Author Topic: A doll for my sister .. sssshhhh its a secret! FINISHED!!!  (Read 2947 times)

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
A doll for my sister .. sssshhhh its a secret! FINISHED!!!
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »
This will be an ongoing topic, as I slowly work through the process of having a doll restored, and then clothing it.  Because its a surprise, I can't broadcast the process .... so I am looking forward to telling you guys.

The doll is my sister's, something from her childhood, that has survived the many family dislocations, and house moves that happened through her childhood.  Like most childhood toys, this poor doll has suffered for her art.  Bald, naked, face and eyes coloured with texta, and cloth body perishing and the stuffing settled down.  Mum found the doll at the bottom of a box, thinking I could just make it some new clothes and it would be fine.  But she is very fragile, so needs more than a cursory bit of attention. 

I just went looking, but the photo I thought was in an easy to find directory ... is not so easy to find.  Still, the doll is at the doll hospital, so I will post a shot when she is back, and then I will go through my process of getting her clothed.  I am really looking forward to it. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:07:08 AM by datcat23 »
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: A doll for my sister ....... sssshhhh its a secret!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
What a nice thing to do.  Look forward to following your adventures.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »
Well its been a while, but while I am recuperating, I have been devoting little bits of time to this doll.  She has returned from Doll Hospital with a brand new calico cloth body.  Her bum could probably have received a little more stuffing and her hands aren't perfectly straight, but then they weren't straight before so I figure its all relative.  As expected they couldn't do a lot for her face, with 20 year old colouring in pen obviously more stubborn than they expected.  So she still has a little of the "zombie eye" thing going, but not too bad.  I am glad they left the pen on the fingernails, as it doesn't look too bad, and it was part of my sister's playing.

Repaired doll by Datcat, on Flickr

And so to start on clothing this doll.  Originally this doll had a striped t-shirt and jeans, and my sister is anything but girly, so really I need to create a non-frilly wardrobe.  This is my first muslin.  the pattern was set up as a wide boaty, elastic necked blouse, but since the cloth body is attached to the head at the neck, it needs a higher collar.  this is pinned up tighter so I need to take another inch or so off the collar and then it will be just right.  Eventually it will be closed with a plastic snap.  The elastic on the wrists works fine, so I am thinking I might use my overlocker to roll-edge hem the sleeves and hemline. 

Muslin of blouse by Datcat, on Flickr

Next is a pair of jeans ....... should be interesting. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:39:08 AM by datcat23 »
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Hey...I thought you were recovering from major surgery! Take care of yourself and don't overdo. (Let's just say I've been there...abdominal surgery takes longer than you think, because the outside looks better, but the insides haven't healed yet.)

Enough lecture...

The doll is very cute! Glad she is also out of the hospital and getting fitted out with a stylish new wardrobe. Both of you will be up and around again in no time!

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:35:37 AM »
Well we are at the next stage.  Her top is now done.  The fabric is a scrap of left over Japanese Lawn that I made into a top for myself last year.  Ironically, the doll's top and the one I made myself are very similar in style. I really love it, and its sweet and feminine without being overly girly.   The sleeves and hem are roll-edge hemmed on my overlocker, and I really think the finish is far better than attempting to fold and topstitch. 

completed top by Datcat, on Flickr

So next ... jeans. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:43:46 AM by datcat23 »

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
What a labor of love this is.  I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »
I was at a loss today at what to do, so decided to tackle these pants.  Boy ..... was it a marathon!  I am working with a pattern I found online (sorry can't remember the url) for clothing for ball jointed dolls.  The intricacy in these patterns is astonishing.  I scaled up the pattern significantly, but even still, the detail in these jeans is astonishing.  I am eliminating a lot, including the tiny tiny little fly, reasoning that the doll is soft bodied unlike a BJD, and as such, won't need an opening on the pants to get them on.  I do plan to pretty up the front pocket area, and will still do all the topstitching.  I am still undecided if I will put pockets on the back, but I will be dealing with a 1 inch square piece of fabric if I do .... not something I am sure about.  I was going to do these out of denim, but given the detail, I am thinking a denim coloured homespun would be a better option.

A shot of the full length, please ignore the dodgy waistband......  (the scaling on the pattern means that the whole thing is quite challenging)

Muslin of pants by Datcat, on Flickr

A shot of the back detailing ...... remembering this doll is only 3 inches wide across the back waist.

back detailing by Datcat, on Flickr

I plan to go shopping tomorrow, and then I can get cracking on the jeans.  Then all I need are shoes, and she is all done.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
Re: A doll for my sister .. sssshhhh its a secret! FINISHED!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »
Hey guys .......  Just thought I would say .......... IIIII'mmmmm FINISHED!!!!

My little excursion into doll clothes making is at an end, and I am quite pleased about that.  I can't remember doing anything so picky and firnarkling in my life.   I went shopping this morning and decided on a piece of quilting cotton that looks a bit like stonewash denim.  All the topstitching is in light blue ..... I am hoping that the result is something that resembles a pair of jeans.

So ..... The pattern I found had a tiny little fly etc, but I left that out, opting for a pretend fly.  It was also supposed to have a set of lined pockets, but I didn't feel the need for those either.  The jeans are skinny leg flares, perfect for my sister's skinny doll.

Jeans Front by Datcat, on Flickr

I did however, maintain the back pockets, complete with topstitching.  I cut the waistband on the bias, and had it a tiny bit smaller than the pants, so it pulls in just a tiny bit. 

Jeans Back by Datcat, on Flickr

And here is the completed doll.  I decided not to tackle shoes, figuring that my sister can source those herself.  Really this is a keepsake and childhood memory, rather than a toy for a child, so I think shoes aren't really a concern.  I have really enjoyed putting this together, but I don't think I will be in a hurry to do it again.

Complete outfit by Datcat, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:40:06 AM by datcat23 »

Offline Annette

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
Congratulations datcat on a great finished doll and outfit - you've got more patience than me  :laugh:
Annette

Online BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Very cute, Dani! What a pretty face and lovely outfit

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Hey guys .......  Just thought I would say .......... IIIII'mmmmm FINISHED!!!!

:applause2:     They are gorgeous! 

Offline laurasj

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
Cure! Looking forward to hearing your sister's reaction!

edit:
Oops...that should be "cute"...though maybe the distraction of this project help cure the pain from your surgery?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:38:36 PM by laurasj »

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 02:19:32 AM »
Adorable!
Lynn

Offline Ann

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
Perfect in all ways. I am sure your sister is going to cherish this doll.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
What a wonderful sister you are!  Those jeans are ah-mazing.  I can't believe the top-stitching on those back pockets.  Very impressive!

Offline Marysewfun

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
Absolutely darling, and I admire your patience and accuracy.  Great job! ;)

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »
Here is a message from my sister .... I love it ... it was a treasured and loved doll named Annie. I toted her everywhere I went. Her hair... I can't remember if I cut it off (I went thru a phase of doing that to all my dolls) or if it simply disintegrated over time.

Sis showed our mother, commenting that I had made the clothes. My mother's response was an offhand "well of course she made the clothes, it couldn't have been anyone else". My mother has supreme faith in my sewing abilities, and takes great delight in showing them off to others, although she would never dream of complimenting me to my face .... strange woman she is.

But .... the doll is done, so no need to be secretive about it anymore. Sis thinks thats the only secret sewing project I have, but she will be getting the quilt in the mail for N#2 next week. LOL .... I may just get better at this secret squirrel stuff.

Offline Jewels

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
You did an awesome job!
Julie

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »
For the ones that wanted to know, I found the url for the dolls clothes:

http://aimeemajor.com/dolls/patterns/james/

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »
Absolutely darling!

Offline SewAndSew

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
Sorry to comment so much later than everyone else - but what a beautiful thing you did for your sister. You have a heart of gold, I think. Your work turned out so very very nicely! Congratulations on a job well done - and sounds like well appreciated too.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
I don't mind how late a comment is SewAndSew ..... thank you very much.  It was a challenge for sure, and very worrying at time (sending the doll in the mail) as I was aware that this was a rare piece of her childhood.  My sister and I are best friends despite a 9 year age gap, and I just adore doing anything for her.  The latest project is a quilt for her oldest child, although I have already done quilts for both her boys.   I probably should make something for my own kids, but oh well ..... they don't mind. 

Offline SarahB85

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Wow, thats inspirational, I've just started out and I hope to make a doll. You've done an awesome and I hope your sister liked it :) Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline ama

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
The outfit is so cute! Thanks for the link.

Offline Daleupton

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
I hope if you have shared a video or something like that so that  we can also get the idea how to make the doll looks great..!!!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics