Author Topic: 2012-13 Winter 6PAC (6 Pieces, Amazing Clothing) Sew-Along (Nov.-Jan.)  (Read 50698 times)

Offline Garden Girl

Winter 6PAC time is here!

I couldn't wait any longer! I've waited and waited, but so many of you are done with Autumn, ejvc is so busy right now, and today someone mentioned Winter 6 PAC coming soon, then all the SWAP talk!!!!! So I caved in.

What is this 6PAC of which you speak? An often well thought out group of 6 garments to form a go-to core for your wardrobe. Sometimes less thought out because someone can't wait to start sewing. Originally in Autumn, hence 6 Piece Autumn Collection. Kind of goofy the rest of the year, but it stuck. You'll notice I referred to this as 6 Pieces, Amazing Clothing. Because I know that's what you'll make.

What are the Rules? No Rules. Just really strong suggestions, so you get the most use out of what you make.  Use the suggestions you like, file the rest for some other time. This is a Sew Along, not a contest or competition. No purchase needed, unless you need items to finish your set.

Winter? It's only October! I know! It's still in the 90's here. The 6PAC's start a month or so before the season to give you time to finish garments before you need them. Clever, right?

Any new twist this time? Glad you asked. Yes! Elizabeth likes to say "Gorgeous but dull is our motto." Usually you are encouraged to sew a bunch of boring workhorse neutrals.  Black, gray, navy, cream, taaaaannn....Sorry! I dozed off for a moment. Feel free to stick to really boring neutrals; they can be useful. But this is Winter! It's drab enough! I will encourage you to consider a bit more color, so the snow plows and truck drivers can see you! Not clown bright, unless that suits you, but maybe a blue brighter than navy, a red or burgundy, a green other than olive, or just a brighter shade of olive. Use a plaid or a herringbone. You still make basic workhorse garments but with a little more color punch.

Here is an early post from ejvc to give you a foundation on Seasonal Sewing Collections.

Here is the original suggested list for winter:
WINTER
Trousers (dark neutral)
2 Tops (1 to match, 1 to complement)
2 layering tops/cardigans/jackets (1 to match, 1 to complement)
Coat (dark netural)

So, what am I supposed to be doing?  You are sewing 6 garments that work together and fit your life and your climate.  You are picking pieces that can become workhorses for you, in your life. Obviously if you are a Massage Therapist in a seaside resort your selections will be very different from a NYC Corporate Attorney. Just choose garments, patterns and fabrics that are worth your time and talent- things that will last, if you want them to. That way you really get a big reward from this type of sewing.

You might not need a coat. If it's Summer coming on in your area, sew for Summer. Depending on how extensive your wearable wardrobe is, you might go for another bottom piece and drop one of the layering pieces. If 6 is too much, make an outfit, say pants, top, and a nice vest or jacket. If time allows, make a 2nd 2 piece outfit and see if you can't just get them to work together.

Use this thread to post ideas, questions, cheer on one another. You know the drill!! I'm sure I've left out something key, but I needed to get the ball rolling.

Happy Sewing!!!

Rene

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
Re: 2012-13 Winter 6PAC (6 Pieces, Amazing Clothing) Sew-Along (Nov.-Jan.)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:16 AM »
I never end up with a full 6PAC but always sew a garment or two.  A bright blue cord skirt is looking like a good addition to the wardrobe once I get through some chocolate basics for Fall...
My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline sewenticing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »
 I totally am going to do this one. I really fell apart for the Autumn 6PAC the planning and the deciding on the direction I wanted to take my wardrobe overtook my sewing.

I have everything I need now and it will work as a winter wardrobe as well.  I think it will be a winterpac/lagenpac with a bit of lagenlook and classics.  I am thinking kind of like Eileen Fisher meets boho with a 40's retro dress thrown in for Christmas festivities.

I have to say this forum is really opening my eyes to what I can do. I am loving it, even if I do get bogged down with the planning.

Sonya

Offline AsAshleyLearns

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
I'm excited to join in!

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
Well I was suprised to see this, but how fantastic, Rene has done the hard work for me!

I obviously have planned my winter sewing.  This is a difficult time for me, because Baby is due on Nov 11th and therefore there will be dramatic and unforeseeable changes to my body over the period.  Do I care? No!  I press on!

My colours are NOT blue, brown, plum, or pink.  Have eliminated all the usual suspects in my wardrobe, what am I left with?

I am sewing BLACK (you read it here), charcoal, and dark teal!  OK, for the rest of you it is boring.  But not for meeeeeee!

1. Coat - black and charcoal cashmere coat (fabric ordered, considering pattern)
2. Jacket/layer -- dark teal knit cardigan (fabric and pattern in my hot little hands)
3. Shirt/layer -- dark teal satin shirt, with ruffles (pattern in my hands, fabric sourced)
4. Trousers -- Black stretch wool  "Japanese lantern" trousers from a Marci Tilton pattern -- these have elastic in the back waist which should help with figure changes -- (pattern here, no fabric as yet)
5. Top - teal/charcoal/black ruched bust t (pattern here, fabric sourced)
6. Top - black turtleneck (pattern here, no fabric as yet)

The black pieces make an "inner column"
The dark teal pieces make an "accent set"
The print T makes a "link"
The coat is -- really warm
I have a charcoal wrap and a pair of charcoal trousers piped with black planned too.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Femme1

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
The black pieces make an "inner column"
The dark teal pieces make an "accent set"
The print T makes a "link"

Elizabeth, this is perfect!  It's pretty much how much of my wardrobe works now, but I've never seen it put so succinctly. I usually like to have a dark (black) inner column (pants and turtleneck top) and wear colorful overshirts or jackets. I also often wear scarves.

I just may have to join in this 6PAC---I already have a couple of pieces planned (and have the fabric already), so it wouldn't take too much to come up with some matching pieces. My main colors are olive for the neutral, rust for the accent, with a black/cream/rust/olive print. I just ordered some nice thick wool in a pumpkin/rust color for a coat, so that will also work as part of the 6PAC. I'll probably also add a scarf that will be an accent for the different combinations.

I need to start planning my sewing this way, instead of just doing separate pieces and hoping they'll fit in somehow. Thanks for the impetus! And I've seen some of the folks on here do some interesting photo collages of their 6PACS. I just may have to try that.

Deb
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:51:17 PM by Femme1 »

Offline Karendee

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
Elizabeth, I love these color choices for you. You will look beautiful in the black , charcoal and dk. teal.

Karendee

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
As usual, I will be the rebel in the group.  Last time I sewed tennis skirts with matching panties.  This time I've discovered a pattern set that I like very much:  Style Arc's Gorgeous Gore skirt paired with a McCall's tee.  I just finished the two in a black and white knit covered with holographic sequins.  Together they make a nice dance dress!  So I figure I can make three more of these sets, easy.  Each tee will go with it's skirt, but very few will go with a different set.  But I don't care, and I seriously doubt that you do!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
Always so fun to see what you sew, Carole!!  Glad to have the dance ensembles here.

Offline AsAshleyLearns

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Well I'm already starting on my winter coat which isn't entirely necessary in Texas but should be fun.

I'm also on the lookout for a great wide leg trouser pattern.

I have a few wraps and a winter dress or two planned.

Not sure how they'll really fit into the 6PAC but we'll see.

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:27 AM »
I am in on this one!  Since January, I have been working on pant and tee pattern fitting and am finally ready to get a 6PAC done.  I have 2 possibilities and will decide a bit later which way I will go.  First: Brown travel fabric TSW Mimosa Pants; brown Eileen Fisher knit Peggy Sagers Yoga Pants; Teal, orange, brown black knit print tee, brown, red, tan knit tee; teal, brown, tan knit tee and tan Wool Cashmere L H Sweater.  The Tees will probably be the CJ e-cowl, PS Ann's tee and PS Dana top.

My other possibility is: Black CJ ITY knit pants; black microfiber pant; Black, teal, blue knit print tee, teal CJ Funnel neck top from Travel Trio Two; wild multi print PS Georgio top and a black ribbed sweater knit LH Biarittz tweak.

I do believe teal seems to be the dominant color.  I am inclined to go with the brown to start.  Am working on serious 'stash reduction!'

Thanks for letting me join, I have tried before but lack of TNT patterns has always kept me from completion.

Karleene

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
I've just begun to consider winter sewing.  This last month,  I concentrated on refitting pants patterns and basic tops (T-shirts Blouses and the like). I do know that my sweaters are just about nonexistent.  I like to have a number of sweaters for winter.  I seem to feel the cold more than DH.  A sweater evens up the heat-factor so he doesn't have to feel too hot and I don't have to feel cold. I will be knitting.  There are so many wonderful sweater knits available.  Unfortunately, my yarn stash is about as big as my fabric stash so I need to knit.  Normally when we're talking about the sew-a-long we don't mention accessories but I also looked at my shoes and decided I need to replace a few of those and at least one purse.  Most have just arrived at the end of their life cycle, but I also bought shoes last year that turned out to be uncomfortable when worn for extended periods. I also need to replace one coat this year.  Not a long coat but a car-coat length.  Ummm I still need to think about this before committing to any sewing but yeah, I'm in.

Offline neufy

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:51:53 AM »
I think I will play too.  I have threatened to join many times and never made it.

I am considering making my 6 pac for winter a Coordinating set of night clothes.  With a really really special housecoat instead of a coat.  I have always thought of doing this because this is where my wardrobe really falls down on the job.  How can someone with such nice taste in clothes be satisfied with PJ's with holes?  That is my question to myself.  Cozy flannel pjs and sexy nightgowns is what I crave right now.

That is my plan right now.  Elaine

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
I've just begun to consider winter sewing.  This last month,  I concentrated on refitting pants patterns and basic tops (T-shirts Blouses and the like). I do know that my sweaters are just about nonexistent.  I like to have a number of sweaters for winter.  I seem to feel the cold more than DH.  A sweater evens up the heat-factor so he doesn't have to feel too hot and I don't have to feel cold. I will be knitting.  There are so many wonderful sweater knits available.  Unfortunately, my yarn stash is about as big as my fabric stash so I need to knit.  Normally when we're talking about the sew-a-long we don't mention accessories but I also looked at my shoes and decided I need to replace a few of those and at least one purse.  Most have just arrived at the end of their life cycle, but I also bought shoes last year that turned out to be uncomfortable when worn for extended periods. I also need to replace one coat this year.  Not a long coat but a car-coat length.  Ummm I still need to think about this before committing to any sewing but yeah, I'm in.

In the fall/winter Burda Plus, there were 2 patterns using sweater knits.  The interesting thing was that they unravelled some of the yarn from the sweater knit and then either knit or crocheted (I can't remember which) an edge instead of turning hems.  I think I'd like to try this.

My yarn stash is growing too as there are so many yummy yarns available now.  Since I returned to knitting after repetative strain issues, I've done scarves, wraps and hats but no sweaters.  Perhaps it's time I tackled a sweater now that I have some better ideas about how to fit one.

I'm planning on participating this time too.  I'm working on Connie Crawfords SC1201 http://www.fashionpatterns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=137 which I am hoping will lead me to some great fitting blouses.

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »

How can someone with such nice taste in clothes be satisfied with PJ's with holes?  That is my question to myself.
   Hmmm, now that you mention it, that sounds like me!  It's an idea for my next six pac.

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
I saw that too -- they are picking up stitches and just casting off in one pattern I looked at.  That's a very nice way to finish a bulkier knit.  I suppose (?) if you unravelled and felt like it you could crochet edges and things like that as well.  Might be a way to make give the machine knits a higher-end finish.

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
I'd love to join and continue my plan hopefully finishing before the end of summer.  I also have to get a travel wardrobe together as we are off to Aussie for Xmas and then I go to England in June 2013 to visit my dad.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »
I never got around to the Autumn 6PAC (although in my case it would have been a 4PAC) due to too much traveling and not having the correct pattern to match my fabric yardage-wise.  But I have no plans to go anywhere until March as there's no place I'd rather be than Phoenix in the winter so I'm going to try a little harder to do a winter 6pac with black as my neutral and prints for the tops.  I'm planning to sew only from my stash so I have to be flexible.  I'd like to make two bottoms (pair of pants and a skirt) along with four tops.  I'm not sure that I'll be able to make a cardigan/jacket from my existing stash. 

Offline Craftmomma55

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 03:28:52 AM »
I think I will play too.  I have threatened to join many times and never made it.

I am considering making my 6 pac for winter a Coordinating set of night clothes.  With a really really special housecoat instead of a coat.  I have always thought of doing this because this is where my wardrobe really falls down on the job.  How can someone with such nice taste in clothes be satisfied with PJ's with holes?  That is my question to myself.  Cozy flannel pjs and sexy nightgowns is what I crave right now.

That is my plan right now.  Elaine

Funny, I was thinking the same thing!  at first, I was thinking that I wouldn't have time to do a 6-PAC as I will be too busy sewing for Christmas.  but then it occurred to my why not make Christmas and 6-PAC one and the same.  I was already planning to make my daughter a pair of pajamas and a bathrobe for Christmas, so I think I'll just expand on that theme.  Here's what I'm thinking:

2 prs pajamas, one with long pants and long sleeves and one with shorts and tank top.  I found some great coordinating flannels and cottons based on How the Grinch Stole Christmas at fabric.com

1 long robe in green minky fabric.  I found a pattern at Simplicity that is like a floor length hoodie.

Slippers to match the Jammie's, lined with the minky.

Bath wrap and hair wrap from green terry.

My daughter is 19 and loves both green and the grinch, so I think she'll really like it.
The only time housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
All my fabric is ordered now, and I have all the patterns, so I'll start sewing this pretty soon.  I'm finishing an "easy coat" first, and then I may make a dress for Charlotte.

easy patterns: black top, printed top
moderate patterns: satin blouse, black trousers, bulky knit cardigan, coat

I'd like more easy patterns and fewer moderate patterns, but because I have to refit things post pregnancy its harder to do that.

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
I have something of a plan, but a jacket that was gifted yesterday has added a piece and a question. 
But first the plan:

Bottoms:
Blue cord skirt
black pencil skirt(nice enough for church and nights out)
alter both pairs of grey pants

Tops:
Green knit top
white knit top
red/white crosshatch woven top

Dresses:
red or blue sheath from a beefy knit
alter grey and purple tweed

Now for the questions...
Do I have to have a jacket? I feel there are several in my wardrobe that would work with all the pieces I want to make...
And does anyone have a recommendation for a good pattern for a ponte knit or similar? Do I treat it like a stretch woven?
What about a good source to buy a nice one from?

My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline Lisanne

• southern England
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Do I have to have a jacket? I feel there are several in my wardrobe that would work with all the pieces I want to make...

The happy advantage of the 6PACs is there are no rules.  The guidelines are just suggestions.  If you follow them you'll end the year with a marvellous wardrobe of 24 co-ordinates, but I don't know if anyone has actually done that in all the years this has been running ! 
Important thing is to expand your usable outfits by making things you love to wear  ;D
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
Do I have to have a jacket? I feel there are several in my wardrobe that would work with all the pieces I want to make......
I have jackets in basic colors and continue to count them as part of my new 6PAC IOW if the jacket in the closet works, I count it as done.

Offline medea

• Blog in swedish but sometimes even in english
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
I will join this 6pac and hope I will get some done. Just for now I'm really stucked for Fashion Mixology and think I will try to make a mini wardrobe with that in mind.
Don't know exactly what to sew but after our visit in Paris next week I think I can tell you more.

But to think of what I can make...
Trousers (dark neutral) Don't use trousers at all so there must be a skirt instead.
2 Tops (1 to match, 1 to complement)  Think I will make one top and one dress
2 layering tops/cardigans/jackets (1 to match, 1 to complement)  Let's see if there can be a tailored jacket...
Coat (dark neutral) I really want to sew a amfora coat from Ottobre 5/2010. (mod 15 Sherri)
http://www.provence-arles.se/pages/start_UK.html (Rent our Studio in Provence, France)

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »
I would love to give this a go and as I am in the Southern Hemisphere, I will be sewing for Summer.

SUMMER
Dress
Skirt (accent colour)
3 blouses/tops (1 to match skirt, 2 to complement)
1 light layering top/cardigan

It is the light layering top/cardigan that throws a spanner in the 2 different colour ways  that I have been playing with so far.  Does any one have any ideas for the following?

Brown version:
Dress:  brown/burnt orange/cream knit
Skirt:  brown linen
3 blouses/tops - brown linen, burnt orange linen, yellow woven top with ruffle.
1 cardigan - brown jersey  ??? this works, but for summer?

Burnt Orange
Dress:  brown/burnt orange/cream knit
Skirt: burnt orange linen
3 blouses/tops - brown linen, burnt orange linen, floral voile
1 cardigan:  ???

On either set I could take out the floral voile/yellow top and make a coffee knit top and cardigan, is that too boring?

As I am petite, I don't like to have too many colour changes on my frame and a lighter bottom is not a good look either however the burnt orange will work but I don't have enough of this for 3 pieces e.g. skirt, jacket and top.

Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »
Sharon - I don't know if you are trying to use all stash fabrics, but if not, what came to my mind when I read your plans was what about a cream colored cardigan, or perhaps a lighter brown like cafe-au-lait? If you found the right kind of lacey/openwork fabric, it would work well with all your other garments...

Maybe something like this lace from Marcy Tilton "brown lace"
or this cream knit from Emma One Sock "linen/cotton knit"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:45:58 AM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline sewenticing

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 03:54:49 AM »
I almost have a plan I am focusing on easy basic pieces all black. Black 3/4 sleeve t-shirt that I started tonight from Meg McElwee knits class on craftsy  a black jacket Vogue 8839 Marci Tilton out of ponte de roma and a pair of pants and skirt from Simplicity 2195 Khalia Ali Collecton also out of the black ponte.  I have a nice piece of patterned mesh that is black and white that I will probably make another Jacket/overshirt from Silhouette 112 5 way top. If I get all that done I will make a short sleeve t-shirt in a cream cotton rayon jersey knit. I can't believe I acutally have a plan with patterns and fabric ready to go.

Sonya

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:43 AM »
indigotiger, thank you for the suggestions, and your link to the lace from Marcy Tilton reminded me I have a fine lace knit at home (now to find it) that might be just perfect for a lightweight summery cardigan.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline Garden Girl

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »
You all rock!

Sharon, I immediately thought cream cardigan too.

Craftmomma- I want the Grinch Jammies too! The minkie Grinch green hoodie robe-perfect! Did you get the Grinch fabrics yet? They are on sale through the 22.

More later!

Rene

Offline JDol

• My new Ride....Now i need a new outfit, or 2, or 3
    • JDol's Creations
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
Okay Ladies and Gents - (James SewSews)  :o
I'm new to the forum, and I think I'm going to like it here.  I read up on the SWAP thread, then found this one, count me in!  This is the perfect motivation to get my needle going on some of those ideas I get stalled on.
I am already making 2 Ravens Jackets (Baltimore Ravens) (Check the first one out http://jdol901.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-ravens-jacket-1.html)  via Embroidery onto blank jackets, so since that might not count here, and I want to get these other pieces into my wardrobe anyway, I will count out the coat from the winter list, and go with the list here:
(4) Turtlenecks (desperately needed!) - still need pattern and fabric for all 4... and will modify to include extra long sleeves and cuffs!
    1-Burgundy, 1-cream, 1-b&w fashion knit, 1-purple/mauve fashion knit
(1) Black Corduroy Skirt/jumper - I need fabric, but will merge two patterns together to make this item. (the top of an overalls pattern and a great skirt pattern.) Might work well, and might be a trainwreck!!!  ;D
(1) Knit Jumpsuit - have pattern and fabric - (for a year now!) This might not necessarily intermingle with the rest, but the 6PAC is incentive to get'er done!
ALTERNATE: (1) Red Corduroy Overalls.  Have pattern and fabric (TNT).

This may veer off the list path, but these will get me some good staples that I desperately need!!!!  I like the tips that were posted for how to approach this endeavour and you guys all have great lists, and I saw some of your pics/blogs.  It will be nice meeting you all.

Cheers!
I just love to create things artistic....I am an Arteest....
JDol's Creations   My Motorcycle Blog

Offline KayoticSewing

• Toronto, Canada
    • Gently down the seam
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »
I will join in too! Here's my plan:

-  3 pair of pants  (Black, charcoal grey, tbd*)
-  3 knit tops (Teal, pink, Maroon OR Royal blue)

*to be determined

I have enrolled in a pants class for November, so with that hand holding, I think I can do this 6 PAC. Plus the very fact that with my recent weight gain, I can't seem to find ANY RTW pants to fit me is great motivation by itself. ;)

The pattern to use for pants - well, all 3 pairs of pants will be done using the same pattern.  I'd like to try Burda 8 / 2006 - 112A simple trousers with contour waistband and straight legs from with fly front. Straight waistbands don't work for my ample butt. The pants class uses Kwiksew 3363. But after reading about  the crotch curves of Burda vs Kwiksew, I want to talk to my instructor about me using  the Burda pattern (which will be traced out much before the class).

All 3 tops will be from same pattern with variations in sleeve / neckline. It will be one of these:
- an Ottobre 2/2007 pattern for simple 3/4 sleeved T-shirt with scoop neckline
- a very similar Burda pattern
- Jalie 2005 which has already been traced out in size V.

The whole idea of me joining this 6PAC to come up with a  TNT pattern for knit top and for a pair of pants. So I'll be doing plenty of muslins. :)

And yes, All fabrics will come from stash.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:58:11 PM by KayoticSewing »
- Kay

A beginner sewista trying to find her way ...
http://gentlydowntheseam.blogspot.com/

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
Me Again,
Update,
The turtleneck pattern is on the way, Got one from StitchySpot on Etsy. KwikSew #2900, view A.  Now I can spend the weekend seeing how my two patterns of the skirt and overalls will blend for the jumper, and also take a trip to Jo Ann's to look for the knits for the turtlenecks! (or surf Fabric.com!) :D

Is there a target "finish by" date for the 6 PAC? I'm good when I have a goal, I guess I can pick a date, but this is my 1st anyPAC so just curious.
Thanks!

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »
J-Dol - welcome to the wonderful world of 6PAC! I have successfully made overall jumpers for myself in the past, and am intending to make one for this wardrobe as well.

I have used two different approaches: one time I started with my regular overall pattern, and kind of blended the pants part together, then added triangular gores to add a bit of flare and ease to the skirt. I liked how that allowed me to keep the side buttoning opening at the pockets. The second time I simply cut the top half of the pattern and then added a gored skirt to the bottom, which ended up being a somewhat looser fitting jumper/pinafore.

This time I want to try combining the two approaches, in part because the first approach meant that I had a LOT more seams in the skirt area which made it a bit stiff to wear. I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Garden Girl

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
Hi JDol! Welcome to Stitcher's Guild and our little sew along! You will probably love it here.

Is there a target "finish by" date for the 6 PAC? I'm good when I have a goal, I guess I can pick a date, but this is my 1st anyPAC so just curious.
Thanks!

Yup!  For Winter we do a November thru  January timeline, so January 31. But we are easy peasy around here, so you can start and finish per your own schedule. Think of us more as enablers than rule makers! ;D

That reminds me: I know some of you were going "Ack! Ack! Not so soon!!!" when I jumped in and started this thread a bit earlier than Elizabeth would have. I had good reasons. Over in SWAP, rules are posted and there is a time period before sewing begins to get prepped and organized. I like that idea. We haven't had that here in 6PAC land. With all the Fall and Winter Holidays coming up I'm sure some of you will have less sewing time available than you would for other seasons. I thought a 2 week head start would be good. If you've finished your Fall 6PAC or this is your first time out, start planning and sewing now if you wish. Or, keep sewing on the Fall 6PAC and come over here in November. Or even later. It's all good!

Also, my DH works out of town 5 or 6 days a week from mid October through early December. I have other commitments from mid December through late January. It's now or next year for me!

Rene

Offline JDol

• JDol's Creations
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »
Hi Indigotiger! Thanks for the welcome... That's neat that you've done the jumper combination, too. thanks for sharing those ideas.  I do not know what a gore is, but my skirt does have triangular panels that add flare to it - I take it those are gores??  The first time I made the skirt i used contrasting material for those.. Plaid wool blend for the main and solid for the contrast. came out c-u-u-u-te.  it has a zipper, and I was liking that idea to give it a different look.  I was doing your approach of "cutting" the top of the overalls off and "attaching" it to the skirt. that type route.  I just got back with the fabric (washing it now) a wide line black corduroy, and I will do the whole jumper in it, (no separate contrast on the skirt.) I only hope the corduroy is not too thick for the skirt the way you mentioned with all the seams below... anyway - I'm excited! I'm not really looking for flowy anyway, stiffer is ok for this semi-rugged look.

Rene - thanks Jan 31 sounds good. I might sneak a jump start in there, because it's football season, and I can't abandon my Baltimore Ravens, - Hubby time, you know... we enjoy that time together!

Do we post pictures at the end of the adventure, or do you post as you go along?  Not sure what to expect, but I'm all in... I see some people post links to their blogs, that seems like a good idea, I will be updating my blog as I go along in this adventure...  ;D

Thanks!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics