Author Topic: Dodgy skirt for miss19  (Read 1220 times)

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
Dodgy skirt for miss19
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:28:45 AM »
Daughter-creature chose this panel from a fabric store remnants bin at least a year ago, probably more, declaring that she would "wear it to death".  The navy bits are actually knitted on, sort of like smocking, and therefore are stretchy.  It has languished in the stash, mainly because I had no flipping idea how to make it work.  I was dubious about putting a zip into the stretchy panel, wasn't sure how I would do the waist, and could see the hem would give me grief. 

So, since I had the overlocker threaded to roll hemming for the bunting I am working on, I figured I would jump in and get this skirt done, ready for summer.  The bottom is roll hemmed so its got a bit of a floaty look there, the waistband is faced with a piece of cotton rib knit (which is insisting on rolling, meaning that I may have to bit the bullet and stitch the lower edge down.  The vague "tulip" shape comes because the lower stripes of colour are stretchy as well.  I wouldn't wear it, but DD seems to like it, so I assume she will. 

I apologise for the out of focus shot.  I was using my big camera, and apparently it hates me today. 

skirt front by Datcat, on Flickr

skirt back by Datcat, on Flickr
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: Dodgy skirt for miss19
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
Yes, I could see some young sweet thing wearing this skirt.  Too bad about the facing piece rolling, any chance just tacking in a few places would hold it down?  You DD should give you a big hug, it's a nice summer skirt.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop