission.   ??? ???

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:19:59 PM »
OMGosh, and have Liana post her shoe covering tutorial.  (OW I'm going to have to locate when I get to that project!)   :)

Offline Fabricarts

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »
A few more online tutorials:
Kenneth D. King shows the making of a velvet, lined cloak.
Italian Luxe TV Watch Italian tailors at work. No English, only Italian spoken.
Made by Hand Blog Watch the handwork of an Italian tailor. Audio is only music, nothing spoken. Sewsy pointed out this wonderful link in the Chatter topic. I decided to add it here for future reference.
Hot Patterns Cabana T- Shirt:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Hot Patterns Superfantastic Shirt
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Hot Patterns Peasant Top
Part 1
Part 2
Hot Patterns Delicious Dresses
Part 1
Part 2
Hot Patterns A-Line and Pencil Skirt
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Hot PatternsTokyo Joe Top and Tunic

Offline sewsy

REALLY cool sewing instruction sites
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
I've been surfing this morning. Awhile back, I bookmarked this site and decided to click on it. Pretty wonderful stuff! He listed this site on his blog: :clickhere: Lots of good stuff here as well.

I know everyone probably is aware of these two tutorials, but I just thought that  I'd include them here as well:

Liana's Shirtmaking Tutorial

Kathryn's Jacket Making Journey

'Cause they're really cool, too.

Almost forgot!!  :-[ :P http://coatsewalong.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:26:25 PM by sewsy »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: REALLY cool sewing instruction sites
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
Thanks for the links.  This is the first time I've seen the coats from the Sew along.  I'd read about it but that was it.  Does anyone know what Pattern Ann of Gorgeous Fabrics used?  I could e-mail her but thought one of you might know.  All coats were fabulous!

Will have to check out the other links later or next time I'm home!!
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Offline sewsy

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »
Here's a couple more:

http://www.sawyerbrook.com/salon/tee-shirt-sew-along-f25/sewing-topic-200.html

Now, the above link is nice, but you've got to do a little work in order to see the four videos. I'm gonna try and post them all here:

http://www.sawyerbrook.com/salon/tee-shirt-sew-along-f25/sewing-topic-200.html#p955

http://www.sawyerbrook.com/salon/tee-shirt-sew-along-f25/sewing-topic-200-15.html#p971 to view the remaining videos, just scroll down a bit.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
Here's Marcy Tilton sample YouTube video's explaning how she fits her tee shirt pattern: (just scroll down a bit)

http://www.marcytilton.com/index.php?cid=195

Offline sewsy

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
This thread really belongs in the Index of Online Tutorials thread started by Marji. If one of the administrators could clean up my mess, and add these posts to that thread, I'd be grateful. Sorry 'bout that.  :P :-[

Offline evac

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »

GREAT.   I am so glad I found this.  I love all tutorials.   Keep up the good work.  Thanks

Offline melissamade

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 04:16:35 AM »
wow!!!!! ;D   this is fantastic.  thank you all for these links!!

Offline mfedna

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
How incredibly kind of you! This is just what I need! Thank you!

Offline jsews

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »
Thank you!  this should be quite helpful.

Jean
Devote yourself to an idea. Go make it happen.  Struggle on it; overcome your fears.   Smile!  Donít you forget - this is your dream!

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
Thanks! There are some great tutorials at www.sewaholic.com. Her "Sewtionary" is very good. She has a sew along for each pattern she sells. Even if you don't get the pattern, the step by step tutorials remain on the blog under the "Sewalong" tag to help tackle details like darts, french seams, inserting a pocket, etc. It's a great site for younger people who sew. I have not tried her patterns as they are in her words described for more "pear shapes" and I am busty, but people seem to really enjoy them. They are basic, but detailed enough to keep  one interested. I may join the Minoru coat sew along as she included a guest post about a FBA on it. Great info.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:33:40 PM by bela saudade »

Offline Syndi

• What doesn't kill me-makes me stronger
    • Picasa
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
I had posted awhile back about how to add a contrast band to a shirt, but there was no definative answer.  I came across this tutorial on how to add a yoke to a neckline, and I would think you could use the same technique to add a contrast band.  I originally posted this in Patterns & Instructions- not realizing there was this section in the forum-joycep directed me here....so happy there is  a place for this and will visit often to add to my learning :)
Here is the link:
http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/lace-yoke-tutorial
Syndi
ETA: Just visited the Sewaholic Blog...super!...great.....so happy I can come here and find all these great tutorials! :purple: :applause2:
Thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:52:31 PM by Syndi »

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »
Oh...just remembered today....Ann R's welt pocket tutorial .....would love to easily go back to that!
Thanks  ;D

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
Tailored Sleeve Placket
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post this.....

I am working on my skills and techniques for making shirts and blouses.  I bought the Sandra Betzina Power Sewing Shirts and Blouses and think it is a great video.
The section, on the DVD, on sleeve plackets was a new technique that I've never used before.  In any pattern I've made, the pattern piece for the sleeve placket was a "continuous placket", which was always difficult to maneuver and didn't have a nice clean finish. 
I am currently working on my first blouse that I want to apply this new technique and of course the "continuous placket" was what was used in my pattern.

I've come across this written tutorial, with the "pattern piece" for the technique that Sandra used and was so happy that I would like to share:   ;D
Syndi
http://www.surefitdesigns.com/Shirt_Plackets_AS.pdf
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:46:58 PM by Syndi »

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
Re: Index of online Tutorials- Pam Erney's Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
Pamela Erny has posted some nice modifications on necklines for knits....this is a new one: Split Collar
Her Blog: Off the Cuff Sewing Style http://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:12:15 PM by Syndi »

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
Just posting to bring this wonderful thread to the top.  We have so many new members and guests who may benefit from it.  SG is such a great and resourceful sewing site!!
Deb

Living in Northwest Missouri

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
Tutorial:  Bias Tape Alternative

http://www.sbccpatterns.com/bias-tape-alternative/

Interesting.  I will definitely try this.

~Joy~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »
Neat tutorial from Nancy Zieman (Sewing With Nancy PBS TV Show host):

Sew a Versatile Knit Wrap Perfect for Any Season

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-general/sew-a-versatile-knit-wrap-perfect-for-any-season/

Accompanying video:

http://www.nancysnotions.com/category/video+demos/versatile+knit+wrap.do?sortby=newArrivals&sortType=1

~Joy~
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:22:31 PM by Morejoy »
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Pina

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »
How to Make Clothes Look Vintage and Worn. Customizing your clothes and making them look vintage and worn can be a great way to set your standard clothes apart from the crowd.The following steps provide numerous ways to turn your new into old,while still retaining a great style.

Offline laantigua

• La Antigua
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
Wow, what a wealth of information! Thank you very much for putting this together.

Offline Smockerlady

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Hi there,

Just found this Thread................Thank you so so much its a fantastic resource.
I Would like to mention that  the blog, Made by Hand - the great sartorial debate, is none other than the wonderful Jeffery Diduch, a truly amazing young Canadian Tailor.

His blog has been quite for a while now as he had an accident with his hand as is recovering from surgery and it will take time. Jeffery is so generous with his help and guidance. A terrific guy. Yes, I am a fan!!

Check out the amazing postings on hand worked buttonholes, they are simply exquisite. Don't you just wish you sit there with him..................what a master!!
There are many pictures from other tailors, so the whole range of buttonholes, worked by other Tailors too. Jeffery goes into the varying styles, with examples of Italian style buttonholes and other tailors have pitched in to show examples too. 

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
I really like the grainline bias necklines tutorial at
http://grainlinestudio.com/2012/02/15/sewing-tutorial-getting-flat-bias-necklines/
and used this on the blouse I am wearing in my current Avatar photo.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics