Author Topic: My new old machine  (Read 601 times)

Online KathyPhDRN

My new old machine
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
 I recently acquired a #6 Singer treadle cabinet; I was interested in it for the furniture aspect, only. But, it included a machine, so, of course, I had to figure it out. The machine is a 66 (# assigned April, 1911). It has been rebuilt by Bega's, and, as a result, has no badge or original decals. The decals that are present are those identified on treadle on as "scrolled flowers", (http://www.treadleon.net/oldtreadleonia/university/museum/decals/decals.html) but they have no color. Although rebuilt, it has not been electrified. Of course, I am now more fascinated by the machine than by the cabinet. It has a very ornate face plate and back plate (circular). I hold no illusions about value, but wonder if it wouldn't be "fun" to make it look like a red-eye, if that was what it was. Thoughts?
Kathy in Jax

Offline Soupdragon

• The Material Lady
Re: My new old machine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Fabulous! I bought (very cheaply) a hand crank Singer from 1945 just before Christmas. i had fun making a shirt with it 'just because' and then had a job for a client that it was the only machine I had that would work well with the fabric.
Three cheers for the old 'uns! :purple:

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Kathy,

That's a nice clean machine and treadle base.    Were it mine I'd hunt up a badge and a set of rivets, put that on and leave it like it is.    I have two 66 red eye treadles and a head looking for a home.   Although the red eye decals are more interesting than the minimal decals on yours or my other ones, they don't sew any better.
~AND~  The reproduction red eye decal sets are very expensive at $79.95.   I wouldn't be surprised if they'd cost more than your entire treadle did.
http://www.keelersales.com/servlet/Categories?category=Decals  }

Joe
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Offline crazihippichic

• Don't just exist. LIVE!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »
Hi Kathy,

Although your 66 is missing its badge those are the original decals. This one was never a red eye. That is a lovely 7 drawer cabinet, BTW. :)
Roxi, The Sewing Bee -(II)@"

Bernina 830 Record       Kenmore 1914                             Singer 500A              
Elna Supermatic             Singer 66 Red Eye treadle         Singer 221
Kenmore 51                     Singer 28K Hand Crank             Singer 301A
Kenmore 90                     Singer 15-91                                Singer 237 treadle          German treadle               White treadle                               White "bronze"

Online KathyPhDRN

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
The decals say rebuilt Singer  (on top).  The "new" badge says Bega's parts used.

So, it has been rebuilt, but not electrified. I understand that "authorized" rebuilders were required to remove original decals and badge.  Would rebuilders be that honest today???

Kathy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:52:50 PM by KathyPhDRN »
Kathy in Jax

Online KathyPhDRN

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
Joe,

You're right...I know those decals cost more than what I paid.  I never intended to own a vintage machine...just the cabinet.  But once I got one, my interests in genealogy and history took over.  I really have no idea what I'll do!

Kathy
Kathy in Jax

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
Since it is an actual rebuilt machine and marked as such, that is part of it's history.    I'm pretty sure one of my black crinkle paint 66-18s is a rebuild, but it doesn't say so.   You can see it's a repainted machine though.

That's part of why I said to just leave it be other than replacing the badge.    Rebuilt or not, it looks kinda incomplete without it.

Joe
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics