Author Topic: Your favorite tools not found at the fabric store  (Read 9817 times)

Offline srna

• O/T Politics
Re: Your favorite tools not found at the fabric store
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 03:59:43 AM »
I use a length of stair handrail for a seam stick.  It has a small flat side that keeps it from rolling easily, and was much cheaper than a true seam stick.  And I bought a magnetic parts dish from an auto supply place to use as a magnetic pincushion, also much cheaper than the magnetic pincushions I've seen in stores.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »
I've had what should amount to a jumping up and down revelation today. But since it's been a bit hot and sticky of late, I guess being inwardly happy and grateful is about alls I can muster.

I needed to get a new spool of serger thread in order to continue work on the latest project I'm in the middle of. Of course, since I haven't yet mastered Ramona's (of ASG fame) method of tying on a new spool, even though I did tie the new thread to the old they came apart and I was left with the uphill task of rethreading the lower looper.

Oh bother.

Ok. Go ahead. Laugh. I probably would have myself, if it wasn't so muggy. And no, I don't have the air on, trying to be a good steward and not contribute to the drain on the grid. Anyway.

I got it threaded in fairly short order, gave it a try and nothin! Looked and saw that the needle wasn't threaded...a mystery AND a real dilemma because that needle hole is swathed in darkness! I do have a little light mounted to the left side of the serger, but it's not bright enough to enable me to see the needle hole properly.

So that usually means that I'm in for at least fifteen/twenty minutes of squinting, sighing, approximating, getting down on my knees, moving the finger guard, repositioning the little light as much as possible....you get the idea.

Well, as I was just entering the third attempt to thread the needle, tweezers in hand, deep breath, the new dishwasher arrived. The man that came with it set about his business, on the floor, under the sink with a small penlight in his hand. I stood there watching and thought..."of course"! I was kinda desperate at that point, and almost ask him if I could borrow his for a few minutes, but I held my tongue. He was working, and I didn't want to disturb.

I remembered that DD the Youngest had given me an ink pen some months ago, and it happened to have had a little light on the end where the clicker was supposed to be. Now, where'd I put it?

Rummaged around in my purse, (it needed cleaning anyway) and...nothin! Doh! I'd just about given up, but had a vague memory of having put it in a makeshift sewing/knitting caddy. After moving the knitting needles/pencils/ink pens etc. around, I spied it!

Holding the penlight in one hand, the tweezered thread in the other, it took me all of thirty seconds to thread the needle. Eureka!!! Started up the machine, still no go. NOW what? The looper thread had somehow slipped out, but with that little light, I got it back in it's proper spot in no time.

The light is now securely tucked away in the little drawer on the side of the serger, along with the other absolutely essential accessories needed to make it run. ;) It's one of those, "now why didn't I think of that?!?" type deals.

A total game changer. :) If I wasn't so overcome with heat exhaustion, I'd be doin' the happy dance.

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2018, 11:38:12 PM »
 :applause2:  Brilliant!  Isn't it nice when you can solve something so frustrating?

You might like one of these when you're ready to go high tech.  LOL! 

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2018, 01:08:23 AM »
I have several of these clamps from the hardware store for holding my embroidery frame on the table when I'm doing goldwork.  Only thing is that hubby keeps borrowing them, and I have to buy more as I won't use them after he's dirtied them.

Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2018, 01:10:56 AM »
I also bought several hemostat locking forceps off ebay, after watching Kenneth King's video on invisible zipper installation.  They're brilliant, like having an extra hand some days!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:06 AM »
I have some rubbery mesh shelf /drawer liner to stop the overlocker vibrating so much.
It works well. Its black in colour though which I don't like much in my light room, so might keep an eye out for the white version instead.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 06:35:31 AM »
I have several of these clamps from the hardware store for holding my embroidery frame on the table when I'm doing goldwork.  Only thing is that hubby keeps borrowing them, and I have to buy more as I won't use them after he's dirtied them.

Paint the next set bright pink. ;)
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 12:23:59 PM »

or purple or paint lips on them. Somehow men are then reluctant to use these things.

Ps has to be clearly lips.
sdBev

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »

or purple or paint lips on them. Somehow men are then reluctant to use these things.

Ps has to be clearly lips. 

I'm thinking pink glitter...  LOL.  It's literally that he didn't realise that I owned them, and thought I had borrowed them originally.  Mine are now labelled as mine, although pink paint (or glitter) would make it more obvious.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »
:applause2:  Brilliant!  Isn't it nice when you can solve something so frustrating?

You might like one of these when you're ready to go high tech.  LOL!

Thanks so much for the link sewvt!!! That little handy dandy looking gizmo is on my "from me, to me" Christmas list!

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2018, 05:10:46 PM »
Melinda

Whatever scares ‘em off.  Personally, Ive found threats of death also work.

But I do compromise. Like I have a rotary cutter which can be used and Ive bought a few pair of sharp, good scissors that are placed about the house and can be used for paper.  DH particularly likes the pair in the bathroom for triming his mustache.
sdBev

Offline angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
Melinda

Whatever scares ‘em off.  Personally, Ive found threats of death also work.

But I do compromise. Like I have a rotary cutter which can be used and Ive bought a few pair of sharp, good scissors that are placed about the house and can be used for paper.  DH particularly likes the pair in the bathroom for triming his mustache.

My husband and son are trained that if it has an orange handle, they are to keep hands off. Since they both dislike orange because it's the school color of each of their college's biggest rival, it's worked quite well.

Angelia