Author Topic: Are you new? Please read this thread first...  (Read 18422 times)

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Are you new? Please read this thread first...
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:22:13 AM »
We're so glad you're here!  Things are pretty straightforward here, but you may want to start by reading DragonLady's ground rules in the Forum Decorum and Handbook (FAQ).  You'll also find posts there about "how to do" various things you might want to do...(for instance add a signature or an avatar, make "pretty links" and post pictures, among other things)! 

If you've finished a project and want help with something that isn't quite right, consider posting on the "Critiques Board."  This is the one place where you can ask for (and get) unvarnished opinions when you'd like them--but we want to make sure that you understand that before you post there, so be sure to take a look at the thread titled "Please Read This Before You Post on the Critiques Board" before you post.   

However if you've finished a project and would just like to share it with us, we'd be delighted to have you do so!  You'll find threads for finished projects in lots of places.  "Sharing, Inspiration & Project Photos" (a sticky thread at the top of the "Fashion, Style & Wardrobe" board) is for anything you're particularly proud of! But you may also want to post your projects in more specialized interest threads.  For instance, Quilting, Home Dec, Toys, Children's clothing all have places to post completed projects.

Then off you go to have fun!  And if you want someplace to try out some of the bells & whistles on this board, please come back to the Sandbox, and try out all of the buttons & smilies!  We're glad you're here, and hope you'll spend some time with us!

Let us know if we can help!  By the way, we keep an eye on the sandbox to see if anyone is asking for help there, so that's a good place to ask for help if you need it--or if you just have questions!   

Nice to have you here!

Lisa

etc: link to Sandbox to Sandbox IV (where you can post--original Sandbox, Sandbox II and Sandbox III are now locked.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:09:31 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
Re: Are you new? Please read this thread first...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:31:02 AM »
If you have questions, here's a list of our moderators.  You may send send any of them a private message by clicking on her name. :)

DragonLady (owner/admin)

Liana

Lisa

fzxdoc

and Ann Rowley

If you have questions about the site, this board, or sewing in general don't hesitate to ask (although if its about sewing in general, it would be better to post it in the appropriate forum) . :)

Edited 'cause somehow I lost fzxdoc off the list.  ???
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:48:59 AM by DragonLady »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:01:24 AM »
I'm glad you found me again, DragonLady!  ;D  I'm here and feisty as ever!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:11:29 AM »
I'm glad you found me again, DragonLady!  ;D  I'm here and feisty as ever!

Yeah; sorry about that.  I guess I must've pasted on link over another.

Offline MsBee

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
Hi I'm new here. Found you on the net when doing a search about sewing machines

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
MsBee, I welcomed you on the Bernina vs. Viking topic, but I want to welcome you again! Enjoy visiting the site.

Kathryn

Offline MsBee

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
Thank you Kathryn

Offline Nancyha

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »
Thanks Lisa! I'm starting to get it.

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Thanks Lisa! I'm starting to get it.

You're welcome!

Now can I lure you over to the Sandbox? :)  I'd love to see your images direct-linked (instead of uploaded)...we'd like them to stay around for a while. ;) ;D

Hope to see you there soon!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »
[cross-posted]

As an experiemental step toward slowing down the spam, "New (or just quiet) members" (those with less than eleven posts) will no longer be able to edit their own profile information.

This prevents them from coming in, making a new account, and filling up their profiles with spam, just to make worthless posts.

However, I realize that's inconvenient for real members, and I do appologize,  but if you haven't posted often, and need to change your profile, just send a pm or an email to me or one of the other admins, and we'll happily do it for you.

I will most likely change that to those 5 or fewer posts in the future; I did it this way because we already have new members flagged so they can be welcomed.  We'll see how this works out, and then decide if it needs changed after a week or so.

Offline martha.myers

• My Sewing Projects - A Scrap Book of Sorts
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
I have some basic questions. I *think* I just posted something to Sewing Workshop Patterns 3 but I cannot see it posted. Does that mean I did not really post anything? If not, how can I review what I just posted?

Also I tried embedding a picture. I think I failed at that too. I was able to upload a picture file, using the button at the bottom of the post, but then could not figure out how to embed it. As an alternative, I'm happy to embed a URL where the picture is located, rather than uploading it. Does this require inserting HTML code into my post?

Thanks.

Martha

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
Martha, there is no other post from you today except this one. Sometimes the computer eats a post before it gets up on the board. It's been known to happen. Try posting again.

To review what you have posted, click on the Profile button on the home page and click "Summary" from the drop down menu. You'll see your profile summary in the window that opens. Now, just below your name and photo, on the left side, click "Show Posts" and you will see all the posts you have written and that have been posted to the board.

To learn how to embed a photo or a link to a photo, read this and come on over to the Sandbox topic here to practice. One or the other of us admins/mod will be around to offer help.

HTH,

Kathryn
SG Admin/Mod Team

Offline Razel

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
I am new to the site and am glad that I read this thread. I was trying to figure out how to edit my profile. I see that I can't do that yet - which is ok with me. I will wait. I was only going to add a picture of me as my avatar.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:32:50 PM by Razel »
Randi

Offline chimey

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
Thank you all for the kind welcome messages. I hope to become a responsible, active member as I am impressed with the knowledge and skills of the other members at Artisan's Square!

Chimey
"Wanted: A needle swift enough to sew this poem into a blanket"
Charles Simic

Offline Nadene

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
I am one of the quiet ones, who use and love this sewing site.  I have always sewn, patterns changed so much (for taller people)  I started just sewing decorating items for my home.  Now, I am trying to sew for my self again.  I spent a year reading about adjusting patterns and there are alot of ways to adjust for a older petite person.  I am so encouraged by your site, its a comfort to know others too have failures.  It never occured to me that my silence would seem suspicious.  I did make a lifesize doll (to my measurements) to hang in a museum for a tea party fund raiser.  We hung her from the ceiling as she was a Mary Poppins type character.  Thank you all for your posts.  Someday I will post an item I just made too.

Nadene

Offline Bobolots

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »
I'm not too new, just quiet. finally "get it" (alterations) and now am making a serious effort to make well made clothes for myself.

Offline Mrs. Red Threads

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
Hi all,
I am new here and just signed up today. I did manage to post a reply on the pets forum. I have three sewing machines. I have two singer machines one is 26 yrs young and going strong. The other is a old domestic and out of service. My newest is the singer Embroidery furtura quartet. the 6000 I just got that in December. So far I have managed to make an easy jumper and I am making a blouse to match. I have made lots of things mostly house hold items like curtains and table cloths and holiday items, dog cloths, sew on store bought emblem patches for my hubby. I also knit and crochet. I am not the worlds best sewer or Knitter but I get by.
I am looking for information sewing using my new singer furtura and looking to see if others have gotten the same one I just purchased. I did get it on HSN. How that came about was I was just looking for something to view on my computer and came across HSN. Saw the machine and said wow. I got in on their deal in December before Christmas and have been looking for a sewing forum to join found this one after typing in the search box singer futura quartet forum. I did see one post that look very informative.
I am looking forward to seeing what you all are sewing and I am hoping to learn a bunch about sewing from all of you. I hope I can also be helpful on this site as well.
Happy sewing,
Your friend in sewing
Mrs. Red Threads

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
Welcome to SG, Mrs. Red Threads. It would be lovely if you could go to the Introductions forum and start a topic there with information about yourself. That way more of our members are likely to see it and get the chance to welcome you as well.  :)

Have fun looking through the site. I'm on my way to the pets forum to see what you had to say. Many of us are devoted pet lovers on this site!

Kathryn

Offline Mrs. Red Threads

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
Hello fzxdoc,
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and pointing me over to the introduction forum. I just finished posting over there. Got to love all our little furry children.  :)
Have a great day and happy sewing :)
Your friend in sewing,
Mrs. Red Threads

Offline JaneStitcher

• My blog: Cut the Scraps!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
Yes, I have a question about navigation. When I open an existing thread to read the messages, is there not some way to go to the first unread message in the thread? Most forums have "View unread" in the bar of the first message in the thread.

Also, is there a way to just read my own posts? This would be like "View Subscribed Threads" on other forums.

Thanks.

Jane

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
Hi Jane!

Let me see if I can help.

When I open an existing thread to read the messages, is there not some way to go to the first unread message in the thread? Most forums have "View unread" in the bar of the first message in the thread.

When you're logged in, you'll see an orange oval that says "new" next to threads that have content you haven't seen yet (before you open the thread).  If you click on that orange oval (instead of the thread name), you'll be taken to the first unread message in the thread.

Also, is there a way to just read my own posts? This would be like "View Subscribed Threads" on other forums.

Yes.  At the top of the page, right below where it says "Hello JaneStitcher," you'll see a link titled "Show new replies to your posts" right below "Show unread posts since last visit."

If you want to see a post you've made for which there isn't a new reply, you can click on your profile (you'll find a link to your profile near the top of the page, choose "Summary" from the drop down menu and on the left, you'll find a link that says "Show Posts."

Finally, you can choose to subscribe to threads you'd like to follow without posting in them.  You'll find details about how to do this here:  "Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Get notice (or cancel notice) of new replies"

HTH, :)

Lisa

Offline JaneStitcher

• My blog: Cut the Scraps!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »
Thanks a million, Lisa! I guess I am just used to forum software that works in similar ways, but this is just so completely different. You've really helped, though, so I'm off to explore!

Zalin

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
When you're logged in, you'll see an orange oval that says "new" next to threads that have content you haven't seen yet (before you open the thread).  If you click on that orange oval (instead of the thread name), you'll be taken to the first unread message in the thread.

I didn't know this!! This is incredibly helpful. Thank you.   :D

Offline laurelshimer

• Enchanted By Sewing Podcast
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
So when i posted my question about thick denim waistbands should i have posted it in the sandbox then?

Stll learnin

Laurel
I"m a California Sewist with an arty, romantic style - hostess of the Enchanted By Sewing podcast.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
No, Laurel, you don't post questions like that in the Sandbox. That topic is for trying out the mechanics of posting photos or making links, etc.

You posted about the problem with sewing waistbands in the Chatter forum, but I moved it to the Machine Sewing forum where more people with good suggestions about a problem like that will see it. I'll send you a PM (personal message) with a link so you can find it.

It takes a while to get used to the site, so don't worry about putting your first topic or two in the wrong place. One of us site administrators or moderator will make sure it gets sent to the right spot where it will have the best chance of getting read and answered by people with similar interests or know an answer to the query.

Enjoy visiting Stitcher's Guild. It's nice to have you here. :)

Kathryn

Offline laurelshimer

• Enchanted By Sewing Podcast
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
Thanks to everyone for including me in.

Laurel
I"m a California Sewist with an arty, romantic style - hostess of the Enchanted By Sewing podcast.

Offline martha.myers

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
Trying to post in the sand box but there is no *reply* button. What am I doing wrong?

BTW I'm trying to experiment with embedding a picture from Flickr. I use the *insert image* icon and a broken link occurs. When I post my pictures to my web site and use *insert image* from that site, I have no problem. What is different about Flickr?

Thanks so much!

Martha

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Martha, there should be a "Reply" button at the top and the bottom of whatever page of the Sandbox III that you have open. The earlier Sandbox topics I and II are locked.

When you embed a photo from Flickr, you do not use the "insert image" button (the little picture icon above the reply box.) You just copy the BB code from Flickr and come back here and paste it into your post. When you click "Preview" or "Post", the image will appear.

To clarify, follow these steps and you should be successful:

1. Above the Flickr photo you will see "Share". Click on that.
2. Select "Grab the HTML/BB code" from the drop down menu.
3. Click on the "BB Code" radio button
4. Copy the code that appears in the little window
5. Come back here and paste that code in your post.
6. When you've finished typing your post with the photo code, click "Post" and the photo will appear within your post.
7. You can also check your post by first clicking "Preview" to see if the photo shows up the way you want it to. Make any changes to your post, then click "Post" and the photo will appear within your post.

The photos from your website have .jpg at the end of their URL (photo's web address). With .jpg files, you have to use the insert image icon, but not with Flickr because it provides the BB code instead. Flickr tried to make it simple, I think, but until you get the hang of it, posting photos from there can be a bit confusing, especially if you're used to posting photos that have .jpg endings from other websites. Don't give up! :)

HTH,
Kathryn
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:31:54 AM by fzxdoc »

Offline martha.myers

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 12:56:51 AM »
Got it. Thanks so much, Kathryn!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 01:04:32 AM »
You're more than welcome, Martha. I so enjoy seeing your photos that I had to help, quick like a bunny, so that I didn't miss seeing any of your beautiful garments. :)

Kathryn

Offline Todi1972

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 04:51:36 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Alessandra

• Madeleines, don't get me started
    • Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »
Hello.  I am very, very, very new.  I'm so new I was utterly ignorant about these boards until about an hour ago, when I found them thanks to your "Fashion Fabrics Club Arrgh" thread (I never expected *that* Google search to turn up an exact match).

I trained as a fine artist, but have always been equally interested in sewing and garment design.  It's sometimes been kind of lonely, as I've had a difficult time finding people online, or helpful information about where to find materials and manage techniques.  Possibly my searches were flawed.  I am on some other online communities, but they are not sewing-centered.

Anyhow, I hope no one minds if I hang around and try to make sense of things.  I'm about to go read the Forum Decorum Handbook, but thanks to this thread I already know why there doesn't seem to be a way to edit my profile and I am feeling less headachy about it.
Good clothes open all doors.
--Thomas Fuller

My blog: Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite

Offline Machinetech

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »
I, too, am glad I read this topic - I was wondering why I had so few options for my profile.

This is an interesting forum for me, as I am interested in the machinery used for sewing and embroidery.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Welcome to SG, Alessandra and Machinetech. You both will be able to alter your profiles soon. Sorry for the inconvenience, but as you read in DragonLady's post above, it's necessary to have members with 11 posts or more be allowed to then modify their profiles. Enjoy looking through SG and come back often. :)

Kathryn
SG Admin/Mod Team

Offline Knitsewmuch

• MsKnitSew
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
I'm new here and so glad I found you.  I have ordered my first Silhouette Pattern in hopes of achieving a TNT pant pattern.  I did a search and found several posts about the patterns that were very helpful.  I am looking forward to learning and sharing with my new virtual sewing friends :)

Currently trying to learn my way around.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics