Author Topic: Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tank Top  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tank Top
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »
Has anyone else tried this pattern? I'm making a size L with a darted front. The side seams are about 1 1/4 inches off with the back being too long. If the front was long, Iwould think I should ease it in, but there is a dart so that doesn't make sense. I don't need easing in the back. I've remeasured the pattern pieces so I'm sure I'm correct. Now, do I just cut off from the bottom or what? Any ideas?

~Sherril~

Offline vtmartha

Re: Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tank Top
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:47:42 PM »
Sherril, Pamela was very quick to answer my email when I had a question while making her skirt.  If you don't find the answer here quickly, try contacting her.  I have a fitting muslin of this top but I haven't put it together yet.

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »
That is odd!  I made the pattern a while back and the pattern was drafted fine.
1 1/4 inches is a lot to be off!

When I emailed Pamela, she was very quick to respond and she explained her answer in a way that was easy for me to understand.
Good luck!

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »
Sherril,
I bought the pattern recently.  I did pull it out and look at it, but didn't make it.  I do remember that there were two fronts - one with a dart and one without.  I don't remember two backs, but if there is a front pattern with no dart then shouldn't there be a back pattern that is shorter in or to accommodate the no dart top too? 

I'll pull mine out again and take a look.
Linda
New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:29 PM »
I talked to Pamela and she went to the pattern and remeasured. I was right in that the back is too long. I was wrong as to how much. I measured at the cut edge instead of at the seam allowance (which I knew better than to do) so it's not quite as much as I thought though. Pamela said that the excess should be cut off at the bottom edge tapering to nothing about 4" in. IOW, cut a 4" wedge off the hem at the side and you will be fine. She thinks the excess length is about 3/8" but I think is is more.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
Good job, Sherill, in following through on this concern of yours.  I imagine that Pamela is grateful that you pointed out the discrepancy for her.  I know Sandra Betzina has talked often about all that goes on between her final drafted pattern and what ultimately gets stuffed into the pattern envelope, so the error could have occurred anywhere along the way, I would think. 

You provided a nice service to others who will be using this pattern and to the pattern author as well.  You deserve an extra large pat on the back for being so helpful!

Kathryn

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
Thanks Kathryn, what a nice thing to say. I forgot to add that this excess length is only on the darted large and xlarge sizes according to Pamela.

Offline Towanda

• Life is sew sew good
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
I really like this tank top pattern but it didn't come in my size. I wanted to get the pattern but I need too many alterations to make tops fit. I get so frustrated that I give up. So I ended up drafting a computer pattern similar to her pattern. It is my favorite tank top. Sherrill, once you get the pattern adjusted, the top is very nice.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »
Towanda, do you have a review, or at least a pic of your tank? I love to see your garments. You do such a great job fitting your, um, special issues.   ;)

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
Sherril, I totally agree with Kathryn about contacting Pamela to let her know.
If I were an indie pattern maker, I would really appreciate the feedback.

And, I was mistaken when I said I had made that pattern (woops!).
I made the Perfect T Shirt, not the Perfect Tank Top.
Robin

Offline Sherril Miller

• Sherril's Sewing Saga
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:26:24 PM »
Robin, see my post above. I did talk to her and she really did appreciate the notice. I know she was embarrassed too. I also wanted to mention that she has a new pattern out for a twin set. One is a cardi and the other is a bolero style twin. I'm sure I'll have to get them for fall.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics