Author Topic: Silhouette patterns  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Elona

Silhouette patterns
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »
She has new patterns up at http://www.silhouettepatterns.com  and it looks as though she's finally bringing in those shoulders a little, at least on several of the designs.  But gee, the drawings/illustrations on the new patterns are certainly minimal.

Offline rebells

Re: Silhouette patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:50:48 PM »
The drawings on all the patterns are minimal, they always have been.  Peggy Sagers was the guest host last week on TheCreativeMachine list.  Her description of how her pants are drafted sounded interesting.

Has anyone made any of her pants patterns?  What did you think?

One of her new pant patterns, knits only, is designed to be 2 inches below the waist.  With my shape, if I wore something 2 inches below my waist they'd fall off!    :heart: 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:55:51 PM by rebells »

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »
I have some of her patterns but haven't made them up. Frankly, I think they're rather boring. :nap: I like Peggy, but I just don't see anything interesting or unique in her patterns.

Offline J Culshaw

• Julie Culshaw
    • The Beauty of a Stitch
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:14:19 AM »
I think that, like many patterns,  the fabric makes all the difference.   Peggy had a video on her site about a year ago  (it is gone now)  - it was a fashion show of all her patterns.  I had to take notes because i ddin't recognize what any of them were.  She had changed patterns, blouses that had sleeves were made sleeveless,  a jacket was turned into a dress,   some patterns were shortened and altered in ways that made them look quite different. 
I wish she had kept the video on her site because it was very useful.  It also made me want to sew up about 20 of the patterns.

I have made her pants,  at first I struggled with the sizing. I figured I was closer to a 16W but when that turned out to be huge.  So I made the 16 normal size and altered the waist  (which I always have to do) and got a really nice comfortable fit.  In fact, one of the nicest pants I have made.     Unfortunately, the fabric shrunk more with washing and the pants ended up too short to be wearable.     I only wore them for casual and really should get round to making another pair or two.    They had front pleats but there was very little fullness in the front of the pants, as so often happens with pleated pants.   

I have also made her Classic Blouse #600 in a rayon batik and love it.   I made it in a crisp cotton and hated it.  It was not comfortable, the rayon one is great.    Fabric makes such  a difference.

I made the No Gap Wrap and loved it too.   I made that in cotton and got great fit right out of the envelope with no alterations.    But again, the fabric is important, it would have been much nicer in a  soft drapey fabric like rayon or silk.   

I keep meaning to make up more of her patterns, but just haven't had the time.    Of the three I have tried,  I have been happy with all.   
A word of warning though,  you can't assume you are the same size in different patterns.   I cut the size that gives me the amount of ease I am comfortable with.   So in the Classic Blouse,  I cut size 6W and in the No Gap Wrap, I cut 5W.     I know that I like 3-4" ease at the bust,  so I choose the size according to that.    Not the same size for each pattern, as you would think.   

I do wish the sizing was more consistent, if you compare the patterns, you will see the chart varies from pattern to pattern.   I dont' see why it can't be the same, but it isn't.  You just have to be forewarned, I guess.

By the way, the last Threads showed Becky's Blouse made up in leather.   You would never know it was that pattern if you went by the pattern picture or line drawings.   They are deceptively simple.    Julie

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 12:59:11 AM »
i have made her one of her pants pattern like it but like one seam pants a lot better if i puting in elastic in the wastline i rather use that pattern from cutting line designs I have sew a lot of Peggys tops pattern just have to alter a round the tummy area because i am kind fluffy there .

Just wish she get   a little more detail in her guid sheets for some us who arent expert sewers

Alice :D
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline rebells

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:13:47 AM »
I have the 600 classic blouse and have never made it up.  Every time I get it out I worrry and stew but just can't bring myself to cut anything out!  I also have 4 of her videos which I have watched numerous times.  I followed her instructions for drafting a pair of pants but never made them.  What I need is one of her week long workshops where she fits the patterns to you and you go home with a start on a good wardrobe. 

In the discussion last week she described her pants as having a longer crotch depth and shorter crotch length which would eliminate the excess fabric under the rear.  After you found the right size, did you notice any difference in how the back of the leg fit?

Offline J Culshaw

• Julie Culshaw
    • The Beauty of a Stitch
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:13:29 PM »
Actually,  the back of the legs on her pants are what make those pants so nice for me.   They don't feel baggy like most pants do.  I have a flat seat so this is a problem with every pattern.  Peggy's was definitely better than other patterns for that.     

Do try the Classic Blouse.  Choose a soft fabric, it goes together so fast,  I always get compliments on it when I wear it. I think it helps that is a bright red batik rayon.  You can't see how it fits here, but I am wearing it in this photo.   It is definitely a favourie, I plan on making it again, but will only use soft soft fabrics for it.   Julie

http://www.timmelfabrics.com/grandma&benjy.jpg

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
Cute baby, Julie.

Offline rebells

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
Very cute baby...and I like the blouse , too. 

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »
Has anyone seen her DVDs?  If so, are they worth investing in?  I saw Peggy about ten years ago when I was really into tailoring and loved her.  I enjoyed her shortcuts and really learned a lot from her. 

How is the production on the DVDs?  I still have the video I purchased years ago and the production wasn't that great. 

Cassie

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:44:25 AM »
I bought the full set of her DVDs at the Atlanta Expo.  I've only watched one (a repeat of the seminar she gave, that way I didn't have to take notes, haha).  I have started to watch the one on fitting muslins.  The problem is, I watch the DVDs while I sew.  I notice that I look up and have missed 15 minutes of critical instruction.  That's the reason I bought the DVDs.  My thinking is this will all sink into my subconcious if I watch them several times.  It's funny that I also don't particularly get inspired by her patterns but think she is the best teacher!  I hope to take her four day seminar in Atlanta next January if my life works out...

Offline rebells

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 04:07:52 AM »
I own four of her films, I think.  I have the flat pattern, pants, industry shortcuts I, and the fitting muslins.  She packs a lot of information into each one.  You need to overlook the production mistakes on her early films, they in no way detract from the information she presents.  The last one I bought was fitting muslins.  It is very well done.  I especially like seeing the folds and wrinkles on real bodies then seeing what to do to get rid of them.  The only disappointment is that there is no way to go directly to a scene.  You either fast forward or rewind to get to the scene you want.

Offline Portia

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 01:17:28 PM »
For my own use only, I transferred the VHS to DVD using Dazzle DVD Recorder.  This way I can go backwards and forwards easily.  VHS tapes are a real pain when you are really trying to get something.  I agree, she is an excellent teacher.  I have five of her tapes.

Offline RobbieJo

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »
I was never impressed by the pattern envelopes.  But after seeing her patterns made up at the Atlanta Expo--I bought one to try.  The pictures on the envelopes just don't do them justice.  She is a fabulous teacher, explains the point until everyone understands.  I finally understand crotch length and crotch depth now.

menelson55

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:12 PM »
I have all of Peggy's videos -- she is a very good teacher, and a real favorite here at the ASG in Minnesota.  My favorite videos of hers are "Success from the Start" which is her latest, and "Achieving Great Fit Through Muslins" where she demonstrates over and over the concept of draping on the body.  Success from the Start covers the concept of fit, using the french curve, and using your current clothing to help you alter patterns to suit you. 

I'm very seldom impressed by pattern envelopes from anyone -- it's the line drawings that tell you what you need.  Many sewers find her concept of choosing a size difficult, but she does the same thing Nancy Erickson says to do -- measure your clothing, not your body.  I've done that with a skirt I have that I like and found it to match up very well with her skirt pattern.  Measuring your clothes is a useful exercise no matter what pattern line you use.  Like Peggy says, you may know your shoulder measure 5 inches, but if you increase the neckline to make it bigger, how do you account for your shoulder?  Better to measure clothing that fits and make sure you haven't made your shoulder bigger if your neckline is bigger and then your shoulder seam is suddenly hanging off your shoulders?  Been there, done that.

Offline Terri K

• Asheville NC USA
    • Sew Terri
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »
I checked these out after reading all your posts.   Her website has 1" shoulder pads that seam a bit large for today's styles.   Is that what is recommended for her jackets?    I like the classic Janie's Jacket - a blank canvas for lots of trim and pocket possibilities.
Terri K

Link to my blog Sew Terri

My Flickr Photos

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics