Author Topic: Help! I Cut Fabric Wrong Sides together! :-(  (Read 2896 times)

Offline JDol

• My new Ride....Now i need a new outfit, or 2, or 3
    • JDol's Creations
Help! I Cut Fabric Wrong Sides together! :-(
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
Can't believe it finally happened to me! :faintthud:  Thing is, I don't know if I can salvage my skirt? or is it ruined before i start? Have you ever done it? Shall I venture on, or go buy new yardage?   :-\  Help!
I just love to create things artistic....I am an Arteest....
JDol's Creations   My Motorcycle Blog

Zalin

Re: Help! I Cut Fabric Wrong Sides together! :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
It doesn't matter. You can cut your fabric wrong sides together or right sides together. Just be consistent and make sure you have a left sleeve and a right sleeve or a left front and a right front, etc.

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
Phew!... Thanks Zalin....Panic for nothing...  Thanks!!!  I finished cutting everything the same way... The pieces all looked OK, but never having done it before, you never know :)

Zalin

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Haha! I have always cut with right sides together and the first time I cut wrong sides together I had to really think about it. I knew it didn't matter, but I was very conscious of it. :)

If your fabric looks the same on both sides, you can mark the wrong sides with sticky dots or something that will wash off to help you remember. HTH

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »
It helps!  Thanks!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
I actually never figured out why the routine recommendation is to cut the fabric right sides together. I seldom cut out fabric that way. For one thing, I want to be able to clearly see where the motifs of certain prints fall onto the pattern or exactly where a stripe or plaid is. With the right side out, especially for fabrics that are not yarn-dyed, those colors and images are crisper and easier to see. Sure, I have to ensure that the prints/plaids on the lower layer are well-placed also, but I often check that or align plaids/stripes carefully before putting the pattern on the fabric layers in the first place.

Supposedly, the logic behind cutting fabrics with right sides together is because it's easier to mark (really? with tailor's tacks why should it make a difference, and with tracing paper, it's more cumbersome) and because with the right sides together with some pieces, they may be already in a position to sew (really? how often does this occur in a single garment?).

I hope someone who is a wiser sewist than I can point out the advantage to cutting out fabric with the right sides together. I know there must be a good reason for it or else it would not be a recommendation in almost every basic sewing guide I've ever come across.

Kathryn

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:44:16 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
I usually cut napped fabric wrong side together, as the pile tends to stick together
Lynnette

Offline vwgrant

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »
I'm a "right sides out" girl for all the reasons Kathryn states. I like that right side up/out so I can feel the nap of fabric--it's amazing to me how subtle that can be  and how often I can reverse the nap orientations in the pattern lay out process. There's always a lot of fabric petting when I am cutting. (For those new to this concept, the nap "pets downward"  top to bottom of a garment) Nap shows up in a lot of fabrics beyond velvet or corduroy--I nearly committed fabric murder on  cashmere but thankfully, thought to think one more time before taking scissors to fabric.

I've gotten skunked on rib knits where I've reversed left to right/top to bottom and the light reflects differently with the nap orientation--that one I could see but could not feel.

The other thing with right sides out--prints often have a subtle "up-ness" and "down-ness" to the print orientation itself and keeping it up where I can see it, I'm less likely to sew my florals upside down.

I'm not sure how 'right sides together' is the 'right way' came to be--I know I was taught that way from home economics class a million years ago, but figured out the other way with experience.

Offline aisling

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:51 AM »
I usually cut wrong sides together, when I'm not using a single layout cut. I usually prefer to cut out on a single layer as I lke the control it gives and the fact that I can squish the pieces together more.  I always make sure whatever surface I am cutting on is scrupulously clean so as not to get marks on the fabric and store cut pieces in a calico bag so nothing can mark the fabric after being cut out.

Offline sewenticing

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »
If I remember right from home ec years ago the point of right sides together is for easier marking. I usually cut wrong sides together right sides up for all the same reasons stated. Matching is too difficult if you can't clearly see the pattern.

Sonya

Zalin

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 01:17:06 AM »
I don't think cutting fabric right sides together is the "right" way. It's just the way I learned and it has remained a habit. It really doesn't matter. I cut prints and patterns single layer so that I can see how they will appear on my body and for matching. Even right side out you can't see a fabric print if it's face down on the table. :) Unless you are Superman.  ;D

Offline Ann C

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
I don't think it would make any difference unless you had something that was assymetrical with a definitely different right side and left side at which time you would be completely opposite to what it should be.  I remember doing that one time - can't remember what it was now - but that could be one place where it would matter.  I usually cut with right side out as I find it easier to mark darts, etc. that way.  As someone else mentioned - if it has nap, I probably would put the nap inside.

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Wow - I really learned so much by reading all these comments...Fabulous! You gals are magnificent :)

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
I don't think it would make any difference unless you had something that was assymetrical with a definitely different right side and left side at which time you would be completely opposite to what it should be.  I remember doing that one time - can't remember what it was now - but that could be one place where it would matter.  I usually cut with right side out as I find it easier to mark darts, etc. that way.  As someone else mentioned - if it has nap, I probably would put the nap inside.

Ann, you're right about paying attention to which side of the fabric an asymmetric pattern piece is placed on. For sure that's the time to follow the pattern layout to a "T".

With napped fabrics, I place them right side out like vw grant does l so I can watch the direction of the nap more closely to make sure I'm placing my pieces in the correct direction.

And as Zalin points out, there are always times when the very best solution is to cut the pattern out single layer. Sometimes this is a pain, literally, since wider fabrics spill over the edges of my cutting table and therefore must be cut on the floor. Oh my knees and back! ;D ;D ;D

As with all things in sewing, there are no hard and fast rules, but some techniques are just a darn good idea.

Kathryn

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
Burda Style always recommends cutting with right sides together, and I never could figure out why. Must be some sort of  European thing. My home ec teacher would be miffed.

Offline tania-gru

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »
I think that might be because of tracing paper and wheel method of transferring marks to the fabric. If the right sides are together, then the markings land on the wrong side and if the wash does not get them out completely, then they should, in not see through fabric, not be seen.
Tania

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
I use double-sided tracing paper (or fold single sided paper in half) and slip it in between the two layers of fabric which are placed right side out. Then I make my tracing wheel marks. It's much easier for me to mark fabric this way than having tracing paper on the top and on the bottom of the fabric folded right-side in, especially for thicker fabrics where there might be slight slippage between the layers.

Kathryn

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
Cutting right sides together can help protect delicate fabrics from dirt, snags, etc.  also if you tailor tack, if you've cut this way the tufts are on the right side and easier to remove while the stitches are on the wrong side and easier to match.  If you mark with chalk or pen right sides together is also easier.  I'm not consistent but if I remember I do it right sides together.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
Oh! I just thought of something I cut with the wrong side up: faux fur, but I cut that single layer with a razor blade through the backing only.

Kathryn

Offline FrancesGrimble

• Books on making historic clothing
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
Can't believe it finally happened to me! :faintthud:  Thing is, I don't know if I can salvage my skirt? or is it ruined before i start? Have you ever done it? Shall I venture on, or go buy new yardage?   :-\  Help!

I've sewn for decades and I don't think I've ever, once, cut fabric right sides together.

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
I'm glad I can laugh at myself now! :rotfl: How absolutely careful I've been all this time! Now to find out how tried and true sewers do it!  I'm so glad this happened and I can learn this super info!

Offline Karla

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »
I like to cut with the wrong sides together, right side out, so I can admire the fabric while I'm working.  ::)   To mark dots and darts, I stab a pin through both layers of fabric at the appropriate point, peel back the top layer use a marking pencil to make a dot where the pin is.   That way, I can mark both layers at the same time, and the mark is on the wrong side of the fabric.   

I vaguely remember old, loving-hands-at-home, bad home ec class rules about cutting with right sides together, and I guess I always assumed that it was to keep the fabric clean or something.   

Offline WendyW

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »
I don't think it would make any difference unless you had something that was assymetrical with a definitely different right side and left side at which time you would be completely opposite to what it should be.

Even then it probably won't REALLY matter. Does it really make a difference which side laps over which? You'd just have to be aware as you're reading your instructions that you need to mentally switch right/left. I know that traditionally there is a correct way to button male/female shirts, but enough ladies wear men's shirts that I don't think any girl would care. My husband would care though. I once made this mistake on one of his shirts and he refused to wear a "girl's" shirt.

I vaguely remember old, loving-hands-at-home, bad home ec class rules about cutting with right sides together, and I guess I always assumed that it was to keep the fabric clean or something.   

I always figured it was because it came off the bolt that way. Now they are usually folded right side out; I guess the store personnel got tired of flipping the fabric where it could be seen.
Homeschool Mom and lifetime lover of sewing and crafts.

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »
Have you ever done it?

I am glad that everything is working out okay with the fabric.   Been there, done that.  If there is a mistake that can be made in sewing, I have made it.

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
In my recent sewing projects it's been really difficult to tell the right from the wrong side of the fabric and I'm sure I've flipped a piece over here and there! But I figure if I can't tell the difference with detailed scrutiny then Joe Public won't either.

It's only important to cut right side up when the pattern is asymmetrical. I've done this before with the wrong side up and the openings that should have been on the left were on the right and I had to reverse all the pattern instructions.

It makes sense - right sides together protects the fabric and lets you mark with chalk.
But wrong sides together lets you see the pattern for matching and admiring.

I think each project may require a different cutting technique.
Good luck JDol with your sewing anyway. I'm sure it will be fine.
Ruth

Offline kathyann

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
One advantage of picking one way to fold the fabric for cutting and consistently doing it that way: you only have to figure out once which is the front side  ;D  Before I take the pattern off the fabric I almost always chalk a big F, B, or X on the wrong side of each piece to help keep track.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
Cutting right sides together can help protect delicate fabrics from dirt, snags, etc.  also if you tailor tack, if you've cut this way the tufts are on the right side and easier to remove while the stitches are on the wrong side and easier to match.  If you mark with chalk or pen right sides together is also easier.  I'm not consistent but if I remember I do it right sides together.
I always cut right sides together for the reasons Elizabeth says - and pattern and right side up for single layer.  On plain fabrics I chalk mark a X on the wrong side of each before separating the layers.
I rarely use carbon, but if I do, it means I don't have to remove the pattern before marking the first layer. Slipping the carbon between the layers can be less accurate especially if there ius a pattern to match.

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »
I was also going to mention that if I do use carbon (rarely these days) I end up perforating it if I put it between the layers.  I prefer to mark the bottom layer, flip, and then mark the top.  Kathryn clearly has a secret.

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
While we're discussing cutting and marking, I pin the fabric close to the dart markings during the cutting out stage. This keeps the fabric and pattern close together when it is being handled between the cutting out and marking phases.  Delicate fabric need to be pinned within the dart allowance.
Lynnette

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
Elizabeth, I have some wax-free tracing paper that I've used for over 20 years. It has lines on it but it does not shred. No magic--just a good product, more than likely.  :thumbsup:

I suspect our bias toward right side/wrong side out when cutting two layers of fabric has a lot to do with convenience and preference. I have no problems with marking accuracy either with tailor's tacks or wax-free tracing paper with the fabric laid out wrong sides together, and I routinely wipe down my cutting mat--at least once a week, so dirt/dust is not an issue when the right side of the fabric is against the cutting mat. If I had problems with either of those, I would probably make myself reconsider my fabric layout preference. In the meanwhile, the method I use works fine for me. :)

Kathryn

Offline FrancesGrimble

• Books on making historic clothing
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
One thing that hasn't been pointed out is that especially if you are a new sewer, this is your excuse to buy extra fabric. (If you are an old sewer, you already have a file folder or entire database stuffed with excuses to buy fabric.)  If you cut two sleeves for the same arm, or something similar, if you have extra fabric you can just re-cut the piece.  It's when you don't have extra fabric that such mistakes are really annoying.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:45:10 PM by FrancesGrimble »

Zalin

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
I suspect our bias toward right side/wrong side out when cutting two layers of fabric has a lot to do with convenience and preference.

I agree with you again, Kathryn. I wanted to add that in my case, it's also just habit. When I store my fabric, I store it folded wrong-side out. I fold back an end so the right side shows while it's stored (I can still see what it is), but the rest is protected from sunlight and dust. When I pull it out of storage for use, I don't refold the entire piece unless I have to. It's already folded right side in and I just work with it that way because I am used to doing it that way.

I repeat, it doesn't really matter. Ann C did point out the issues with two different pieces for fronts, but that's a special situation and each piece would be cut separately anyway.

You know, I'm not married to the idea of cutting my fabric wrong-side out. If the fabric were right side out when it landed on my cutting table, I would cut it that way. I don't think it's easier to mark darts, dots, or notches one way more than the other.  I just do it the way I do it, because that's the way I've always done it. Habit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »
I routinely wipe down my cutting mat--at least once a week, so dirt/dust is not an issue when the right side of the fabric is against the cutting mat.

Kathryn, absolutely the product you use for marking will influence you -- I quoted the above because I don't have a full-sized cutting mat on a table - so even now I sometimes cut on the floor and that makes me very wary of dirt.  But I have still cut plenty of pieces right sides out!

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
I cut out on the floor. I have 2 fold out cutting mats which I place on the floor side by side or end to end as needed. To me this seems more practical than a table. Am I alone in this?
Lynnette

Offline Karla

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
Yeah, I used to use the floor, too, back in my youth.    The paramedics have asked me not to do that, anymore. 

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics