Author Topic: 2013 Top a Month  (Read 42518 times)

Offline whistlin dixie

• With Needle and Brush
2013 Top a Month
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
I had lots of fun participating in the 2012 Top a Month sew along. It's always encouraging to see what others are making, and keep inspired. Who wants to do it again this year?
Dixie

Offline lisap

Re: 2013 Top a Month
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
I'd like to join please. I really could do with stash busting and I do need more tops ( well who doesn't )

I have been working on New look 6104

I am almost finisihed  the plain fronted one with no tucks. I have made numerous pattern adjustments in the hope of achieving a TNT. So far I have  done a 1.5 " Y FBA , high round back , sway back, forward shoulder. I thought this would be enough but having made it up the darts don't point to the bust point. The next version will need the darts raised. Thankfully it doesnt look too bad in the patterned fabric I used. I have ordered some buttons so I am awaiting those before I can fully finish it. I know this is more a Summer type garment but I am thinking ahead  ;D
T

Offline bluenines1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
I would like to join too :) I do need more tops , esp for work clothes and I am working on sewing from my stash , this sounds like a good way to keep me motovated . Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes
happy sewing
http://bluenines.blogspot.com/
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/w7kLsyd/]

[/url]

Offline tcinsatx

• Terry in San Antonio
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Count me in, too! I have way too many plain, baggy, unflattering T-shirts. My intent this year is to make some flattering, feminine clothing. Tops will be a great place to start. Plus I need to do some serious stash busting.
Terry

Incidentally, in Seattle they say you haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running! -- Jeff Bezos

Offline PattiH

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
I am going to try to do it this year.  I have decided to curtail a very time consuming activity I am involved in, so that I can sew more.

PattiH

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
I'm in for this year. I realize that tops and jeans are what I live in. I want a bunch of tops so I don't have to do laundry all the time.  :) I've been living in the land of muslins and I need to see a finished garment so I will feel like I'm getting something done.

I need to get DH to pin up the hem on the Hot Pattern 3 Grace cowl neck and it will be finished. I had to look at Trudy's video to figure out how the cowl neck worked. It is a easy pattern to put together.  I have a PMB top pattern cut out and I just downloaded the free Lekala top.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Dixie, you inspired me to take a tour through last year's tops. There were some seriously lovely things shown, and lots of great pattern suggestions. I will try to keep up with you all this year. My personal challenge right now is to sew items that don't need buttonholes. My buttonhole machine is on the fritz and I can't decide whether to repair, replace, or go Greist!

Offline andib

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
I am in too.  I got back into my professional field...I am working as a PT in the school system.  I really cannot wear most of my clothes, as I am running around in a very hot building, sweating with the more able kids and on the ground with the less able kiddos.  I have one pair of pants I don't mind trashing, and that I can wash in hot water when I come home.  I need 3-4 short sleeved tops that are long enough to cover me when I am crawling on the floor, and a high enough neckline so I don't get looks down the front of my top.  I need a bit of a v or scoop neck just to balance my wide lower body.  I am bummed that I can't even wear my bright cardigans, but I suspect they will get ruined quickly.  Off to scour my stash for fabric that I still like but I do not love. 

Offline jsews

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:40 AM »
I think I will try this one.  I didn't do too well last year, but I think if it is just tops of any kind, I can do that. I am a jeans gal and always needs some fun new tops to wear.

Jean
Devote yourself to an idea. Go make it happen.  Struggle on it; overcome your fears.   Smile!  Donít you forget - this is your dream!

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:05 AM »
Count me in, I did manage to sew 5 tops last year, but still need more so hopefully this will keep me motivated.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline KayoticSewing

• Toronto, Canada
    • Gently down the seam
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:45 AM »
Count me in...
From the post I made in the other thread (TAM 2012)
I have made 2 muslins so far using a Burda pattern and an Ottobre pattern - with y dart FBA (yayy!).

I still have to do alterations for

1. swayback
2. narrowing the shoulders and scooping the armhole ( I have Ann's tutorial in mind, for this as it shows how to alter for narrow shoulder without reducing the armhole length)

At least I know that I need them and have some info on how to go about it.  Almost there...... I can see a well fitting Top(s) in my recent future!   ;)
- Kay

A beginner sewista trying to find her way ...
http://gentlydowntheseam.blogspot.com/

Offline Sergerqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Count me in, too.  I only managed a few tops last year, but I am in need of more stylish tops.  As soon as I finish up a few loose ends, I will start planning and sewing.

Offline Bellie Jean

• Sew happy!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
Hmm, OK I'll give it a try...I've never done one of these before.  Are there any special rules, other than stay focused, try your hardest to complete one top a month, and have fun??  (and post pics of course!)

Ellie :)
That smile looks good on you -- you should wear it more often!  :)

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
Completed a top! This is Paco Peralta's drape collar tunic. I am pumped about this because I am not handy with knits, but this went together quickly and without undue hassle, once I got a handle on how to attach the collar. I am a slow sewer, and when even I can cut and complete something in under 4 hours, it is easy-peasy. The nice drafting helps.

fabric is a poly slinky (no velcro-butt is important with a very long top like this one).
here's a link to the pattern: http://www.etsy.com/listing/64236085/drape-collar-tunic-pattern

Paco Peralta draped collar tunic by blue mooney, on Flickr

Offline lisap

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
Robyn that's a great top I've always admired that pattern. From the picture I would never of guessed it was poly.
T

Offline whistlin dixie

• With Needle and Brush
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Ellie - no rules at all for this sew-along. You're not even required to post photos, although we really like to see them. We're all here to motivate one another.

Robyn - What a nice looking tunic. I really like the styling. Glad to hear you're becoming more comfortable sewing with knits. Keep up the good work!
Dixie

Offline Doobee64

• Doobee's Creations
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:48 AM »
Robyn, that top looks super - the drape around the next is ideal! So, that's your first one ticked-off, what have you planned for next???
Pop 'Down Under' and see what I am sewing...http://doobee64.blogspot.com/

Offline KayoticSewing

• Toronto, Canada
    • Gently down the seam
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:26:40 AM »
Love the top, Robin!
- Kay

A beginner sewista trying to find her way ...
http://gentlydowntheseam.blogspot.com/

Offline Cherylanne

• North Avoca AUSTRALIA
    • Material World
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Robyn,  nice warm tunic.

I would like to join please.
My Blog  Material World

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
Thank you lisap, dixie, Doobee64, Kayotic, and Cherylanne! I think next I'll see what the more experienced and fashion-savvy folks make, so I can steal ideas. Meanwhile, a little stash-busting muslining of untried patterns is in order.

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
Cute top, Robyn, it looks like just the thing to throw on for a lot of different occasions.

Offline crazihippichic

• Don't just exist. LIVE!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
Now this is a challenge I believe I can meet. Will it be OK if I sew 2 tops in February since I am going to miss January? I am in the middle of a dress project which is taking longer than I anticipated.
Roxi, The Sewing Bee -(II)@"

Bernina 830 Record       Kenmore 1914                             Singer 500A              
Elna Supermatic             Singer 66 Red Eye treadle         Singer 221
Kenmore 51                     Singer 28K Hand Crank             Singer 301A
Kenmore 90                     Singer 15-91                                Singer 237 treadle          German treadle               White treadle                               White "bronze"

Offline Karendee

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Robyn,

Your new top is great! You always make the nicest items.

Karendee

Offline Cathy in MI

• Sew Fast and Easy
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
This idea fits right in with my sewing goals for this year, count me in! I wanted to master sewing knit tops because I wear so many of them! Some might be muslin's for fitting but hey - I can always wear them for pj tops, right? :)

I'll also start in February. I have Pamela's Magic Pencil Skirt I'm trying to fit then I'll start on the next muslin. My first attempt was Style Arc's Ann T top but it was much too tight. I should have measured the pattern before sewing it the first time. I like more ease in my knit tops than that one provided. Nice pattern though! Went together like a dream.
Just waiting patiently for a breath of spring!

http://sewfastandeasy.blogspot.com

Offline lydia

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
Talk about someone in a slump!! All my tops look as if they have been used for other reasons than wearing.  I have a couple of patterns to try and will use one of the tops I purchased last summer/autumn for TNT patterns.  These fit, look great, are made from quality fabrics - and made in the USA which is a plus.  First out of the chute will be a sunflower screen printed black knit - it will take me more time to place the sunflower motifs than it will be to make it.  Do not want any important areas highlighted.  I have enough knits to circle the globe, as I at one time worked for a Stretch and Sew instructor and we made knit garments by the truckload.  never really got the hang of sewing w/knits, but will give this the old ball park try.  As an aside:  Pam Erny has posted a great collar pattern and instructions (Off The Cuff).  Does anyone still have any S & S or Great Copy patterns?  I still like to use these as reference points as I do not like any type of knit which clings.
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
S & S - well, of course - I have a big box of S&S - tops, pants, bra, panties, shorts, vest, stirrup pants - you name it - I've got it!! ;D ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Finished my first 2013 Top.  It is a Christine Jonson e-cowl.  I really like the pattern but I think that the top will be better for spring.  The fabric is a bit light weight for our current cold spell.  Need to figure out how to get pictures to my Flickr acct now that I have a new computer.

Karleene

Offline TammieS

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:07 AM »
I've been lurking for a little while but think i'm going to try this challenge...  one of my resewlutions is for a garment a month.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »
Lydia, I have a few of the S&S patterns that I found at a flea market. One or two of them might make an appearance in this thread later on. The ones I picked up were pretty classic. I also got a S&S technique book that a sister sewer recommended to help me learn to sew knits.

Speaking of...are the tops for this sewalong supposed to be knits only? I really need to learn about different kinds of knits so that I can order online with confidence. I don't like sewing or wearing the thin and clingy stuff.

Offline jsews

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
Robyn - I really like your tunic.  What a great top to get the year going.

Jean
Devote yourself to an idea. Go make it happen.  Struggle on it; overcome your fears.   Smile!  Donít you forget - this is your dream!

Offline crazihippichic

• Don't just exist. LIVE!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Speaking of...are the tops for this sewalong supposed to be knits only? I really need to learn about different kinds of knits so that I can order online with confidence. I don't like sewing or wearing the thin and clingy stuff.

I don't think there was any stipulation as to fabric. I hope not, as I ordered a bunch of cotton lawn for spring/summer tops.
Roxi, The Sewing Bee -(II)@"

Bernina 830 Record       Kenmore 1914                             Singer 500A              
Elna Supermatic             Singer 66 Red Eye treadle         Singer 221
Kenmore 51                     Singer 28K Hand Crank             Singer 301A
Kenmore 90                     Singer 15-91                                Singer 237 treadle          German treadle               White treadle                               White "bronze"

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »
Lydia, I have a few of the S&S patterns that I found at a flea market. One or two of them might make an appearance in this thread later on. The ones I picked up were pretty classic. I also got a S&S technique book that a sister sewer recommended to help me learn to sew knits.

Guess I thought tops were tops??  Last year I posted a lot of woven tops.  I 'think' there was a shirt thread and a top thread.  I'm hoping it's "whatever" tops?
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline whistlin dixie

• With Needle and Brush
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 04:03:05 AM »
I'm not much of a rules gal, so I don't think we need to stay with knits only. To me, a top is a non-shirt item that covers your top half. Shirts are made with woven fabric and have buttons all the way down the front. We can include shirts here, too, if there's no shirt sew-along this year. I don't want to make it difficult for people to participate. I just want to keep us all motivated to sew!
There's no requirement to complete a top every month, either. We all have reasons for not getting one made in a particular month, and we end up making several another month. The goal is 12 tops in the year, but even that is just a goal, not a requirement. In my opinion, if you make one top, you've participated and succeeded in this sew-along!
Dixie

Offline Annette

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »
Thanks for your clarification whistlingdixie. Count me in - I need tops but I certainly won't be able to sew one every month - not before I finish my full-time job in June anyway.
Annette

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »
Thank you, Jean. I can't wait to get pants made so I can wear it.

And thanks for the clarification, Dixie. I was not going to start another shirt sewalong topic this year, although any one else that might be interested is welcome to do so!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics