Author Topic: Sewing for dolls!  (Read 11577 times)

Offline lyra

• west 38th
Re: Sewing for dolls!
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
I realized that I need to post a small update-  my mom bought me two doll pattern books from amazon recently.  Haven't sewn anything from either yet, but that's just because of lack of time so far. They look wonderful!

Simple & Stylish Patterns for 18-Inch Dolls' Clothing

Sew Today's Fashions For 18-inch Dolls

Offline LauraM

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »
Lyra, I, too purchased one of the same book as yours, but have not made anything from them, yet.  Both books came with a packet of patterns attached on the back page.

I also find that the big 4 have lots of patterns for 18" dolls that fit AG dolls, and when they are on sale for .99 it's a great buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873497724

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873493753

Hoping to get started on some clothes in the next couple of weeks.
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 02:15:33 AM »
Lyra - I have the Sew Today's Fashions...I love that book!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline famorose

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
I noticed that the AG shoes were mentioned in this thread & wanted to ask if anyone has made them & are there any tricks to making them look like RTW?

I tried several pairs but so far nothing really came out well. I bought a few small pieces of Foamies, extra thick, to use for the soles but trying to cut a clean edge around the sole was next to impossible. McCall's  3469 has 5 designs & there's a web site that shows how to rescale the size. Not all the dolls feet are the same shape.

I might have to break down & buy a few pairs. I'm making 3 fancy Colonial dresses, each in a different color satin & having a ball with left over laces & trims from my stash. But, don't think I can handle the shoes!
Any suggestions?
FranA.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
Stash, I think we missed your post earlier!

Ana has an american girl sized doll from Target, which wasn't too expensive.  She really only plays with it when Kate has friends over to play with dolls and she wants to join in, so the inexpensive one works well for her now. 

I was putting away scraps last night and realized that I had enough of the fabric I'd made the kids jumpers from to make up a doll jumper for her doll.  Here is Molly modeling it:

Offline LauraM

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »
Lyra, that outifit is too cute!!  Keep making those doll clothes.........

I spent 4 days last week with my 9 year old DGD teachng her basic sewing.  I had bought her her own sewing machine and we made several AG doll outfits as well as a couple of outfits for her.  I did all the cutting of the patterns.  She also has another 18" baby doll named Annabelle whom she absolutely loves to death, so many of the outfits fit both dolls.

Unfortunately, my camera wasn't working and so didn't get any pictures before she left.  I will get some hopefully in a few weeks.  She loves sewing and has since called me a couple of times with questions as she's been sewing a little at home.

Before she left, she pulled fabric and patterns and put several in their own ziplock bags so that I can make up some birthday (Oct) and Christmas presents for her.   ;D   I found some vintage doll patterns more suitable for Annabelle (the baby doll) that I'll make up for her, too.

I hope to get started on them after August 1.
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
Oh, that sounds like so much fun.   ;D  I'm glad she had such a good time learning!
Have you seen the simplicity vintage doll patterns that were reissued? I've had a lot of success with them, and the styles are beautiful.

Offline justgail

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
I've enjoyed reading about all the doll sewing/knitting.  AG came out long after I was out of the doll age, and since I don't have a daughter, I'll just have to see what happens in the grandchild departement, hopefully a LONG time from now (DS is 14).

I just wanted share some things my Mom made for my sister and me, many years ago.
http://justgail.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/does-mending-count-2/
Gail
U.S. - eastern Iowa
Justgail

Offline Madrona

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 04:21:06 AM »
I did not make these, but wanted to show off my sister-in-law's collection of clothes she made for Kathryn's Corolle doll (a 14" doll), Jenna:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahills/sets/72157623125454006/detail/

It is hard to find doll patterns for clothes other than AG-type dolls.  She started from a cabbage patch pattern, and I measured Jenna every which way and emailed the measurements to her.  She got pretty close!  I don't want to post pics of all of them, but I'll post my favorite -- a pair of dark denim pants, and a sweater she made by cutting apart an old sweater and sewing it back together in doll-size.  She appliqued the cardinal from a bit of christmas fabric.  She is so crafty!

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 04:38:45 AM »
Madrona, is that the same little girl that was outside in the picture earlier this year?  Or is that her big sister?

eta:  Oh, I guess I should have said that I went to the Flickr album ;D
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Madrona

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Yep she's the only one we've got.   ;D  She looks so much older in that pic than in the others, doesn't she.  My little girl is growing up.  *sniff*  ;)

Offline David2010

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
i just got some Barbie Doll Patterns, That seem to be from the 70's!! They are so much fun to sew, NOT. My daughter wants some new dresses. I attempted to put on a sleeve, OMG thank goodness I have a pivot feature on my SM. These sleeves are tiny. Any tips for making them look professional and not homemade?

edited by Kathryn, SG Admin, to remove advertising link.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:51:35 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Roxie5166

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
Here's great site that will give you FREE American Girl Patterns.  Down load to your computer and print.  http://agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

Enjoy

Offline Roxie5166

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
I have both books too and they are great.  Love the patterns.

Offline Roxie5166

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »
Check out http://agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html for FREE American Girl Patterns

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Just to keep this thread updated, Liberty Jane Couture are offering a lot of new patterns on their website;  also check out Med Welch on Etsy, All-Time Fashions on eBay and Sense & Sensibility for a range of historical patterns.

Now then, here's my latest dolly creation, a peacoat from Heritage patterns, modelled by Sonali, an American Girl doll (friend of Chrissa, doll of the year 2009).

Click the photo for interior and construction shots on Flickr.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
Very cute, Elizabeth!

And what a pretty face on that doll

Offline melissamade

what are the best Patterns For dolls?
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
As far as books or the Big 4, which are the best patterns for Dolls, Pref 18 inch dolls?

I been looking at books and a few big 4, anyone try any?

thanks..

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
Re: what are the best Patterns For dolls?
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »
Lots.  Look at Liberty Jane Patterns for modern stuff.  They also have links to the Pleasant Company patterns (now free) for Felicity, Josefina, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha and Molly, and a few other historical patterns.  Bunny Bear patterns are reputedly very good (I think she sells on Etsy).  I don't really like the Big 4 patterns because I don't think they are either stylish or historical enough, but you may think differently.   I like the Pleasant Co patterns but their construction instructions basically stink, so be prepared to improve the construction as you go along. HTH!

Offline melissamade

Re: what are the best Patterns For dolls?
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
thanks, I will google these and see what i can find :)

Offline Liz Schneider

Sewing for doll similar to AG
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
Hi, all,
I just ordered a Journey Girl doll for my dd.  From what I've read it's 18 inches, looks similar dimensions to American Girl. I'd LOVE any of you to write if you have a doll like this, how does the fit compare with other 18" dolls, etc.  My little girl still loves baby dolls at 6, but soon will enjoy her first "bigger girl" doll with hair she can style.  I grew up with Mme Alexander - prettier faces than AG I think and the upper chest is modeled, so necklines won't show the change to cloth. However, I liked the Journey girls' non-closing eyes and got the new Kelsey model, because blue eyes and dark red hair.  I guess I'm still such a girl!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
I just merged three topics about sewing for dolls into one.

I did not merge the topics that are specific to a certain doll, like the American Girl doll, though.

Liz, I have sent you a PM with a link so you can find your way to this topic.

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• creating with love -amantes
    • my work shops
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
oh what the cutes , i love dolls with handmade dress , just sadly not for who create it . in my teenager i love suit for Barbe clothes , but not have anymore now , but still dream once again do it :)
especially when impress me Barbe calendar ...
alive you can be just when given something to world.
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
More doll sewing, this is a combination of a Regency dress pattern from Sense & Sensibility (they makes human-sized patterns too) and a modified bonnet from Vogue 7624:

It is modelled by Jane, a "Just Like You" or "My American Girl" doll. 

Here's the back:

Bonnet detail:

More photos/embroidery detail
here.

And I was inspired by this dress at the London Museum of Childhood:

This dress was part of a sewing exchange that I did on a doll forum.  I got a very pretty 1860s dress in return.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
Very sweet, Elizabeth!  Such fun to see someone actually using the decorative stitches.  Love the bonnet...is that ball fringe on it?

And can we see the 1860's dress you got in return? ;) ;D

Thanks!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
How cute! I love her freckles too

Offline alyssarealubit

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »
I had a sewing class back when I was in high school. The first thing I ever sew was a dress from my grandma. But it was ugly. It didn't look great, but then, on the second try, I sew a Piglet stuffed toy. I got the pattern from my teacher and I was so happy that it looked great! My cousins found it cute so they begged me for days just to have the stuffed toy :D

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:47 AM by AnnRowley »

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 10:00:38 AM »
OK, I don't sew doll clothes, but if you do and if you like vintage styles, check this out on ebay.  It looks so cute (I have no affiliation):
Item #350479105012

Offline fotoguy

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2012, 12:43:47 AM »
My girlfriend wanted to learn to sew and I didn't know how myself, so I learned by sewing doll clothes so that I could show her. In the month that I've been practicing, I think I've come a long way. Here are a few of the outfits for 18" dolls I've made. 3 are from patterns, the ancient Egyptian is my own design.

Offline Linda Dean

• www.prosewenterprises.com
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2012, 03:49:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your doll clothes.  I have six dolls to dress to be given to the "Salvation Army Toy Store".  Parents get to come in and pick out gifts for their children.  I will post my pictures when I get my dresses made.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
Thankyou for this topic.  I don't have a AG doll, but what I do have is a cloth bodied vinyl head doll that was my sister's favourite from her childhood.  I have been trying to find basic patterns for her that I can adjust to her long thin shape.  First I need to get her "refurbished" as she is old enough to have the fabric perish along some of her seam lines.  I recently had her rewigged at a local store, but they don't have the skills to redo the body.  My niece and daughter are too old for dolls, so I plan to dress this doll, and give it to my sister as a memory gift.  We both have so little from our childhoods, that it will be nice to give her something precious back. 
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
Long story short (too boring) I ended up buying an "Our Generation" doll from Target, which was on sale, to sew these American Girl doll patterns http://agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

In my research, I ended up doing a measurement comparison of all the various 18-inch dolls, so that the clothing would actually fit.  I'm attaching a link to it here.  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54361686/Doll%20Comparison.pdf

It'll save you hours of alteration :D

Construction tip for sewing doll clothingSew everything flat until the very end.  When constructing the blouses sew the cuff to the sleeve FLAT.  Sew the sleeve to the armscye FLAT, then sew the underarm and sleeve in one continuous side seam.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:55:57 PM by Ambimom »

Offline Linda Dean

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the links.  The dolls for the Salvation Army aren't American Girl dolls.
They come from Michaels and don't cost much.
I've already heard that they are smaller than the AG dolls.
I'll post pictures when I have them finished.

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2012, 06:28:30 AM »
Outfits for DGD3's doll (Gotz Hannah)
I used McCall's 6480. I made some slight changes to the pattern.
The brooch, chains and necklace are made from a refashioned Claire's necklace.

Doll1 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Doll2 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

doll3 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Doll4 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
Lynne

Offline Linda Dean

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
Your doll outfits are so cute.
I think I have that pattern.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics