Author Topic: Stash Attack, the Stash-Busting Sewalong!  (Read 54657 times)

Offline Andromache

Stash Attack, the Stash-Busting Sewalong!
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
I don't know about y'all (*cough*) but I have entirely too much fabric.  I have vowed that I will not buy any more fabric until I have sewn up some of the fabric I already have in my stash. 

To that end, let me announce Stash Attack, the Stash-Busting Sewalong! 

Here's what I'm going to do.  If I can hold off on buying more fabric and sew at least one project a month for the next six months, then I get to buy more fabric.  (Buying lining fabric and other fabric I need to complete these projects is allowed.) 

The pieces of fabric I plan to sew up are:

-- 4 yard (?) piece of purple velvet, plus 1-yard (?) piece of matching chiffon.

-- 3 yard (?) piece of black velvet.

-- 4 yard piece of red crepe.

-- 3 yard piece of cotton/linen blend.

-- 5 yard (?) piece of aqua chiffon.

-- 2.5 yard piece of red wool crepe.

-- 3 yard piece of white linen.

Feel free to join in the fun, whether you want to lay out a plan like this to work towards, or just want to sew through your stash!
κτῆμά τε ἐς αἰεὶ μᾶλλον ἢ ἀγώνισμα ἐς τὸ παραχρῆμα

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
Re: Stash Attack, the Stash-Busting Sewalong!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
Good idea, especially since I added to my stash just Wednesday, after committing to a 20% overall reduction in "stuff" on the Decluttering thread. Clearly I am in denial about something!

6 months, eh?
1) test trousers & jacket patterns for suit for DH
2) black wool suit for DH
3) finish winter coat from last winter
4) solid knit turtlenecks for me (I have tons of print ones which I can't wear with my pretty sweaters)
not sure what else will catch my fancy over the next 6 months.

Offline SewGraceful

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
I'm in (with no specific plan)!  I just want to get rid of some stash.  Looking forward to seeing everyone's creations.

Offline medea

• Blog in swedish but sometimes even in english
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
I also really have to use some of my stash. At our market there often are fabric for 1/meter and it's really hard to ignore. BUT I realize that I have to stop buying.
I think it's a good thing to combine winter 6 PAC-sewing with this stash-busting Sewalong.
I just cut a pink linen dress of linen I bought two or three years ago. And there are piles of fabric waiting to be used. I post more later...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:51:51 PM by medea »
http://www.provence-arles.se/pages/start_UK.html (Rent our Studio in Provence, France)

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
I'm in too! I'm trying to get rid of all my stash by the end of the year - and then have a clean start for the SWAP - I spent the whole day cutting out and I'm hoping to spend all of next week sewing - that's if life doesn't come along and get in the way again. :)
Lynnette

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I had been soooo good - then my DM wanted my warm fleecy robe when she was in the hosp. - then she asked if she could have it and I purchase another one - no problem - until I priced them - sticker shock.  Then, FM had their terry fleece on sale for $5 a yard, and of course I just had to have a mystery bundle - - But I do have a robe cut out.  I've been sewing entirely from stash except for this terry.  Wait, I also purchased enough Pendleton for a jacket ::) ::)  I'm afraid there's no hope for me.  Yup, I'm definitely up for this.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Online Brenda

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »
I'll be joining you!
6 UFOs are waiting for my attention and then I will plunge in, diving deep!
(3 skirts, 2 workout tops that need to be hemmed, and a simplified version of a reversible swing jacket)

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »
I am in as well - I have a large stash and just bought some more ;D I have been on a stash reduction but need to sew more!!

I am just sewing on demand so as to speak!! Hopefully I will get to a plan after working through some patterns to make TNT's.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:51:54 AM »
I keep seeing projects in my mind, adding to the stash, but not sewing.  Part of the problem is that I have invested in a couple of StyleArc patterns, and I am suffering with classic "new pattern" nerves.  But .... there are a number of items I really must get finished.

1.  Cotton lawn peasant style top (wearable muslin)    ....................  cut out
2.  Same top in my good super soft japanese fabric
3.  turquoise cord skirt ...............  finished and show off topic posted
4.  alter my favourite t'shirt pattern and then a smokey blue/green shirt to go with skirt  ................ pattern altered, and wearable muslin cut out, sewn and showed off
5.  3 more t-shirts for summer
6.  xmas sewing,  8 sets of xmas bunting
7.  5 sets of pj's  ................................ patterns traced off for 2 sets
8.  a longline garter belt
9.  bag to swap for the pattern for the garter belt .......................... traced off pattern, not in love with it, so may have to look for another
10.  fit and flared summer dress. 
11.  added a modesty piece to a top I finished ages ago

Wow ...... thats a serious list I think.  I will edit as I complete various bits.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:13:54 AM by datcat23 »
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline aisling

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:19 AM »
I need to reduce my stash greatly either by sewing it up or passing it on. I figure if I conctrate on the bulkier fabrics first then I will reduce space occupation quicker. I'm concetrating on the wools as they take up more space then cottons. Sewing in wool in summer is not fun.

edited because the thing posted before I was ready

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:13:57 AM by aisling »

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »
Does it count that pretty much all of my planned sewing for SWAP and Winter 6PAC will be from my fabric stash? The scary thing is that even if I complete all those garments, it will only make a small dent in the fabric here at Acorn Cottage. Actually, organising my fabric is one of the resolutions for 2013, so I am doing my best to start sewing up what is here. I just hope that I have not gone beyond SABLE* yet...

* Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
We should all contribute to this Sew-a long! I too promised myself not to buy any more fabric (I can't close the lid on the stash box) and it's sitting all around the sewing room making me feel guilty. But then I had to go to the shop yesterday to find a colour matching piece for a top and then I saw a boucle that will make a fab Chanel jacket and, some satin that will be a fabulous lining and matching blouse; and some navy wool to match a half made skirt and some silky poly for another blouse and and......

I delete immediately any e-mails from FabricMart, Mood, Croftmill and MyFabrics etc without reading them. Trying to reduce the temptation level.

Ruth

Offline MaryC

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

* Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
[/quote]

I love this!  I'm very good at 'hiding' stash since my sewing room is small.  Time to review and plan.  I'm in ;D

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
I finally got a nice storage unit for my sewing room which unflinchingly reveals how much fabric I own.  When purchased the unit looked enormous.  I found I could only fit seasonal fabric in it, the rest is in tubs in a giant closet.  It is hopeless to think I would sew everything in that unit this winter, yet I still browse all the online sources.  The same is true of my bookshelves, I have to admit.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:41:44 PM by Carole »

Offline RobbieK

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
I've pretty much been doing this for about 6 months.  (Although I did buy some red denim for jeans...)  My stash is in a double closet with the sliding doors removed, looks a lot like your storage unit, Carole.  DH put up shelving and it's all right out there.  It did get me using it because I can see what I have.  I have a pair of Jalie stretch jeans cut from leftovers in the stash for DGD #2.  Hope to get them stitched up today. 

Offline Towanda

• Life is sew sew good
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
In jumping in. I've been using stash fabric for the last few months. I was rearranging my stash a couple of weeks ago because I needed to put away the spring/summer fabrics and realized how much fabric I own. My stash has outgrown its storage space. Last night, I was pulling fabric from under the bed.

I never stick to a promise not to buy fabric but I am more selective. FM and Michael's are my downfalls. I'm going to NY in December to buy fabric for my birthday treat to me. I'm only looking for fabrics that I can't find locally or on-line.

I'm working on my 6PAC using 11 yards of a lightweight black ponte knit. I'm finishing up a skirt and pr of oneseams. I have two tops cut out and more patterns waiting to be cut out.

http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Sergerqueen

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
I'm in, too!  some of the things I've been thinking about/planning to sew are:

1.  Plum wool blazer - I took Kenneth King's class on Copying RTW in Novi and have this started.
2.  Tan wool coat - I've had this fabric and lining languishing in my stash for a while.  I plan to make Marfy 2552 which was featured in the pattern reviews this issue.  I have an old mink that I plan to use for the collar and cufffs.
3.  Chico's Top Knock Off - Bias pieced striped knit top with some navy/grey knit that was my last fabric purchase
4.  Style Arc's Abby Cardi - This one has been on my "to make" list for a few months.  I'm not sure which stash knit fabric I'll make it out of yet.
5.  Pieced Marcy Tilton t-shirt - I have several coordinating pieces of black and cream knit to make this.  Not sure which pattern to use yet.
6.  Kwik Sew 3764  or Vogue 8795 - I'm thinking of making this unlined with a black wool double knit.  I also purchased the hook and eye tape from Marcy Tilton for the closure.

I think this is a good plan to try an accomplish in the next six months.  I used to make New Year's Sewing Resolutions (Projects), but I never seem to get too far and the same projects kept popping up year after year.  For me, I think breaking it down into six month is much more attainable.  I also like the freedom to choose my own items to make to fill in the "holes" in my wardrobe.  I've thought about SWAPs, but I have trouble keeping on track.

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
We should all contribute to this Sew-a long! I too promised myself not to buy any more fabric (I can't close the lid on the stash box) and it's sitting all around the sewing room making me feel guilty. But then I had to go to the shop yesterday to find a colour matching piece for a top and then I saw a boucle that will make a fab Chanel jacket and, some satin that will be a fabulous lining and matching blouse; and some navy wool to match a half made skirt and some silky poly for another blouse and and......
Ruth

I can relate to this except that my stash has taken over the spare bedroom closets and includes cardboard boxes in my bedroom.  I give myself a pat on the back when I leave Fabricville with only the thread or elastic or whatever I went there to buy.  I assure you that this does not always happen but I'm working on it.  I've taken up knitting again and we have an absolutely yummy yarn store, Cricket Cove, which I find overly tempting from time to time.  Moreover, they have several branches within easy driving distance and they make a point of stocking each one differently.  I'm not including a link to their web page so the rest of you are not tempted.

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
A BIG thank you - you just saved me from myself!!  I had some sweater knit in a shopping bag and managed to pass.  I have way too much stash.  It is all nice stuff and I just need to SEW!  Am hoping to get a couple winter 6 PACs done.  One in browns and the other with basic black.  All from Stash fabrics.

I have black microfiber TSW Mimosa pants
Dark gray with multiple colors knit LH Biarritz Sweater tweak
Teal/black LH Sweater set with a second Teal top

All are cut out and make 5 pieces so am getting started now.

Thanks for getting me going.
Karleene

Offline Karendee

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
I have laughed through this entire thread due to the current  SABLE in my house. At least I'm in wonderful company. Indigo, I love this term and plan to use it often, if I may. Carole, that is a nice shelving unit. Did it come from Ikea? It looks about 5 or 6 ft. tall. Is that about right?

Karen

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »
Wait!  You mean we are actually supposed to SEW something out of the fabric we buy and not just admire it?!
  :eek2:

Offline aisling

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:55 AM »
I have pulled out 8 pieces of fabric. I'll still looking for the last piece of coating as it seems to be stored somewhere else. The 8 pieces of fabric have a total yardage of 24 metres and only 2 of the pieces are 110 cm wide, the rest are 150-160 cm. I'm looking at making 12-13 garments out of these. The only problem is I need lining for most of the garments and I just don't know what to use. I need to get through November's sewing list first, most of which involves the box of UFOs and a couple of dresses for the Summer silly season.

This is going to take a chunk of time to slog through due to too many tailored garments. It will reduce the space occupied by the stash more quickly then going through the fine cottons. I keep stalling on these garments as there is a couple of decisions I need to make, particularly regarding linings that I have no idea what to do about.

Offline Andromache

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 02:30:46 AM »
To aid in stash reduction, I just started making a spreadsheet showing all of the fabric in my stash.  Columns represent the yardage, color, fiber content, weave, pattern I intend to use, whether or not I've made a muslin, and what lining and additional fabric or notions are required.  I figure I will be more effective the more organized I get!
κτῆμά τε ἐς αἰεὶ μᾶλλον ἢ ἀγώνισμα ἐς τὸ παραχρῆμα

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 02:45:56 AM »

Carole, that is a nice shelving unit. Did it come from Ikea? It looks about 5 or 6 ft. tall. Is that about right?
  Yes, it came from Ikea, and it's about 5 feet by 5 feet.  I could use two of them, I guess.  Seems like we're all on the same page when it comes to loving fabric!

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 04:07:05 AM »
SABLE  ;D I like it and guess that I have just progressed to this stage ??? I got caught up in auction fever and purchased a large lot of fabric.  Now I have to do something about the stash!! But could not go past the linens, cottons and silks on offer.

Andromache that is so organized of you to create a spreadsheet - many moons ago I had all the stash on cards with all the details but it has way passed that stage now. :o

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 05:35:19 AM »
OK Jacs ...... I am only across the ditch from you, so to help you out, I reckon you can send me the baby pink, the smokey blue under it, in the second picture, the light blue and the purple on top of it.   I realise that we all need to help each other, so I do it out of love.  LOL :p
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 07:45:35 AM »
Oooooh Dani I did not realise you were so close - I am sure we can come to some arrangement ;) I am assured that it will all fit into the Ford Station wagon with the seats down.  This was only 2 photos of 19!!!!  All the fabric is from New York, Switzerland, England and Japan nothing from China.  I think I said that I got auction fever? I'm off to pick it up on Thursday when hubby goes back to work in Aussie.  I think I misunderstood this topic stash building rather than busting!!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:48:33 AM by Jacs »

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
This is clearly the thread to post fabric giveaways on!  Since we know you can't resist!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »
Elizabeth you are on.  But I have been searching the patterns and think I will try to make something like this

or this

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
Jacs .... its one of the reason that is seems like I am posting in the early hours of the morning to everyone else.  I am in Canberra, and have been here for just over 5 years, having originally come from Queensland.  I figure we are going to see a mountain of beautiful clothing made by you with this veritable hoard of fabric. 

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
Jacs - I'm speechless

Ruth

Offline Meg

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »
I'm in on this project!  And I propose that should any of us require fabric or notions to complete a project we ought to post our 'needs' right here - perhaps one of us could help out in the acquisition of those needs, rather than a dangerous trip to the fabric store.
Item 1:  a winter coat ~ fabric, lining, pattern from the stash

Next items require organization of patterns, fabric, and notions... which is a major task but I _will_ make this happen.  Thanks, Andromache, for starting this thread!

Offline Femme1

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
I'm definitely in.  I have a stash that will keep me going until I'm about 90 years old! I'm going to combine this sewalong with the winter 6PAC, as everything (well, almost) that I'm sewing for it is from the stash. Right now I'm working on a winter coat too. I bought the wool melton specifically for this coat, but everything else (lining, batting, shoulder pads, Thinsulate) is from the stash.

Deb

Offline prttynpnk

• Pretty Grievances
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
You know, it just occurred to me- my sewing mortality! I cannot leave my textile legacy to my wretched nieces, I must start working thru this stash so as not to leaver them anything I like more than I like them! This is serious work!  ;)

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
In starting to plan SWAP 2013, I realized that I really need to test some patterns before December 26th.  I hope I can convince myself to make all the test garments from stash!  Too often I think that I like the fabric too much to waste it on a test garment.

A friend of mine sent me a quote a little while ago.  The jist of it was that stamp collectors collect stamps and don't use them to mail letters, coin collectors collect coins and don't use them to purchase things, so why should we who collect fabric be expected to make things from our collection.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics