Author Topic: Koos Van Den Akker Vogue 2971 spring 07  (Read 6503 times)

windingdrive

Koos Van Den Akker Vogue 2971 spring 07
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:53:34 PM »
Good afternoon all - Just a few pics to share and some notes of encouragement ! ! ! ! !  I have made a paper mock up of this pattern. This pattern is perfect for picnics at parks or on beaches.

Perfect for bonfires and drumming. Wonderful mix of romantic european bustles and ethnic african continental.

Kudos to Koos and Vogue for bringing this fresh idea.

I shudder when I see the dresses from the fourties knowing how life was for women during those times. I have no reason to want to emmulate that (without all the undergarments and galantry of course) Those days are GONE. Let's move ahead........

(Now I just have to learn how to post the pictures)
Managed to get one mock up view posted.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:01:48 PM by windingdrive »

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
Re: Koos Van Den Akker Vogue 2971 spring 07
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:41 PM »
Does the fabric actually fold back into pocket areas?  I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this one.   ???
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
Windingdrive, thanks for starting this topic.  I bought that pattern the first day it was announced here on SG.  It's such an interesting design.  What a good idea to make a little mockup (I remember doing that with the Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt, to figure out what went where).  Those pockets are inserted so cleverly.  I don't know whether that skirt would look good on me, since I am only 5'2", but I would love to give it a whirl.  (I also love the top in that pattern).  In the meanwhile, I'll be delighted to follow along with your progress.  Please keep those photos coming.

Here is information that we like to pass on to all new posters to help get acquainted with the site:

1.   Visit the “Are You New?” topic by clicking here:  Are you new? 

2.   Learn about the forum rules by clicking here: Forum decorum...FAQs

3.   Play in the Sandbox by clicking here : Sandbox .  There you can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight in the Sandbox topic without affecting any of the other active topics.  It’s truly a “no worries” place to play and learn:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of us four site administrators or a site moderator.  One or the other of us is almost always around.  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright red or bright blue.  You can always send us a private message at any time if you need help.

In addition, there is information about posting photos and links in the FAQ section that will come in handy as you continue to describe your progress with this Koos pattern.  Here are links for that info, also contained in the FAQ section:

Making a Link

and

Photo Posting

Welcome to SG, Windingdrive!

Kathryn

windingdrive

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Looking at this pattern is deceptive. Starting with the top yoke- of Three sections - One front and two back -it is straight forward. After attaching the lower panel to the FRONT yoke imagine the back of the skirt as the remaining two thirds of the circumference. This is where the new stuff happens. Unbeleivable as it seems there is an additional teir added to the back two thirds of the skirt yoke. With such great humor this second teir of yoke is not attached to itself as we are used too in the back. I will try to post a second picture. Rather the lowest and longest around section of the skirt follows the new edges of the additional yoke. It goes all boinging out and folding in, Very funny and fun and comfortable. This is not Business wear but goodness sakes I think we all need some FUN that is not about "clubbing" or "weddings".

windingdrive

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »
The actual Koos garment has a much nicer finish at the hem of course.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:26:29 AM »
Very interesting, windingdrive.   :)  It's great to see your paper mock-ups, and it makes it much clearer, although I don't have the pattern.  It did intrigue me, though, and I can see that I'd better plan on getting it.  I can't wait to see your "real life" version! 8)

windingdrive

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
Thank you to Julie Ford for making this (blogg?) available. Thank you to Kathryn and Liana who are always here. Thank you to Linda 75142 for throwing her voice into the "canyon". I have figured out how to post the pictures for this project (they are now all one picture).

As an experienced seamstress (sewist?) I know that the effort has been to flatter the figure. That idea is simply "off the rack" in todays ready to wear market which is blooming with wonderful choices.

I have always loved the idea of incorporating basic geometric shapes into clothing but have never gone beyond basic tiered and gored skirts.

This example ( V2971) of geometry creating, destroying, redirecting, the drape of a garment is new to me.

Offline M and M

• M&M's Projects
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
Thanks, Windingdrive, for providing more information on Koo's skirt.  It really looks fascinating.  Issei Miyake is not doing any more interesting garments lately, or at least not available by Vogue, and I've been yearning for something interesting.   :)

windingdrive

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »
Hello M & M nice to meet you in this format. Speaking of drape - did once make a dress form for myself using tissue paper, packing tape, and expanding foam insulation. At the time I had even less "sewing room" and the kids were quite spooked by this extra person in the house.

For this Koos skirt- I did wonder about curving the second yoke panels (pocket section) rather than having them cut as rectangles. However there is a relationship between the angle of the first yoke and the "wrinkle" effect that is worth cutting "as is" for an outright trubute.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:19:29 AM by windingdrive »

windingdrive

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »
Friend of mine saw orange and white stripe and nearly died. It was all I could findwithing 20 miles. She said she would go hunting oline for something more appropriate. Also next week I will visit a store in Lynn, MA and see what they have in stock. I do not buy over the internet often.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
Love that stripe, windingdrive!  I would use it in a heartbeat!  I love fabric quests, though, especially when there is no deadline for the garment involved.  Have fun on your quest for the perfect stripe for this skirt/top!

Kathryn

Offline Fox Valley Patti

• Fox Valley Patti
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »
This could be interesting for that fun, summer skirt!

I'll keep my eye on this discussion - by the time I get around to sewing it, Summer will be gone!
Fox Valley Patti

Offline TashaGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »
Windingdrive-

Did you finish your skirt?  I bought my fabrics last Tuesday - one of those days when I had 1 - 1 1/2 hours between doctor appointments so I went to the fabric store. Any thoughts on the best way to shorten the skirt?

Offline Karen

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
FYI,  I made the top to this pattern. Went together very quickly and easily.  I made a 10 but should have started smaller, I thought it was the pattern but after making another Simplicity knit top in a 10 which I used to be able to just pull out of the envelope and sew w/o altering (except back of armsye, broad back there, same for all Simplicity knit top patterns) it must be me, conclusion, it seems to run to size.  It is very wide on top, i.e. consider a strapless bra or your straps will probably show.  Very cute though, it got lots of compliments, and on a day when you don't feel like something close figure fitting it's a great buffet top too left untied.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
Karen, I'm so happy to hear that you made the top!  Did you make it from a stripe knit, or what?  I would love to see a photo of your creation, if you have the time and inclination.  If not, I'll just imagine!  I really want to make this top as well, especially for when cooler days return.

Kathryn

Offline Kathleen C.

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Kathleen C.'s photos
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »
I hope it's okay to post this, it's a public accesible blog, but I haven't asked permission... there's a photo on David Coffin's site of the Koos outfit made by Kathryn Brenne. It's wonderful!
Koos by Kathryn

Kathleen C.
Dips in the Road of Creativity
http://dipndip.blogspot.com

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »
Ooooh, Kathleen, that is so pretty.  Kathryn Brenne is really a sewist extraordinaire!  I love the skirt!  Thanks for the link.

Kathryn

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:08 AM »
Thanks Kathleen, gorgeous! 

Offline Crockett

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
If anyone is still looking at this topic, please help!  I am trying to make this skirt.  I admit, it's an ambitious project for me, but I am soooo close!  I simply cannot visualize how the lower front and back attach to the upper side and front!  If pictures are available from any of your projects, I would be so grateful for any assistance!  I can't find any newer posts from windingdrive.  Thanks in advance!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »
Crockett, here is a link that describes how the skirt is put together:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?reviewnum=24740

And here is a link to Kathryn Brenne's 'blog where she showcases her wonderful version of the skirt.  If you contact her via the 'blog, I bet she would have an answer for you.

http://finesewing.blogspot.com/2007/06/vogue-pattern-2971.html

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline Crockett

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
Thanks, Kathryn!  I will try her.  Gads, it will be beautiful if I don't rip it to shreds before it's finished!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics