Author Topic: what color to paint the walls?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline the OTHER Mom to 5 aka Tee

• Mama's sewing log
what color to paint the walls?
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
my son leaves for the Air Force in a few weeks...my older daughter moved back home ( and into her old bedroom which had become my sewing room when she went away to college)...  younger daughter is away at college....

Ive decided to move the girls room upstairs into my son's room. and reclaim (once again and hopefully finally) my sewing space....
its currently a salmon color....  Im supposing I need something more neutral as it wont affect how I view the colors of various fabrics..

Suggestions?

Offline KayoticSewing

• Toronto, Canada
    • Gently down the seam
Re: what color to paint the walls?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
I'd say paint it In a color that makes you happy! :)
- Kay

A beginner sewista trying to find her way ...
http://gentlydowntheseam.blogspot.com/

Offline laantigua

• La Antigua
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
I have read that blue color increases creativity. What about a light indigo?

Offline Gorgeous Things

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Gorgeous Fabrics
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
I would go with whatever color you like, and get an Ott Light or two for when you need to have color correctness. My sister gave me a floor Ott Light that I put next to my sewing machine. Now I wouldn't be without one. It's great for illuminating not only colors, but black on black stitching.

Have fun, whatever you choose!
Ann
Proud sponsor of Stitchers Guild!
My store: http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/
My blog: http://blog.gorgeousfabrics.com/

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
I second Ann's comment about the daylight lights.  They are fantastic.  I started by choosing pretty curtain fabric and painted the walls and cupboards to match the (yellow) background.  Having everything unified in colour reduced the visual clutter.  You didn't ask about storage, but I used very cheap kitchen cupboards and shelves from one of those unfinished wood outlets.

Offline Elaine G.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »
I also agree with the lighting suggestions - you cannot have too much light available, especially as your eyes age. I never used to have any difficulty seeing minute details and dark fabrics - but now ....  :-\ . When we built our house 5 years ago I knew I needed a paint colour in the sewing room that would not absorb color, but reflect it in order for me to see what I was doing, especially at night. I was going to choose a white to accomplish this, but the lady at our local paint store said that yellow is more reflective than white - and it doesn't have to be an intense yellow. I took her advice and have a barely yellow wall colour and it works very well, and is quite neutral.
I would never have known this if she had not mentioned it.

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »
I chose stark white for the walls, but the ceiling is sky blue.  It's always a  :sunny: sunny day in my sewing room.   

Offline adamc

• No Dogs on the Couch ! I mean it ! Off !
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
DW likes  a dark sage green.. She just painted her sewing/craft room that color.
( I think that white was better for light distribution, BUT it is her room)

The pictures I took of the work-in-progress does not accurately show the color.
----------------------------------------------------------
The Trouble with Doing Nothing,
Is that you can't tell if you are finished.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Adam, like a couple of others have said, paint color also has to make the person using the room happy.  I'm with your wife.  I love sage green.  I have different shades of it in my laundry room and both bathrooms.  I really love it and if that's what makes her happy and she can sew better because of that color, it's exactly the right color for her room.

If I could, I would probably paint all the rooms in my house some shade of green or gray.  The problem is finding the right shades.  Sage green is the only shade that looks right on walls to me, a nice neutral shade, but I can't seem to find the right gray.  I cannot describe it, I'd have to find it by looking at it, but I think it would be great for a sewing room.  Not anyone else's sewing room, but my own.  It would be the perfect backdrop for other colors. 
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline adamc

• No Dogs on the Couch ! I mean it ! Off !
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
Color Correction..

I'll call it Split Pea Soup color   :)

it will sound MORE expensive that way
----------------------------------------------------------
The Trouble with Doing Nothing,
Is that you can't tell if you are finished.

Offline EchoLin

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:36:46 AM »
how about pink and yellow color, i think these two color can make people happy , besiedes , they are more bright than other colors. or maybe, you can use some wall paper to decorate your wall.
the best way out is always through.

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
I'm hoping to re-do my office/ sewing room this spring and even though I know that a pale yellow or pale pink can be more condusive to color selection - I agree with Ann - use a color that you like and get a lamp for color correctness. As an interior designer, I have always felt that choosing colors by what makes you happy is more important than what is in vogue. I'm probably going to go with a medium golden beige myself as I prefer wall colors that I find calming.
-Tina

Offline AnnieDN

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
I purposely chose neutral colors in my space because I didn't want them to clash with any project I was working on. I also wanted to be sure the walls were not going to alter the colors of the items I was working on...I wanted them to be as true as possible.

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
I'm with Annie, I have increasingly tried to reduce colour and pattern in the sewing room so that the colour of the fabric takes centre stage.
I had pink and green floral curtains at one point and had to take them down and replace with ivory as it was so jarring sewing certain colours in that room.
I tend to go for ivory, cream, white, light wood etc

Offline Ann

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
I agree with Annie and Ruthie. My room has both yellow and brown in the white paint (called Oat Flour and very light) and there are times I wonder if it doesn't distort some of the colours I work with. I would paint it white but that is very cold feeling to me. True to colour but cold.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
when I moved into my current home, knowing that the spare bedroom would be a home office and sewing room, I purposely painted it in a neutral white colour.
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
I just stumbled across a web site I found a few months ago and forgot to bookmark. HOUZZ.com. For anyone that hasn't seen it...its like having never ending issues of all of the home decorating magazines combined! Just search"sewing room" and there are thousands of photos demonstrating all kinds of wall colors and storage ideas. Coolest site!
-Tina

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
I had a salmon pink sewing room and really liked it but I was just ready for a change. I've gone to a medium taupe color and really really like it. I find it soothing, more so than the salmon, and I like it's neutrality. While I never felt that salmon pink made working with any fabrics or colors more difficult, going to the neutral taupe just makes the room seem calmer and more unified, if that makes sense.

Bottom line make it whatever color you would like because if it is what you really like it will make you happy.

Offline Pina

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 06:16:24 AM »
I just stumbled across a web site I found a few months ago and forgot to bookmark. HOUZZ.com. For anyone that hasn't seen it...its like having never ending issues of all of the home decorating magazines combined! Just search"sewing room" and there are thousands of photos demonstrating all kinds of wall colors and storage ideas. Coolest site!

Tina,thanks for the neat link !  :)

Here are pages with very cheerful sewing rooms.  ;)

Offline Spring!

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 03:05:39 AM »
Oh, yes, Houzz is a major eye-candy site (and a potential black hole in terms of time)!

Just the first page is envy-inducing for me.

According to color theorists, cooler (greens, blues, purples) colors and neutrals are more calm-inducing, while warmer colors (yellows, oranges, reds and their variants such as Bunny's salmon) are stimulating. If you want to have lively dinner conversations, paint the room a cherry red. If you want to relax, go for greens and blues.

Personally, for an sewing room, I'd go with a neutral such as taupe, which Bunny chose. It won't clash with any color of fabric and you can add color with accessories.
The most enriching good habit is complimenting others.

Offline flutter-by

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »
I vote for a light neutral - I'm partial to shades of beige/cream/grey with just enough color for it to clearly be not white, if that makes any sense. That said, my room (which was painted 6+ years ago) is a light blue, originally called 'bird bath blue.' I moved a framed poster the other day, and realized just how much the walls had faded...had to put the poster back up because the wall had faded several shades around it!

Stephanie

My Blog

Offline WendyW

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
Mine is pink, because I live in a houseful of males, and it's the only room where they can't complain if it's too "girly"!
Homeschool Mom and lifetime lover of sewing and crafts.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics