Author Topic: Books about Sewing  (Read 8603 times)

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
Re: Books about Sewing
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
One more. Sarah Veblen has a beginner's guide to fitting coming out soon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Garment-Fitting-Step-Step/dp/1589239628/ref=pd_sbs_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1589239628&pd_rd_r=903NZQK2BYG2NFKSDW5B&pd_rd_w=9hACT&pd_rd_wg=v8Q17&psc=1&refRID=903NZQK2BYG2NFKSDW5B

I'd love to look at this one. I have her book on smart fitting and I'd have benefited from a red arrow pointing at the wrinkles!  :D It's not very intuitive to me where I need to look at.

I'm hoping Sarah does a craftsy course on fitting.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »

I'm hoping Sarah does a craftsy course on fitting.

Me too. She's great. I signed up for one of her Patternreview classes.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 12:29:00 AM »
Another book that is due out soon is by Kenneth D. King, Smart Fitting Solutions:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Kings-Smart-Fitting-Solutions/dp/163186856X/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=163186856X&pd_rd_r=CFS62GN56700PEPQVHJJ&pd_rd_w=SYPJo&pd_rd_wg=DyZ2b&psc=1&refRID=CFS62GN56700PEPQVHJJ

This looks like its the book version of his 'Smart Fitting' DVD.

Indeed it does. Also, if interested in seeing a particular teacher on Craftsy that's not there, one can make suggestions via the online chat system there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:33:00 AM by sewsy »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 08:23:28 AM »
this is a cross post that is similar to info I posted on an individual thread about piecing and gussets.

I was looking for more information about the Sew the French Way book...and found a blog post that has scanned in some pages from the French Way book (about gussets). What is really useful, is the blog also has scans from other older sewing books (which you might find at the library) and you can compare how they present the information on the same topic.

https://heycotton.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/gussets-galore/#more-415

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 11:27:20 PM »
Barbara Emodi, a contributor to Threads magazine, has a book coming out in May '18. Here is the Amazon link to the book:
https://www.amazon.com/SEW-Garment-Making-Book-Knowledge-Real-Life/dp/1617456047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518788224&sr=8-1&keywords=barbara+emodi

And here is a link to her blogpost about the book:
https://sewingontheedge.blogspot.com/

Barbara is from Halifax Nova Scotia and has a blog called Sewing on the Edge. She has a real sense of humour and I do hope it comes out a bit in her book. Her posts on Flypaper Thoughts has me laughing so hard I almost cry.
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »
This is an interesting thread.  Thank you all for your contributions.  I've pre-ordered the Kenneth D. King book as I really like his approach to fitting and pattern making problems.

A number of books which include patterns have been mentioned.  Several of them I own.  I have sewn 1 garment from Bold & Beautiful and a skirt from one of the Japanese books.  Generally, I find that the size range [especially the Japanese books] does not go large enough.  The sizing, I assume, is consistent within each book/series but not necessarily with anything else, so a muslin is definitely required.  The beauty of some of the "wardrobe" books is that the garments are fairly simple and already coordinated but the downside of this is that they have fewer opportunities for fit, e.g., seams and darts.  If you have an "easy to fit" body, they may work well for you.  You may also need a more encyclopedic sewing reference as a companion as the sewing instructions may need further explanation.

I find the Japanese books inspirational but not necessarily wearable.

I enjoy vintage sewing books when I can find them not because of the styles so much but because the pattern making and fitting information is useful.  The silhouettes are more fitted, stretch fabric did not exist, and garments were expected to last.  Natalie Bray's books are still available.

Katherine's suggestion of the Marfy catalogs is an interesting one.  I find them inspirational.  I have attempted several Marfy patterns but have yet to fit one successfully.  They are absolutely not beginner projects!

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »
Also, if interested in seeing a particular teacher on Craftsy that's not there, one can make suggestions via the online chat system there.

Already done, for both Sarah Veblen and Cynthia Guffey!  :)  I bet the more ppl ask, the more Craftsy would consider. But it also depends on the author’s individual choice to work with Craftsy or not.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
On Palmer and Pletsch's fB page, there is a post about a new book coming out this spring. It's The Palmer and Pletsch Complete Guide to Fitting. I haven't been able to find any cover artwork, however here is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/palmerpletsch/?hc_ref=ARTrBCdpcFG3EonWXhFtDpHrTtj4V_OHiRllwWfS_lmqM_PUl-BF36E6L1e9oqgR7Aw&fref=nf

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
Also, if interested in seeing a particular teacher on Craftsy that's not there, one can make suggestions via the online chat system there.

Already done, for both Sarah Veblen and Cynthia Guffey!  :)  I bet the more ppl ask, the more Craftsy would consider. But it also depends on the author’s individual choice to work with Craftsy or not.

I think the commitment to respond to student questions on a timely basis for possibly 12 months might be a deterrent.  Sarah Veblen has done classes on patternreview.com but they are open for a more limited period of time.

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:30 AM »
I was looking for more information about the Sew the French Way book...and found a blog post that has scanned in some pages from the French Way book (about gussets). What is really useful, is the blog also has scans from other older sewing books (which you might find at the library) and you can compare how they present the information on the same topic.

https://heycotton.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/gussets-galore/#more-415

I bought a second hand copy of Sew the French Way.  The first chapter is about hand sewing stitches and already I have learned a sturdier way to hand sew pockets on invisibly and how to do an uneven catch hem so you can't get tunnelling.  It will take me a while to work my way through it.  Unfortunately, it is not indexed.  It does however, have an extensive table of contents which is a help in locating things.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
On Palmer and Pletsch's fB page, there is a post about a new book coming out this spring. It's The Palmer and Pletsch Complete Guide to Fitting. I haven't been able to find any cover artwork, however here is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/palmerpletsch/?hc_ref=ARTrBCdpcFG3EonWXhFtDpHrTtj4V_OHiRllwWfS_lmqM_PUl-BF36E6L1e9oqgR7Aw&fref=nf

Here's a link to what the book looks like, and a few preview pages:
https://www.palmerpletsch.com/product/palmer-pletsch-complete-guide-fitting/

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
Kenneth D. King's Smart Fitting Solutions: Foolproof Techniques to Fit Any Figure arrived yesterday.  I've read the first few chapters and I am finding it a useful book.  The format uses a number of real women as models.  The process is to make a few length adjustments to the pattern, cut it in muslin with generous seam allowances, mark the seam lines and baste it together by machine.  Then you read the wrinkles and resolve them.  Once the muslin is perfected, the final pattern is made.  More than 1 muslin may be needed.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
 got Barbara's book last week and have just started reading it.  So far I'm finding it an excellent book.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
got Barbara's book last week and have just started reading it.  So far I'm finding it an excellent book.

Thanks for that Theresa. I love knowing about new sewing books and videos, but to be honest, don't rush to try and get them like I used to. I try and sample things by waiting for the library to get a copy. So far, there's not one nearby that has a copy, and the only library in my state that does have it isn't lending it via the inter-library loan program.

Based on the Amazon (and your) reviews, I think I may have to pony up and get a copy.

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:27 AM »
I bought the Kenneth King book.  I do not have his DVDs, but I have every other fitting book in print, I'm sure.  I found some new information and Ah-Ha moments (where is that lightbulb smiley??) in his book that I can't wait to try!  So far very pleased.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2018, 05:41:07 PM »
I have Barbara's book pre ordered (not out yet in the UK).

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
I ordered Barbara's book and it should be here on Sunday. Of course, a couple of other things are coming along for the ride. I love Prime.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »
Barbara Emodi has a new book out:

https://www.amazon.com/SEW-Garment-Making-Book-Knowledge-Real-Life/dp/1617456047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528375378&sr=8-1&keywords=barbara+emodi

So, umm, I've never heard of her. Who is she and what is so "special" about her? What I mean is why are you all eagerly preordering a book from someone I've never heard of. I Googled her earlier today- I don't recall ever being to her blog before or even hearing it mentioned here at SG. I Googled images and I think I've seen the photo of her with a dog before. Was she a member here at some point?

I took a read, as much as I could, because, frankly, it was not my style. And I was thoroughly unimpressed by her showing us her husband in the undershorts she made for him. Weird at best.

So, umm, what's the appeal? From what I garnered it just more of the same ol' same ol' stuff. What'd I miss?

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
For what it seemed like years to me, Barbara Emodi's articles were the very last item in each month's Australian Stitches. It was very sad for me when she stopped contributing articles. I think I can speak for a lot of others, that we enjoyed Barbara's quirky sense of humour and often identified with the issues she spoke about.

Then I started to follow Barbara's blog although I am a bit behind at present.

I am waiting to hear what everyone thinks of Barbara's book and if I buy it, will probably get the eBook (if it is available) as the cost of postage from the States to Oz has become prohibitively expensive...

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »

I got Barbara's book.  I enjoy her blog and have found useful hints, directions and much to laugh about there.  I'm not sure about the book though... several useful tips, but not too much else (for me).  Biggest lack though is NO INDEX.  Annoying to try to find where she tucked the tip about fusible thread and other goodies.

Connie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »
I received "First Time Garment Fitting: The Absolute Beginner's Guide - Learn by Doing * Step-by-Step" by Sarah Veblen this week and have read most of it.  My big disappointment is that it does not include sleeves! 

It's logically organized with good photos and explanations.  It is intended to be for beginners and I think it achieves that.  There are pointers too for those of us who are more advanced and who have perhaps learned about fitting in a less organized way.  Pants and sleeves are not included but perhaps these topics will be covered in a future book.  The examples in the book are real bodies but the fitting adjustments shown are basically that you've selected an appropriate pattern size and it needs basic fitting adjustments.

Ideas like you may need to make more than one muslin, fitting is something you learn by doing, there is more than one solution, are reinforced in the book.  I think it would be a good choice for a first book on fitting.

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
I'm most of the way through Barbara's book.  if you have been sewing for a long time you really don't need this book but if I were recommending a book for a beginner this would definitely be one I would recommend.  Barb offers important advice to new sewists that you just don't get in the basic sewing books (I'm looking at you Taunton Press, Reader's Digest and those wonky instruction sheets from the Big 4 pattern companies).  It's like having your aunt, grandma or mom who made you fabulous things sitting next to you reassuring you that you can do it and letting you in on maybe a better way than the pattern sheet instructions.

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »
I read Barbara's book last weekend.  Her intended audience is people who are new to sewing and those returning to sewing.  She presents information in a very approachable way. 

As someone who is mostly self taught and has been sewing for decades, there was not much new and a few things that I definitely disagree with, but there were some sections that pulled together some important information very nicely, e.g., what patterns are actually easy to sew -- hint, not the ones the pattern companies label as "easy" and the section on which patterns and fabrics play nicely together.

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »

The Savvy Seamstress, an Illustrated Guide to Customizing Your Favorite Patterns
by Nicole Mallalieu is a gem.  Clearly written and illustrated (no mean feat actually), she shows how to take your favorite, already fitting patterns and add or change all sorts of details from collars to pockets and beyond. 

I know for many people, this is not difficult, but it has been for me.  Even more important and useful for me has been the eye-opening "ooooh that's why you do this, now I understand".

For instance, one of my favorite patterns is the Style Arc Roxy shirt... now I know how to change the collar to a convertible or scoop neck and feel confident.

One of the best investments to my sewing library ever.  :thumbsup:

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:10 AM »

The Savvy Seamstress, an Illustrated Guide to Customizing Your Favorite Patterns
by Nicole Mallalieu is a gem.  Clearly written and illustrated (no mean feat actually), she shows how to take your favorite, already fitting patterns and add or change all sorts of details from collars to pockets and beyond. 

That's interesting, Nicole started as a bag pattern designer.  And they were always great instructions.  I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
I just requested that book from the library. Thanks, Connie, for the suggestion. Sounds like a book well worth perusing.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »

Bookish, I agree, I had just bought (maybe not even a week before you posted) Mallalieu's book (and Kenneth King's fitting book).  I like reading up on descriptions of the same techniques but in the words of different experts - it helps expand my overall understanding.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »
I like reading up on descriptions of the same techniques but in the words of different experts - it helps expand my overall understanding.
Me too! Sometimes a dfferent author presents new ideas but sometimes it is that they present their ideas in a manner more understandable to me — (which is a reflection on my ability to understand not the author’s point of view or ability to express ideas. Fact is sometimes I need to hear/read the same info several times to “get it”.)
sdBev

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2018, 01:18:42 AM »
I just got Sara Alm's book Designing Clothes with the Flat Pattern Method. I was able to use a coupon for it, so that (kinda) made me feel better about buying it, as I hadn't planned on getting it, just happened to see it in the rack. She has a different method for re-drafting a two piece sleeve than Connie Crawford does, it sort of looks to be easier. I haven't read any more than that, but it does look to be pretty good.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2018, 12:48:56 AM »
David Page Coffin is coming out with a new book about shirtmaking. It's listed as being available on Amazon in November.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
I've done a review of Barbari Emodi's book Sew - The Garment Making Book of Knowledge
https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2018/08/sew-garment-making-book-of-knowledge.html

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
David Page Coffin is coming out with a new book about shirtmaking. It's listed as being available on Amazon in November.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've added it to my wish list.

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »

Ruthie,

What a good review of Barbara's book.   :applause2: 
And I so agree about the lack of an index.  What were they thinking???