Author Topic: Need help finding 6-8mm flat felling foot for low shank machines in metal  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Marius

Could anyone help me find a flat felling foot in pure metal, not plastic, to use with my Singer 99K?
It needs to be low shank, and I want it in 100% metal. Not plastic.

I already have a 4mm foot, which is a bit too small. And I noticed Bernina makes them up to 8mm for their high shank machines. I would really love it if it was possible to get a 8 or even 9 mm felling foot.

I have looked to the best of my knowledge on several online stores, but without results. The best I found was a 6mm half plastic foot. Which I wont let anywhere near my beautiful old steel Singer.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Re: Need help finding 6-8mm flat felling foot for low shank machines in metal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
Marius, I have searched myself and found nothing.  Will be interested to hear what you find
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Marius,

I know a lot of things, but I wouldn't know a flat felling foot if it landed on my nose and said:  BOO!
I'll have to look them up. 
{[ I did look them up and there's an off chance we have one here somewhere. }]
I do understand about the metal part though, I don't like the plastic ones either.   Even the metal ones now are not steel, they're some kind of non ferrous alloy.

If you don't mind a question;
Why are you looking for such a wide flat fell foot?   

Just curious.   

OBTW, my wife can do flat fell seams with out a special foot.  Amazing the things she can do with just a SS machine.    I'm trying to learn too, but ......

Joe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:12:39 PM by J Miller »
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
Joe, the flat fell foot doesn't have a wide slot - that's the width of the turner.  It's like a hemmer or folder.

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Joe, the flat fell foot doesn't have a wide slot - that's the width of the turner.  It's like a hemmer or folder.

ejvc,
After posting I did look up the flat fell foot.   It is very familiar and I might actually have one in the accessory box of one of our machines.   
I also worded my post very badly.   Perhaps I should fix it.

Joe
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Offline jamesosews

• Caught Up In The Race
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
Marius,  impressive work on the jeans you made.  I'm guessing you're looking for felling feet to get the RTW look.  A few years ago I tried to find a way to do this too. 

I have a 6mm foot for my slant shank Singer 404 and an 8mm foot for my Bernina.  The 6mm foot will handle up to about 8 oz. denim fairly well.  That's a lightweight denim.  It won't allow you to cross seams, like when you're attaching the yoke to the back or closing the inseam.  Well, it won't let me.  Too much bulk to move through the foot.  I have to stop, extricate the fabric, move past the adjoining seam, then start all over.  Then the gap has to be closed by hand.  It's a tricky thing to do because I've never managed to stop and start AND not leave some slack in the seam.  You can't really ease in a bit of fullness in the folds when you're going through six or eight layers.  There's too much turn of cloth, too much moving around.  The 8mm foot will work with denim up to about 10 oz.  That's a bit beefier, but still not very heavy.  My machine has no trouble piercing the fabric, but the fabric struggles to move through the foot. 

If the denim is a stretch fabric, the long seams tend to torque after I'm about 1/3 of the way through them.  I think this is because the side seams are, to a varied extend, on bias.  As the seams moved off the grainline and into the bias; thusly moving closer to being perpendicular to the grain and in the stretch zone, the fabric stared to drag a bit more in the foot.  This drag created distortion in the seam.  It sewed, but it didn't hang very well, was not as comfortable at wear, and, eventually, caused a bit of leg twist in the finished jeans.  Legs only twist when the grainlines are pulled out of place.  I cut everything on a single layer, an really careful, and haven't had a grainline issue in a long time.  (Of course now that I've said that I'm doomed.)  The only reason I could find ford the leg twist was the distortion in the felled seam. 

I get the best result when I hand fell the seams.  Have you tried that?  The sewing books, for the most part, will give you the instructions.  I don't think they work so well in jeans.  I've worked out something that works well for me.  I'll share if you're interested.  Hope this helps!
If you can't be well adjusted, at least be well fitted.

Offline Pina

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:58:20 AM »
Marius,I have a metal 1/4 inch,almost 6mm Elna snap on flat felling presser foot,as well as several other more vintage metal screw on ones,but like jamesosews explained in the previous post,it's a stop and go method.I can't get the presser feet to cooperate with me either.I prefer to make my flat felled seams the old fashion way,sewing,trimming,folding and pressing,I mentioned in the other topic.I also like to suggest to try out one,or the other flat felled seam method SG members suggested in your other flat felled seams topic,How do factories create flat felled seams for jeans?,here.

And I agree,the jeans you made look very nice !  :)

Edited to add links.
Link.Some felling machines that you can use at home have felling presser feet available that you can buy. These feet generally require you to pass the fabric through - at least twice and sometimes three times - to achieve the effect of the felled seam.

Please scroll down here and read about a modern Husqvarna flat felled presser foot and see what the metal foot looks like. - 9 mm Flat-felled seams such as the typical jeans seams, are extremely durable and popular. 9 mm flat-felled seams are often used in home dec items. They add a decorative touch when sewn with a contrasting thread. Best results will be achieved on medium to heavy weight fabrics.

Here is a Houston ASG link,please look in the video library if you can find - Islander, Margaret, Industrial Shortcuts, x. Islander, Margaret, Shirts etc., Part 1 In Shirts, Etc! Part One, Margaret Islander demonstrates industrial techniques - or any of her other videos.In the link it says : We are working on adding descriptions for each video in our library. Below is a list of our videos, and in cases where a description is available, the title is underlined and in blue. Hover your mouse over that title, and a pop-up box will appear. If you click the title, the webpage will scroll and move that title to the top.

When you find a video that you want to see, make a note of the author and title, then return to the Video Library page. Select the video from that page, then follow the instructions to check out.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:01:12 AM by Pina »

Offline Marius

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
I have said it before. As long as it involves trimming and pressing, it is not good enough. This thread is about felling feet only. Yet people insist on this method.

That 9mm felling foot looked good. Too bad its only made for Huqvarna. I  dont understand why theres not a single company that makes these feet in all versions and sizes. No matter what shank etc.

And as much as this seam is used, I dont understand why nobody has made a better attachment for this. Like an automatic lap seam attachment. To feed the fabric into standard sewing machines.

Online sewsy

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
I have said it before. As long as it involves trimming and pressing, it is not good enough. This thread is about felling feet only. Yet people insist on this method.

That 9mm felling foot looked good. Too bad its only made for Huqvarna. I  dont understand why theres not a single company that makes these feet in all versions and sizes. No matter what shank etc.

And as much as this seam is used, I dont understand why nobody has made a better attachment for this. Like an automatic lap seam attachment. To feed the fabric into standard sewing machines.

People aren't "insisting" on anything young man. "People" are trying very hard to help you find what you're looking for. Whether you like it or not, the answer is that as of now, there isn't a metal flat fell six or eight millimeter foot that will fit on your machine. That's why "people" are suggesting other options.....because until YOU find the presser foot you're looking for those other options are the only ones open to you, using your Singer.

In all these posts, I've learned a lot about this technique. As with most people who refuse to see the answer that's right in front of them, (including me sometimes) you don't even seem interested in trying the suggestions, if you would, I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised.

And anyway, Marius, what choice do you have? Well, yeah, you can buy an industrial feller for over one thousand dollars, or get a home sm that does have that width foot that "people" are trying to tell you doesn't work on all those thick layers of denim. And, bear in mind that while your machine itself can handle all those layers, even if you do find the foot you're looking for, as these "people" have tried to tell you, the foot may not be able to handle turning all that thick fabric.

Sheesh.  ::) This seems like more of a life lesson, and less an exercise about a dadgum presser foot.

Look. For now, the answer to the "can Marius mimic RTW jeans with a flat fell foot that meets his exacting specifications?" question is....no. So, until you do find one, work with what you have. Don't like the traditional flat felled method? Cool. You've been given several other options. Why not try and work with those until you run across the foot you're looking for.

Or not.

One other thing. I don't recall seeing you at any time offer a "thank you" to anyone that has taken the trouble to help in your search, find and upload photos (and label them), search out and post links, etc.

So, I'd like to say thanks to everyone, including you, Marius, since you got this ball rolling in the first place. I've learned quite a bit about flat felled seams, and how they can and can't be sewn on home sm's.

Not that this is really any of my concern, but your "so what?" attitude at every wonderful suggestion "people" are trying to offer to you is ticking me off.

My thought now is, ok, well, figure it out for yourself then, dude.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:32:37 PM by sewsy »

Offline rebells

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
I suggest that you quit looking for a home sewing machine attachment and start looking at industrial feet.  Back in the 1970's I bought a low shank industrial felling foot (Bernina) for my machine (Bernina) because I couldn't find one as big as I wanted in the home market.  Though it still wasn't big enough for heavy denim. 

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
I has been my experience that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the RTW look can not be replicated at home.
It's not just the construction method or the material the post processing or even the specialized machinery used to stitch everything together.
It's ALL of these things put together with a team of skilled laborers that get one hell of a lot more practice every shift they work, than you will ever achieve making clothing at home on a domestic duty sewing machine.
I fully understand your obsession with wanting to make your product exactly the way you have it in your head, and to do it exactly the way you want to and on a specific machine or set of machines however, you have been told several times by some very good natured and knowledgeable people that "you just can't get there from here".
You will never give up on your ideal vision of what jeans should look like and exactly how they should be made?
 Great.
 Keep the fire burning.
 But you're not going to impress anybody by coming here to Stitchers Guild and cheesing everybody off by making demands like a spoiled child.
If you're not going to take the advise that is being offered to out of the goodness of the other patrons here then that's fine but, don't keep stamping your feet insisting that someone help you.

Offline lydia

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
I rarely agree (mentally, or in print) w/sewsy, but she is spot on.  This is a forum where if one asks a question and gets a plethora of answers, which in this case most read the same, be quiet, choose the best method for you.  Flat felled seams have been a bone of contention for years.  If you want RTW flat felled seams, I recommend you purchase a pair.  Merl - you have a smooth way of answering a question.  .............Lydia
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Online sewsy

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
I rarely agree (mentally, or in print) w/sewsy, but......Lydia

::) :P ???  ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:53:37 PM by sewsy »

Online sewsy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
I don't agree with Lydia on several points. Not the least of which is her suggestion that you purchase a pair of RTW jeans if you want the look. Your sewing is wonderful, and people insisting on excellence and innovation is what gets new products born.

I think that until you find the felling foot you want, perhaps trying the well intentioned suggestions is a good idea. Or not, that's up to you.

Mainly, it's your attitude that I take exception to. A simple "thank you" whether online or irl, goes a long way.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:34:50 PM by sewsy »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
One thing I notice about sites such as ours is that when someone expresses an opinion, there's a tendency to pile on--that is, to echo that person's viewpoint, both in a good way and in a not-as-comfortable way. When we all echo how much we like someone's project, for example, that's a good way.

When someone such as sewsy expresses an opinion that may be difficult for the recipient to swallow, then I tend to think that one person saying that is enough; if others agree, it may be the better course in the interest of group peace and harmony to nod their heads silently and be glad that someone else spoke for them. Piling on an opinion that strikes a disharmonic chord (whether or not it is deserved is beside the point) sooner or later results in cacophony. The message, when repeated, tends to make the recipient less receptive to it IMO.

So let's move on.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Offline peter

• SoCal, USA
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »
Thank you Kathryn.

I hope this discussion doesn't put Marius off. I enjoy his contributions here.

May I say that I have several friends from Europe. Two are German. I've noticed that in general terms, their language is much more direct than what we are used to here in the US. We may call it blunt. I've learned to appreciate the difference and it doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Just a cultural difference or perhaps something lost in translation. The more diversity we have here, the better.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

The Dalai Lama

Offline Pina

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
Thank you Kathryn.

May I say that I have several friends from Europe. Two are German. I've noticed that in general terms, their language is much more direct than what we are used to here in the US. We may call it blunt. I've learned to appreciate the difference and it doesn't bother me in the least anymore. Just a cultural difference or perhaps something lost in translation. The more diversity we have here, the better.

Peter,you took the words out of my mouth.I'm an immigrant to my chosen country myself.And I have not always been able to express myself well in English either.So,thank you very much for your input !  ;)

Offline jdbooth22

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
Try to visit our website as you might find what you need and maybe more

link deleted by Kathryn, SG admin, in compliance with SG's no advertising policy

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:12:34 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline jamesosews

• Caught Up In The Race
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
Kathryn, as always, well said.  Thank you for the moderating hand.
If you can't be well adjusted, at least be well fitted.

Online sewsy

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »
Thank you Kathryn.

I hope that Marius continues to post here as well, Peter. His sewing is absolutely wonderful, from what I can see.

Cultural differences aside, I think that being courteous extends to every country around the globe. So, what, they don't say "thank you" in Germany?

I don't mind bluntness. But, the way I look at things is like this. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.  As such, if it's ok for me to be blunt, then I can expect bluntness in return.

Offline Pina

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

Cultural differences aside, I think that being courteous extends to every country around the globe. So, what, they don't say "thank you" in Germany?

I don't mind bluntness. But, the way I look at things is like this. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.  As such, if it's ok for me to be blunt, then I can expect bluntness in return.

Sewsy,Marius isn't German.I think Peter just wanted to make a point and referred to people he knows.I learned as a wee child about two words in German that open every door,bitte and danke.Three words in English,please and thank you !  ;)  ;D

Zalin

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Marius is Marius. Either love him as he is, or as I recently learned on another thread here - learn to walk away. There are plenty of people on other threads that will respond the way you want them to. Kill them with kindness, I say.  ;D

Offline blueskyboy

Hi, i think i've found what you are looking for

http://www.sewfancy.com/feet.htm

i just wish i could find one here in the U.K!

Andy

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
Andy, the 6mm clear foot with mettal shank is available on uk ebay. or was last time I checked.

Offline Pina

This company manufactures up to 9.5 mm hemmers,as well as other sewing machine accessories,binders,folders,hemmers and presser feet,you can find at the side bar.In the downloads are instructions and videos,here,on how to use the sewing machine accessories.

Link information.....Since beginning our business in 1934 as a manufacturer of hemmer feet, we have accumulated a wealth of proprietary technology that has become the hallmark of SUISEI-branded products. In March 2004, we were incorporated as TOHKI Industrial Co., Ltd. to start anew as a specialist manufacturer of presser feet, binders, folders, and gauges.

Offline RedLabelPatterns

Here is a 9mm snap on felling foot...maybe it will help?

9mm Flat Felled Foot for Husqvarna Vikings:
http://www.shopjoya.com/p-25579-9mm-flat-felled-foot-for-husqvarna-vikings.aspx?gclid=CLSU6efAhr0CFQ_l7AodHXIAgw#.UxzrzXddWnw

Offline Ann C

Several years ago I bought a felling foot from Sewing Emporium   http://www.sewingemporium.com/ and at that time I understand he even manufactured feet for machines for companies/individuals.  I'm not sure if he is still the owner of the company.  It's been probably 15 - 20 years ago and he may have retired in the interim.  This isn't really much of a website, but it does give a telephone number and address in Chula Vista, CA if you would want to call and speak to him if he is still there. 

ETA:  I just clicked on the link and evidently he is still in business himself.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics