Author Topic: Fall SWAP Style Sewing  (Read 51289 times)

Offline J Culshaw

• Julie Culshaw
    • The Beauty of a Stitch
Re: Fall SWAP Style Sewing
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
There was a book around about 20 years ago with a title like Capsule Concept  - correct me if I am wrong.   In it, the author had lots of coloured diagrams of various capsules, each seemed to have about 5-7 pieces.  All were colour coordinated,  and they all worked together to give the maximum number of combinations. 
SWAP is basically the same thing, but extended to 11 pieces.   An enlarged capsule really.   
I don't think there is any difference except in the number of pieces.

There have been wardrobe plans around for ever,  SWAP just evolved from a discussion on Sewing World,  and it has come to mean the 11 pieces,  in which you have 4 bottoms, 6 tops,  which gives you 24 combinations.   But the addition of item #11, the jacket, doubles all of those.  So it has 48 combinations which is probably about the maximum anyone would want with a certain set of colours, textures, print, etc.   

Last night, I was going through my stash and besides all the blues that will make one SWAP,  I have this new print that I bought from Fabrics in Vogue  (yes I buy from them too).   It goes perfectly with a red wool in my stash that would make a great jacket, and it has the charcoal and black, of which I must have at least 30 pieces of fabric, waiting to be sewn.   I could be here for a couple of years making these up.     Julie

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2007, 01:44:40 PM »
Many years ago I purchased several tapes from Judith Rasband about capsules.  She was quite big into capsules.  I have used the idea if you have just a few pieces of fabric that match etc and you like the fabric.  If I remember correctly a capsule started with 4 pieces?  I still have all the tapes - some are still in the original packing - never have been looked at!! :o  And, I don't have a tape player any longer!!
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline SewingLibrarian

« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2007, 11:26:24 PM »
I picked up Judith Rasband's tapes at a Half Price Books some years ago. The outfits and hairstyles are a little dated now, but the idea is the same. Pick several pieces that all go together in different combinations. She emphasizes making each piece a different shape. So, no two pairs of the same shaped slacks. Rather, use a tailored pant for one and a wide-leg for another. That sort of thing. She also advocates the "buy hard, sew easy" plan of making the pieces that are easy to make. I disagree with that, as I can make a much nicer jacket than I can afford to purchase, and I think it's a waste of time to make basic tee shirts. But everyone has her own way of doing things.  :) I'm intrigued by Julie's teaser on the contest's twist this year and looking forward to seeing all the rules.
Linda

Offline joan71

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2007, 11:51:40 PM »
  I have geen gone for 3 days and I come back to catch up here at SG and.......... Wow!,  :o all of you with your very interesting and challenging SWAPS have my head spinning.  I have just now printed out a copy of Dana's planning chart and now am ready to go to my stash and see what I come up with.  Knowing me and how indecisive I am when it means making a commitment to assign a piece of my precious fabric to a particular pattern/garment, it will take a bit of perserverance. :-\

Joan

Offline xtiand

« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
Wardrobe patterns......ah now I know I've got some somewhere. Ooh yes, but nothing very exciting, so I may have to visit a fabric shop and look at some more. It's way past time for bed but my mind is off on a sewing plan again. I found my filofax the other day, threw out all the work stuff (not literally, just into a drawer) and filled the little business card holders with swatches. Print outs of patterns or inspirational photos go onto the pages and buttons and trim samples into a clear zip pocket. There are blank pages and a pencil for quick sketches for snoop shopping too. It's small enough to carry with me and at least gives the impression of organisation.

Offline leanmeansewingmachine

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
    • Lean Mean Sewing Machine
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the explanations and helpful links. Gives me alot to think about for my next plan.

Dana

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »
I am headed to NY next week, so have been very busily trying to get the wardrobe in order.  I have finished the TS Capri Jacket in a red boucle from Textile Studio, a stone micromodal LH Bianca top with a grey Yenmet embroidery, a majenta Bianca top with a morphed Canvasback neckline, a soft pink LH Boatneck top with the cowl neck and am now working on brown tencel Cruise pants.  These all also go with a green and pink LH sweater, Brown multi knit LH Zipper jacket and black tencel pants as well as olive matte jersey pants.  I have not been able to do the 11 piece SWAP plan, somehow, I always got hung up on the multicolored 2 pieces that are supposed to tie everything together.  This fall I decided to try my luck with 5 piece capsules.  Once I got started, I was really pleasantly surprised how things started to go together.  I have 3 jackets, 4 pants and 4 tops plus one purchased ecru mock neck top.  When I get back, I am going to add some teal and black as well as more browns.  I feel pretty good! :) :)

Karleene

Offline nolasewer

• My blog
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »
Dana- I love your spreadsheet idea- thanks for showing me how to get better organized- I like being able to see how much I've gotten done too- so that last column, Completed, will keep me moving!

Martha, who needs to get off the computer and do something!!
Sewing complete projects- no UFOs in 2009!

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
nolasewer, we have the same name:  Martha, who needs to get off the compute and do something!   LOL

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »
I am so curious about the rules!

Offline laura_lo

• Laura's sewing room
« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
I promised to keep you posted about my slouchy unlined or underlined or lined pants... They are fully lined in the mystery organza and if you'd like to see them go here http://laurasewingroom.blogspot.com/2007/09/fourth-wardrobe-item.html
Thank you once again for all your advice. I've learned a lot from your answers and finally, as Kathryn said, the most important was to try the drape of the fabrics together before cutting. Which I did in front of the mirror for about an hour.
I was lucky, the fabric was so soft and drapey that I think the underlining changed it for the better!

Offline joan71

« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2007, 02:59:40 PM »
laura, I absolutely love your slouchy HP pants.   You did a marvelous job with the project, taking time to add coutour details that add so much to the end product.  The fit is great and you look tres chic wearing them.  I enjoyed the pictures, looking inside pants.  I can tell this was a lobor of love.

Joan

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »
LauraLo, your slouchy HP pants are absolutely fabulous.  Obviously all the time and attention to detail really paid off here.  And I love your color choices as well: the black, white and gray with yellow is one of my favorite combinations for fall.

Offline Fox Valley Patti

• Fox Valley Patti
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
Laura -

Brava!  Those pants are fabulous!!

I must admit that my pair is 1/2 finished and in my UFO pile - now I'm inspired to get them out!  Love your labels, and the waistband finish!!
Fox Valley Patti

Offline Karrol

« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
woah! Laura, those pants looks really fantastic! great detail work!
I've been pondering getting that pattern - now I think I need it AND some sewing lessons!  ::)

Offline susan w

« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
Laura, love the pants, the black skirt and the check jacket.  It is so special all the notes you share.  I have a Google account, but can't post my compliments at your blog.  But I just wanted to say thank you for everything you do to help enrich our sewing experience.

susan w

Offline laura_lo

• Laura's sewing room
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
Thank you very much, ladies!
Susan, I see you managed to comment on my blog... thanks a lot.
I've just posted some links to free designer patterns (downloadable). You might know of those links already but thought they might come in handy.

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2007, 08:33:21 PM »
Here's my fabrics for the chocolate/ornage/cream SWAP.
I shall wait to hear about the 'twist' before cutting anything much out, though I will maybe start with a blouse out of the top right fabric in a 'vintage' blouse pattern from 1980.

Offline joan71

« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2007, 08:41:28 PM »
Ruthie, What a great fabric selection for your SWAP. 
Now I need to go take a look at your blog to peek at your ideas for the fabric.

Joan

Offline leanmeansewingmachine

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
    • Lean Mean Sewing Machine
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2007, 12:08:50 AM »
Laura, your trousers look so nice - inside and out! ;D I learned about the welt pocket method you used years ago and haven't had a bad pocket since. Not only that, at one point I timed myself and found it only took 10 minutes for one pocket! I do it slightly different; instead of putting markings on the interfacing, I attach the interfacing separately and sew through a piece of graph paper to create the box. The lines on the paper ensure accurate welts and the paper tears away easily after sewing.

Dana

Offline blue mooney

• If it feels good, wear it!
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2007, 12:31:58 AM »
Laura, your pants look wonderful inside & out - that fit is fantastic on you!
RuthieK, you are the swappin'est woman I know. - and so far ahead of the game, with fabrics already chosen and all.

I've got some swap ideas floating around in my head, but I'm waiting to hear what the twist is before I get too involved in planning. Maybe this is the year for the black & white basics? The twist will tell!

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2007, 12:52:17 AM »
Laura ~ the pants are amazing!  Thanks for sharing all of the information and pics on your blog.

RuthieK ~ those are some really nice fabrics that you have put together for your SWAP.

I am getting kinda antsy waiting for the rules and the twist?!?  Hopefully soon we will know what it is!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
I came across this
http://casualelegancefabric.com/newsletter
Then click on Possibilities - The Trip to download an article on sewing a Loes Hinse Travel Wardrobe.

This one uses black, ivory and one colour (blush pink, but could be anything you like)
2 jackets, 2 cardigans, 6 shells, 1 top, 1 blouse
4 pants, 1 skirt and 3 scarves
Its a lot of sewing but as it uses all Loes Hinse patterns I should think its relatively quick to sew them.
Julie sells a lot of the Loes Hinse patterns on her site, so anyone who wanted to use this article for inspiration could buy the patterns as their SWAP entry.
http://www.timmelfabrics.com/loeshinse.htm

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: September 29, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
Laura, stunning pants on a stunning figure!  Loved all your inside details which make them look so professional.

I was a bit taken aback by the size 6.  I'm not familiar with Hotpatterns and couldn't believe that such a size existed!!  On checking though, I realised that the measurements make it equivalent to a UK size 10 in RTW, which is the smallest size readily available here.  What is it with this numbers game?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:11:24 AM by AnnRowley »

Offline RobbieJo

« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »
Laura--you look Mah-vo-lus dahlink!!!!  The garments are to die for and I wouldn't mind having a tiny body like that to sew for.  The garments lose something in the translation to a 20!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »
It's always so nice to return from a trip and find lovely things to view here.  Laura, your Vogue skirt and the Slouchy Man pants are both wonderful pieces.  I really enjoy getting the details behind each garment on your 'blog.  Keep on sewing--I'm living vicariously through your sewing these days.  :)

And speaking of vicarious living, I've been an armchair SWAPer for the past several years.  I don't participate due mostly to the unpredictabilities of life for the past couple of years, but I thoroughly enjoy following along. It's so much fun to see the storyboards evolve into the entire capsule.  Dana, Shannon, Ruthie, Patti, and others, it's so nice to look at your plans at this stage.  I wonder what curve Julie will be throwing this year--it's sure to be interesting.

Kathryn

Offline andib

« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »
Carolyn, I thought you were not going to SWAP this year???

I alway think about SWAP but then never do, but I figured I could be more successful if I had more TNT patterns.  I am spending the fall working on a blouse pattern (woven) and  a pant pattern.  Then I might actually SWAP!

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2007, 06:28:28 PM »
Carolyn, I thought you were not going to SWAP this year???

I'm probably not...just the twist has me intrigued!  I don't have the time and even though I ended up with some fantastic pieces last year which are really going to make me look great this fall, I am still more no than yes.  I am just so danged intrigued....
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline J Culshaw

• Julie Culshaw
    • The Beauty of a Stitch
« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
Suspense no longer.   Be sure to read carefully the requirement on the pattern, the "twist"  -  it is quite encompassing and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.  I counted 57 patterns in Vogue alone that would qualify.   Note the wardrobe pattern only has to have 3 garments in it,  not the usual 5-6 that we associate with wardrobing patterns.   Should be quite easy to fulfil this rule.    Julie

http://www.timmelfabrics.com/swap.htm
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:44:35 PM by Timmel Fabrics »

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #309 on: September 29, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »
Julie, how exciting! Thanks for posting those so far in advance :-) now we can all plan in earnest.
Being able to make 2 garments in advance definitely helps the schedule a little! Thanks for permitting that one :-)
I'm looking forward to 'working' a wardrobe pattern. Though I probably won't take you up on the 'knit/crochet/weave' one garment option as I have NO skills in those areas. It'll be interesting to see what does come out of that part though.
With the advance time allowed someone could knit a cardigan sweater in advance and use it in the SWAP.

Anyway maybe we should start a new topic for the 'official' SWAP.....

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #310 on: September 29, 2007, 07:10:53 PM »
Hmmm, interesting twist! I figured it would be something along those lines when you were talking about wardrobe patterns, Julie. Seems like it would be pretty easy to include, and I'm pleased about being able to include a dress or two with the separates if one wants.

I'll have to ponder and see how that might fit with what I was sorta thinking of doing.

ETA to correct wording/numbering.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:17:32 PM by LauraTS »
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Betboyd

• Bboydshouse
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
LauraTS , I tried to leave  a comment on your journal..about your vintage pattern , but , it didnt post..hope its ok I leave it here..  I made that pattern for myself in the 70's  with a knit and it did fine.. course that was the time of the poly knits.. I would think it make up fine in a knit as long as it not too much stretch . Beejay

Offline xtiand

« Reply #312 on: September 29, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »
Thank you Julie for the SWAP rules, how exciting.
There is an article in Threads number 92 December/January 2001 called take a Pattern to the Max  by Gayla Gardner with some good ideas. The Adri pattern mentioned is out of print but there are other adri patterns in Vogue and plenty of similar styles in both Vogue and other catalogues.
Christian

Offline LauraTS

• Chiral Craft
« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
Beejay, sorry you had problems commenting on my blog. Thank you for the feedback - I think I'm definitely going to give it a try. I find CB zippers really annoying anyway, so a knit seems to be a good way to avoid one in this pattern.

I'm thinking that Vogue 2989 might be a good one for the wardrobe pattern for me. I don't wear fitted jackets that much, and this jacket is more cardigan-y, but with some shape to it. I'm not sure how I feel about the drape thing on the skirt, though.

It would actually be a lot of fun to try to do a whole SWAP with only one wardrobe pattern, but I don't think I'll try it just yet.  :o
I blog about sewing at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #314 on: September 29, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
Laura, Your pants look just great, and of course they look wonderful on you as well as just lying there showing off all the beautiful details.  ;)  Glad you had good luck with the mystery organza.  As always, the finished look is most important, and yours is lovely.  :)

Glad to see the new rules!  Should be a very interesting twist.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics