Author Topic: Sandbox  (Read 170151 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Sandbox
« Reply #630 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
hmmm, so how do you make a nice table?

It's a little fiddly, but you can do it.  For example:
here is the first    here is the second    here is the third
thisthatsomething else
onceupona time

The codes you need are the 6th, 7th & 8th buttons in the second row above the editing window.  But to get your table to output correctly, you need to have the codes properly nested.  Because the code needs to be so precise, I recommend frequent use of the "Preview" button so that you can see (as you go) if you have errors, since it's easier to correct when there's less to review! ;) ;D

The 6th button is the "insert table button" which will give you the codes that begin and end the entire table.  They'll look like this:
Code: [Select]
[table][/table]
If you have your cursor clicked inside the editing box before you press the "insert table" button, your cursor will be between the tags.  Once you've established the entire table, you'll need to establish each row separately.  You create the opening & closing tags for each row with the 7th button, which is the "insert row" button.  That code (inside the insert table code) looks like this:
[table][tr][/tr][/table]  
Inside each of the rows you establish, you also need to establish the columns...and it's inside the column tags that you put the content for your table.  So inside the row codes, you use the 8th button (the "insert column" button.  That code (inside the insert row code, which is inside the insert table code) looks like this:
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
You'll insert a set of the insert column codes around each columns text for each row.  So your first row, using this code:
[table][tr][td]Garment[/td][td]fabric[/td][td]pattern[/td][/tr][/table]would look like this:

Garmentfabricpattern

This doesn't look any different than it would if you had just typed it.  The variation will appear as you add other rows that require more space for their columns.  So let's add the 2nd row to your table like this:

[table][tr][td]Garment[/td][td]fabric[/td][td]pattern[/td][/tr][tr][td]Pants[/td][td]Eta-Proof taupe (stash)[/td][td]Schnittvision (ready to use)[/td][/tr][/table]which will look like this:

Garmentfabricpattern
PantsEta-Proof taupe (stash)Schnittvision (ready to use)

You'll notice that the software doesn't need a visual end to the row in the code--the "close row" code tells it to start another row.  However you will be able to read the code more easily if you add a return after each row.  If I do that, that same code will look like this (simply to allow you to read it more easily--and trouble-shoot if the table doesn't turn out the way you want it on one of your "previews"):
[table][tr][td]Garment[/td][td]fabric[/td][td]pattern[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pants[/td][td]Eta-Proof taupe (stash)[/td][td]Schnittvision (ready to use)[/td][/tr][/table]

If I go ahead and format your entire table, it will look like this:

garment fabric pattern
TopMerino jersey black (order)Farbenmix (ready to use)
Toptaupe?
Topcolour?
Layering topBoiled wool black (stash)Cardigan raglan (find)
Outer JacketSoft-shell black (ordered)Jalie (ordered)

You'll notice that the columns in each row are alligned on the left, using the longest content as the measure.  To format visual space between your columns, complete your column and ID the entry in each column which is the closest to the following column, then add 4 spaces after that text entry (before the "close column tag after that text). So for your table, in the first column that's "Outer Jacket" and in the second, it's "Merino jersey black (order)."  That will look like this:
[table][tr][td]garment [/td] [td]fabric [/td][td]pattern[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pants[/td][td]Eta-Proof taupe (stash)[/td][td]Schnittvision (ready to use)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]Merino jersey black (order)    [/td][td]Farbenmix (ready to use)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]taupe?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]colour?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Layering top[/td][td]Boiled wool black (stash)    [/td][td]Cardigan raglan (find)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Outer Jacket    [/td][td]Soft-shell black (ordered)[/td][td]Jalie (ordered)[/td][/tr][/table]
which will produce this:
garmentfabricpattern
TopMerino jersey black (order)    Farbenmix (ready to use)
Toptaupe?
Topcolour?
Outer Jacket    Soft-shell black (ordered)Jalie (ordered)
If you want to make the column headings distinctive, you can do that by adding text formatting tags, like bold (I did that in my first example), italic, underscore, or color around the text inside the column tags.  So if I wanted to make your headings underscored, I'd have to add three sets of tags, one around the text for each of your columns.  That would look like this:
[table][tr][td][u]garment [/u] [/td] [td][u]fabric [/u] [/td][td][u]pattern[/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pants[/td][td]Eta-Proof taupe (stash)[/td][td]Schnittvision (ready to use)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]Merino jersey black (order)    [/td][td]Farbenmix (ready to use)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]taupe?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Top[/td][td]colour?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Layering top[/td][td]Boiled wool black (stash)    [/td][td]Cardigan raglan (find)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Outer Jacket    [/td][td]Soft-shell black (ordered)[/td][td]Jalie (ordered)[/td][/tr][/table]
which will produce this:
garmentfabricpattern
TopMerino jersey black (order)    Farbenmix (ready to use)
Toptaupe?
Topcolour?
Outer Jacket    Soft-shell black (ordered)Jalie (ordered)

Let me know if you have questions...HTH, :)

Lisa

etc: identifcation of the 8th button as the "insert column" button & correct typos :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:21:01 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
Thank you very much, Lisa!

Sounds pretty straightforward...  ;)

Well for this time I just need to copy your code.

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #632 on: August 30, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #633 on: August 30, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #634 on: August 30, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »
Yay, Jen, it worked! Good for you.  You look great.

Kathryn

Offline Femme1

« Reply #635 on: September 07, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
OK, I'm going to try out my post for the autumn swap here, since I've never posted any photos before. Hope this works:

Here are my fabric choices.

Offline Femme1

« Reply #636 on: September 07, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Well, didn't work, did it?  I put the flickr URL in between the img and /img html code.  What should I be using to get the image to come up?
I've read through help, but couldn't find it.  Wait...aha!  I see there's some help just a few posts before this one. I'll try it.
Thanks, Deb

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:10:29 PM by Femme1 »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #637 on: September 07, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
Glad it worked for you Deb! :)
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
I am using Flickr more often.
(I used to use Photobucket, but I am moving away from that)

When I try to post a picture from flickr, this is what I get:

edited to add:  I see the detailed post from Lisa with examples.  I'll look it over.
I bet that will answer my questions.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:45:55 PM by Robin »

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #640 on: September 12, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
playing in the sandbox

[url]http://www.burdafashion.com/content/viewer.jsp?imagePath=/images/repos/1/000/001/789/000001789711

underlined

does this text move?[move]

[move]This is a great website for sewers and crafters
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #641 on: September 15, 2009, 12:51:39 AM »
Let's see?[img][http://www.flickr.com/photos/37119752@N03/3920789037//img]

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #642 on: September 15, 2009, 06:59:28 AM »
Hi Sewshopper!

Unfortunately, Flickr says you have this image designated as "private."   :(  So the first thing to do is to make the image public. :)

Then I noticed that the code you used is from the page the picture is on (instead of being the code for the image, which on Flickr will always end in ".jpg").  "Here's a link" to a reply to another Flickr user who was also using the page address.  Once you've designated your photo as "public," you'll be exactly in the position that was addressed in that reply.  You'll also want to take a look at the reply that immediately follows that one for additional information for Flickr user's who want to post photos here. ;) ;D

Take a look and give it another try, please. :pinkpom:

I'm looking forward to seeing your image.

Lisa

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #643 on: September 15, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »

Thanks Lisa, trying again

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #644 on: September 15, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
ok, we're going to do this till we get it right!!
[/img]

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #645 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
Sewshopper, you are using the web address of the browser window instead of the particular web address of the photo itself. To get to that photo's web address, do this:

If you have a PC, open your Flickr page.
1.  Select your photo. Make sure you are selecting the view that is not a thumbnail.
2.  Right click on that photo
3.  Select "Properties"
4.  In the middle of the Properties box is the web address for that photo. Copy the whole address (you may have to scroll)
5.  Come back here and paste that address in your post.
6.  Highlight that address and click on the picture icon above the message window that you are writing in.
When you post, the photo will appear.

For example, for the picture you are trying to post, its web address is

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3920789037_443515523a.jpg
and when you follow the steps above, this image should result:

BTW, if you have a Mac, you just need to click on the photo in Flickr and drag it into your message here, highlight it and click on the picture icon above the message window to get it into the right format so that it shows up when you save your post.

Give it a try!

Kathryn

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #646 on: September 15, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:18:57 PM by Sewshopper »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: September 15, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
sewshopper, read my post just above your last one.

Kathryn

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: September 15, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
Keep trying, sewshopper... :) 

Kathryn

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: September 15, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
This is what you posted last:

[img]http://[img][http://www.flickr.com/photos/37119752@N03/3920789037/?edited=1/img][/img]
This is what you need to post:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3920789037_443515523a.jpg[/img]

Go back to my post just above yours and follow the steps outlined in blue.

You'll get it!  :)

Kathryn

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #650 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »
Thanks Lisa, trying again
Hi Sewshopper, You're welcome!  I see that you got the image designated as "public" now! :)

As Kathryn noted, you can direct link your image like this:

You'll find general instructions for how to do this "here"--we're using method #2 (Kathryn's instructions are another way to get to that result).  You need to get the image's url between the img tags. :img:

But Flickr makes it even easier to do that.  To find the image's url on Flickr, go to the page for the image you want to show, then click on the "All Sizes" link at the top of the image.  That will take you to a page that allows you to select sizes from the "Available Sizes."  I can't use your image for an example (since Flickr isn't set up to allow others to easily share your images), but using one of mine, here are some examples of the sizes you can show.

Pick the size you'd like to show, then look underneath the image for the photo's url (the second item/window below the image) copy it, and bring it back here).  Click the "insert image" button above your editing window here (second button in the second row...looks like a little framed picture).  That will give you this:
[img][/img]
Your cursor will be between the two tags.  Leave it there and paste the url you picked up from Flickr.  That's all there is to it!

Let us know if you have questions!

Lisa
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:36:03 PM by Lisa »

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #651 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #652 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »
Well, the dreaded x is there, but if you click on the url, the picture comes up.  Somehow, my sanity is borderline!!!
Shall try one more time and the give it a break.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3920789037_443515523a.jpg

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #653 on: September 15, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
Well, the dreaded x is there, but if you click on the url, the picture comes up.  Somehow, my sanity is borderline!!!
Shall try one more time and the give it a break.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3920789037_443515523a.jpg

You're nearly there!  You've got the right code...you just need to put the "img" tags around it.  :img:

Highlight that code, then click the "insert image" button (2nd button in the 2nd row above the editing box).  That will put the tags you need around the code.  It will look like this:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3920789037_443515523a.jpg[/img]which will yield:

One more time!  :pinkpom:

Lisa

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #654 on: September 16, 2009, 12:08:12 AM »
I think that I was doing it in reverse

Thanks for all the help!
Karleene

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
Yay Karleene!

Kathryn

Offline Deirdre

« Reply #656 on: September 27, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
testing to see if this works

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #657 on: September 27, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »
Hi Deirdre!

I took a look and I think there are two separate things you need to do...

1st, Flickr tells me that "This photo is private," so you need to make the image public.  As you look at the image, you'll see under "Additional Information" (to the right of the image) you'll see a small square (either yellow or red) followed by something like the words "only you can see this photo" or "only friend/family can see this photo."  Click on the edit link next to that and you'll see a question, "Who can see this photo?"  Change the answer to "Anyone (Public)," then click the blue "save button"  below that.

2nd, I think you've used the URL for the page the photo is on, instead of the URL for the image (you'll know you have the url for the image if the URL ends in ".jpg").  

You'll find general instructions for how to direct link the image, once you've designated it as public "here"--you'll want to use method #2 in those directions.  You need to get the image's url between the img tags. :img:

But Flickr makes it even easier to do that.  To find the image's url on Flickr, go to the page for the image you want to show, then click on the "All Sizes" link at the top of the image.  That will take you to a page that allows you to select sizes from the "Available Sizes."  I can't use your image for an example (since Flickr isn't set up to allow others to easily share your images), but using one of mine, here are some examples of the sizes you can show.

Pick the size you'd like to show, then look underneath the image for the photo's url (the second item/window below the image) copy it, and bring it back here).  Click the "insert image" button above your editing window here (second button in the second row...looks like a little framed picture).  That will give you this:
[img][/img]
Your cursor will be between the two tags.  Leave it there and paste the url you picked up from Flickr.  That's all there is to it!

Give it a try, and let us know if you have questions!

Lisa
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:35:14 PM by Lisa »

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #658 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:22 PM »
Just stopping by to say I'm still "in" -- love the 6-PAC acronym!

I have cut out 5 of the 6 garments, and have finished 2.  I am making:

boucle pencil skirt (NE pencil, TNT)
Cranberry herringbone slacks (NE 1961)
Gray wool blend doubleknit cardigan, trimmed with boucle (NE 1960)
Gray wool blend doubleknit long sleeved top (NE 1960)
Grayed plum/eggplant matte jersey dress, 1970's vintage pattern
blue/plum shirt
blue/plum shirt [url=http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8598.htm?search=8598&page=1

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »
Mary, it looks as though you're trying to make a "pretty link".  To do this

1.  Highlight  the words "blue plum shirt" as you write your post
2.  Click on the world icon above the smiley face icons
3.   After the first "[url " but before the "]" that comes right after it, place an = sign and then paste in the web address of the browser window that has the web page that you're trying to link to.

It should look like this in your post writing window:

[url=http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8598.htm?search=8598&page=1]blue plum shirt[/url]
and like this when it is posted:

blue plum shirt

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #660 on: October 06, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
Thanks Kathryn -- I fiddled around for about 5 minutes before my patience gave out and DH got dinner on the table! :D

Offline PhoenixNest

• Phoenix Nest
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
    • Phoenix Nest Leather & Renaissance Boutique (under construction)
« Reply #661 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Not only am I new 'round here, but I've never tried posting to a forum before, so I'll be surprised if I can get this to work... :o

Examples of my work:

Professional leathersmith & avid amateur seamstress

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #662 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
You did it, PhoenixNest! You're certainly a quick study.  :)

And welcome to SG, too. Here's some info for you in case you want to know more about the site.

1.   Visit the “Are You New?” topic by clicking here:  Are you new? 

2.   Learn about the forum rules by clicking here: Forum decorum...FAQs

3.   Play in the Sandbox by clicking here : Sandbox .  There you can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight in the Sandbox topic without affecting any of the other active topics.  It’s truly a “no worries” place to play and learn.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of us four site administrators or the site moderator.  One or the other of us is almost always around.  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright red or bright blue.  You can always send us a private message at any time if you need help.

Come back and visit often.

Kathryn

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #663 on: October 11, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »

Ah that's how you get a larger picture.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline Queenie

« Reply #664 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »