Author Topic: Chicago fabric stores  (Read 10585 times)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Chicago fabric stores
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
Penny, you just haul the rolls to the cutting table and they will put a paper or cloth over your selections until you are finished shopping the store and are ready to make your purchases.  They are really very nice there. 

Also, Fishman's Fabrics is just around the corner (on Des Plaines as I recall) from Vogue.  You might want to peek in there if you have the time.

At that Vogue store, you pay for your purchases all at once right there at the cutting table.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:24:50 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Penny B

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Thank you Kathryn.  I should have mentioned that I will be with a bus load of shoppers. 

When we go to the Roosevelt Rd Vogue, we have the option of also going to Fishman's and Rainbow.  I'm not sure how much time we will have there.  I thought I would go to Vogue first, then Fishman's, and if there was any time left then try Rainbow. 

Also, we are stopping at Quiltology on N Halsted St.  I thought I might take a short walk to see if there were any other interesting stores a block or two from that store. 

This is my first trip to Chicago and I'm so excited.   :grinning:

Penny

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
At the one on Roosevelt, I just made a pile at an end of a cutting counter. I made eye contact with a cutter, said, I'm dropping these here, I'll be back with more, he nodded and I continued to add to the pile. They're not going to complain about you having a big order to cut ;D
Maureen
mosewz

Offline makeupmaven

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
Penny,
Whe I have been at Vogue there are always several strong young men to carry your chosen bolts to the cutting table.  You might have to ask for help but they have always been willing and with a smile, so unusual in theses times!  Happy Shopping.
Gail

Offline Penny B

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 04:19:49 AM »
Kathryn, Maureen, and Gail

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice.  I had a great time at Vogue in Evanston.  I bought a bag full of fabric from the designer room and another in the bargain room.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the other stores.  I really hope I can go back some day.

Penny

Offline Gaileen

Fabric Shopping in Chicago?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »
I will be in Chicago for a few days in July, and may have an opportunity to do some garment fabric shopping while I am there (downtown).  Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Gaileen

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Gaileen, I merged your topic with one already in progress. Hopefully you'll get some updated information from the responses that will follow.

Kathryn

Offline Gaileen

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »
Thank you!

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
Gaileen -

Everyone knows about Vogue and Fishman's.  Both are not what they used to be, unfortunately, but still worth a visit.  But if you are looking for something fun and unusual, then you shouldn't miss the following:

Soutache - 2125 N. Damen Ave - 773-292-9110
The Needle Shop - 2054 W. Charleston - (around the corner from Soutache)
Supreme Novelty Fabrics - 2156 W. Fulton - 312-226-1030

Enjoy your visit to our beautiful city.  I hope the weather cools down a bit before you arrive. 

Offline makeupmaven

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
Does anyone know if Chicago Fabrics is still open?

Only a few miles from Vogue on Roosevelt is an outlet Called LZ outlet, at 2121 W 21 st Street.  Note closes at 2 on Friday, closed Saturday, open Sunday.

Depending on your outlook and needs, could be a giant treasure trove or a colossal garbage pit. 3-4 floors of fabrics of all kind, linen, knits, wool, home dec, and my favorite, trims, tons of them at great prices.  I would allow 2-3 hours for a first trip to look at everything.  If your time is shorter, tell the lady just inside the door what you came for and she will direct you to the appropriate area.

Gail

Offline dscheidt

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
Does anyone know if Chicago Fabrics is still open?

It is, though it's moved.  S. Wabash, within a block of the adams/wabash 'L' stop.  I haven't been in to the new location. 

Offline Alessandra

• Madeleines, don't get me started
    • Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
I live in Chicago.  Fishman's and the satellite Vogue on Roosevelt Road are both a lot of fun, although they have gotten leaner, probably the economy.

A piece of touristy trivia.  Fishman's and Vogue are one block southwest of the site on DeKoven Street where Mrs. O'Leary's barn started the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.  The fire department now has a training division at that address, a piece of deliberate memorializing, I'm sure.  If you stand at that point and look northeast to the lake, that's how big the fire got, all the way to the lake.

If you can get to Evanston, the Vogue Fabrics there is huge and really good.

Chicago Fabrics was still around last I looked, but um, it is unreliable.  A lot of the fabric is just heaped around and it is pretty random quality and the proprietor is pretty random too.  Rumor is that the prices are also random, depending on how pretty you are and the mood of the proprietor.  If you're adventurous, it may be worth a try, but it's not to my taste.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:25:52 PM by Alessandra »
Good clothes open all doors.
--Thomas Fuller

My blog: Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite

Offline Gaileen

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and advice.  I am really looking forward to visiting Chicago! 
Cheers,
Gaileen

Offline makeupmaven

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Gaileen,
Please report back to us on your shopping experience.
Have fun,
Gail

Offline Gaileen

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »
We had a fabulous time in Chicago, but no time for fabric shopping!  I met a man from France on the Red line coming back from a White Sox game (very exciting game) and he said Chicago is his favorite American city.  I  would love to visit again.  We saw the Shedd Aquarium (first time to see Beluga whales), the Field Museum (all you want to know about Ghengis Khan), the Sears tower, the Hancock tower, the architecture cruise, Millenium Park, and the Art Institute (Marc Chagall blue windows took my breath away).  We had the most amazing steaks at the Rosebud Steak house across the street from our hotel.  I didn't go fabric shopping, but went to Hanig's shoes instead (!!!).  Great, great time. 

Offline laurasj

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
I bought the fabric for my wedding dress (20+ years ago) at a tiny, packed, fabric store right by the Sears Tower--wonder if it is still there...you could have made a quick stop to get fabric there.  I lived in southern Indiana at the time and made a special trip to purchase the raw sil and embroidered lace. The pearl buttons I bought there were marked "Made in Occupied Japan."

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics