Author Topic: Sandbox  (Read 162825 times)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: Sandbox
« Reply #420 on: April 30, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:04:33 PM by marciae »
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
Okay marciae,  I think I see your problem.  Two of them actually, but the main problem is that you're not doing what Lisa said, and clicking on the photo you want to copy and using the Properties of it.  You're using the URL for the entire page you're looking at.  You must put your cursor right on the photo you want, and right click and get the properties of the photo itself.  If it doesn't end in .jpg it's probably not correct. 

Here's what you have.  (Your ending image tag [/img] is half gone too, so it wouldn't work even if it was the correct URL.) As you can see it is not a .jpg and when you have it in your post without the image tags, the board reads it as a link to a web page, which it is.  It will take us to the pattern you're referencing, on the Vogue site, but it won't post the photo.

Take a look at the code you had (first line below) which got you the dreaded red x in the box.  Then the code I used (second code line below) and the results I got (photo).  You can see the difference in what we posted.  HTH!  :)

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V1054.htm?search=1054&page=1[/im

Here's what I used.

Code: [Select]
[img]http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V1054.jpg[/img]

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
BREAK OUT THE CHAMPAGNE!!! ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
Great !    8)

When you bring up the Properties window with the URL, highlight the URL with your cursor.  Then Ctrl C to copy, and Ctrl V between the image tags in the reply box.  That should do it.  (Hope, hope, hope!)  :)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
I got it from the web site - but I copied your post as they kept looking the same to me -  I wasn't copying right - so hopefully - I can continue!  Somehow "something" was left in the memory so when I pasted I got the wrong url.  But - in a couple of those red x's I "swear" my url looked like yours - but obviously it wasn't!!  Thanks to you and Lisa for all the help.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #426 on: April 30, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »
If you click on your red X's , you can get the properties of it, which shows what you were trying to use to post.  The last red x is the right URL for the photo, but your image tags were all screwed up.  You have to make sure the [ img ] is all in the front, and the [ /img ] is all in the back (without the extra spaces of course) and you had [ in front and img ][/img in the back.  So, you had most of the front tag in the back, and the last bracket was completely missing.  Just make sure your cursor is between the ][ , in the center, and it should be fine.  Lots of little fiddly stuff, but when you get on to it, it's really very simple, and usually not a problem at all.   :)  Then again, some of us just lead more interesting lives than others!  ;D

I forgot to say that the next to the last red x has the URL of this very page from Stitcher's Guild!   :D

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #427 on: April 30, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »

Moved to Photobucket!  Thanks

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:43:58 PM by Claudine »

Offline mkyred

« Reply #429 on: May 05, 2008, 05:59:37 AM »
I'm really just testing a new signature to see how it looks.

Thanks so Much!
Wendy in North East Texas who blogs from time to time at
http://sewidohowaboutyou.blogspot.com/

Offline kiltsnquilts

« Reply #430 on: May 05, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »
If you click on your red X's , you can get the properties of it, which shows what you were trying to use to post.  The last red x is the right URL for the photo, but your image tags were all screwed up.  You have to make sure the [ img ] is all in the front, and the [ /img ] is all in the back (without the extra spaces of course) and you had [ in front and img ][/img in the back.  So, you had most of the front tag in the back, and the last bracket was completely missing.  Just make sure your cursor is between the ][ , in the center, and it should be fine.  Lots of little fiddly stuff, but when you get on to it, it's really very simple, and usually not a problem at all.   :)  Then again, some of us just lead more interesting lives than others!  ;D

I forgot to say that the next to the last red x has the URL of this very page from Stitcher's Guild!   :D

Trying to do the purple quote 'thing'!!  Not having much luck Lol!
Your waist is just your waist, YOU are more than the sum of your measurements.

Offline kiltsnquilts

« Reply #431 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Well it worked - kind of!   I wanted to know how to just quote part of a post, will keep trying!

Then again, some of us just lead more interesting lives than others! 

Your waist is just your waist, YOU are more than the sum of your measurements.

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »
I thought a tutorial for inserting pictures in a post might help those who like me, are visual.

Before we begin, a word of caution.... Never hot-link a picture which is not yours without permission unless it's a BIG company such as Vogue and for which the more you link, the more advertisement, the more sales. Netiquette wants you though to mention the source of the photo by adding a link to their site in your post. For smaller companies and cottage businesses, hot-linking can be a real problem so it's preferable not to hot-link directly from their site.

For many, this tutorial will sound very, very basic at times. But I thought the new members who are not at ease with forum posting may find the basic tips handy.

This image of meringue mice is from an old cooking blog I used to maintain when I was a SAHM. We will make believe this is your picture in your photo-host album.

My browser is in French, sorry... I'll try to transalte the best I can.

And I use Firefox but it works pretty much the same on other browers I suppose-hope.

1- Right clic on your picture. On the pop-up menu which appears under your mouse pointer, clic on "Copy Image Link" or may be "Copy Image URL"

2- Now create your post on SG. Write your introduction. Place you mouse cursor where you want your image to appear in your post. Clic on the framed picture icon.

3- You just created the brakets for your image. Now insert your mouse pointer where you see the red straight, vertical line, in between the brakets.

4-Right-clic and hit "paste" on the pop-up menu which will appear at the tip of your mouse pointer. Here's what it will look like. Notice you can't see the image yet. You only see its Internet address (I underlined it in red on the image below)

4-At this point, you can hit "Post" and your image will be in your post for everyone to see. But I tend to use the "preview" button because it's the only way I know to check if the image will really be for everyone

4- You'll see both the preview and the actual post which you can edit.

Using the preview feature allows me to edit typos or text or add emoticons.

There are other ways to do that, but IMHO this one is easy and straightforward.

Note that certain photo-hosts do not allow hot-linking. I use xs-to and I can hot-link. I don't know which ones don't allow that.

HTH,

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:34:42 AM by Zoubida »
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2008, 01:38:48 PM »
Hmm.  I just selected a .pdf file and it didn't attach either.  I must be doing something wrong.  The file name I chose is listed next to the 'choose file' button.

Why do I always fixate on unnecessary details?   ???

And why didn't anyone tell me how much fun the sandbox could be!   ;)

OK.  When I tried to post, I got a message that my file size is too big so perhaps it would have shown up if it were smaller.

So I'm trying a smaller file.  OK, OK, my vet appointment be shortly and I will have to quit playing.

Now it tells me that I have already submitted this post.   ???  If I did, where did it go?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:11:37 PM by vtmartha »

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #434 on: May 28, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
I deleted it all and began again!  It worked!

eta I will delete the attachment (if possible) in a bit so as not to clog up the system.

Glad it worked, Martha!  :) (and that you're having fun in the Sandbox--I always do ;))

If you don't remember to delete the attachment, don't worry...it will be deleted after 30 days anyway...

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

zora

« Reply #435 on: May 31, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
test
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:10:29 PM by zora »

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »
[img]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:12:38 PM by Linda 75142 »
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline Sew Sew Sandi

« Reply #437 on: June 22, 2008, 01:51:03 AM »
Good news about Westside Sewing!  I heard at our local ASG meeting today that WS's website had a request for volunteers to help clean up...and promising to reopen!  Here is one post from the website:
[url+ADDRESS]flood 1[/url]
 =http://westsidesewing.com/wss/product_info.php?products_id=791flood 1  and a second one that I think was posted later: http://westsidesewing.com/wss/product_info.php?products_id=792

Sounds hopeful, doesn't it?
Sew Sew Sandi

Offline Sew Sew Sandi

« Reply #438 on: June 22, 2008, 01:56:36 AM »
Good news about Westside Sewing!  I heard at our local ASG meeting today that WS's website had a request for volunteers to help clean up...and promising to reopen!  Here is one post from the website: flood 1 and a second one that I think was posted later: flood 2

Sounds hopeful, doesn't it?
Sew Sew Sandi

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2008, 02:50:36 AM »
Let see if this works so I can post my JCC pieces. This is my shadow and his teddy bear  :)

Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline Carla

« Reply #440 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
I apologize if this is already covered somewhere (in this huge thread?  eep!) but how do you make an avatar on this board?  I am a member of several forums and I think all the others show a link for avatars somewhere in your profile info, but if it is there I am overlooking it.  I have used the search function in several different ways but apparently am too dense today to come up with the correct formula. 
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands...    Proverbs 31:13

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Carla, the avatar function is in your Profile.  Click on the "Profile" button at the top of the page.  When your Profile page opens, select "Forum Profile" from the left side of the page under "Modify Profile".  When that window opens, you'll see the options for adding a personalized picture.

There is more information on how to post your avatar here in our FAQ section.  Here's the link.

If you have any other questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Kathryn

Offline Carla

« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »
I did that.  Already.  It shows in my profile but not on these pages.   I'll go take another look.
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands...    Proverbs 31:13

Offline Carla

« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
Ah, I had to click "Change Profile" twice to make it work.  Thanks, Kathryn.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Oh the power of that little mouse click!  Glad it worked for you, Carla.  It's nice to see your avatar now.

Kathryn

Offline blue mooney

• If it feels good, wear it!
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »

Offline miranda

« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2008, 03:34:14 AM »
experiment...
Miranda

edited to delete pic
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:59:38 PM by miranda »

Offline Melodye

« Reply #447 on: July 11, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
Just playing

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: July 11, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
Lookin' good, Melodye! (Nice avatar.)  :)

Kathryn

Offline Melodye

« Reply #449 on: July 11, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »
Kathryn,
     Thanks!  I hope to get some pictures of some actual sewing posted soon.

htp://www.melodyesneedlenotes.blogspot.com

Offline Melodye

« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

Offline Melodye

« Reply #451 on: July 11, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
And again
      blog

Offline Melodye

« Reply #452 on: July 11, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
   blog

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »
Woo Hoo! Your pretty link works great, Melodye!  Thanks for linking us to your 'blog.  I had great fun reading it.  That sweater turned out really nice!

Kathryn

Offline Melodye

« Reply #454 on: July 11, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
Kathryn,
     Thanks!  Now for more work in the sandbox! 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22420777@N02/2659771392/in/set-72157606113815751/

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics