Author Topic: Style Arc Patterns 5  (Read 59349 times)

Offline santarosie

Re: Style Arc Patterns 5
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
Anne, your Style Arc wardrobe is stunning!  I find your detailed pattern alteration info interesting even though I don't make the same changes.  Question:  what method do you use to increase the crotchpoint width -- do you extend the crotchpoints or do you slash and spread?

Carol

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
Anne, your Style Arc wardrobe is stunning!  I find your detailed pattern alteration info interesting even though I don't make the same changes. 

Carol

I double dog ditto that! Great job, Anne. I really enjoy seeing each new creation and your 'blog posts are so nice and informative.

I just got my order of Style Arc patterns a week or so ago so now there's no excuse to start sewing them, even though I'll always be eating your dust, er, lint, Anne when it comes to speedily sewing up Style Arc patterns. :)

Kathryn

Offline mudcat

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
I can't decide if I like the August freebie.  I sew almost exclusively with knits and strangely I own only one non-knit top at the moment.  I keep putting off placing an order because I haven't been enthusiastic about the freebies for months now.  Plus I've lost about 10 lbs over the last couple of months and have another 5-10 to go so I'm sure I'll need to go down a size.   But, I really want the Darcy, April & Barb's pants.  ::)

Offline swansewer

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »
I will jump in here, although I am a quiet or new member.  Chloe is so helpful.  She has substituted the current freebie with one offered in the past, or a pattern at a similar price point for me....

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
I tried to place an order three different times on 7/31 and each time it continually took me back to the billing info page.  I entered the info three times without success.  Emailed Chloe yesterday and will hopefully find out what went wrong.
Deb

Living in Northwest Missouri

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline KathleenB

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
BJ, thanks for the heads up on the Creative Cate or Cate's Cousin.  I want to order one or the other, so now I think I'll order Cate's Cousin and modify for short sleeves. 

Offline windsong

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »
I tried to place an order three different times on 7/31 and each time it continually took me back to the billing info page.  I entered the info three times without success.  Emailed Chloe yesterday and will hopefully find out what went wrong.

Do you happen to have Chloe's email address? I'd like to send her an email to find out what size to buy because I am in between two sizes.

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
windsong,  this is the email address from the bottom of her site, enquiries@stylearc.com.au   I have not gotten a reply yet but I am sure she /someone will answer.  HOH
Deb

Offline windsong

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
windsong,  this is the email address from the bottom of her site, enquiries@stylearc.com.au   I have not gotten a reply yet but I am sure she /someone will answer.  HOH

Thanks so much, Deb. I will write to her now. :)

Offline Celia

• UK
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
I keep looking at all the lovely style arc things you are all making and being tempted, I am very nervous of the one size though as when using stretch fabrics I sometimes have to alter which size just due to the fabric.  I use Jalie patterns a lot and love the fit of these, how do the two companies compare?  I just wish Jalie would bring out more designs.

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
I keep looking at all the lovely style arc things you are all making and being tempted, I am very nervous of the one size though as when using stretch fabrics I sometimes have to alter which size just due to the fabric.  I use Jalie patterns a lot and love the fit of these, how do the two companies compare?  I just wish Jalie would bring out more designs.

She sent me a grading sheet when I asked about sizing up on a pattern.  That way, you know how much to go up/down in a certain area.
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline clothingengineer

• Clothing Engineer
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »

They're very similar though I feel like Style Arc drafts for a curvier (ie smaller waisted) figure than Jalie does. Unlike Jalie not all Style Arc knit patterns need a really stretchy knit. The clue to look for is "knit with stretch" or "knit with a stretch component" - that means it is probably close fitting and needs a stretchy lycra knit. But if it just says "jersey" you can probably get away with something with just mechanical stretch.

Offline clothingengineer

• Clothing Engineer
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Anne, your Style Arc wardrobe is stunning!  I find your detailed pattern alteration info interesting even though I don't make the same changes.  Question:  what method do you use to increase the crotchpoint width -- do you extend the crotchpoints or do you slash and spread?

Carol

I do it rather informally ;). First I make a mark next to the end of the crotch curve "hook" indicating where the new endpoint should be. Then I start around the middle of the back thigh and freehand a long line that gently tapers outward.

Offline clothingengineer

• Clothing Engineer
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
BJ, thanks for the heads up on the Creative Cate or Cate's Cousin.  I want to order one or the other, so now I think I'll order Cate's Cousin and modify for short sleeves.

The sleeves on the Cate's Cousin were cut pretty low - could not wear it without the long sleeves without my bra showing. The cowl also looked different (like not as low), and there was a lot more ease in the body. I ended up taking in the side seams, and even so it is much larger than the Creative Cate.

Here's a few photos comparing the two patterns. The Creative Cate is on top.

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
Thanks Anne. I am pondering my next order & appreciate all the helpful details you share!

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Placing an order.....do I get the Barb, Wendy or Linda?   or all 3 :smug:  Also, I am between 2 sizes do I go up or down?
Deb

Offline clothingengineer

• Clothing Engineer
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »
Placing an order.....do I get the Barb, Wendy or Linda?   or all 3 :smug:  Also, I am between 2 sizes do I go up or down?

All three! ;D

I would go up.

Offline windsong

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
I am about to order the Linda and Barb patterns, too, but I have a dilemma. I am also between two sizes and I will also need to increase the waist size. I assume I buy by the hip size and then add on to the waist.

Offline windsong

Online BeaJay

• On the Road to Sew Wear
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:59 AM »

The sleeves on the Cate's Cousin were cut pretty low - could not wear it without the long sleeves without my bra showing. The cowl also looked different (like not as low), and there was a lot more ease in the body. I ended up taking in the side seams, and even so it is much larger than the Creative Cate.

Here's a few photos comparing the two patterns. The Creative Cate is on top.

Thanks for the clarification Anne. I was working with 2 different sizes so it was difficult to see the differences. I also extended the sleeves on both the cate and the cousin to cover tuckshop arms!

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »
Thanks Anne, I will go up in size, I hope they are different enough to warrent all 3.  You are the Queen  Princess of Style Arc!  Thanks again :)
Deb

Offline KathleenB

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
Thanks Anne for the Creative Cate/Cate's Cousin review... very useful!

Offline mudcat

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »
For the pants, I would go up or down depending on your body type.  I have slender legs so would rather go down a size and add to hips/waist as necessary.

Offline Marty1112

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
I just ordered the Barb pants, Sara jacket and Nina cardigan.  Does anyone have a suggestion for the best source for elastic for the pants?  I want to make sure I use the right kind!

Offline santarosie

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
We all have our favorite elastics.  The only one I have used for several years is from thesewingplace.com and it is described as "Textile Studio, Loes Hinse".  It's available in black or white and various widths.  Funny you should ask!  Today I hit the jackpot - My elastic order and Style Arc patterns both arrived today.

Carol

Offline Barbara3

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
I've used that elastic for years too.  Another good source for it is Casual Elegance, the fabric end of the Loes Hinse pattern line.

Offline windsong

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
I wrote to Style Arc last week but have not yet received a response. How long does it usually take?

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:38 AM »
windsong,  I believe that I gave you the email address, if you used that address be assured that they will answer.  I received a reply within a few days, but they may be busy filling orders as the first of each month is a busy time for them.  They provide wonderful customer service!
Deb

Offline windsong

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
windsong,  I believe that I gave you the email address, if you used that address be assured that they will answer.  I received a reply within a few days, but they may be busy filling orders as the first of each month is a busy time for them.  They provide wonderful customer service!

Yes, indeed you did give it to me, Debbie. :)

I didn't realize the beginning of the month was a busy time for them, so I will try to be patient. :)

Offline Skye

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 04:11:19 AM »
I have usually received a reply within 24 hours. Perhaps your email was "lost"

Offline windsong

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »
I did get a response from Style Arc. :) Now to order - but what a price for postage!! Ouch!

Any idea how I can obtain a promo coupon code? That might reduce the burden of the postage.

Offline clothingengineer

• Clothing Engineer
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Style Arc doesn't seem to offer very many, if any, promo codes. If you plan on ordering from them on a somewhat regular basis the club membership does save you money.

Offline windsong

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »
Style Arc doesn't seem to offer very many, if any, promo codes. If you plan on ordering from them on a somewhat regular basis the club membership does save you money.

Thanks, Anne. No problem. I will order anyway. :)

Offline windsong

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »
I am trying to decide which of two sizes to order for the Linda pants and for the Barb pants. Have you found that when you order your size, the patterns are cut quite lean - or is there plenty of room in them?

I did write to Chloe and she said that if I like a firm fit to go with the smaller one and if I like a more generous fit, then I should go with the larger one - but I am still pondering . . .

I don't like skin tight pants but I also don't like baggy pants.

Online BeaJay

• On the Road to Sew Wear
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »
I did get a response from Style Arc. :) Now to order - but what a price for postage!! Ouch!

Any idea how I can obtain a promo coupon code? That might reduce the burden of the postage.

LOL..... I know what you mean.

We Aussies get burnt by postage all the time. Unfortunately it is the price of Worldwide business. I have purchased fabric from EmmaOneSock, Gorgeous Fabrics, Sawyer Brooks, Vogue Fabrics, Denver fabrics and it costs an arm and a leg to get the fabric down under..... Strangely enough Fabric.com is not as expensive.. maybe it is where they are situated in the US??? But with Fabric.com it still cost about $25 for my average order and I have paid almost $100 with some of the others at times. With the patterns, it is rarely less than $20 for postage as you have to buy a few to justify the postage.

And yet - I still buy a lot from overseas as the actual cost of the patterns is so expensive here (about $18 - $25 each for Butterick etc and about $30 for Vogues)  .... let's not get started on fabric. I would love to buy more fabric from OS ---- see drool marks on my laptop all the time ---- but can't afford the postage.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics