Author Topic: Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?  (Read 772 times)

Offline FabricNut

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
I had a 10 year old Designer I with floppy that I absolutely loved.  It was not working very well, so my hubby offered to drop it off for servicing.  I expected the circuit board to be bad.  To my surprised my hubby came home with the new Ruby.  I was very unhappy.  I told him I compared it to me selling his beloved 30 year old car.  My Designer I (I named her Debby) did indeed have a bad circuit board and some other ailments.  He was quoted $1200 for repair or $1000 for trade in.  It took me forever to master Debby.  I went to a TON of classes to use her fully.  Not to mention I have a bazillion accessories for her.  So I cranked up "Ruby".  I found her to not be as smooth running as Debby.  Maybe it's the vast amount of plastic on her that is vibrating, I am not sure.  It appears Ruby functions very similarly to Debby with the exception of no floppies to deal with.  That wasn't a major concern for me.  So I have 48 hours to decide whether to keep Ruby or rescue Debby.  Has anyone done a trade up for a Ruby? Do you think the newer machine is worth the price over repairing a 10 year old machine?  I fully expected to keep Debby for some time and maybe I am just unwilling to let go of a trusted 10 year old friend.

Offline karent

• Gulf Coast Florida USA
    • ACorgiHouse
Re: Old Designer I or New Ruby - what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
I have never owned either machine, but I would say it is like an old car (as you said.)  After a while, you can't get parts or find anyone to work on them.  Old/ancient Singers are the obvious exception, but a ten year old Husq that is starting to have problems like circuit boards is going to rapidly become a specialty item with respect to repairs.  Your DH is a gem, and I would love to hear you gave him some strokes for doing such a nice thing, when so many would have come home with a dead machine!

There are several Ruby owners here, but you may not find them on the machine embroidery thread.  If you don't mind, given your time constraints, I am going to flag one of the mods to move this to the machines area.  K

Offline karent

• Gulf Coast Florida USA
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
Ooops, sorry.  I now see you've also posted in the Ruby thread and gotten some responses.  Never mind mods...  K

Offline Linda Warner

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
Yup I know how you feel.  I had a Designer 1 floppy version which I had converted to USB - huge mistake!  It was never the same and after 8 years my better half traded it in as a surprise on the Diamond Deluxe (I think he was fed up with my moans).  Having now just completed, somewhat later than anticipated, my free training session, I can't wait to keep sewing.  I have also just retired and have all these wonderful ideas .... will I have enough time?  Keep on with the Ruby, they get fantastic reports.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Cutting Line Designs Patterns
The Smuggler's Daughter Fabric Buttons Patterns Style Arc Sewing Patterns Sailrite Home Sewing Catalog
Sewing Made Easy with the Lutterloh System Thread Theory Advertise on SG! It's Easy!