Author Topic: How to make a fly for mens pajama pants?  (Read 5694 times)

Offline shutterpillar

How to make a fly for mens pajama pants?
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
I am so sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didnt come up with anything I was looking for.

Could anyone explain to me how to make a fly opening while sewing a pair of mens PJ pants? I've made lounge pants before and have got the basic scheme of things down, but the fly is confusing me! Can someone explain with pictures, or lead me to tutorial or a good free or cheap pattern?

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

ETA: Sorry if this is in the wrong category! If it is, please feel free to move it. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:54:32 PM by shutterpillar »

Offline bessiecrocker

Re: How to make a fly for mens pajama pants?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
Maybe these will help:

exposed buttons

jeans fly/covered buttons

Putting buttons on the pjs will use the same system, using soft pj fabric rather than pants fabric...and be sure to use small flat buttons!

My DH has some pjs with "essence of fly" ... a fake fly that is just top stitched onto the fabric. For "function" he just pulls down the elastic (and/or drawstring) waist.

Offline shutterpillar

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
Thank you! Those definitely help. :)

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
After I posted, I decided to clean out DH's jammie drawer. Found a pair of my pj bottoms and DD's knit pants that she has been looking for. DH should not be allowed to handle laundry without female supervision.

All DH's pjs have only one button!  In the middle of the placket, exposed. That might save you some work...  ;D

Offline shutterpillar

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Yep, I had been looking at my DH's jammie pants as well in attempt to create some sort of pattern from them for the fly (just confused me more because they were ALL different!) but the one thing they all did have in common was like you said, they all had one button. It will definitely save me a tiny bit of work. ;)

Thank you so much for all your help!

Offline Elona

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
My DH and son have told me that guys do not use the fly in pants of this type; they just pull the pants down.

You might be able to save yourself some work by making a fake or 'cosmetic' fly.

Offline shutterpillar

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Elona - my husband specifically asked for one (otherwise I would save myself the trouble and not bother) and it drives him nuts when his PJ pants have the fake fly. It's the main reason I am trying to get this figured out because lately I have seen more and more retailers putting in the fake fly.

Guess he is just the odd man out. I do not put a fly in my son's PJ pants, though. He is still a tiny little guy and sits to use the bathroom anyway. ;)

Offline Elona

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Here's a link to one woman's approach to adding a fly to these pants:

http://hellobeautifulblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/pajama-pants-tutorial.html

Offline shutterpillar

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
Just wanted to come back and update that I ended up buying a Kwik Sew pattern (K3793) that was on sale for mens PJ pants that included a fly. I am halfway through the project, and definitely understand how it works a bit better!

Thank you everyone for your comments and help!

Offline laptop-guy

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:37:01 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, I've been hobby sewing for 2 years... at most I've made 15 projects.
Just to reply to this thread from a guys perspective.. Guys do use the fly in pajama pants, at least they will if its there...
Not having a fly causes the use of two hands throughout the process and there is some discomfort with the elastic waistband. With a fly the task can be accomplished comfortably with one hand, enough said on that  :laugh:

I came across this thread specifically because I was googling for a men's pajama/lounge pant pattern with a fly. Even more specifically I wanted a pattern for men's pajamas with both a fly and pockets (need pockets for the remote or my cell phone)..
I have searched each pattern manufacturer and have not found one.

I guess I will have to make up my own.
I plan to take KWIK 3793 pattern which I have made a couple times and has a great snap fly. I want to merge it with the New Look 6859A which has the right style front pockets (not on the side seam)..
Finally I will make the perfect lounge pants for a rainy Sunday spent in front of the TV..
Any advise on how I go about blending these two patterns together would be appreciated.

:D

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
Welcome Lap-top Guy. Thank you for the detailed information on how to use a men's fly...I have never had this kind of specific discussion with DH. It's useful info!

insert beefcake. we appreciate eyecandy. This is Kwiksew 3793. Thanks for the heads-up on that pattern.

The pockets that you want to add are called "front slash pockets" and are so simple you don't really need a pattern. You can easily do this with the Kwiksew pattern. This shows how to do it on a skirt...but it's the same principal on simple pants. This tutorial is good with construction but you may need a bit more help to show you how to modify your basic pattern. Someone else here will likely posts some links. And just do a search. This is not hard...do you already have the New Look? If not, don't go buy it because you don't really need it.

eta: missing "s" in link address--it should work now  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:22:32 PM by Lisa »

Offline sewsy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
Yes, welcome and thank you for ALL the information.  ;D

You have a Kwiksew pattern, and want to include a fly front. The best instruction I can think would be in your underwear drawer. Do you have a pair of boxers that are made the way you want? If so, take a look at them and see how they're constructed. Or, do you have a jean pattern? There will be a fly front opening included. Use that info and construct the fly front. Just ignore the zipper insertion information, simply fold the facings back.

Does the Kwiksew pattern have a cut on waistband? If so, just extend the fly front piece up into the waistband and there shouldn't be a problem stitching the waistband seam closed.

Offline Pina

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Hi laptop-guy,welcome to Stitcher's Guild !  :)

Bessie,the above slash front pocket link didn't work for me.Down here is another slash front pocket picture tutorial,Sewing the Slash Pockets (Jedediah Shorts Sew-along).

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »
Bessie,the above slash front pocket link didn't work for me.

Link take 2  Does this one work? I need Lap Top Guy to teach me how to properly use my computer :computer: ...  Pina's link is very good and shows how to do the pockets on pants.

I think Lap Top Guy already has a pattern with a suitable fly. He's trying to add the pockets.

LTG: do you have a pair of sweatpants with front pockets? Those will show you how these go together. Even jean pockets are a version of Slash pockets...just slightly more complicated.

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »
I've fixed the link in the first post, but how nice to get another slash pocket tutorial!  Thanks to both beesiecrocker & Pina :applause2:

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline sewsy

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »
Bessie, you're right. Laptopguy does have the fly front and front pocket patterns. He just wants to know how to merge both techniques into one pair of pj pants:
I guess I will have to make up my own.
I plan to take KWIK 3793 pattern which I have made a couple times and has a great snap fly. I want to merge it with the New Look 6859A which has the right style front pockets (not on the side seam)..
Finally I will make the perfect lounge pants for a rainy Sunday spent in front of the TV..
Any advise on how I go about blending these two patterns together would be appreciated.

Ok. So, he wants view A from New Look, and the fly front from Kwiksew. Here's what I think he should do.

Start with one pattern or the other. Let's say Kwiksew. Cut out the front pattern piece from New Look and lay it on top of the KS pattern. Where the slant is on the front of NL, fold that same slant line on the KS pattern. Use the remaining pocket facing and pocket pattern pieces from the New Look pattern, and when you go to actually assemble the pocket, use the instructions from the New Look guidesheet.

Same with the Kwik Sew pattern. Follow the guidesheet for assembly instructions for the fly front.

Offline laptop-guy

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes and the helpful replies.. I had thought this thread had died out but then I noticed it has the most views of any in the ďIndividual Projects, Projects in Progress, and UFOsĒ forum and I do really appreciate the feedback.

Iím not talented enough to take a store bought garment and interpret how they did it (yet).

Thanks Sewsy, thatís exactly what I plan to do..  I was able to get the New Look 6859 pattern for only $3.99 at my local Pacific Fabrics (https://pacificfabrics.com/) yesterday.  After opening up the pattern and comparing it to the one with the fly it seems easy enough to trace the pocket side of the two front pieces and the pockets from the New Look pattern and then trace the fly side of the two fronts from the Kwik 3793 one..
Should be easy.. Only thing I need to figure out is how I cut the fabric to allow me to make French seams all around the pockets  ;D.  I have some great fabric, black with Bear Paw prints all over it (very man cave lounge wear), I am excited to make my own project out of it.

Again thanks for all the guidance, I will post a pic if/when I get the little project finished..

Laptop-guy

Offline sewsy

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
Yep. Glad you got it figured out. I'm not sure about the french seams for the pockets, though. You might have a hard time trying to navigate those curves. I'd do a serged edge, or if you don't have a serger, a simple zig zag stitch to neat the edges.

If you absolutely must have the look of french seams, I'd suggest making some bias binding out of the fabric, and using that on the pocket edges.

eta. Here are several YouTube videos about making bias binding: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+bias+binding&sm=1

I haven't watched any of them, but should you decide to use this technique; one thought. When you go to press the binding in half, offset one side by just a hair. In other words, don't fold the binding in half so the edges meet. Then, when you go to apply the binding, put the wider side on the bottom, so that when you sew the binding, you'll catch both edges in the stitching.

Hmmm. I'm re-thinking all of the above. French seams, huh? Upon reflection, I guess it could be done, a mock french seam, that is. You'll want to make the seam allowances wider; maybe an inch, to accomodate the folding in of the seam allowances. Perhaps making a sample first will save you some aggravation before attempting the final project.

Also, if I may add a thought about sewing in general, and welcome you not only to Stitchers Guild (a moderator will be along to greet you officially, I'm sure) but to the world of home garment sewing.

There was an excellent sewing professional, Clotilde, that said this: "Reducing bulk is the name of the sewing game." I've always kept that in mind when sewing, but I would add this, as well.

"Pressing as you sew" is the name of the sewing game. You may already know this, but it bears repeating for all who sew garments. If you want your home sewn clothes to not look like you made them at home, press as you sew. It makes all the difference.  :)

Pressing IS sewing.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:40:34 AM by sewsy »

Offline laptop-guy

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
Sewsy, Thanks for the additional advise.

When I made my first pair of pajama bottoms I did not like the half inch seam allowance simply flapping around inside the leg of the pant so on the second pair I took the directions from a pattern for boxer shorts I made and used what I thought was called a french seam.  Basically you sew the half inch seam allowance from the right side of the fabric. Cut one side of the seam down by a quarter inch, fold the half inch side over and under the quarter inch side and then sew along the open edge (pressing on each step). It makes for a nice seam on pajamas and boxers. I even used it on a pajama top I made that was baseball jersey style.
I prefer the hidden raw edge of the folded over outside seam allowance to any raw edge seams these patterns have suggested so far.

I don't have a Serger but I did just get a "Side Cutter II" sewing machine foot that I plan to use for finishing the raw edge in the back of the pajamas. And for finishing the raw edge of inside seams when attaching arms to shoulders, or wherever the bulkier seam is not good.   I played around with it a bit on some scraps and it really does do a nice Serger like job of things (from what I understand about what a Serger is)..

The reason I mentioned the french seam around the pocket is because I wanted to have a bit of a lip or strong edge at the pocket openings, like my jeans have..  From the picture on the pattern it looked like the pocket was just hemmed at the opening.
I got home and opened up the new look 6859 pattern I bought and read how to do the pockets.  I can't believe how simple it looks to do.. All my fussing over nothing..  :D 
Looks like the pattern includes a reenforced pocket edge so I am all good.  I already updated my fly front pattern to add the pockets, now its just a matter of starting the job.

And yes, pressing is good advise and always important, I couldn't make those hidden raw edge seams without it..

Have a great weekend everyone!

Laptop-Guy

Offline sewsy

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
I've been puzzling over the french seam technique used for the pocket seam allowances. If you change the order of construction, a true french seam could be done. But, now that I've read your description of how you finish the seam allowances, I think that you are doing a mock french seam, but trimming the seam allowances as if it were a flat felled seam.

Either way, if it works for you, I'm glad that you're happy with it. It seems like a technique that is definitely worth doing.  :)

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
I've been puzzling over the french seam technique used for the pocket seam allowances. If you change the order of construction, a true french seam could be done. But, now that I've read your description of how you finish the seam allowances, I think that you are doing a mock french seam, but trimming the seam allowances as if it were a flat felled seam.

Either way, if it works for you, I'm glad that you're happy with it. It seems like a technique that is definitely worth doing.  :)

The link in bessiecrocker's post (reply #11) is to a really good tutorial which includes an easy to follow photo set about a french seam for the pocket.  It's about half-way through the post...search for the words "lower edge of the pocket" to get there easily.

HTH,

Lisa 
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline sewsy

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Lisa, thanks for pointing out the french seam instructions for the pocket. She has done something different in that the pocket facing and pocket are cut as one unit and therefore easier to do the french seam. I was trying to figure out how to do the technique when the pocket facing and pocket are two separate pieces.

When done that way, the first thing to do is sew the pocket facing to the pantleg at the slanted (or curved, when making jeans) portion. It's a bit more difficult to do french seams that way, but it can be done, using her method.

The tutorial is really good! I've not seen a pocket/facing done that way! Pretty cool technique.

Thanks again. I'll have to try that sometime.  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:53:59 AM by sewsy »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics