Author Topic: Can you dye ecru lace white?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline daisy

Can you dye ecru lace white?
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
I ordered some french cotton lace from the Martha Pullen site and it came yesterday but it is ecru!  I need white.  I was sure I ordered white but then I also got 5 yards of a picot edging which came as white with navy blue picots and navy blue dots on it!  I was sure I didn't order that!  But I looked back in my confirmation email and sure enough, it said navy blue.  I don't know why I keep making these dumb mistakes while ordering online.  Not sure if it's me or them.  At any rate, I need a white lace to finish my smocked bishop dress.  Is there anything I can do to make this white??  I don't really want to bleach it because it might ruin it and I'm not sure that would work anyway.  Is there such a thing as a white dye?  The lace is 100% cotton.

Zalin

Re: Can you dye ecru lace white?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
Hopefully someone can respond to the dying question. I was wondering if you could return it or exchange it for what you want.

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
There is white fabric paint, but not dye.  So, you might try calling the company to see if they will do an exchange. 

Offline daisy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
I might be able to but it's only 2 yards at 3.60/yard.  It's probably not worth the postage to send back.

I took a screen shot of the lace I ordered.  It doesn't specify that it's white but it sure looks white to me.  I don't think it's entirely honest to list it this way. 

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Daisy
You might at least lodge a complaint or criticism.  They'll never get better with descriptions unless we let them know.

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
I would definitely lodge a complaint with SB.

Whatever you do, don't bleach it. That will ruin it forever and cause rot. I would try soaking it in Biz. That's the best I can offer. It may take a few days.

Offline karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
At the very least, contact them and tell them it appeared white in the photo and that, given there was no color description, you had no reason to think it wasn't white.  Ask to make the exchange, they may pay for the postage for the return, and I would think that the weight of two yards is small enough the postage would be very little anyway. 

Like Bunny says, bleaching will affect the fibers and you don't know what you will end up with.  If it changes the color to white, it will likely not be uniform.  You could try the Biz (as Bunny suggested) or a long soak in one of the color removers, or you could just chalk it up to a learning experience and save for another project.  Certainly, I think we all appreciate knowing about things like this, as it helps us have the same problems.  Not giving a color description is really not justifiable, in these days where so many businesses depend on mail order for the bulk of their business.  Hope it works out.  K

Offline andib

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
I just took a look at their web site....it is not a very user friendly store front when it comes to fabric.  I wouldn't bleach it, but I would call them and ask.  If they are helpful, great, if not, maybe you can find another project to use it with?

Offline Mardella

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Call them.  Their service reps are very nice people.   They will make sure that you are happy.
Mardella

Offline daisy

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
Well I was just going to live with the mistake but you all convinced me to call them.  I called Customer Service but when I described my problem, she said that had to go through another lady.  And she was on the phone but she would call me right back.  She didn't.  I'll have to call again on Monday. <Sigh>

Zalin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »
Well, see, that would annoy me and now I would be sure to expect a return refund or something. I also would not order from them again. I have high expectations and little patience for stuff like that.

Offline daisy

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »
I'm with you Zalin.  I'm trying real hard to be patient and nice.  Trouble is, I ordered from this company before and I had a bad experience.  It took one month to receive my order!  I called and the lady just was exasperated that I would call and wonder where my order was.  She said they had been very busy since they had a big sale and got alot of orders.  The order came  a couple of days after I called.  I suspect that the order got lost and she must have just 'found' it.  But I don't know that for sure, so I was holding out my judgment.  I love Martha Pullen and I'm so reluctant to give up on her site but I think it might have suffered when she sold it to F&W Media. I don't think this is a reflection on her but rather that media company.  The website is very tedious to navigate through.  They have a huge sale but you have to scroll through 500 pages (I'm exaggerating) before you can see everything on sale.  I really hate to be so petty as to return 2 yards of lace that didn't come as expected but really, they need to fix the way they do business.  But honestly, it does make me try to avoid ordering from this site again. 

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Daisy, this entire episode sounds oh so frustrating, and I'm sorry you are having such a rough time.Also, thank you so much for the warning about the website-who wants or needs to wait a month for anything when needed for a sewing project!

As for the lace, if this were my problem, and I knew I needed white and I had no upcoming plans requiring ecru, I would not hesitate to use bleach. Like so many things in modern life, bleach is one of those things that due to overuse, abuse and high dollar marketing ploys, it has received a "bad rap". Yes, bleach can and will eat through stainless steel-if its misused! But in this instance you will only be bleaching once or twice at most. The following recipe will explain how potent bleach is.

To disinfect a kitchen worksurface (like stainless steel), take a 1qt spray bottle, add 1 tablespoon of liquid beach, swirl the beach around in the bottle to coat the inside,dump out excess bleach and fill the bottle with water. Use to wipe down the surface
-Tina

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
Ugh..I'm using my phone and the screen got stuck! Sorry.

Anyway, I would use approximately 1tablespoon bleach in a quart of warm water and go for it. No need to leave it to soak, and I would repeat the process until I received the desired results.Rinse the lace thoroughly when finished with the realization it may not get to be a true white.

Bleach simply needs to be used appropriately. Others "whiteners" have been formulated to leave commercial dyes alone. I would expect them to leave the lace yellow.

Of course I would snip off an inch to experiment first.
-Tina

Offline MaryOK

• No More Twist!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
I am so interested in this topic, because I am going the other direction - dying my 30-yo white wedding dress lace ecru, with coffee! 

Bleach is scary, but assuming your project is not intended to last for the ages, and your investment in it appears to be less than $20 or so, I say go for it.  You could also try dye removers (like RIT) but my experience with them is that they leave the fabric greyish but ready to dye another color. 

But I think you should definitely lodge a complaint with the company.  Bravo for your adventurous spirit -- it sounds like you have worked out a plan. 

If it doesn't come out completely like you want it, you might consider it a design challenge.  I love the look of different whites mixed together.

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 02:53:34 AM »
I would not use bleach. Bleach can never be fully washed out and this is heirloom clothing, not something that will be tossed with the next season.  If it is used bleach  needs to be neutralized with something like a vinegar bath or a commercial preparation. I learned all this the hard way. You can use peroxide. It will rinse out and won't harm your fabrics so I would recommend trying that if the other options don't work.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics