Author Topic: New Babylock serger - Ovation  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Morejoy

New Babylock serger - Ovation
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Got this on an sewing email list of the newest Babylock serger.

WoW .. how I'd love that huge harp space, but I couldn't handle all
the needle and thread configurations and accompanying
changes .. would drive me batty.  So I'll stick with my beloved
Imagine, but I can still drool  ..  :faintthud: Can't imagine how many
zeroes ...

http://www.babylock.com/ovation/

NAYY

~Joy~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: New Babylock serger - Ovation
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
Well let me pat you on the back and make you feel better.  I have the viking S21 not quite so elaborate as the Bl Ovation, but still has a lot of seriously good features which I never use. Why? Because I have to switch those needles and rethread and play with dials.  All I really want to do is serge very fast.  I did like the CS so well that I bought a separate CS.

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
I know that this is one huge machine! I don't have the space so it's a no brainer I don't need it!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
Well let me pat you on the back and make you feel better.  I have the viking S21 not quite so elaborate as the Bl Ovation, but still has a lot of seriously good features which I never use. Why? Because I have to switch those needles and rethread and play with dials.  All I really want to do is serge very fast.  I did like the CS so well that I bought a separate CS.

I hear ya, Bev, and definitely wholeheartedly relate to the complex, probably
frustrating process that would be way too frustrating for me, and as well:  the
value of having a separate CS.  Recently I've been very intrigued with blind
hemmers.

Ms. Celie's Pants blog described her recent vintage-ish eBay acquisition,
relative ease of use after the obligatory learning curve and showed the very
professional results.

Pic: 

Her key posts about it:

http://missceliespants.com/2013/06/18/my-poor-poor-eyes/   

http://missceliespants.com/2013/07/02/i-dont-want-to-overstate-this/

Very intriguing ...

~Joy~
of attack

betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
I was told it will have an introductory price of $6000. Someone else said it will have all 22 feet, but Baby Lock doesn't usually include all feet. It is a HUGE machine. I saw the machine yesterday but was not allowed to touch it. The dealers are very careful with the new releases as Baby Lock likes to tightly control how their machines are sold. Most large dealers will have big fanfare release parties for this machine. (I am going to the one in my city, I love parties!)

This all being said, if you have been on the fence about getting a Baby Lock serger, the entire lineup will shift in price. Some of the former TOL will be at great new prices. The dealers will also be wanting to sell that inevntory. People will be turning in their former TOL as trade-ins (hopefully with the big foot packages  ;) ).

My dealer says people have already come in & ordered the Ovation, some people just get every new machine. (One came in while I was there yesterday) It's out of the range of affordability for so many, but it is one beautiful machine. The 5 inches of harp space I would love! The tiny crevice of harp space on my Coverstitch makes me cranky sometimes. I also love the LED stadium lighting, it is super bright. I can't wait to run some samples through it & see how quiet & smooth it is!

Baby Lock BLCR Crescendo, Baby Lock BLCS Cover Stitch, Elna 925 DCX serger, Coveting the Baby Lock Ovation

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
"I was told it will have an introductory price of $6000."

~ ~ ~

:sterb050:   Holy moly! And wow .. if true, that's really something.
Who'da thunk  ...

But having previously been around the field for years, I'm very
familiar with those who automatically *have to* and do always
get the latest new wonder machine.

Thanks for the info.

~Joy~
of attack

betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
I'm now told the "Introductory Package" will be all 22 feet (Drool!!!), the Trolley Bag (which is supposed to A-mazing!) and the Inspiration Guide.  It really is an amazing machine. Half those feet will fit over on my Cover Stitch too. Yes, it is $5999. Yikes. Who knows of your dealer will offer this or for how long. (so mysterious!)

For those of you who have been coveting the Evolution, Enlighten, etc., go snuggle up to your dealer. They will be getting in perfectly good trade-ins & if they know what you want, they will keep you in mind. The prices of new ones will come down too.

Baby Lock BLCR Crescendo, Baby Lock BLCS Cover Stitch, Elna 925 DCX serger, Coveting the Baby Lock Ovation

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
And WoW! it's enormous! Even the dealer I called because I was curious said it looks like the Evolution on steroids!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »
Want want want want... I couldn't even sleep after I saw it the other day. I kept seeing LED lights, 5" harp space... no really. If it comes with all those shiny things... oh dear!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:54 AM »
... Half those feet will fit over on my Cover Stitch too....
whoa! I ve really been wondering if we could use some of our serger feet with the CS. Any comments?

Offline Garden Girl

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:04 AM »
OMG!         OMG!!          OMG!!!       :faintthud:
  • The Lights!
  • The Harp Size!
  • The Presser Foot Lifter!
  • The Price!

Whew! I got caught up in all the excitement for a minute. And it only costs $5835 more than my current serger, which is grossly under utilized. This is, of course, a gorgeous machine, but...I am sooo not the target market. LOL

DH did ask what I wanted for Christmas just this morning. Oh, Honey...

Rene

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:55 AM »
LOL!

I keep telling my DH it is amazing. He has a Sailrite, so he *knows*... I just might pull this off...

**Ovation***

Offline Garden Girl

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:42 AM »
WinkyBlinky-luv the name!

Upon reflection I feel compelled to add that the serger was a 50th birthday gift.  It came gift wrapped in the trunk of a new (to me) car, so I suppose I should actually consider it a much more expensive serger than the Ovation. Right? ;D

The car is not underutilized.

Rene

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
... Half those feet will fit over on my Cover Stitch too....
whoa! I ve really been wondering if we could use some of our serger feet with the CS. Any comments?

I'm looking at the Baby Lock SERGERS catalog and assuming they did not make 22 completely new feet, every foot that fits the Evolution fits the Cover Stitch except the: Beading Foot (BLE8-BF), Blindhem Foot (BLE8-BLHF), Cording Foot (BLE8-CF), Cover/Chain Stitch Foot (BLE8-CCF), Lace Applicator (BLE8-LF), Ruffling Foot (BLE8-RF)

If I am buying 22 feet, I love the idea I can use them on two machines. Some of those feet get close to $100.  :o

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »

Offline Razel

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »
I got to sew on the Ovation yesterday at my Babylock dealer.  It was just me and 3 of the employees. It is a much bigger machine than my Evolve and has some great new features.  We set up the machine for a three thread overlock and wide cover stitch and did some creative sewing, including ribbon using the additional slots in the new basic foot. 

I have been wanting the larger space to the right of the needle as I like to do decorative sewing. I did order the Ovation. They are expecting delivery this weekend. I can't wait to get it. 

My dealer added additional items to the Babylock package and offered a price that was less than what has been quoted in previous posts. The dealer is a high volume dealer and may have gotten more favorable pricing. I don't know.  It is still an expensive machine.

By the way, supposedly, there will be a new foot to sew curves.
Randi

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
Wonderful! I was not allowed to go touch it. You are lucky! How quiet was it?

Offline Razel

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
The dealer was letting anyone try the Ovation. Isn't that what encourages people to buy?

I think the sound level was about the same as my Evolve. It was hard to tell in the store because we were all too busy commenting on the new features and what we wanted to sew.

Randi

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:50:59 PM »
When I saw it, I don't think it was "officially" released yet.  8) :-X

Offline andib

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »
What is the leaver just to the right of the table area?

Offline Razel

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
It raises the presser foot. They moved it from the back to the front. There is also a knee lift to raise the presser foot.
Randi

Offline windsong

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »
I was told it will have an introductory price of $6000. Someone else said it will have all 22 feet, but Baby Lock doesn't usually include all feet. It is a HUGE machine. I saw the machine yesterday but was not allowed to touch it. The dealers are very careful with the new releases as Baby Lock likes to tightly control how their machines are sold. Most large dealers will have big fanfare release parties for this machine. (I am going to the one in my city, I love parties!)

This all being said, if you have been on the fence about getting a Baby Lock serger, the entire lineup will shift in price. Some of the former TOL will be at great new prices. The dealers will also be wanting to sell that inevntory. People will be turning in their former TOL as trade-ins (hopefully with the big foot packages  ;) ).

My dealer says people have already come in & ordered the Ovation, some people just get every new machine. (One came in while I was there yesterday) It's out of the range of affordability for so many, but it is one beautiful machine. The 5 inches of harp space I would love! The tiny crevice of harp space on my Coverstitch makes me cranky sometimes. I also love the LED stadium lighting, it is super bright. I can't wait to run some samples through it & see how quiet & smooth it is!

I love new sewing machines and sergers! I really do! HOWEVER, I was looking at Bernina prices the other night and I just about dropped on the floor! $10,000 for a top of the line machine is INSANE!

I admit I don't do embroidery or quilting but, even if I did, I would NEVER pay that for a machine. It's nothing to do with affording it at all. It's just insane!

The sewing machine companies must have lost all sense of reason.

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:08:53 AM »

I have been wanting the larger space to the right of the needle as I like to do
decorative sewing. I did order the Ovation. They are expecting delivery this
weekend. I can't wait to get it. 

~ ~ ~

Wow, Randi .. hearty, joyous congratulations to you!  That harp space increase is
just a killer.  How I'd love to have that room and the options and practicality it must
provide.  I hope when you snuggle up to it and start experimenting you'll give us the
blow-by-blow updates of what it's like to use and all the new things you can do on it.
Who knows .. the lottery could come in, and I could mature and be blessed with more
space and patience .. ;)

Your dealer sounds fantastic~!  Is he/she in the Midwest?

Enjoy getting acquainted, and have a ball with it .. !!

~Joy~
of attack

betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Garden Girl

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:50 AM »
Congratulations Razel! Enjoy the new toy!

It looks amazing. I really like the big lever to raise the presser foot and it's placement. Also the speed control, nice. The range of feet is something else. I've just got a basic 3/4 thread differential feed Singer that was under 200 yet does everything I wanted from a serger. I looked at extra feet and to get the 7 or 8 available would cost more than the serger itself.

Now Windsong, I know, I know, when you first learn the price of some of the top end machines it makes you swoon. And on the one hand, like you, it seems crazy to me. Then again if one has the ability to get one I will share their joy in the purchase. Get what you feel good about having. And as Morejoy said, maybe the lottery will come in and I might loosen up the purse strings a tiny bit.

Ah...who am I kidding?  :D

Rene

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 05:15:33 AM »
Morejoy, Midwest??? I am in Missouri, and new to the state, just how large is the midwest? 
Deb

Living in Northwest Missouri

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
Or you could just get a job at the dealer and even if it's not destined to come home with you, you could have the pleasure of playing with it at work! That's what I did this afternoon when it was quiet for awhile, we have a floor model now and they've arrived for those who already ordered. Whether or not I'd won the lottery and it was coming home with me (where?!), we are very grateful for those who "automatically must have and do get" the newest latest greatest tol along with all our other valued customers and share their excitement.

Congratulations on your new sewing companion, it was enticing when I first used and showed it at preview events and was indeed a pleasure to stitch on today.
Karen

Offline andib

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but why do you need the larger area?  I just do garments and some home dec on my serger, and I never have thought I needed more space.  Inquiring minds want to know!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
When you use serger functions,you are always sewing in the edge. But when you set up the cover stitch, you can go.into the interior.  Then I would appreciate having the extra harp room.

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Coverstitching or any flat decorative stitching can definitely use lots of harp space. I often grumble at my tiny space on my coverstitch machine. I would really enjoy & use all this space.

Offline andib

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
Obviously I only do hems on my cover stitch! ;D

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
Debbie S -- according to  a map search, this is a map of the Midwest, so you're there ;)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=map+of+midwest&ei=UTF-8&fr=chr-greentree_ff&ilc=12&type=198484

Andib - these Sewing With Nancy videos using the Babylock Evolution give
a pretty good demonstration of decorative coverstitch possibilities.  But I'd
say you can certainly expand the options with the features and harp size of
the Ovation.

http://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video/serger-boutique-part-1

http://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video/serger-boutique-part-2

What a difference in the harp size of this machine compared to the
new Ovation, even though it does allow sewing in the interior a bit. 
It looks tiny compared to new one, so I can definitely see how much
flexibility and versatility the Ovation would provide.  It would be really
nice to be able to sew/embellish on the interior of a piece. 

Wait!  Am I talking myself into really wanting one?
Naah .. couldn't possibly do it .... right now.  But I will still drool. ;)

~Joy~

of attack

betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline WinkyBlinky

• Basically Harmless
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 12:58:52 AM »
I hear you Joy~

I love new technology. I love feet, new features. I could talk myself into any new groundbreaking machine. DH will be so happy not to purchase an Ovation that my consolation prize will be the Evolution II with everything.

Super Congrats to everyone who gets this Hubba Bubba Mac Daddy fabulous new machine! Please post many photos!

Offline jem

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 02:46:19 AM »
Why oh why did Babylock do this?  Now more sleepless nights pondering what to do. I was considering trading in my machines and upgrading to the bernina 780. Now I'm thinking maybe I will keep my machines and upgrade the serger. I don't know why I get so obsessed with embroidery I hardly ever do it. I do have the 640 e. and the 710. That wide harp really appeals to me. I do enjoy embellishing and this might be more useful then an embroidery machine .Yikes!  What to do. Maybe just hold onto my money.

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
I need to get a new serger, or will as my Viking 936 has already been in repairs a few times. I've looked at Babylock but they have been out of my price range. Maybe if some get traded in for the new Ovation I'll be able to get one with air threading, and a separate coverstitch machine.

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
Ah jem, if you do get well into embroidery you're going to want two machines anyway so you can sew and embroider simultaneously! The 640's a winner for occasional embroidery! (Love mine). Denise, bet you could find a great deal on a previously loved Evolution, we've gotten many in new condition in trade from good customers with Ovation fever!
Karen

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics