Author Topic: SWAP 2008 Storyboards  (Read 42391 times)

Offline blue mooney

SWAP 2008 Storyboards
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:18:19 PM »
Here's a thread to post your storyboards on so we have them all in one place for easy viewing.

And since I started the topic, I'll go first!

other Photos will be posted as I progress. You can see them (when I add them) here.

Offline Johanna Lu

• Göteborg, Sweden
Re: SWAP 2008 Storyboards
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
What a great idea to collect all the storyboards in one place. Here is mine

Edited yet again on February 18: Due to the sheer impossibleness of scoring dark grey medium wale corduroy I will make my pants in black corduroy instead. Also I have decided to make the shirt dress in grey and not light blue.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:38:50 AM by Johanna Lu »

Offline NancyQW

• Encue Creations
    • Encue Creations
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »
All right.  I did change my mind on a couple of things.  Here's my new storyboard:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:34:21 AM by NancyQW »

Offline mudcat

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »
Here's mine but it looks so bland next to the rest of you. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hilda

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »
I don't know how you girls got your storyboards on one page - sorry mine take more than one.  My excuse is I'm a newbee to SWAP.

Offline hilda

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:39:15 AM »
part 2

Offline hilda

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:40:03 AM »
part 3.  Is it okay to make changes/ substitutions along the way?

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:55:28 AM »
Here's mine, another one in the NL 6735 club  ;D

I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:51:16 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:28:29 PM by Robin »

Offline Morzel

• Hamburg, Germany
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:16:21 AM »
This is my revised storyboard. For those self drafted patterns I took linedrawings of similar style. I haven´t really decided on the style of the dress yet (and therefore the fabric), but there will be one. Also self drafted.

Eva

Offline LailaB

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
Here is my storyboard

Laila

Offline LindaE

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »

I will update when I get all the fabrics in there currently I have only 3 fabrics two denim and a stretch brown velveteen.

It looks like New Look 6735 is very popluar with these SWAPs
Linda E.
"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
Anna Freud

"Inspiration will always sing; inspiration will never explain" Kahlil Gibran

Offline Fox Valley Patti

• Fox Valley Patti
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:27:36 AM »
Heh heh heh - let's see if this works ....

Fox Valley Patti

Online ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »
Here are mine, subject of course to change!

---> 16.02 edited to include croquis.  Also I'm changing the jacket pattern because that particular jacket looked very bad when I sketched it on the croquis.  I have another one in mind but have yet to add it to the croquis.

---> current modifications include the jacket (5) to be made in navy wool melton; the yoga stuff (6 & 7) to be made from the navy fabric (more suitable for exercise wear); and a current lack of fabric for the wardrobe trousers (1) as the oatmeal knit turned out to be badly off-grain and also the shirt I made from it (1) doesn't fit and needs to be re-made -- so not enough fabric for the trousers.  Probably I'll try to make them in a brown knit.

EDIT 16.02 - Here's a croquis version:

I probably will not make outfit number 3 as the SWAP will still be legal without it, and eagle eyed viewers will note that the top from number 3 is not simplicity 4095 (as the drawing says) but rather Burda WOF 2/08 number 119.  Also there are only 5 tops because I have a ready-to-wear top in my closet that goes perfectly already.

Wardrobe pattern is simplicity 4095

Works in progress can be seen on my Flickr site:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/70432257@N00/sets/72157603616199014/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:34:47 PM by ejvc »
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline xtiand

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »
Here's my SWAP storyboard
I've completely changed from the berry/grey SWAP as I've sewn too many of the garments up already so it's on to Spring. there's no jacket on the storyboard because I can't find the pattern tonight. It's a Burda WOF but I can't remember which issue it's in and the magazine itself and pattern tracing are put away somewhere safe ie I can't find them! I'm calling this one Seaside Safari as there are both nautical and safari elements in it. I made up the Butterick wardrobe years ago when Out of Africa was popular in cream, brown and terracotta colours but the brown and terracotta were not very flattering to me. They looked good on the hangers though! The pattern line drawings are clearer on my Blog http://himmelbjerget147.blogspot.com/ click on the photo for a larger picture.
Christian
PS I still can't find my jacket pattern but I found a similar Vogue pattern, which will look fine with straightened sleeves It is Vogue 8331. I like the bell sleeves shown in the original pattern but know I'd catch them on everything! I have some cream wool boucle fabric for the jacket.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:05:05 PM by xtiand »

Offline wendyNM

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 06:24:15 PM »
Here is my storyboard.

Wendy in NM
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:56:02 PM by wendyNM »

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
Here's my hand drawn croquis of a Ruthie shaped person wearing the clothes I have planned.
Apologies for my poor drawing skills, but it gives you a good idea of how the items might look on me.

here are my fabrics

and this is the wardrobe pattern I am using for the jacket, pants and shell tops.

The links are not clickable here, but if you go to
http://ruthieksews3.blogspot.com/2008/01/croquis-of-swap-2008-plus-fabric.html
you can click to see them larger

Thanks Ruth

Offline girl_in_bleue

• Running, writing, sewing, mommy-ing
    • Where in the World Am I?
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
I snapped some pics of my storyboard this morning. I like to pin swatches to my bulletin board rather than storyboard digitally.

One with patterns and one without:

I'm missing two fabrics from the board, both from Julie. An eyelet shirting for one of the shells and an olive Hawaiian print for one of the skirts, both from the wardrobe pattern.

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 03:37:53 PM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:20:29 PM by Hen »

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 11:45:35 PM »
Here's my storyboard, just when I thought this was too hard I learn to use Powerpoint and Paint - SWAP is good for my IT skills too!

I have one too many tops in here, the Burda twist top and the Burda empire line tunic are tentative only at the moment, one (or maybe both or maybe another top entirely!) will go.

I haven't done fabric swatch piccies yet, that is my next job! Of course I still have to obtain a fair bit of fabric before I can photograph it....

Heather.

Offline NancyK

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »

Here is my preliminary storyboard. 
It is tentatively called Leather and a Little Glitz.  Basically it is black, gray, white and silver.  The Philip Lim Jacket is a going to be made with a combination of patterns so I didn't include a pattern picture.  I have black lambskin for this.  The tunic is going to be  white linen from Timmel and the pants, I am not sure about yet.  Maybe some gray cotton lycra I have.  The top from the wardrobe is already made, a black matte jersey.
I have already changed this plan, as the linen from Timmel is a bottom weight, so the wardrobe pants will be white and I will eliminate the tunic.  It doesn't go with the skirt anyway.  I'll post another version in the next couple of days.  I was so excited to figure out how to do this that I posted it a bit prematurely! 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:13:18 AM by NancyK »

Offline NancyK

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 12:17:20 AM »
I snapped some pics of my storyboard this morning. I like to pin swatches to my bulletin board rather than storyboard digitally.

One with patterns and one without:

I'm missing two fabrics from the board, both from Julie. An eyelet shirting for one of the shells and an olive Hawaiian print for one of the skirts, both from the wardrobe pattern.

I have to put mine up in the studio too.  I love to play around and move things in and out, but  I love the look of the digital storyboards to post.

Offline NancyK

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »

Here is my revised storyboard.  The only thing that may change is if I find a wonderful blouse fabric in LA where we are heading for a wedding in Feb.
I wanted some opinions on the purple, does it work, and can I use the tie me down blouse for the second blouse even though it is a knit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:32:15 PM by NancyK »

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
I've updated my storyboard with the fabrics I have selected so far!

Still struggling with fabric choices - I have stripped it back to those that really go together, I was getting too confused. I am sticking (for now) with the turquoise/sage green/teal/dark seagreen palette. Dark blue is in there because the dark blue linen blend looks like dark denim which (I think) goes with pretty much everything.

Heather.

Offline Elle

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
Deleted because not my storyboard, which is below. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:52:49 PM by Elle »

Offline kpalermo

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »
Hi,

I'm doing the SWAP for the first time this year.  With luck, a picture of my fabric pile and my wardrobe pattern will upload.  I'm waiting for some grey knit from Timmel's. 

Looking at the story boards has been very inspiring.  I wasn't sure what one was until now.  Maybe I'll put my own together.

Kim

Offline Marji

• Fiberartsafloat
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »
deleted post in an effort to keep this thread to storyboards, so it's easy to scroll through and see everyone's storyboards who've put them up,

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:28:27 PM by Marji »

Offline NancyK

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »
I have revised my story board.  Hopefully this is it!
Black, Glitz and a little bit of color.
This is a wardrobe that adds to and goes with many of the things already in my closet and it fits my lifestyle perfectly.  I do not need suits or corporate type clothing.  I need chic, elegant casual  clothing.  I want to look good and put together,  but able to wear a pair of sport shoes and go run out and measure a job site or talk to a client.  It has the ability to go out to dinner too. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:44:11 PM by NancyK »

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »
And AGAIN I change - I have biffed out Simplicity 4273 because I need to change to easier knits dressing, so here is the updated storyboard (maybe I should sew instead of messing around with my storyboard  ;)

I also got another lovely knit print from Global Fabrics on the weekend but haven't taken a photo of it yet. The cord eyelet will (of course) be lined.
NancyK I am sewing the Jalie 2449 crossover top like you and I would love to make the HP Sunshine top but am put off by the expense of ordering it from New Zealand. The Simplicity 4076 top is quite similar but I don't think it is as stylish as the Sunshine top, which seems to have a deeper more shaped band and more gathering.
Heather.

Offline Marji

• Fiberartsafloat
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »
subject to change, of course
In fact, after last time, I sort of look at this as an exercise in futility.
nevertheless, I present version x of a storyboard that is undoubtedly subject to change

Offline Elle

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »
I have learned so much reading the SWAP threads, and others, here at SG that this is influencing my storyboard.  That and my new appreciation for RPL (and I didn't even know what that acronym stood for before coming "here").

So instead of trying to be less boring in my tops, I am probably going to make them all in ivory.  This will let them work with the versions of the bottoms that I will make in the future in lovely taupe and brown RPLs that are now on order at Timmel Fabrics.  Talk about a wardrobe!  I'll have skirts and pants in black, brown and taupe RPL, they'll all go with 4 ivory tops, which will coordinate with jackets, scarves, etc.  But I mustn't get ahead of myself.

Current plan, Stages I:

and II:

Added bonus:  Can use ivory thread in sewing machine and serger for most of my SWAP pieces!  Back to sewing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:49:24 PM by Elle »

Offline hungryzombiecouture

• Hungry Zombie Couture
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »
I have finally settled on a SWAP plan and have just started sewing.  My SWAP this year is inspired by Jacqueline Kennedy - I absolutely adore her sense of style.

*  My jacket is an outerwear coat, which can be worn over all the other pieces in the SWAP.
*  My 4 bottoms are all skirts.
*  My tops are not all traditional T-shirts or blouses. I have chosen instead to use unstructured jackets for 3 of my tops. Each of these jackets will button all the way up the front and will be worn solo, without anything (other than undergarments) underneath. The jackets will function exactly as a regular top would. Each jacket/top will mix and match with all the bottoms.
*  My last 2 tops are being substituted with dresses.
*  My wardrobe pattern is Vogue 5521 (vintage), which contains a jacket, a slim pencil skirt, a full gathered skirt and a blouse. I have chosen to use the jacket (as a top), the slim skirt and the full skirt.

My storyboard includes a fabric swatch (accompanied by fabric type and vendor), the pattern and the JK inspiration garment(s).

It is so inspirational to come to this thread and seeing all the amazing garments that will be coming to life over the next little while!

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »
Okie Dokie, I updated my SWAP story board by going back to my original post and modifying it.  (I just deleted the previous image and uploaded my current one).
I think we agreed to keep this thread just for story boards (correct me if I am wrong!!) so I am going to ask one of the admins to delete or move all the posts with comments (including this post).
It makes for such nice browsing to keep this thread only for storyboard pictures!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 07:34:50 PM »
All non-storyboard posts have been moved to the regular SWAP III thread.  If you think I've moved one that should be here, let me know, and I can move it back.  :)   Even though they're on the SWAP thread, their titles reflect that they came from this thread.  That should help a little.

Since the board sorts posts by time of posting, the posts from this board are interspersed throughout the SWAP III thread, but I thought it would be even more confusing to give them their own thread.  I don't think you all want 3 SWAP threads going at once!  :o :)

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
From Here to Maternity

The first image shows the seperates patterns I will be using - I realise you can't read the copy so here is the summary.
Tops
Burda 8094 - 1 x top b
Burda 8096 - 2 x top c
Burda 7800 - 1 x top a
Remaining tops from vintage ensemble pattern - 2 x shell tops
Though I might make up one of the dresses from Burda 7800 or Burda 8094

Bottoms
Burda 8376 - 1 of each length of trouser
Pencil skirt from vintage ensemble pattern

Jacket from vintage ensemble pattern

Seperates patterns

Fabrics for seperates.
Still to decide on the jacket and skirt fabric for the vintage pattern - probably a neutral linen similar to the trousers.
Vintage top - one in printed twill, one in white cut out fabric
Shorts - one in plain twill co-ordinating with the printed vintage top

Longer trousers - in a neutral twill/gaberdine or linen - I'm not sure the striped one goes with the floral pattern for the vintage top though.  I might substitute for a white linen/twill

Other tops - one in white seersucker, one in striped seersucker, one in striped poplin, one to be decided - maybe another floral print.

updated storyboard

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics