Author Topic: American Girl patterns  (Read 12235 times)

Offline famorose

American Girl patterns
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
I would like to converse with someone who has made clothes for the American Girl Doll.
There are 3 dolls in our house now & the grandchildren & their friends keep asking for more!

I'm sure the AGD company doesn't let designers copy ver-batim so I've scoured the Internet for something similar to
this specific dress request but have yet to come up with one.
It's in several AGD catalogs shown on the same page along with a forest green & gold Colonial riding outfit.

Felicity/Elizabeth/ Colonial?/Bright Coral/Pink 3 piece dress. Under skirt in a white tone on tone that has velcro openings on each side, snap-in bodice piece with pleats & 3 ribbons, over-dress with lace down each front side & lace sleeve cuffs. A little lace doily on her head.

I could probably use the few patterns I have & tear my hair out trying to create this dress from odd pieces but it will take forever & drive me up a wall with the fit.

Any doll clothes sewers that might have seen a similar pattern on line? I've spent two weeks checking sites & have only covered half of what's out there!
Thanks, FranA.

Offline SuziQz

Re: American Girl patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with the doll dress you are referring to.  However, you can download some American Girl patterns in HERE - they are rather large pdf files.  HTH

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
Fran,
Post your question here.  It is another topic discussion on SG on sewing for dolls.  There are lots of great info there.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this posting got merged into that one.
Linda
New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline famorose

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
Sorry about posting in the wrong thread.

Apparently some of the dress patterns that are not being sold anymore are on line & I found the one I wanted.

Thanks all for steering me to the right places. I'm a happy camper now!
FranA.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
Sorry about posting in the wrong thread.

Fran, starting a new thread is never "wrong"! ;)  If we think it needs to be merged with another (or moved to another area as I did w/ this one) we'll do it.  It's actually much harder to separate out discussions from some of the more "general discussion" threads.  (There's are often posts that include material that would belong in the new "separate" thread, as well as the old one! :o  And since the software doesn't permit us to put a post in both places  ::) :P We end up having to make a decision about which thread it belongs in "more."   :-\ ???

So no need to appologize...I'm glad you found what you wanted!  :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »
I do not really want to start a new thread for this but was hoping somebody here could fill me in with some info.  DGD received a Madame Alexander 18" doll for Christmas.  She would not let go with it long enough for me to take her clothes off and look at her.  I did see though that her body is soft and then her arms and legs were hard.  Does anybody know if AG patterns will fit this doll?  Is AG hard bodied throughout?  I have never had the clothes off an AG doll either so I am not sure?

Also, can anybody recommend an 18" doll that is configured the same as an AG doll?  However that is?  I love the Madame Alexander face but if AG dolls are hard, I would like one like that?  My objection to AG has nothing to do with price or company philosophy or anything like that.  I just do not care for their faces.  You know how it is......personal preference etc.

TIA, Stash
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Hey Stash,
18" American girls have a soft torso as well.  We have 2 "official" american girl dolls, and one 18" doll from Target that's similiar, but a bit wider at the waist. All the AGD patterns that I have from Simplicity and from the doll clothes books fit both dolls... we just use elastic waists for the pants and skirts. 

I would start by making a dress or jumper for the doll from an AGD pattern, and seeing if that fits.  Most 18" dolls seem to be about the same dimensions, so unless you're going for a super fitted outfit, you should be ok.   :)

Offline famorose

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
Stash,
I just finished a big box of clothes for our AG dolls that my grand daughters are beginning to collect. The torso on the AM doll is fairly hard but cloth covered. I was able to use very small pins in it.  
(I'm out in the mid-west for Christmas & can't check it). The legs & arms are hard plastic.

The PDF file that SusieQu mentions here is a good way to start. I found those patterns to be a bit small but easy to alter. The Simplicity pattern seems to be a bit larger.

Hope this helps.
FranA.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
Thank you!  I have done a little research and also got another MA doll to keep here at home for my model.  Below are pics that compare the Madame Alexander 18" doll to the AG dolls.  They are almost the same size, shaped slightly differently.  This is just an FYI for anybody that might be interested.  The MA doll is the blond one on the left.  AG on the right.  I don't remember where I ran across these photos so cannot properly attribute.

Stash

"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
*LOL*  As usual we Americans have a little more tush and are a little rounder!...said very tongue-in-cheek!!!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:02:18 AM »
Indeed! ha.   ;D

I've been sewing a few outfits from Simple and Stylish Patterns for my doll- she's wearing right now a nice vneck black and white gingham dress that I just tried and failed to photograph which is loosely based on one from the book.  I'll have to try again on photos when it's light out.  Of course Kate also put the ice skates on both our dolls, so they are super stylish in dresses and skates at the moment.   8) 

Anyway, that book has been getting much more use than Sew Today's Fashions. Fewer outfits, but I like the shapes in Simple & Stylish a bit better.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
Do you have to "own" an AG doll in order to get a catalogue?  If you do order a catalogue, how long does it take to get it?  Also, can you order AG accessories out of the catalogue if you have not purchased a doll from them?

Stash

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 07:26:30 PM »
You definitely don't need to own an AG to get the catalog! They started sending it to our house years before we had one.  If you're not receiving the catalog, you can request one from the website here:
https://store.americangirl.com/shop/catreq.php

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
Thanks, Lyra.  I did request a catalogue on Dec 26 and still have not received it.  Maybe I am too impatient. ;D

Stash

Offline Pat with Cats

• Crafy Pat Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Reading these posts about AG dolls makes me want to sew doll clothes. Since I only have a 17 year old son, I've never done doll clothes and would wonder what was going on if DS suddenly started liking dolls!  I do have a generic 18-inch doll I bought a few years ago with the thought of sewing a few dresses for her. I dug her out of a box last night. It's not like I have don't have enough to do but doll clothes look like fun. I'll try to resist putting the doll clothes on the cats...but then again..... ;D

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
Don't think we've gotten a catalog since early December. They'd probably just include you in the next mail out, which I guess would be in a month or so. They seem to come once every other month or so around here.

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »
Bit late here but wanted to add that our guild used a MA doll in a doll wardrobe auction.  We used AG patterns and everything fit fine.  She was a bit thinner, but was the same through the shoulders where it counted.  We had everything from a Lynn Weeks Frannie, to Big 4 and some from the Joan Hinds books.    (Joan owns Fancyworks and Fashions   http://www.fancyworkandfashion.com/patterns_books.php?tab=patterns_books)  I've used their patterns almost exclusively and can vouch for fit.

jodi

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:09 AM »
My AG catalogue came yesterday while DGD was here.  She will be 4 in April and liked the Bitty dolls the best.  But, she DID like the sewing machine and craft set up for the newest 18" doll.  I suppose I will end up succumbing to this eventually, even though I will always like the MA dolls better.  Nothing cheap in that catalogue either. ;D

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »
Stash - I've made Bitty doll clothes and AG doll clothes...both are fun to make!  You can see some of the outfits here.

I just bought a new pattern from McCalls 5775

Because my niece has one and I really want to make her some new clothes for her doll since they have an AG club at her school that she attends once a week!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My Flickr Albums

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »
Carolyn,

Thank you for the pattern idea and the link.  I commented on your Flickr.

Oh, those clothes are so cute!!  Your niece is very lucky.

My Lunch Buddy, who is in the third grade, has never heard of AG?  This school is low income and I wonder if that is why?  But, the MA dolls are far less expensive and I was sort of hoping to give her one for her BD.  But, none of the little girls that I know of there have an interest in them that I can tell?  Any ideas you have would be appreciated?  My DGD is not quite 4 and she already knows about them?  She is not well off either.

Add:  I tried to get this Simplicity 4297 at Hancock's on sale the other day but it was gone.  I bought the fabric to make DGD and doll a Spring jacket.

Stash
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:49:40 AM by stashpanache »

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
Carolyn, Are views b or c smocked?  I can't tell from the line art...

Stash,  I can understand AG not being popular in an economically depressed area.  It's hard to justify spending that much money for a doll when you are struggling financially.  I have bought dolls at Tuesday Morning for around $30 that are the same size and good quality (I think they are called Precious day by Gotz) and quite honestly, for a very young child who hasn't been bitten by the "it has to be an AG doll" bug, I'd go that route.  The 18" doll clothes fit great and unless the child has been told it's "not the same", they will love it just the same. 

When my dd was 4, I gave her a Zapft doll with a wardrobe.  She was slightly larger than an AG doll.  She loved that doll to near death (she is still in REALLY good shape) even after I gave her my AG Felicity doll and then later, AG Kit.  She had a baby doll from Costco that wore the same size as the bitty baby and again, loved it to near death.  She never really got into the playing mommy thing, she just liked the idea of having the dolls dress like her and lugging them around.  It even instilled a desire to learn to sew, which she can do if she has to (she's 19 now).  She won a best of show for her age division at the county fair several years ago for a sundress she made for Kit.

So I say go for it for your lunch buddy and DGD.  It won't be a cheap imitation.  It will be a gift of love and that's what counts. 

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:58 AM »
Stash,  I love the Chanel-look jacket on the doll in that pattern illustration!

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »
Reading these posts about AG dolls makes me want to sew doll clothes.

I agree!   In fact, my Bernina dealer is having an AG doll clothes class in February and I signed up for it.   I may be a grandmother one day, and sewing on that small scale may serve as a good intro to baby clothes.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:59 AM »
Sewing on that small scale is for sure good practice!  I learned how to sew darts and pants and buttonholes and things on barbie scale when I was a kid, so then when I got older and made adult clothes I thought it was easy peasy- no measuring the 1/20" or whatever!   :o  ;)

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 02:19:42 AM »
It's also a great way to practice and become proficient at heirloom sewing techniques.  Swiss Batiste and French maline laces for an 18" doll are WAY cheaper than for a 4 yo, especially when you aren't sure what you are doing! :)

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
But, the MA dolls are far less expensive and I was sort of hoping to give her one for her BD.

Jodi, I buy Madame Alexander (MA) 18" dolls for now.  They are only $29.99 at ToysRUs.  That is what I was planning to get my Lunch Buddy.  But, think I will show her one before I do it.

I love that pink jacket too.  They were out of pink fabric so I bought the aqua.  It is pretty too.

Stash

Offline famorose

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »
cmarie12

I have a question. On the McCalls 5775 pattern there's a sort of silver raincoat in the bottom left corner on the front of the envelope. Since you have recently bought it, could you tell me if the collar on that coat is actually a tailored collar, ie., with a separate piece for the upper & lower collar & then the faced lapel? Just like an adult tailored coat collar?

I have been looking for a standard tailored collar pattern for AG since starting a doll wardrobe a few years back. #5775 is the first one I've ever seen with that collar. Thought I had better check with someone before ordering the pattern so your mention of it really caught my eye.

Have missed out on some of these more recent discussions. Just got back from a six week visit in the mid-west where I stumbled across a fabric outlet that almost blew my mind! Came back with about 20 half yardpieces of really nice fabrics that were on sale in a bargin room. Left overs from costumers, dancers, drama groups, reenactments, etc. All at about $3 to $4 per yard. What a bonanza! Can't wait to get back in the groove & make up some of these outfits.

Thanks for your input.
FranA.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »
You guys have a lot to answer for.  I had to abandon sewing on my SWAP to make some of Kirsten's Pretty Clothes (apron and apron-dress variations) from the link Lyra posted.  And I had to buy a doll (a Götz Julia doll, they don't sell American Girl dolls over here in England).  And endure the hilarity of my husband, until I pointed out he collects small plastic and metal miniatures. 

Pictures to follow when I get around to taking them.

My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
First - sorry I missed your questions but I'm logging into SG about once/twice a week now!  :-\

Jodiwell - nope the yoke is gathered to the dress front - not smocked.  I think they used interesting fabric to achieve that combination on the pattern front.  Or you could smock the yoke and then add it to the top or dress if you are so inclined.

FranA - the trench coat has one piece for the collar...that you cut out twice, sew together, add either a hood or just a facing piece to.  I bought the pattern for the trench coat and the tote bag but the stuffed dog pattern pieces are included in the pattern also.  It is a very versatile pattern and you could get an entire wardrobe of AG clothes for a doll out of it! 

I mean not like I don't have 4 or 5 more patterns for 18" dolls and the book by Joan Hinds that Lyra mentioned!

Carolyn
My Flickr Albums

Offline famorose

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
 Thanks for the coat collar pattern information. I can work with that.
FranA.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
My first doll clothes since I was six or something!  Using the Kirsten AG patterns, with modifications.  I'm calling the doll Christina.

Front - the apron is scrap linen from a skirt I've never finished and the cotton is a scrap from some Christmas projects last year.

Back - no fasteners added yet

Details, sorry about the blurring, turns out the camera in my mobile phone isn't amazing, who knew  :) - it was fun to use my new wing needle and the deco stitches on my machine!

- a row of hemstitching with wing needle and two rows of embroidery from the machine.

- also did some embroidery stitching around the sleeve hem, turned out to be right about where the elastic was supposed to be, a bit of futzing and it looks all right.

Elizabeth

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
oooh! those are very nice.  That's the Apron Dress from the Kirsten clothes PDF?

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Yes, the Apron Dress and Apron pattern.  Of course, I started with the apron.  Very practical for any doll to have just an apron, don't you think?

E.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
So Cute!

Offline Karendee

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
Eliz,

What an adorable outfit.

Karen

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics