Author Topic: SWAP 2013 Official Rules - Note: New Deadline  (Read 33748 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
SWAP 2013 Official Rules - Note: New Deadline
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
No purchase neccesary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.  Just jump in and join the fun.

Hurricane Sandy, site outtages and a fairly wide-spread sentiment among the members has convinced me to keep this year's rules simple and uncluttered.

We'll be following JenSA's suggestion to make two 4 or 5 piece collections, with a single other garment that can be worn with both capsules. 

Each collection is either 3 tops and two bottoms, or 2 tops, 1 bottom, and 1 dress, which all form a cohesive group.  The 11th garment should be a jacket or other piece that coordinates with both collections, both in style and color.

These collections can be for different occasions, or in different colorways, or simply reflect two very different styles or images. 

There will be no requirement this year to use a particular fabric or pattern choice, no fussy print matching or need to master any new skill. 

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2013.  Muslins, pattern fitting and cutting may be started whenever you are ready.

One garment may be sewn before the official sewing start date, and one may be purchased or previously sewn.

You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be accepted. Please keep a copy of all images you upload on your hard drive in case SG's server fails or something is accidentally deleted.

The photos may be on you, on a dress form or any other way which shows them well.

You should show how you plan to combine tops and bottoms, and together should show everything. You’ll probably need to photograph some bottoms more than once.

Composites will be allowed, but only if they show details of the same outfit, e.g. a back view, a close up or the “before” photo if you are recycling. You may not show two different outfits on the same photo; such photos won’t be posted!

A single photo showing all the items together will be allowed but not required.

Please number your photos and then add a brief note to describe each one and when you plan to wear it, e.g. 1) Pink cotton Jalie top with khaki  poly/cotton BWOF pants; weekend shopping.

Details about where the photos will be sent or uploaded will be forthcoming. 

Finally, this year, the individual threads are optional.  Individuals fitting issues should be posted on the "individual projects" board: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,11.0.html so that threads in the SWAP section aren't overwhelming for the moderators.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:45:52 PM by DragonLady »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline medea

• Blog in swedish but sometimes even in english
Re: SWAP 2013 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
Thanks a lot! I have started to plan my capsules and hope there will be enough sewing time in the beginning of 2013.
http://www.provence-arles.se/pages/start_UK.html (Rent our Studio in Provence, France)

Offline leslieandrandy@shaw.ca

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
I think I must be missing something.  Two 4-piece capsules plus a jacket (or whatever) is only 9 pieces.  Is that an option?  Or, in my excitement to see the new rules, have I missed something altogether?

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
DL, sorry, the numbers don't add up:

Each collection is either 3 tops and two bottoms, or 2 tops, 1 bottom, and 1 dress, which all form a cohesive group.  The 11th garment should be a jacket or other piece that coordinates with both collections, both in style and color.

Thats 3+2 (=5) OR 2+1+1 (=4)

What's the fifth item in the "dress" collection?
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
What's the fifth item in the "dress" collection?

There is none.  It's a four or five piece collection.

And I'm expecting y'all to knock it out of the park this year. ;)

Offline clambaby

• Me and my sewing assistant
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
I am so in.

Finally a SWAP with some flexibility and simplicity. As a working person with a lot of family activity this one is doable for me. Well done Dragon Lady, particularly under the circumstances.

As to the numbers, it makes sense to me. This could be two times 4-5 collections and one bridging garment. So the total garments sewn could be 9, 10, or 11. Again more flexibility. And it will be the quality of the collections and what each needs that will make the call - no point to throw in another black pair of pants to make the count.

Do I have this right?

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
So - as much as 11 or as few as 9 pieces, if two of those pieces are dresses?  Okey-doke.

Offline twotoast

• Spotty Dog Social Club
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »
Woot!  Exciting!  I have 'lurked' for a year, and recently returned to sewing after being on a wild three or four years knitting socks  :laugh:

This will be my first SWAP here (I had a blast with my mini wardrobe on PR) - and I look forward to sewing along with you all!

twotoast
“Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”

― Coco Chanel

http://spottydogsocialclub.blogspot.ca/

Offline Karendee

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
DL,

I am so impressed with how practical these SWAP requirements are, in light of our nations' situation right now. Very well done and reasonable on your part.

Karendee

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
So - as much as 11 or as few as 9 pieces, if two of those pieces are dresses?  Okey-doke.

Yes.  But now I do expect to see some awesome collections. ;)

Offline Syndi

• What doesn't kill me-makes me stronger
    • Picasa
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »
Thank you DL for keeping it simple.  I will see what I have on hand or what I'd need in order to join in.
If you can have one item that has been made already, and you are doing the 9 piece, would that bring your sewing items down to 8? Yes? 

Offline clambaby

• Me and my sewing assistant
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
Just to clarify:

Three options of base garments:

1. Three tops, two bottoms X 2 + one bridging garment= 11

2. Three tops, two bottoms + two tops, one bottom, one dress + one bridging garment= 10

3. Two tops, one bottom, one dress  X 2 + one bridging garment= 9

Is this correct?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Just to clarify:

Three options of base garments:

1. Three tops, two bottoms X 2 + one bridging garment= 11

2. Three tops, two bottoms + two tops, one bottom, one dress + one bridging garment= 10

3. Two tops, one bottom, one dress  X 2 + one bridging garment= 9

Is this correct?

Yes.  I think everyone should be able to accomplish that, so more people can join. 

Also...if you're serious about winning, you'll have a lot of competition.  So PLAN carefully.  It's simple, but it's not going to be easy.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »
Syndi, actually you could make as few as seven, because one can be previously sewn and one can be purchased OR previously sewn.

But I guess those seven should include some pretty impressive things.

My plan (I am not serious about winning -- I'd just love to be able to ENTER) has 10 garments currently with no three-dot patterns.  Nice and easy, that's what I'm thinking.

Offline tania-gru

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
I am definitely entering, now I need to look at my stash and make some plans on what I need, what patterns to use and how to make 2 cohesive collections.
Tania

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
I like the flexibility of this plan. Thanks Dragon Lady.
What is the ruling on including a knitted or crocheted item? Not that I really need to do this to myself, but I have an idea where a knitted cardigan is the linking piece - there is some beautiful yarn I have been wanting to use.....unfortunately knitting is so much slower than sewing. Perhaps you will say no and I will have to sew something instead, much more sensible in the time frame   :D
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline ulrike

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
Yes.  I think everyone should be able to accomplish that, so more people can join. 
Also...if you're serious about winning, you'll have a lot of competition. 

Oh, I really hope there'll be lots of entries this year. I really love looking at the collections of past contests. So inspiring!
I'd love to join. But since I cannot take holidays between New Year and mid of April, it's extra challenging for me. I am looking forward anyways.
Ulrike

my blog: My me-made-year

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
Syndi, actually you could make as few as seven, because one can be previously sewn and one can be purchased OR previously sewn.

But I guess those seven should include some pretty impressive things.
That had me laughing....impressive?...I suppose it depends on who we are impressing.....ourselves or cyber friends.
I'm in the process of completing a dress that I am impressed with.  :laugh:  I actually made it with the SWAP in mind....so maybe I'll go for it.  We aren't competing with each other anyway, right? (Thinking about that whole discussion about this being competitive.  Too many excellent sewists out there- so I'll think about impressing myself  ;))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:25:57 PM by Syndi »

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Dragon Lady thank you for the rules so quickly, now to work out the plans.

Glad it is the weekend so I don't have to focus on work  ;D
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline JenCA

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
I've been lurking for a while and have been looking forward to this so I can make some clothes for me to fit this post-baby body. It seems like all I've been doing is making things for other people, now I have a needed excuse to make some things for me. Especially bottoms! Things just aren't the same where my waistline is concerned.

Thank you DL, for getting the rules up so quickly in light of all the other things you have been working on.

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »
Thank you, DL. I love the flexibility of this, before I've felt a bit tied to the rules, I don't really do T&T as like to try new patterns and rarely make the same one twice. This should suit everyone.
Lynne

Offline AsAshleyLearns

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
I don't know how far I'll make it in this, but I do like the flexibility. I have some ideas of what I want to make. I'm excited to see how it all turns out!

Offline JDol

• My new Ride....Now i need a new outfit, or 2, or 3
    • JDol's Creations
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »
Nice Rules DL - I remember when that idea entered the discussion board and I really liked it!  Count me in for sure! I started off with the Winter 6PAC to get my feet wet, so am super excited to step up to a SWAP.  I am totally up for the challenge, and even though the competition is tough out there, I will put my best needle forward.

Posted by: Sharon
« on: Today at 04:46:16 PM »
Glad it is the weekend so I don't have to focus on work 

Me too! Although I need to start my jumper this weekend   :-)

PS If you can tell me how to insert code for the quotes the way you all do with the person's name/time, I'd appreciate it :)
UPDATE-->I just found the "QUOTE" button on the right side of each post  :)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:29:03 PM by JDol »
I just love to create things artistic....I am an Arteest....
JDol's Creations   My Motorcycle Blog

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
sharon-  to insert someone's quote:  go to their post...on the top right it says insert quote...click that.  If you only want part of the quote, erase what you don't want but keep the beginning "quote" and ending "quote" words.
I too did the fall 6PAC to get a feel for a capsule.  I'll be thinking about a plan.
Fabrics can be cut before 12/26-right?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
Fabrics can be cut before 12/26-right?

Yes; absolutely.

Online RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
That had me laughing....impressive?...I suppose it depends on who we are impressing.....ourselves or cyber friends.
I'm in the process of completing a dress that I am impressed with.  :laugh:  I actually made it with the SWAP in mind....so maybe I'll go for it.  We aren't competing with each other anyway, right? (Thinking about that whole discussion about this being competitive.  Too many excellent sewists out there- so I'll think about impressing myself  ;))

SWAP IS a contest Syndi, so we are competing against each other. However if winning isn't a big deal for you, you can just enjoy the social experience of sewing along with everyone to meet the rules. That's pretty much how I approach it anyway.

I wasn't sure if I would take part this year, and I must admit I don't quite get why its ok to have some collections with only 9 pieces, but I shall go away and digest it all until it clicks.
What it does mean is we can all sew to our choice of involvement including skill level, personal style and available time and still be part of it. However the winner is likely to be someone who creates slightly more complex pieces and also photographs them really well. As an online contest judged by photos, having photography assistance makes a lot of difference.

Offline reformfabric

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
DL thanks so much for posting the rules. I am not sure whether I will be able to complete this as I am about to give birth to twins (I mean in the next few weeks not literally "about to") but I cannot wait to get out of the few tents that fit me at the moment and into some nice clothes. It seems like I will not be on my own in sewing for a post pregnancy body and I am really looking forward to seeing what ideas people have. I am already thinking I need to sew things that can be taken in easily as my shape changes.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Oh, Catherine!  Twins!  At my current 8 1/2 mo state the thought fills me with horror, although I'm sure you must be anticipating meeting them!  How nice to have someone else in similar circumstances here though.  Good luck with everything!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
As an online contest judged by photos, having photography assistance makes a lot of difference.

And this is why my husband (whom you know from various headless pictures of me) will not be involved.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
and I must admit I don't quite get why its ok to have some collections with only 9 pieces, but I shall go away and digest it all until it clicks.

I wrote it out that way for two reasons: one, to let those who claim they don't have the skills to complete eleven garments to at least try, and two, to allow those of you who can easily complete eleven to focus on making a more complex garment or two instead.  This seemed to me to take on some importance in light of the fact that some of our members will still be dealing with the aftermat of Sandy long after the sewing time has begun.

I'm not trying to make it less fair by making some of you come up with eleven while others skate with nine; rather I'm trying to accomodate those who otherwise wouldn't be able to enter at all.

Offline JDol

• My new Ride....Now i need a new outfit, or 2, or 3
    • JDol's Creations
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »
Oh My... I just peeked at the SWAP 2012 photos... They look like they are straight out of a quality fashion magazine--- I sure don't know if I can sew at that level of incredible work - I'm really going to have to step it up a few notches to compete!.  OOh I'm nervous... :-\  but only in a "I'm gonna have a blast" kind of way. :)
I just love to create things artistic....I am an Arteest....
JDol's Creations   My Motorcycle Blog

Offline leslieandrandy@shaw.ca

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  The rules look great!  I've tried to do a SWAP several times before without much success, but I'm very excited and hopeful about this.  And I know it's a contest, but if I finish I'll consider myself a winner!

Online RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
DragonLady thanks for explaining!
I cannot begin to imagine the devastation people are having to deal with from Sandy.

My aim is to have a jacket rather than a cardigan and have it actually fit reasonably well, beyond that I'm not currently clear at all.
I have a Christmas Market next Saturday and have been trying to prep for that whilst changing jobs again.
I must admit that my new life although better does have less sewing time in it and that may impact SWAP. Sure I can sew 9, 10 or 11 garments, but indeed perhaps can challenge myself a little on complexity, professional finish etc.

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 12:35:38 AM »
I like that the rules are flexible enough to encourage people to join in who might not have otherwise.  I was reading a wardrobe planning book by Louise Cutting this week.  Almost all of her bottoms are one seam pants [of course it's her pattern!]  Who knows I may include some in my SWAP because they are quick and easy to make as well as versatile. 

I am wondering about the tops though and thinking about layering possibilities.  The (9th, 10th or) 11th garment can clearly be a layer but do the other tops have to be worn on their own?  In a 2 bottom plus 3 tops, I was wondering if the 3rd top could be a layering piece which might not be worn on its own. 

The other thing I was wondering was if the cross-over garment could be another top which goes with all the bottoms but is not worn with any of the other tops.  I suspect not but DL could you please confirm that this is correct?

Offline Syndi

• Picasa
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
some good questions, Susan.  I was also thinking if a cardigan or something like that, is considered a top- but can't be worn alone. 
@Ruthie-- well okey doekey....contest it is.   :)

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics