Author Topic: National Sewing Circle  (Read 2151 times)

Offline SewGraceful

National Sewing Circle
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
Has anyone else received a DVD in the mail from the National Sewing Circle?  It came with a letter explaining how much valuable information is on the DVD.  It is supposedly a risk free trial and a bonus there are three sewing projects included on the disc.  All I have to do is put the DVD into my computer  :o (NOT!)  Oh, and if I return it, please take the DVD out of the sleeve to keep their postage costs down  ::) .

Can companies actually send you unsolicited "samples" and then charge you if you do not return it to them?  I'm definitely not letting the disc get anywhere near my computer.

Zalin

Re: National Sewing Circle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
I "googled" National Sewing Circle and as far as I can tell it doesn't have much to do with sewing. I would toss it and not worry about it. Do they have your credit card number? If not, how could they charge you?

Offline Pina

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Can companies actually send you unsolicited "samples" and then charge you if you do not return it to them?  I'm definitely not letting the disc get anywhere near my computer.

I'm not familiar with US laws.I hope someone can answer your question.

Several years ago I ordered 5 music CDs and mailed them a cheque on purpose.I never ordered from that company before and didn't want to use my CC,after DS had trouble with another company when he used his CC.Every 3 weeks they kept sending me music CDs automatically.I never ordered them,signed up for a membership,or something similar.I returned all the CDs unopened,yet I received invoices for them and was threatened with a collection agency.

Every e-mail I sent them was an automatic computer reply,not human.It took me over 4 months and money for registered letters and CD packages to get the mess straightened out.They said they never received the unopened CDs I returned.So,I felt I was forced to pay money to return the CDs by registered mail to have proof that I mailed them.

After I wrote to them,I was told I can throw out anything I find in my mailbox I didn't order,or sign up for,they canceled my account and the balance on the last invoice finally showed amount due 0.00 dollars.But,I was out of money I paid for postage. !

Zalin

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »
I'm sorry, I guess I thought I answered that question.  :)

No, you cannot be charged for unsolicited merchandise received in the mail. Or I should say, someone can try to charge you for it, but you are not responsible for paying for it. You can toss it, keep it, or give it away. In this case, I would toss the DVD - if I were you.  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
I got the same NSC DVD and sent it back the very same day. I didn't even leave our little post office with it.

Kathryn

Zalin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Or you can do what Kathryn did, or you can refuse delivery which is the same as sending it back, but it has to be unopened so you don't get charged for postage. Maybe that's what Kathryn did?

Here you go.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/othertypes/UnsolicitedFraud.aspx
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:04:06 PM by Zalin »

Offline kaaren

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
Now that I have a heads up about the DVD, I would just print "not accepted" and put the envelope back in the mail without opening.  It is true that you don't have to pay for anything you did not order, but some requests for payment seem awfully threatening.

I just ordered a plate from ebay and when the guy delivered it, we shook it and heard that dreadful sound.  The Fed EX guy told me not to accept it.  And it would be returned with a note from Fed EX.  It certainly made it easier for me and no emailing back and forth and waiting for a payment return.  Love those guys.  Kaaren

Offline SewGraceful

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:21:03 AM »
I "googled" National Sewing Circle and as far as I can tell it doesn't have much to do with sewing. I would toss it and not worry about it. Do they have your credit card number? If not, how could they charge you?

No, they better not have my credit card number.  I just didn't want to receive a bunch of "requests" for payment especially for something that I received out of the blue.

Zalin

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
You're safe. :) If they ask for money, just ignore or report to the Postal Inspectors at the link I posted earlier.

Offline Shasta571@msn.com

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
I received that and then received a request for the money or to return the cd.  I put their letter in that said, " as you did not request this you can ignore and keep as a gift."  Will wait and see what happens.  You are not required to pay for anything you receive in the mail if you don't order it.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics