Author Topic: Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?  (Read 487 times)

Offline FabricNut

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
I had a 10 year old Designer I with floppy that I absolutely loved.  It was not working very well, so my hubby offered to drop it off for servicing.  I expected the circuit board to be bad.  To my surprised my hubby came home with the new Ruby.  I was very unhappy.  I told him I compared it to me selling his beloved 30 year old car.  My Designer I (I named her Debby) did indeed have a bad circuit board and some other ailments.  He was quoted $1200 for repair or $1000 for trade in.  It took me forever to master Debby.  I went to a TON of classes to use her fully.  Not to mention I have a bazillion accessories for her.  So I cranked up "Ruby".  I found her to not be as smooth running as Debby.  Maybe it's the vast amount of plastic on her that is vibrating, I am not sure.  It appears Ruby functions very similarly to Debby with the exception of no floppies to deal with.  That wasn't a major concern for me.  So I have 48 hours to decide whether to keep Ruby or rescue Debby.  Has anyone done a trade up for a Ruby? Do you think the newer machine is worth the price over repairing a 10 year old machine?  I fully expected to keep Debby for some time and maybe I am just unwilling to let go of a trusted 10 year old friend.

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
Re: Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
I have never owned either machine, but I would say it is like an old car (as you said.)  After a while, you can't get parts or find anyone to work on them.  Old/ancient Singers are the obvious exception, but a ten year old Husq that is starting to have problems like circuit boards is going to rapidly become a specialty item with respect to repairs.  Your DH is a gem, and I would love to hear you gave him some strokes for doing such a nice thing, when so many would have come home with a dead machine!

There are several Ruby owners here, but you may not find them on the machine embroidery thread.  If you don't mind, given your time constraints, I am going to flag one of the mods to move this to the machines area.  K

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
Ooops, sorry.  I now see you've also posted in the Ruby thread and gotten some responses.  Never mind mods...  K

Offline Linda Warner

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
Yup I know how you feel.  I had a Designer 1 floppy version which I had converted to USB - huge mistake!  It was never the same and after 8 years my better half traded it in as a surprise on the Diamond Deluxe (I think he was fed up with my moans).  Having now just completed, somewhat later than anticipated, my free training session, I can't wait to keep sewing.  I have also just retired and have all these wonderful ideas .... will I have enough time?  Keep on with the Ruby, they get fantastic reports.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics