Author Topic: looking for fabric suitable for jackets/anoraks for cross-country skiing  (Read 2372 times)

Offline sewingfluffinator

Hi all,
I am looking for a source of fabric for making jackets for myself, DH and DD for cross-country skiing. I have already bought Jalie 2213 as a pattern. I have done some looking, but given I have not sewn this type of garment before I am not completely sure what to use. I am also hoping to make leggings (already have fabric and pattern for long underwear), so if you have a fabric suggestion for those, please let me know. It would have to be something that would dry quickly, given that some of us in our family have a tendency to fall a few times while skiing ::)

Any fabric or store suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just to let you know I am in Ottawa, Ontario and we can get some pretty cold winters and the wind can be strong (although we do try to pick trails that in the woods so the wind isn't such an issue).

TIA,
Debbie

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
Debbie

try http://www.therainshed.com/ or Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. Those are 2 I have come across in my random, late night,  fabric searching; there are probably others. I cannot speak to their quality or service, however.

HTH

Offline kayyy

• The Sewing Lawyer
Hey Debbie - check out Textile Outfitters (they are in Calgary).  I know there is some fancy way to make the words a link but I forget how.  They are at http://www.justmakeit.com/

Or we could go to Montreal again... >:D

Kay

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
ooooh, Kayy, thanks - another late night browsable site!

Thanks Betsy and Kay, I will check out these sites.

Oh Kay, were we not supposed to go back to Montreal in the spring and stay overnight for some extended shopping for fabrics??? Must discuss this Saturday!

Thanks again,
Debbie

Offline Digs

Debbie,
You may also wish to check out Mill Direct Textiles; some of their stuff is both weatherproof & breathable.
Digs.

Thanks Digs, I will check them out as well. I think part of my dilemma is that I have never sewn this type of jacket before and I am a bit unsure of what I should be using in the first place! I am sure I can ask this type of question of the vendor, but if anyone has any favourites please let me know.
Debbie

Offline Rosemary

• fabricfan's blog
http://www.sundroptextiles.com/

Sundrop is a store in Coquitlam B.C. They have a great selection of rain fabrics, plus they sell Green Pepper, Jalie and Kwik Sew patterns.

Offline Elona

Powerstretch is great for stretchable leggings and tights.  It's neither fuzzy nor heavy, but just really nice stuff.  Also good for stretchy tops:

http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/dept2.asp?dept=15&id=08145650701772012662599

If you ask, milldirect (used to be Malden, sigh) will send quickly send you a wonderful sample set.  Each year, I get a new lot so I'm armed for Christmas sewing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:00:51 PM by Elona »

Thanks for the site Rosemary, I forgot about sundrop! Also thanks for the link for powerstretch Ellona, I think I will order some swatches from a few places and then decide. I am also going back to the shop where we bought our skis to take a look at the coats, so I can get an idea of what I need to sew.

This group is just so helpful, I really appreciate it.
Debbie

Offline Threads

Looking at the pattern that you have selected, what you want to buy is a heavy shell fabric, probably a waterproof breathable.  That's what you would see in RTW for that style.  Good choices are gore-tex, coated supplex, ultrex, etc.  They are surprisingly easy to work with, but use a thin, sharp needle.

I have bought mountains of fabric from www.rosecitytextiles.com for every possible athletic/outdoor clothing purpose - they have incredible prices and selection, but can be a little confusing to order from at first, because the site is more oriented to wholesale customers.  If you call the home sewers division, though, they can walk you through it (Annette Leiser, 503-224-5666 ext. 111).  The benefit is that you will spend half what it would cost through Textile Outfitters or Malden Mills.
At RCT, if you go to http://www.rosecitytextiles.com/product-browser.aspx and select W/P/B/ TM they list about a dozen different types in various weights and colors, but at that point it's best to get on the phone to Annette to find out what will work, and get some swatches. 

If you want to use powerstretch, which is a nice option for X-country ski jackets; or one of the "soft-shell" fleece fabrics, I would choose a different pattern.  Jalie has several that sew up really well - I have made a number of their patterns and am always happy with them.

Offline blue mooney

Another one to check out (just so you feel like you've really shopped:
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

I've only done business with them once, and they weren't the fastest, but the fabric was very nice, and reasonably priced.

Thanks Threads for all your suggestions. When it gets closer to the end of summer I will definitely give her a call. It is so much easier actually talking to someone. I do want to stick with the pattern I picked out because it suits our weather very well. If it warmer, I already have fleece style jackets I can wear instead.

Thanks as well Robyn, after checking out all these sites I will have, I hope, a better understanding of the different fabric choices out theres. Or I will be totally confused :o

Cheers,
Debbie

Offline Threads

I have been very pleased with Jalie patterns - the one you have looks like a good choice.  If jackets wore out faster I would be making that pattern (it's in my stash) - as it is, there is no good reason to make another shell right now.  But my Jalie patterns for workout wear have been getting good use for a few years now.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics