Author Topic: Wardrobe and Capsule planning references  (Read 151662 times)

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
Re: Wardrobe and Capsule planning references
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »

I hate the way everyone keeps suggesting you go through your closet.  It's like the clothes you have should influence what you need to buy or make or something.

Elizabeth

:rotfl:

Just close the closet door and don't think about it!
That's what I do.

Just kidding (sortof)

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »
Its very time consuming though isn't it, going through the wardrobe? So I really sympathise.
I must really do something about mine though because I keep getting dressed in stuff which is too big and that's a very sloppy look.
I also have clothes which fit again now but which I suspect are a little out of date, plus things I sewed which never quite came out right but I'm attached to because of the work I put into them.

I'll confess here if you promise not to tell anyone, that I largely dress from the clean laundry pile since there is no room in the wardrobe to put the stuff I actually wear away!!

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
I do the same thing, Ruthie.  If ... I mean WHEN I go through my closet, I will create a large pile to donate and a big empty space in my closet.

Most of what I wear is recently sewn.  My body and my taste and my needs all changed a lot in the last couple of years.

That's the reason for my interest in wardrobe sewing.  I need a new one!

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 11:35:13 PM »
I'll confess here if you promise not to tell anyone, that I largely dress from the clean laundry pile since there is no room in the wardrobe to put the stuff I actually wear away!!

We will keep this our "clean" little secret.  I only partially dry clothes in the dryer, just enough warm them up and make wrinkles easier to shake out.  Then they transfer to hangers on the "drying rod" in the laundry room.  Seems we are all in the habit of checking the rod before bedtime and picking the next days wear.  When checking, would it occur to us to grab all that is dry and take it to our own closets?  Goodness NO! LOL!

jodi

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
You are not alone!  I tend to dress from the dryer on a regular basis, I pull out what I want to wear, iron it, and leave the rest for the next day...  The worst thing I do, though, if we are confessing, is that sometimes I get dressed in the garage.  If I have stuff from the cleaners in the car, I will go downstairs to the garage in, say, shoes,  undies and shirt, and just put on the pants straight from the back seat (before opening the garage door, of course.  Doubt my neighbor needs to see that at 7am!)  I have things that have been hanging on the laundry room rack forever, they go from there, to wear, to wash, and back to the rack, never making it to the closet. 

Last weekend I (with major help) did a major reorganization of the sewing room.  Now I can sew unfrettered, but have no place to put away what I make.  This weekend I am working on my bedroom and living room.  Next weekend I work, but sometime soon I also need to do the "pull it all out and get rid of most."  I don't have room in the closet for the things I wear routinely (a lot of stuff also lives hanging on the doorfacing), and the inside of the closets need painting anyway.  Seems just when I get a handle on one thing, something else rises up and demands attention!  K

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:21 AM »
...  The worst thing I do, though, if we are confessing, is that sometimes I get dressed in the garage.  If I have stuff from the cleaners in the car, I will go downstairs to the garage in, say, shoes,  undies and shirt, and just put on the pants straight from the back seat (before opening the garage door, of course.  Doubt my neighbor needs to see that at 7am!) ...

:rotfl:

That is hilarious!

So I guess you understand how "moving" into my little condo was no sweat.  I took a laundry basket of clothes for the week and I was set.

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 03:31:47 AM »
Okay, you've all convinced me.

I have a very small closet and only a few drawers.  I tend to hang on to clothes for sentimental reasons.  I need 2 wardrobes, home/casual and work.  My tendency is chose favorite clothes and stick with them, but I don't get rid of the ones I quit wearing.  I might decide I like them again :) 

I also have started to care about style instead of just sticking with plain classics.  That's why I'm so drawn to this capsule idea.  And if I plan, I can have maximum flexiblility with minimal pieces and not feel guilty when I decide to replace them.

So this makes the wardrobe / capsule planning a perfect idea for me.  I better get with it!

And Karen, It's nice that you keep the garage door shut while you dress!  I'm just happy to know that there are others who have been expelled from Martha Stewart's school posting here!  (no offensed intended)

jodi

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »

As long as you don't dress from the dirty laundry pile...

Offline Carla

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
All good points - I was just joking, which didn't come through without a smiley I think.

Ooops.  Sorry.  No, without the smiley I didn't get it, you're right.  I guess that post will be my lecture for the month.  Don't anyone let me get onto the soapbox again, OK?

Spurred on by Ms. Jennifer Skinner, I went through my closet again (I usually do this in the spring) and tried to be more ruthless this time.  The never-fitting housecoat my husband gave me 20 years ago?  Gone!  (But he doesn't know it — please don't tell him; he'll be hurt.)  The shoes which hurt my feet and I thought I might be able to wear anyway?  Gone!  The skirt which has nice lines but a yucky print?  Gone! 

Whew.  I feel better.
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands...    Proverbs 31:13

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »
Carla, sounds like a good start.  I'm like Jodi (and by the way, not offended at all!  Martha Stewart would likely have a heart attack if she saw my house and yard, or my office for that matter.  Organization is not my middle name.  I can, however, handle two unstable heart attacks at one time, in fact I love stuff like that.  I bet even SHE can't do that!  We all have our strengths.)  I tend to keep a bag in my closet floor and periodically toss in things I run across that don't fit, will never fit, don't like or don't go with anything else.  I drop it off at one of the local charities when it gets full.  It is a fairly random process, however, and there are things hanging in there that I haven't put on for several years that I think I might wear someday but never seem to.  And I have a guest room closet absolutely crammed with things, to the point I don't know what's in there.  I have no official coat closet, so coats are in there, also formal and semi-formal wear, and lots of other odds and ends that don't fit anywhere else.  Although I did recently free up about a foot of hanging space of maybe a dozen sets of scrubs and jackets I no longer wear.  It's still packed.  I need to unload both closets, clean and paint, and then try on everything and only put back what fits, what I wear, and what has pieces to go with it.  I figure it will take a month of concentrated effort, or a long weekend like Labor Day.  My "next" big project, ha!  I do have substantial stash of fabrics I really like, in coordinated pieces, and I want to start using my newly remodeled sewing room more.  If only this day job didn't impinge so much on my free time!  K

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
Last weekend I (with major help) did a major reorganization of the sewing room.  Now I can sew unfrettered, but have no place to put away what I make.  This weekend I am working on my bedroom and living room.

karent made me promise (swear on a stack of knitting books ;)) that I wouldn't clean up her bedroom while she was at work. :laughalot:   The only other rule was to not let the dogs out.  Not sure which was the bigger challenge for me, those corgies are quick. :rotfl:  I didn't open the guest closet door. 
I dumped some stuff off yesterday that had been rolling around in the trunk of the car for months.  I still have a bag in my closet and a ton o' stuff that should be pulled out of my closet.  I took some "fat clothes" to storage the other day, but still am not happy with what's left.  And I'm not going to discuss shoes  :-[.
I'm mentally pulling stuff together for fall/winter.  I have a lot of green/brown wools (& blends) and some corduroy.  I'm thinking for less than office wear, as my office really requires suits, etc.   But my casual wardrobe could use some improvement, only the really touristy tourists wear jeans and tees to dinner around here.  And seep into "casual Friday" or days when I go to other job sites/offices. 

Offline Towanda

• Life is sew sew good
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
The closet in our bedroom are so small that you can't hang any clothes in it. So we turned a spare bedroom into the closet room. This works really well. I have room for my clothes and a pegboard that holds my jewelry. I have a place to hang my PMB patterns. The room even has enough space for DH's clothes. I do need more racks for my shoes. I did clean out my closet almost a month ago but the clothes are sitting on a chair. I looked in the closet room yesterday and realized that I've turned it into a nightware that needs to be straightened and reorganized. I hate to do laundry and it seems like we are never home enough to get it done. So I pick out what to wear based on what is clean.

After reading this thread I need to  go back and be more ruthless in cleaning out my closet. I need to do laundry. I've been giving clothes and unfinished UFOs to one of my employees. She keeps asking me where are the rest of her clothes. She knows that they are sitting in the chair. I just need to bag them up and drag them to work. I think that I will also weed out some more UFOs and take everything to her this week.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »
We should have a clean-along, just like we have sew-alongs.

I also need to empty out, and paint closets.
And the majority of what comes out will not go back in.

Offline Linda Dean

• www.prosewenterprises.com
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
I took two of Nancy Nix-Rice's classes at ASG Conference.  I also had her personal color consultation.  I can't wait to get my fabric swatches and see what colors I look best in.  She told me that she hope to develop a class for next year's conference on the right clothes for different figure types and something else I can't remember.  I found out we were both born and grew up in northwest Louisiana and she went to high school with my exhusband.  So I did not ask as many questions during our consultation that I should have.  Nancy's book is very good and I would recommend it.
when I cleaned out my closet earlier this year, I found that I have a closet full of orphans.  I really need to work on getting them a family.
Linda

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
Oh Robin, a CleanALong!  Great idea.  We could share photos, thereby negating the ability to lie about how much has been done!  Once the Coat SewAlong (in which I am also quite behind, but still have the ability to catch up) is done, perhaps a pre-swap cleanalong would be in order.  Clear the decks for the new stuff!  I'm in.  K

Add: and maybe a "sendalong".  Send something you don't need to someone who wants it.  We might be able to keep the USPS in business!  K
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:45:57 AM by karent »

Offline CarolTrendall

• Sew, I've Been Thinking ...
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 05:12:02 AM »
I love the idea of a cleanalong and making it preSWAP is perfection.  It's funny how the commitment to do something with others manages to spur one on and makes us achieve things that we COULD do on our own, but somehow never get around to!

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Now that's a contest I could finish!  I'm an inveterate closet purger.  The only problem is I don't have enough clothes now, but I always found that I never had enough when it was full because I didn't like or couldn't wear a whole bunch of them.  Now at least I can see it. 

I only have 50cm of linear closet space, that's 20 inches or just over 1 1/2 feet. My goal is to get a wonderful versatile wardrobe into that space.  I am actually making progress - when I packed for this trip, I didn't cry because I had nothing to wear - this is a real breakthrough.

There are still a few drawers that have the charity shop bags calling though.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
I'll do it if you will!
I know that if I post the "before" pictures, it will definitely motivate me to finish!
Too embaressing otherwise.

Labor day weekend sounds good- any other suggestions?
If the SWAP stays on its current schedule, it won't start til Jan 1.

Offline ElaineMC

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
Can we have (informal) prizes with the clean-a-long? 
  • oldest thing tossed
  • oldest thing kept
  • smallest space
  • etc?

It might help motivate pictures!

-EMC

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
* biggest discard pile
* ugliest garment tossed
* Most illfitting garment tossed
* Most HATED (I already won that one!) item tossed
* Most expensive item with the tags still on it.  :-[
* Most items with the tags stil on them.

Nope, I've got NO closet issues, nope, nope, nope.  Never been down that road.  Don't know what you guys are talkling about. :rotfl:

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
We've gotta do it!! Someone go start the new thread.
I even packed for my trip from the clean laundry basket, and left the stuff I didn't want to bring in the basket - there is almost no hope for me.

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »
I am a bit freightened by what I would find, but I am in...

jodiw

Offline Morzel

• Hamburg, Germany
    • Blog
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
Thanks Ruthie for that first articles on wardrobing! I like Skinnerīs idea of one base colour, adding just a few accent colours. And, like many of you, I also arrived at the conclusion, that a Swap with one jacket is difficult to manage, if you include skirts and pants. Somehow I think there are jackets for pants and jackets for skirts... So, a capsule thing where not everything has to go with everything, but only with some things, sounds better to me now. It leaves room for style varieties.

I just read a nice little book, called "The Lucky shopping manual". It made me actually listing my wardrobe needs, the basics - or at least what I *think* my needs are ("All theory, dear friend, is gray"). Apropos gray - great base colour for me!  ;D  And base colour is just it: As it is, I do own some of these basic wardrobe needs. But I cannot wear them together, as they donīt colour match! But I promise improvement... :teu45:

Got another article, on travel clothes: http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/2007/02/your-travel-wardrobe.html

Eva
Eva

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 05:03:39 AM »
Eva, I read Lucky magazine, and I've wondered whether that book would be worth getting. Sounds like you like it.

I ran across a new-to-me style blog today, Youlookfab, and I thought a couple of her posts were interesting and relevant to the discussion on different silhouettes needed on top with different bottoms: Different tops with skirts and pants; The right length top for tops with pants
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
http://www.pier55.com/Beauty-Fashion/Build-Wardrobe-Women.shtml

This one seems to be familiar with the original SWAP article.

Offline Tully

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
I do think older women can wear black and other darks if they are careful with hair, makeup and accessories, and if it suits them to begin with.

i'm curious so many do advise avoiding black and brights as one ages.  I'm early 50's with bright silvery hair - used to be dark brown.   Brown-greenish eyes - the green only seen close up.  When younger, several Color Me Beautiful consultants put me in the Autumn range but I never got complements wearing those colors.   As my hair turned to silver, I did the Beauty for All Seasons colors and was a "contrasting opalescent summer" with deeper/brighter blue based colors, including black and clear browns both, also clear yellow - all the colors I got complements on.   I liked this system as used a computer program to develop your own colors based on the consultant's skin and hair and eye matches.   
Several makeup consultants put my skin in both the pink based and ylw based color ranges and said I was one of those "rare" people who could go with a wide range of colors.   My Mom is black-haired with dark eyes, my dad a green-eyed blonde so maybe genes contributed to my "rareness"!
I don't think I'm that rare in that I doubt most of us are all so easily lumped into just 4 color groups.

A friend, in her 70's, continued to wear black eyeliner until several of us suggested she try going without it - she looked much younger.  However, she dyes her hair a strawberry color and then wears mostly oranges and browns.  She has deep blue eyes and looks beautiful in bright jewel tones but we can't convince her they are more flattering as she was also told years ago that she was an Autumn.  She may want to stay in denial as has beautiful expensive Autumn fabrics in her stash!   :lost: :lost:

A couple of years ago, a picture of myself in lighter blue pants and top made me look all faded - have not done that since even tho I loved the silk twill I made the pants with.   Now I wear navy, black, deep grey, or brown pants.  Can't wear Khaki  pants either except maybe with a fuschia or deep blue top.   So as my hair finishes turning all silver, I wonder what the effect will be.  We probably do need to adapt colors as we age but doubt we will all age into the non-black and paler colors group!

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »
My Mum is in her mid 60's. She looks absolutely stunning in black, or in pure white, or bright clear reds and jewel tones. She has silvery hair and blue-grey eyes. When she wears muted soft shades she looks ill. On the other hand, when I wear black, I look as if I am in my mid 60's and have jaundice. I am not sure that age has a lot to do with which colours you should wear.
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »
I am in my early 60's (egad, is it possible  ;) ) and I just recently had my colors done.  I'm a Spring and find that the bright colors which appeal to me are the ones I should wear.  Previously, I thought perhaps I was an autumn as I like spice colors - it turns out those are recommended for me as well.  I had collected a lot of black fabrics, thinking easy elegance, but it seems I shouldn't wear black at all.  I thought the color analysis was very interesting.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »
I had my colours analysed a few months back too, under the new UK Colour Me Beautiful, this no longer uses the old 4 season method.
On this I came out Clear and Warm - a contrasting and colourful look.
So I'm not an Autumn as I had thought recently, but instead a Contrasting Spring, I have to be careful of the more muted colours but can wear brights with darks as long as the undertone is neutral or warm.
I discovered that RED is one of my best colours but my stash doesn't have much red which I will need to rectify!!

Whatever the system its definitely worth treating yourself to colour analysis, as it helps with wardrobe co-ordination too as the colours tend to work well together.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:59:15 PM by RuthieK »

Offline Towanda

• Life is sew sew good
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
When I was cleaning up yesterday, I found a snip of conversation about wardrobe building that I had printed out from some discussion. I don't remember where I found it so I don't know who to thank for these thoughts. I hope that they don't mind if I paraphase parts of their comments.

"One thing I've learned is that I need basic pieces in denim, khaki and black. So I planned pants, skirts (knee & long), jumper, capris, shorts and jacket in each of those 3 colors. Once I have those, I have more freedom to make kooky pieces and know there's a basic bottom or jacket to match"

If I have enough yards of one fabric in the stash. I think that I might try using her approach except for the kooky pieces. I will try to squeeze as many garments as possible out of the fabric. This might take a while since I have a basket filled with fabrics that is crawling up the wall waiting for their turn at the cutting table.

Thanks to the original author of the idea. It just reminds me of the impact of the connection between sewers on the internet and the influence on my sewing journey.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Licarrit

• Trying to find the intersection of Less and Better
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
I see some familiar names here so I have some off topic questions. I have been out of the sewing circle for a while with our recent move and my sewing room is still a sea of boxes but I am getting the itch again. I saw that Julie is no longer in business which breaks my heart, is SWAP still going to continue? ??? I get more sewing done then than at any other time in the year. I got rid of bunches of clothes pre-move but actually setting up our new closet is a nightmare. It is a long skinny walk-in (5' x 20') and yes complaining about it is like complaining about being too beautiful. 

I've missed this site so much, and can't wait to get back to sewing! I have such plans...

Offline Karendee

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2008, 12:07:16 AM »
Licarrit,

Our moderators and administrators here at SG have graciously stepped up to the plate to sponsor our SWAP 2009. With Julie's blessing the SWAP has been turned over to the SG administrators to continue the contest. We here at SG are thrilled that the contest will continue, because we are well aware of the time, effort, and money that Julie spent in the SWAP's implementation. Thanks be to our mighty crew! :purple: :purple: :purple:

Karend

Offline Licarrit

• Trying to find the intersection of Less and Better
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2008, 01:03:21 AM »
Yay!  ;D Truth be told it was never about the prizes, I just loved the challenge and comraderie. Well, getting a new pattern at the end of it all was fun! I'm glad to hear it will continue.

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
I just read about a couple new books coming out (both next month, I believe) about fashion and wardrobe planning:

Lucky mag is coming out with another book, this one called The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style. They take 10 'signature looks' and show pieces that work along with photos of celebs w/ that style, etc.

Also, Isaac Mizrahi has a new book, called How to Have Style. There's a short spread about it in this month's Glamour, with some tips and photos. His list of '10 closet essentials' is: an LBD, a slim skirt, white jeans, a sturdy loafer, a matching sweater set, a white button-down, sunglasses that flatter your face, a snug-fitting blazer, high-heel sandals, and the perfect bra.
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics