Author Topic: The Winter Fireside  (Read 21316 times)

Offline ljh

Re: The Winter Fireside
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:27 AM »
Laurie, I'm so sorry about the speech therapist's DD.  I remember your posting about her before.

Pina, sorry about the cracked/not matching/whatever other problems with the toilet.  ::)

I ended up not running any more errands today.  It rained a bit, not much, but enough to make lazy me put it off.  I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow anyway, so I'll be out and about.
I did get started making a purse, and straightening up stuff in the freezer.  Our chest freezer is downstairs in the garage, so as you might imagine, I tend to toss stuff in the 'fridge's freezer when it really needs to go back downstairs.  Then I'm surprised when I can't find what I need.

Linda

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
Linda, I did that with some chicken last night.  I'll remember it though.  The chest freezer is full of beef.  I was lazy and didn't feel like going down there with the chicken and I had room in the freezer upstairs.  Besides, with the frigid temps we've been having, it's super cold in the basement.  I didn't feel like getting cold again.

I really hate that I won't be able to go straight home after work today, but DH and I both need refills on meds and I do need a couple of items at the grocery store.  Luckily, both places are at the same location and by the time I get to town, I should be toasty in the car. 

Pina, I'd be pretty frustrated with the toilet problems, too.  I hope you come up with a good solution.

I have got to figure out a good gift for my mother's birthday.  It's Sunday and I admit I haven't given it any thought at all.  Maybe I could make her a coffee cake.  She loves my recipe and it doesn't make a large one, so it won't go to waste before she can eat it.  I could whip up a pin cushion as well.  Just need to clean up my sewing area so I can find my supplies.
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline ljh

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
Life here has been pretty dull.  I saw DB yesterday and neither one of us had any news to exchange, except that he and DSIL would be making a trip to southern CA-which I already knew, just not the date.  We were forced to fall back on a discussion of the Chinese economy-which should tell you something.  ;D

I have been working on a little purse.  I made a similar one a couple years ago which came out nice, but while I made a pattern, I never wrote down the instructions, so I played it by ear, as it were.  I'm making a couple changes to the basic design, too, so there has been a little frustration along the way.  ::)  Eventually when I find some material I like, I'll make version 3 which I hope will be the 'standard' version from here on.  I'm not big on changing purses to match outfits, but a little variety is a good thing, right?
Linda

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
Linda, as far as I'm concerned, one can never have enough purses.  It's my one weakness.  Okay....one of them, but I'm not telling any of the others.   :P
Laurie H

Offline Terri B

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »
Uh Oh! Me too! It's a good thing you can't see my closet!  ;)

Offline ljh

« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »
Yeah, uh oh!  I just found a remnant of upholstery fabric that would be a really great test for my tweaked purse pattern.  Purse #3, here I come.  Well, after I get lining fabric.
Linda

Offline ljh

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
I had a surprisingly productive day yesterday-surprising because I didn't really have a list and just let one thing lead to another.  I didn't change the world or anything, but it was a good day.  And my car is much cleaner than it was too.  Not head turningly dazzling, but I don't need to be embarrassed to be seen in it.

Today: book club, probably a couple more errands (see above: lining fabric for purse #3  ::) )  some sewing (yay!) and another one of our "themed" potlucks at a friend's house.  I'll probably get some time to read as well.  I'm working on a good book, but it is a slow read-rather densely packed with facts and I have to be in the right state of mind (as in, alert) to read it.
Linda

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:49 AM »
It was beautiful today.  The sun :sunny: came out, a lovely change after several days of much-needed rain.  The Mustang was bored, so we ran errands with the top down.  The rain will be back soon, but I feel refreshed.  I talked to some nice strangers.  I pulled into the grocery story parking lot with the Eagles "Witchy Woman" playing.  A man getting into his truck told me he loves the song.  Turns out he is a  :drum: and we talked music for a bit.   And I finally got to use :drum:   ;D .

Plus, running errands kept me out of the sewing room which needs to be cleaned and decluttered.    :eek:

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2013, 05:09:41 AM »
Oh I wish it was a beautiful day here in S/E Qld but it is not.

Our state has been battered for the past few days by an ex-tropical cyclone. We have had rain rain and more rain, tornado's, gale force winds, you name it we've had it. The rain is still coming, rivers are still rising and the winds are howling. I am a little over it. The kids are due back at school (after summer holidays) in two days but they won't decide till tomorrow if schools will re-open or not. We are not as bad off as some areas though, we've had hundreds of mm's of rain in the past 24 hours but some places have had over 1m of rain (yes that's more than 36 inches) over the past two days and the full impact has not been felt yet. Sigh.

I love summer but we could really do without these extreme weather events we get ...

Offline janquiltz

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »
Oh my goodness, Debbie!    That makes Hurricane Sandy which hit here a few months back sound like wimp!    Sounds like the worst it over for you but still, stay safe please!

Our girls are back, for last night anyway.   They should (must!) be up in a little bit, we are heading out to the general vicinity of where they now live and will take them with us, leaving in about 45 minutes.   We had a family birthday party last night at DS and DDIL's new place, and of course F and N are now family.  We celebrated 4 birthdays, all in January/early February.   Me, DS, DD1 and F.   Nice time :)

DS and DDIL floored me with an old Singer sewing table with treadle.  No machine ;)    But they got it from a neighbor who was moving, and will have it refinished, as the top looks pretty bad.    It is lovely, and I really and truly do love things like that.  But, where oh where do they think I can put it?  This will require some serious figuring, and something else has to go to accommodate it.    Our house has a lot of rooms but all are small, and chock full already!    So it's kind of a mixed feeling, I love love love it but am not quite sure I really needed it! :)    Bless them for their thoughtfulness though!

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
Jan, that's a lovely gift.  I'm sure you can find something that doesn't need to be in the house so you can make room for the table. 

Debbie, I do hope that rain stops.  That's a lot of rain in short time!  Wow!  If the schools don't open on time, do the kids have to make it up during the year or at the end or do they get to forget about the days?

Linda, are you finding that making the purses is fun?  I know you are good and find satisfaction making garments, but what about purses?

I have to head down to my mother's with a coffee cake I just took out of the oven.  It's her birthday today and while I'd like to simply call her and say hi, it's only right I take something to her.  I just feel like my whole weekend has slipped by me.  We were out late with friends on Friday night and while I did get things done yesterday, I was just so slow about everything.  Today has been better, but knowing I'll miss part of my day is kind of a pain.  I'm not a good daughter.

So we have a new grandnephew.  He arrived this past Wednesday, but we found out yesterday morning.  He was a big boy at 8 lb, 12 oz.  He was expected at the beginning of February, so I'm glad he came a little early.  He didn't need to be any bigger!  Our niece isn't a big girl, so bigger is not better. 

I'm kind of embarrassed to be seen in my car, it's so dirty.  Not the inside, it's easy to keep that neat and clean, but the outside is terrible.  'Course, I'm not alone.  All the cars look bad.  Still, I feel like such a slob when I drive it.  I really should wash it anyway, all the stuff the put on the roads is just not good for it, so maybe when I head out today I can wash it.  I have enough quarters in the car to take care of that.  It won't take long, either.  That's a good idea.

Laurie H

Offline ljh

« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
Debbie, that does not sound like fun.  Hope the weather improves for you soon.

Jan, congrats on your new sewing machine cabinet.  I had a treadle machine years decades ago, but got rid of it when I had the kids-it was both heavy and top-heavy making it unsuitable for a house with small children.  I sometimes miss it, but practically speaking I can't imagine having found a place for it all these years-and of course I only actually used it a couple times...

Laurie, I am having fun with the purses, but I'm really not going to make bunches of them.  I don't need them, and I suspect excitement would fade after a few more.

We had a nice dinner last night.  Our theme was "comfort food" and we did it rather well, if I do say so myself.   ;D  Anyway we chose our theme for the next one-"California cuisine" and I'm hosting, so I'll have to start figuring out when we can do it.

Nice and sunny today, I think the high will only in the mid 50's, but hey, it is January so I can hardly complain.
Linda

Offline Quincunx

• The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »
Oh no, not complaining one little bit.  I've got the south-facing windows open to give the house a boost.  Had the windows cracked open yesterday afternoon as the temperature passed 62, but forgot to turn the heat back on overnight.  Was a mite nippy when we got up this morning.  Oops.  Not that it got too cold overnight, as the new kitties are good little radiators.  The gray one is happiest, day or night, when his face is in someone's ear, and while the orange one prefers lying flat on floors, he can make an exception for mom's double wedding ring quilt.

They haven't noticed the betta yet, but have discovered that a squirrel runs along the fence and brought down the first indoor fly of the season.  Ribbon is more enticing than the laser pointer's dot.  I'll have to be very careful to not leave scraps unattended, that ribbon was in shreds after only fifteen minutes.  The notions are stored in a cookie jar they cannot get into, although I'm sure they'll try.

Looked on Craigslist for something better than the cheapest sort of iron and found a household use clamshell press for just that price.  The seller is much happier with a cheap iron for her clothes and I just fused some interfacing with no problems whatsoever.  Need to store it out of kitty reach until the exterior cools down, but the hottest surface is always concealed, which I consider a bonus.
Projects in Progress (photos only) - Technophile sans blog

Offline DebbieY

• Debs Needle & Thread
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
Thanks girls. We are fine and the sun has finally come out, first time we've seen it in nearly 4 days!

The storm has travelled almost the whole length of the Qld coast and is now heading down through NSW leaving devastation in it's path. There are trees down, caravans upturned, cars smashed, roofs off, boats torn from moorings & moorings torn away, flooding on an epic scale, people trapped under trees, some missing and unfortunately 3 confirmed dead. We even had tornadoes along the Qld coastline, most unusual.

The ex-tropical cyclone is currently in NSW and heading down the coast towards Sydney. It is hard to imagine it has covered such a huge expanse and is still going. Flooding has not yet peaked in many areas as run off from dams and upstream are still impacting across the state(s). That said we have no damage other than a few pieces of roofing off the cubby house that were were demolishing anyway, some palm trees a bit worse for wear and branches off other trees but noting to worry about.

No news as to if school will start back tomorrow or not yet. I don't know what the Dept. of Education will do there, our local school might be ok (haven't been out there to see yet) but there will be many schools across the state that won't, many are under water. I guess if they do postpone the start of school they won't have to make up the day later, but not really sure as it has never happened here before that I am aware of.

Has anyone heard from Karen (Kbenco)? I know she is up near Gympie and a lot of that area is flooded?

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
I'm sad  :'(  and angry  >:(  and I don't want to talk about it except to say I've had a fight with a friend.  Please send hugs. 

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
Suzi, I'm sorry you're feeling sad about the fight with your friend.  I hope it's resolved soon and until then..... :grouphug:   I hope that helps. 

Wow, Debbie, that's a mean storm that just won't stop!  At least it's gone from your area, maybe it will keep moving and be out to sea before long?

Quincunx, kind of like having a couple of toddlers, around isn't it?  Can't leave anything out in the open and have to have everything in containers and up high.  Not that having it up high will work with your kitties.  Sounds interesting at your house!

We've had so much deep cold with high winds for so long that everyone has been talking about cold spots in their houses and having a hard time to keep the houses really warm.  We've been able to keep the house warm, but have been finding those cold spots.  I didn't want to eat at the table and using the computer was not fun and I noticed that even the upstairs wasn't the hot spot it usually is.  This weekend, DH had had enough.  He brought wood inside and he started a fire in our old wood stove in the basement.  That's how we used to heat the house, with that and the oil furnace.  The furnace was back up, but we had the wood stove in the basement.  It doesn't hold a lot so it has to be filled often and I used to burn my hands often, but that always did do a good job keeping the chill off the floors.  That made a huge difference this weekend. 

Linda, I'd love seeing a photo when you've finished with your purses. 
Laurie H

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
Thanks, Laurie. 

Offline ljh

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
Suzi, more hugs for you.  :grouphug:  That's never a happy situation and I hope things improve.

Laurie, Brrrrrr!  Glad you're finally getting some supplemental heat. 
I'll try to get a photo of the purses when I'm done.  And I'm almost done with #3.

Quincunx, congrats on your Craigslist find.  I hope you found a suitable kitty-free spot to allow it to cool down.

Debbie,  I'm glad you came through OK, and hope damage elsewhere is minimal, but I have to say it doesn't really sound like it.  Best wishes to all.
Linda

Offline janquiltz

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
Suzi, I'm sorry.  {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} from me too, I hope things settle down and will be OK again.

Quincunx, neat to find something useful like that :)

Laurie, stay warm!    Warming up here, it was snowing, but not sticking...turning to rain later in the day.    Seems we've had our cold snap for a while.

Debbie, glad all is well.   The storm is heading south, I wonder if it is hitting/will hit the Melbourne area?  We have family in Moe...

Linda, wow, a lot of purses!    Very industrious, you are!

Sitting here waiting, and kind of annoyed...we are getting new phone/internet service today, and the appointment was to be between 9 and noon.   It is almost noon, and based on an incoherent phone message I received on Saturday, that I was supposed to reply to with an access code that was incomprehensible, I am wondering if they are coming.   I did call the company and managed to confirm through the back door, so to speak, without the code, but was wondering if that worked.   A truck pulled up across the street then took off right away again.   

Well just called and got the (not!) helpful recorded lady, who confirmed that they are indeed coming, now between 1:30 and 2:30.    Thanks for telling me...sigh.  I really had no where to go but just don't like not knowing such things.   So we shall see.  Another neighbor is supposed to have it done at the same time.     I know they can send two trucks.  I hope so!  The installation takes up to 6 hours!!!!!!!    My immediate neighbors on each side had it done last week, and it took 4 and 5 hours respectively.    Yes this company has blitzed the area with a new service, and many of us have been waiting years for it.    Our only option thus far has been one company that is hard to deal with.    This one doesn't seem much easier at this point, but...we shall see!   I'll save a bundle each month, that I know.

And, talked to DH's cousin last night.  DA is home!    She was to go to a rehab facility but no one would take her.   She needs a warming blanket for her bed because her body temp is too low.    No facility would allow the blanket.   Apparently they are not often needed.    DH's cousin bought one, it is essentially a mattress pad that can be kept at a constant temp of your choice.    They have hired a woman to live in, and are caring for her at home.    She walks a little, could use real rehab but should do well just walking with assistance back and forth in the house...bottom line it home is always best.   

But considering she was at death's door two weeks ago, this is nothing short of amazing.   I talked to her last night and she sounded tired and a little 'slurry' but otherwise sharp as ever.    Reminded me yet again that her prediction is 6 grandchildren for me and DH.   If she is right, someone had best get busy!    That all takes time!

A kidney med they gave her kicked in and settled things for now.   Still on oxygen but just at night.   She is definitely breathing better.   It's the old congestive heart/kidney failure thing.   Very difficult to balance.    But thank goodness for that drug that helped!

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:42 PM »
Thank you for the hugs.  I know everything will be fine, but getting there can be tough.  This, too, shall pass.

Jan, I am SO happy to hear that your DA has improved this much! 

Wow - 6 hours to install?  What, they rebuild the house?   ;)  I'm sorry it wasn't as easy as mine - plug in a new router and you are good to go. 

Laurie,  Warm is good!

Debbie, you have gotten the same amount of rain from that storm that we get in three years.  Blows my mind.   :blowsmind:  Glad you are OK.   

Offline janquiltz

« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
Suzi, hopefully it won't be too tough, but I know such things are surely not easy.

It took 2 and a half hours, LOL we were on the fast track.   This is different cable/wiring from the previous company, it's fiber optic, different system.     So now we have internet and phone with it.   We don't have TV, yes we are strange, but you knew that ;)    Each step took a while, it involved stringing a cable from the utility pole out front to the house, drilling a new hole in the foundation to get it into the basement, installing a HUGE box on the wall down there for the whole thing, it must be 12 x 16 x 4, at least.    Then whatever he did inside, connecting everything.   Also involved waiting time while the big box activated itself.    I was half expecting it to bounce off the wall, once activated, LOL...but it behaved nicely, I am happy to report.

So the tech set up my laptop, but didn't do the desktop...they basically deal with wireless.    For cable we are kind of on our own.   DS talked me through getting DH's computer set up but it didn't work, sigh.    So, this evening he talked DH through it again, a bit differently, and again it didn't work.    But,  aha, DS can access our router from his computer, and he did, and got it all straightened out...we are both 'on' now and both can print.   The printer wouldn't recognize the new network, and our new IP address without some intervention (or introduction?).

DS will stop by later in the week and rename it all back to what we had before, the network that is.

Meanwhile I have caller ID and call waiting for the first time in my life.   Those things were extra on the phone plan we had before and just weren't worth it to us.   This plan, with all of that and the internet, will save us a good $50 a month between the two.

It is a new service in our neighborhood, has been around for some years now but not  right here.  Friends who have it like it, DS got it in his new house.    Folks here are switching in droves.   Time Warner has not made a squeak that I've heard, one might think they would be offering competitive rates to keep customers?    Guess they have enough already...

So the Time Warner account is in DS's name, we never changed it when he moved out because it was just such a convoluted process to do so.    He was fine with us keeping it that way so long as we paid the bill, which of course we do ;)      We knew this new service was eventually coming, and figured we'd just wait and deal with it all then.   So, DS will terminate the service, and I will deliver their box back to one of their stores.   

Debbie, that amount of rain blows my mind as well, I simply cannot imagine why you all didn't just float away!

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2013, 03:47:02 AM »
Thanks, Jan.  See, I'm talking about a man.  I don't speak Martian, he doesn't speak Venusian.

I can understand why that installation took some time - they really did have to rebuild the house in a way.  I'm glad you have a DS who can set it up. 

Offline judic

« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
Jan, Our satellite system took at least that long - the first time. (The second guy used the wires under the house and in the attic already there) Glad your DS was able to get things straightened out.  The price sounds really nice too.

Suzi   :grouphug:  I hear you. Sometimes that's all you want - a friendly set of ears - with no mouth attached.

Jan - so nice that DA is home. We have an electric mattress pad - and wouldn't want to be without it. I turn it on in the evening, and when we crawl into bed the sheets are warmed.  We do turn it off before we go to sleep. I hope the meds help her have a better life.

Laurie, we have cold spots in our house too. The kitchen is downright icy sometimes. Non-insulated walls and floor.  No wood stove in the cellar though. (no cellar!) I wear wooly socks - and warm-up pants.

I sorted out some of my stabilizers and embroidery cards this morning. Have a friend with a new machine that will probably be able to use them.  (for a minimal price)  Since I finished the placemats,  I am finally able to start a new fleece jacket for me. I'm going to line this one - to make it just a bit warmer.  It's one of the 2 hour jackets, but I'm sure it will take me more time than that - just to get it cut out!   

Debbie - I hope that storm wears itself out soon.  DH's son, a sister and a niece live in Brisbane.  We haven't heard anything from them. but that's not unusual. 
Sewing helps keep me sane.

Offline ljh

« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Jan, I guess two and a half hours isn't too awful with all the wiring and routing things...  I don't think we'll ever get any cheaper service up here.  We can get Comcast (can you say "expensive"?) but the phone company isn't interested in spending a cent to upgrade infrastructure in our neighborhood, so, few other options for internet.  We happen to have a line-of-sight to a radio transmitted signal for internet which isn't much cheaper than Comcast and does have some restrictions on usage (and it has incredibly good customer service), but we are stubborn people and will avoid Comcast as long as possible  ;) 

I'm glad your DA is home and wish her well, though of course, with congestive heart failure the writing is on the wall, as it were.  DSisIL's DM was recently diagnosed with that as well, and she is being moved up to a place closer to her kids than she is now.  It will make things easier for everyone.

Judi, it might be worth your while to insulate at least your cold spots.  We had insulation blown into the walls a number of years ago and it really made things more comfortable.  We didn't do the floors because most of the house is carpeted and it wouldn't really have made much difference.
Linda

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »
I want to thank all of you.  I was hurt and angry. Once I calmed down and asked point blank about the issue, it turns out it was a giant misunderstanding.  He thought that he'd told me something that he hadn't.  When I pointed that out, he apologized.  "I'm sorry" goes a long way too making it right.

Offline ljh

« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2013, 03:55:21 AM »
Suzi, I'm very happy to hear that.  :)
Linda

Offline Terri B

« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:47 AM »
Glad to hear it Suzi! Amazing how far a good apology will go!  ;)

Offline ljh

« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
Purses, we got purses!
They're about 9" wide and 6" high. The blue ultrasuede in the back was the first one and has a couple features (like it converts to a waist pack) I don't really use, so the one on the right with salamanders eliminated those, changed the dimensions slightly (I got a new, slightly larger wallet), and instead of putting little organizer pockets directly in the purse, I made an organizer that fits in the one side so I can just switch it from one purse to another.

I think the salamander fabric is a bit on the soft side, even with interfacing (note that it 'buckled' a bit at the top when I set it on the table for the photo), though it works fine when I carry it.  And a long zipper on the side with the organizer insert is pointless because the sides of the organizer are higher than the purse when it is unzipped.

So, we have purse #3-random upholstery fabric. Now, even this one isn't perfect because I tried a different position for the zipper on the back compartment, and don't like it as well as the original, but it's not a big deal and if we don't experiment, we don't learn, right?  All in all I'm happy with all of them and maybe now I won't carry the same purse every day year in and year out until it dies, which would be my usual habit...
Linda

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Suzi, so glad you and your friend made up.  You really seemed down about it.

Linda, I like the purses.  I also like the adjustment you made from the blue one.  I have always liked that type of upholstery fabric for purses.  I've actually had a couple of change purses/wallets over the years with tapestry fabric.  In fact, I bought one not long ago that I'm now using to hold my MP3 player.  Don't know why I like it, but I've always thought it was neat.  The salamander fabric is pretty cute as well.

Hopefully, the temps have risen as predicted and my road is no longer icy.  Our neighbor, the infamous Warren, is the one who sands the other, longer end of our road and he ran out of sand and had to go back to the town garage to get more.  Unfortunately, before he was able to get back, I found the area he hadn't sanded and apparently my car didn't like it.  It spun me out and tossed us into a ditch, against a snowbank.  I called DH and he came to pull me out.  Warren had just come by, laying some sand down and he and DH passed each other by the curve in the road, just about the spot where he had run out of sand. 

The car appeared to be fine, I appear to be fine, but I'll be so much better when I'm back at home, curled up for the night.  I got to work at 8:30 and I was already  to pack up and go home.   Still, it's 1:00 now and I can leave before long.  I'm tired. 

Kids have been taking photos for the yearbook this week and last.  Two girls went by a little while ago.  One girl with a camera, knocked on my door (I have a large window in it) and when I looked up, she picked up her camera and took a photo through the window.  Then she gave me a thumbs up!  :)  The other girl opened the door and said thanks.  Then as she closed the door, I heard her ask the camera girl, "Did you even ask her if you could?"  So cute. 

Laurie H

Offline ljh

« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
I'm still plugging away at "stuff" here.  I did work on the "surface design challenge" for my ASG group.  I did bleach discharge on denim for a skirt.  Simple, right?  Well, it would have been, but I decided using stencils would be a good idea-which it was in some ways-but if I wanted say, 3 fern fronds in a group, I had to use the stencil, let the bleach set, wash the bleach out, dry the fabric and then repeat for frond # 2, etc.  Ended up taking most of the day on and off...  In between bleachings I rearranged the feathers from a feather pillow form to make 2 smaller pillow forms.  Kind of messy, but, of course, far, far better than if it had been down pillows.
Pro tip:  don't do either of these activities in the middle of allergy season.  It doesn't improve one's ability to breathe  ;D
I got a little more organizing done too, so all in all, not a bad day.
Linda

Offline judic

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
Linda - It sounds like your 'challenge' project would be a good one for a day with a good book waiting.
I like the purses. They look like something for a special occasion rather than 'everyday'.

Laurie, Hope you still feel OK after your 'slip 'n slide' episode. Glad the car seemed OK but that's not something you should make a habit of doing.  Chuckled at the girls catching you unaware.

Suzi - It's good to know that you got the communication issue resolved. You've got a special guy that can apologize.

i have not been 'doing' much of anything. A bit of cleaning, a bit of laundry, and a bit more of reading some books I got last week at the library.  [well, they turned out to be really good books!]  My jacket is still sitting on the table, waiting for the sleeve to be stitched. It's going to happen - in the near future.
Tomorrow is DS's birthday. I'm leaving him a message that he's my 'favorite 51 yr. old son'.  Can't believe he's that old already. How did that happen??  ??? ???
Sewing helps keep me sane.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Judi, my mother says that every time one of us has a birthday...wondering how we got that old.  I don't know how my kids keep aging when I don't????   Who knows?

Those 2 girls were funny.  I'm sure the photo won't be used, but I was having a very good hair day, so I won't mind if it was!  ;)

I'm still having some twinges from my very lower back and neck, don't know if the car in the ditch has anything to do with it or if it's all from falling on the ice.  Could be both.  Having them happen a week apart probably didn't help either spot a bit.  I really should make an app't with my chiropractor so she can work her magic.

Linda, your challenge sounds very interesting, but not being able to breathe very well might be a good thing if you don't like the smell of bleach.  Love to see how it all came out...I mean, looks like.

I've been working on an organizing, cleaning project this week and I'm almost done.  I hope to finish today, I have 2 bags of garbage to haul out and lots of paperwork to really organize and sort through.  Of course, my regular housework and floors to wash after our warm weather this week.  Muddy prints everywhere.  Now that it's cold again, there won't be any prints on the floors.  If I move fast enough, I'll have tomorrow to sew.
Laurie H

Offline ljh

« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Judi, your 'not doing much' sounds pretty nice to me.  :)  The other stuff will get done eventually.

Laurie, I hope you move fast enough to have a whole day to sew!  And I'm sure landing in ditch didn't help your back, even if that wasn't the main cause...

The bleach discharge skirt-I used a Clorox bleach pen.  The fumes weren't as bad as messing with liquid bleach, and I did leave the sliding door open part way for ventilation, it's just that it went on for several hours, and I was also messing with those feathers, and I have allergies right now.

Here are the front (in the center) and back pieces (on either side) for the skirt.  They didn't discharge perfectly evenly, which is fine, although there are a couple spots that bleached out almost completely which I would have preferred not to have.
Linda

Offline janquiltz

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
Linda, as always you do beautiful work!  Love the purses, and the design on the skirt.  Sorry though about the allergies :(

Suzi, I'm so happy things are better.   Wonderful news! :)

Laurie, those girls must have been cute.

Judi, I have no idea how you could have a 51 year old son.  I have no idea how I can have a 33 year old one.   Life can be hard to fathom at times! :D

The clan is coming to eat tonight, a spur of the moment idea.   DD2 and DSIL just backed out though, sigh.    AFTER I made preps for a meal to accommodate their non-meat-eating ways.   As well.    The rest of us don't need meat, that is not the issue, the issue is the amount of food I was preparing.   So, we will have a few more leftovers, not a biggie I assume.  When I called her and invited her she said it was a great excuse to say no to an invite to see friends in NJ.    But she has since texted that she discovered that a friend they haven't seen in a long time will be there, and this person is flying back to CA tomorrow, so it is tonight to see them.    I understand, but...wish she had figured that out earlier!

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
Linda, that's really cute.  Yeah, the bleach pen makes so much more sense.  I like how it came out.  Anything 'leafy' like that really catches my eye.

Still sounds like a nice dinner, Jan.  Personally, I love leftovers.  Saves on cooking later.

Sunny and in the 20's.  Just right.  We were supposed to have snow today, but I like this weather better.  If the forecast is correct, it will be like this all week.  I'll take it.

I worked in the house all day yesterday, really cleaning, organizing, tossing and now I have a pile to be shredded and DH hauled out 2 bags of garbage.  He would have preferred I put everything in 3 bags, not 2, because they were very heavy.  Yeah, I didn't realize they were that bad until I dragged them from the office to the kitchen and I just wasn't thinking.  I'll take care of the big bag I have started upstairs.  He doesn't need to see that one anyway.  He'll question it and I don't want to tell him I tossed old jeans.  Such a hassle, you know.  They aren't any good, but he'd want to check them out anyway and this is why I use black bags.  We're better off that I haul it out myself. 

Today I'll be sewing.  I just need to get up there....and off the computer!   ;D
Laurie H

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics