Author Topic: FBA on a Dress with a Yoke  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Sew Cool

FBA on a Dress with a Yoke
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:19 AM »
Hi Ladies.  I'm making a dress OOP Vogue 9684.  It has a front yoke with the seam running right above the bust and I need to do a FBA.  Do I attach the front yoke pattern piece to the front body of the dress before I do my FBA, do the FBA, then un-attach it and cut out the fabric.  Or is there an easier way.  I have Fit for Real People and The Perfect Fit by Singer and they don't mention what to do...here a link to the pattern......http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/2292139657_e5b0631a52_m.jpg  Thanks in advance....Ree 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:46:44 AM by Sew Cool »

Offline Cathie.Tombs

Re: FBA on a Dress with a Yoke
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Although this was posted some time ago, I am sure you ladies are still interested, especially considering the popularity of this style. Linda Flint has a super blog, as does Debbie Cook, with unusual FBA's described. Somewhere else here, this topic was discussed: "FBA on Gathered Knit Top", also in Patterns and Instructions. I am contemplating the same alteration, using vintage tops from 70's to very early 80's, aiming for this cool to wear summery top/dress (I mean comfortably cool). Any other ideas?

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
Sew Cool
Yes, that is the way I did it when I recently tried to do this.  I ended up not making the top due to time restrictions.  I hope to revisit this summer.

I would need to see a bigger photo of the dress.  Are there any other darts besides the yoke?  Have you tried putting the yoke pattern together to see if there is already a dart buried in the yoke seam?  If there is no hidden dart, then you can attach the yoke, make the fba and then take it apart.  If there is a hidden dart, then you would do the same thing, but then you could transfer the resulting side dart into that hidden yoke, if it is not too big.

Is the bust point marked on the pattern?  What is the stated ease on the pattern front for the size you are using?

Sorry for so many questions.  But this is what I look at before I make my decision on a fba.

Cathie - thank you for the nice compliment on my blog.
Linda
New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
I know I sound like a broken record, but Fit for Real People tackles FBA with a yoke so if you can grab a copy of that it pretty much covers all of the bases on making FBAs. Also, Debbie Cook's blog is outstanding.

Offline neefer

• Acorns to Oaktrees
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »
I would sew the pattern pieces together and then add a side bust dart following the direction in FFRP. 

After I had the side bust dart in, I would decide if I wanted to transfer it to the seam between the yoke and bodice or rotate it out or turn it into a french dart or fish-eye darts or shoulder darts or whatever.
Neefer

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics