Author Topic: Baby Lock Pro line BL4-738  (Read 12043 times)

Offline MrsGalihad

• My Flicker Pics
Baby Lock Pro line BL4-738
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
I've been looking for an inexpensive serger and saw this on Craig's list.  The asking price is $100.  Is it a decent machine and is it worth that price? 

Offline Misha

Re: Baby Lock Pro line BL4-738
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
The older Babylock models are really great sergers.  I traded in my simliar model for a Coverlock machine and the price that my dealer put on my old serger was $399.
On my serger I had to change the plate to do a rolled hem but I think the 4738 has a built in rolled hem adjustment. It should have an easy threading lower looper. I think there is an elastic and tape guide built into the presser foot. It probably takes a DCX1F needle not to be confused with the DX1 which is a mistake that I made at one time. Some BL models do take the DX1 among other needles like BLXN etc. These are round shank industrial needles and really not as easy to change out as the flat shank type of needle.
If you decide to purchase this serger, I hope you enjoy it and would love to know what you think of it. I think for $100 and it is in working order that it is worth the price.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:11:29 PM by Misha »

Offline kath

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
The prolines are a second line of sergers, not made to the specs of the TOL models.  I would find out from the seller why they are selling it.  If it won't hold tensions it is not worth it.  That sais I have a TOL babylock that from 1988, and it is still a wonderful 2-3-4 seger

Offline Misha

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:03 AM »
Kath, what model is your BL? I used to sell BL's way back then. The older Proline models are pictured in the book, Know Your Babylock from 1990. Almost all sergers pictured and featured are Proline models and had more TOL new features at that time because they featured easier threading loopers, differential feed, one turn rotation of the tension dial instead of multiple rotations.  Differential Feed was the new added feature at that time and added to these ProLine models where older but similar looking models lacked the DF and were not ProLine. These ProLine were enclosed units that never needed oiling by the owner.  All of these models were distinguished by number but looked much the same but maybe had a different colored stripe on them and all were the sergers that were developed before the newer plastic Pro Line models and before the first model with BL's patented air threading system. These older models still used the round shank industrial type needles.

The plastic Pro line models that came about afterwards are not the same sergers. i saw one on ebay once and it had plastic casing and not at all the same serger and I don't know where it was made.
The 4738 is one of the sergers featured in the Babylock book and it was before the indtroduction of the air threading. These Early Pro Line models were made to specs in the same factory in Japan.
I purchased mine at the time with an employee discount and the new air threading BL just hit our store.  I liked my particular model over some of the others because it was a 4 thread with DF and could also do a chain stitch beside the serged over edge and also a single chain stitch, besides the regular 2, 4 and 3 thread overlocks. After many years of use the serger was still in top condition and when I traded it in for a new coverlock my dealer said they sure don't make them like they used to and priced it for sale for bascially what I paid for it with my employee discount years ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:12:51 AM by Misha »

Offline MrsGalihad

• My Flicker Pics
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
Thanks so much for all the info.  I got a response today from the person who posted the ad and will call them to arrange to see it.  I'm going to bring some fabric scraps with me so I can see it run.  Any tips on what to watch out for?

Offline kath

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
I have a 5280E.  it is self oiling and has differential feed. it is a two three, four thread. tensions are stable
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:39:53 AM by kath »

Offline Misha

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »
Kath,  yes, your model serger is in the Know Your Babylock book.   If you are interested in the book it is by Naomi Baker and Tammy Young. Besides pictures and lists of features of older model BL sergers the book is great in showing all the different techiques and  projects that can be done. I think this book is interesting even for those that have serged many years. Some techniques shown in the book, besides regular flatlocking there is corded and safety stitch flatlocking, bound buttonholes and several types of hemstitching and fagoting, braiding and double serged binding. It is my favortie serger book of all. Being this is an older book it does not include anything about cover hem though.

I just noticed the model that is being inquired about is a 4738 there is also a 4738D. Only the 4738D has the differential feed.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics