Author Topic: Sandbox  (Read 173115 times)

Offline yorkshire lass

Re: Sandbox
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2006, 09:58:24 AM »
Adding a  random quote just here. 
An easy way to get back to where you were is to click on the "Show new replies to your posts" option.  Here's how you do it.

and another try with the images.
The picture is 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:02:21 AM by yorkshire lass »

Offline SewSomething

« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »
Well, what do you know.  It works.  That's my album,  but if anyone looks, please know, I take terrible photos.  Now I must go to the handbook and find out how to put that link at the end of my posts.  A task for another time, gotta run now.

Obie

http://community.webshots.com/user/OW10560

Offline SewSomething

« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2006, 09:40:40 PM »
Well, what do you know.  It works.  That's my album,  but if anyone looks, please know, I take terrible photos.  Now I must go to the handbook and find out how to put that link at the end of my posts.  A task for another time, gotta run now.

Obie

Obie

Well, I copied and pasted this one, however is there an automatic feature to do this?

Obie

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
Not a problem, Obie!  It's nice to see a new photo album. 

Your signature will get added to your profile.  You'll find instructions for how to do that here: "Formum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Signature for Your Posts." Please let me know if you have questions!

Again, nice to  see you and your photos here! :)

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline SewSomething

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:28 PM »
Thank you Lisa.  By Golly, I think I've got it.

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:51 PM »
I have a question re Explorer 7 and the new security setttings that I hope someone can help me with.  When trying to add this site to my "Trusted Sites" I get a message that all "Trusted Sites" must apparently start with "https" rather than "http".  So in consequence this site is slow to load....can I do anything about that?  (I have internet cable connections and am spoiled by fast loads.)

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »
Carole,  When you try to add it to Trusted Sites, there's a checked box under the add box that says something like "require server verification (https) for all sites in this zone" and if you uncheck that, it will accept things that don't have https prefixes. :)

Offline MarSews

« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2006, 03:11:49 AM »
this is me testing setting up a link and naming it

new website

cool-seems to work.  P.S. I used the search utility to find messages about hyperlink and found these instructions there (I think they were from DragonLady). 
Marian

"The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings."
  ---  The Buddha

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2006, 05:28:28 AM »
Looks like you've got it all figured out!  :) :applause2:

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
Okie Dokie, I wanna try to make a link that uses words and looks prettier.

book

that only took 3 tries and lots of squinting.
lemme try that again:

magic wand waves and book appears
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:15:33 PM by Robin »

Offline Carole

• Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2007, 12:58:03 AM »
Playing again:  Burda WOF jacket

Offline Carole

• Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2007, 01:05:39 AM »
Hopefully better: Burda WOF pantsuit

Offline fromthewest

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2007, 01:56:04 AM »
just playing, let's see if I can get my link to work now [url]

tina
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:58:21 AM by fromthewest »

Offline Marji

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »
I've tried nice ways to Sunday to get a link to show on my signature line for the auction and I CAN't  I give up.
I've tried the forum brackets [ ] i've tried the a href= code
i've tried the li code which in blogging code is the link code, however it turns out here it is the list code
i've tried the < > brackets.
nothing works.

Kathryn, I don't know what's better, the shoes or the fabric  8)

Marji

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
I've tried nice ways to Sunday to get a link to show on my signature line for the auction and I CAN't  I give up.
I've tried the forum brackets [ ] i've tried the a href= code
i've tried the li code which in blogging code is the link code, however it turns out here it is the list code
i've tried the < > brackets.
nothing works.

Hi Marji!

Don't give up. :)  BBCode is used, but when all else fails (or if you prefer to do it the easy way—and why not?—compose your signature (limited to 300 characters) in a reply box, check the preview to see if your code works, copy from the reply window and go to your profile & paste as your signature (and don't forget to get rid of the reply window by going "back" or simply click on the Home button above, since you don't really want to post your signature as a post in one of the threads—although it would be ok, here in the Sandbox!  Here's a post with a slightly different description of how to do that, titled "A Signature for your Posts" in the Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ) if you need more information. 8)

Let me know if you need more!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline joan71

« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:05 PM »
testing clickable <a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view

I am trying to post a link to my Picture Trail album.  what am I doing wrong.  This is the URL that Picture Trail tells me to use.
As you can tell I am not very computer savvy....ugh
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:41:09 PM by joan71 »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
testing clickable <a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view

Hi Joan!

You've got a little bit more in your code than you need! ;) I've copied your code below so that we can talk about it:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://<a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view]<a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view[/url]
The text:   http://<a href=" which is after
[url= can be deleted, altogether as it isn't necessary.  The text after the first "]"  and before the
[/url] at the end is what will appear as the clickable words in your post.  So if you replaced that with "look at this" (or whatever words you like), your code would looks like this:

[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view]look at this[/url] which would yield this:

look at this, which gets me to request for a user name on "picture trail" but not to a particular gallery!

Let me know if I can help further!

Lisa

Offline joan71

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2007, 02:47:55 AM »
Yes!  Tell me why it didn't download?  What did I do wrong?   :)  It may be too big, but I don't know how to reduce it.  I will work on it.

Hi Lynda!

If it's too big, here are some suggestions about how to make it smaller...from Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ), but before you do that, consider putting it on a photo-hosting site, instead.  Then you won't need to make it smaller and you won't need to upload it here either!  Details about the various ways to post an image (there are three methods discussed in the post) are in this post from Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ).

I have some examples about how the various ways of putting up images show.  You can see examples of the three methods here for comparison purposes!

Lisa
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:50:09 AM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2007, 02:30:14 AM »
how do the tables work?

and the insert list?

don't know why I would ever need them and what is the flash?

Thanks,
Susan

Hi Susan!  Looks like things were going pretty well.  :)  You'll find an example of tables in the first post in this thread--although I think that may be the only time I've seen it used on this board...so I'd guess you have most of us agreeing that you are unlikely to need them. ;D

Flash is a way to embed annimation in a post, but that facility has not been enabled on this board!  So you're not missing a thing! 8)

Please let us know if you have more questions or if we can help!

Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2007, 03:58:07 PM »
what is a sticky topic?  i can no longer remain merely curious.  thanks
jm

Normally, the newest threads (or topics) are at the top of the list. But the moderators or admins can change the characteristic of threads that they believe should stay visible so that they are "sticky."  That is, they'll always be above any thread that isn't "sticky."  If there is more than one thread on a board that has been made "sticky", then the sticky thread with the newest post will be at the top of the sticky threads.   

When you look at the list of threads, there is an icon on the far left.  On "non-sticky" threads, the border of that icon is the same size all the way around.  On the sticky ones, the bottom border is much thicker!  There are a number of "sticky" threads under  (Site News & Announcements (including the Sandbox!), but you'll find them on other boards as well!

HTH,

Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »
OK.  I am trying 2 things. Insert a  photo in here and also try linking pretty again. BTW, I have Word 2003 but when I try to save thread, when using "save as" my options are to save as a txt file (Notepad) or I can save as a Web archive mht. file.  I do not save html file but have that option too.  Do not know how to get it to save in Word?

this

Photo is in Sew Projects album

Hi Stash!

You've done nicely on both the link and the uploaded picture! :)

To save in Word (which is what I do), click the "Print" button @ the top or bottom of the page.  That will pull the entire thread into a text format (all of the pictures will simply appear as links, and the embedded ("pretty") links will show the url next to them.  Sounds like you were getting that far...but intsead of choosing "Save as", try "Edit with Microsoft Word", which will put the text into Word format.  Then simply "save" or "save as" as you like!  HTH. ;)

The next thing you can try BTW, is direct linking to a photo, so that you can put more than one photo into your posts...  You'll need a photohosting account that allows direct linking (unfortuantely, Yahoo photos doesn't allow it).  So a secondary account, perhaps?  One possibility is www.photobucket.com and another is www.flickr.com.  Both offer free accounts (which will allow direct linking) as well as paid accounts which have more features, etc.  If you know you're going to want a paid account, there are two other sites I would reccomend in preference to either of these...but they don't have free accounts at all (other than a trial account, which may or may not have hotlinking)!

Very nice work here!

Lisa

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »
Stash, perhaps you are using an older version of Internet Explorer or another browser, and that's why those options are greyed out.  I don't know about that. 

You can try this workaround:  If, after you click "Print", you can save the file onto your desktop as a Text (.txt) file.  Then you can right click on that file's icon on your desktop and select "Open With" and then select Microsoft Word.  That should open that text file in Word so you can then save it as a Word file (by selecting "Save " and then scrolling up to "Word Document" instead of "Plain Text" which comes up in the little box) to whatever folder you then select.  Give that a try.  Since this creates a separate Word file for the page, you'll want to delete the original .txt document that you will still have on your desktop.

HTH,

Kathryn
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:18:37 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »
Thanks, Kathryn.  I had saved a txt. file so I right clicked, used "open with" and saved in Word. It worked!  I am using SP1 because I have a few older programs and did not want to update to SP2.  I tried updating and it broke alot of cherished "oldies but goodies".  So, I went back to SP1.  I have so much security on my computer that, so far, (knock on wood) it isn't an issue.  My expertise was in spreadsheets, not word processors so I am not that great with Word.  It is alot more powerful than my capabilities in word processors.  :laugh:

Liana mention some photo sites that will accept direct links but you have to pay.  I am thinking I might like to try a good one fairly soon.

Stash
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
Hi Stash!

Lisa's the one who was telling you about the photo sites and Word.  (I call her the Word Queen, because she works with it all day, and knows all the tricks.)  ;)  There are a couple photo sites that allow direct linking with their free accounts I believe.

Here's a post about photo sites from Lisa.

Here's another which notes that PhotoBucket is a free site that allows direct linking.

HTH! :)

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2007, 03:10:00 AM »
Thank you, Liana.  I signed up for Flicker dot com.  The only thing there is my avatar so far but supposedly you can direct link there.

I came back to the Sandbox to see if cleaning out my cookies improves my speed on the new server.  It has slowed down since we moved so I am trying different things.

Stash
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Melodye

« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2007, 01:29:20 PM »
dress

trying again

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »
dress

trying again

Hi Melodye!

Were you trying for a "pretty link"?  If so, it's perfect! :D  Did you want to try inserting the picture too? 

Lisa

Offline Melodye

« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2007, 02:13:08 PM »
Lisa,
   Thanks, it's all due to your excellent instructions!  I hadn't planned on inserting the picture this time, but I may try it later.  Thanks!

sandy c

« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
hopefully this will work.swap page
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:04:11 PM by sandy c »

Offline greysome

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
Well, my devil didn't show up and I cannot get back to my post to rectify it.  Now what?

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2007, 02:11:02 PM »
Well, my devil didn't show up and I cannot get back to my post to rectify it.  Now what?

Hi greysome!

Not to worry.  You can edit your own old messages  :) Just click the button labeled "modify" that you'll find in the upper right corner of your old messages.  That will take you back to an editing window that will look just like a reply window! 

The only problem with your devil is that there is not a space after the "devil" coding--you need at least a single space before the ":" starting a smilie code and after the ":" ending it.   ;) :D

Your code currently looks like this:
:devil:made me do it.
and it should look like this:
:devil: made me do it.Let us know if you have any problems...when you've fixed it, I'll go ahead and move both your second message and mine to the Sandbox, which is a good place to figure this sort of thing out and practice them!

Lisa

Offline greysome

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »
Lisa, I fixed my  " :devil: " problem.  Now when I wanted to delete the second post of mine, I did not know how to delete it. 

I'm sure this is simple, unfortunately it's over my head. 

Now I hit "Preview" and no preview. 

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »
Lisa, I fixed my  " :devil: " problem.  Now when I wanted to delete the second post of mine, I did not know how to delete it. 

I'm sure this is simple, unfortunately it's over my head. 

Now I hit "Preview" and no preview. 

Hi greysome!

No, you haven't missed a thing!  Only admins & mods are permitted to delete posts on this board. (You can edit to you heart's content, but not delete.)  As discussed, I've moved your second post and mine to the Sandbox...if you look a little earlier in this thread you'll find them!

For future reference, this entry from Forum Decorum & Handbook (FAQ)--Editing Posts & Editing Notes gives more detail on edits than I gave you before!

Glad to see your "little devil!" :D 8)

Lisa

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:12 AM »
Hi Mods! I thought I should finally start learning how to do stuff here.

Am I correct that the Sandbox is a little like Vegas- What happens in  Sandbox stays in Sandbox?

Can I try out putting up an Avatar here?

You're right!  ;D

You'll have to go into your Profile to post an avatar, but you shouldn't have any problem.  You can link to it, like a hotlinked photo, or you can upload it (there's a size restriction).

There's a post that tells How to Post an Avatar on the FAQ thread, which has lots of good info that you might want to take a look at.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics