Author Topic: Ottobre 303 - long sleeved top  (Read 968 times)

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
Ottobre 303 - long sleeved top
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
I am liking this top, but its most definitely a "wear under something else" top.  I tapered out the front to give me more room, but its still clingy.   I think rather than trying to make it into something it isn't I should just accept the limitations of the design (and my figure), and find something else to be the type of top I want. 

IMG_0619 by Datcat, on Flickr
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline joycep

Re: Ottobre 303 - long sleeved top
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
That acceptance is SO hard for me too. Best wishes  :)

That said - the color on that top is fabulous on you! You could make one of the Ottobre jackets that you showed in another topic... maybe even that one would look good with this top, dunno. But you want to wear this top! I think the great color totally obscures the limitations that you feel with it.

Offline blue mooney

• If it feels good, wear it!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
Datcat, you didn't ask for a critique, so I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. You've gone to the work of making a really nice top in a color that's great on you - what if you shortened it? You know your body and what you like, and I'm just looking at a single photo, so you of course know best!

Ottobre makes such great patterns for knits - but they make most of their patterns really long.

edited to add - it would be easy to pin the hem up and see what you think. Please feel free to give me what for if I have crossed a line.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:49:28 PM by blue mooney »

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Nice top and a great colour on you.  What about a fairly traditional waistcoat left open for over the top.  I've got a pattern you could borrow if you like.  I also agree with Robin, maybe 2" shorter?

Offline CindyHa

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »
The top fits well and the color is fabulous on you.  One thing I do if I'm uncomfortable wearing a top I think is too clingy is to pair it with a scarf or a vest.  It kind of gives me a security blanket to hide under.

After seeing your latest 2 Ottobre garments, I might have to break down and buy the magazine!

Cindy

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
Thanks Kathryn .... I do have a longline vest that I wear with my work shirt, that I think will look good over the top of this one.  And looking at it critically, I think I agree with blue mooney's suggestion to shorten the top, so I plan to take a inch or so off the length and see if that improves the overall fit. (blue mooney all critique is appreciated .... and you certainly haven't upset me).  Actually I can't figure out how this one ended up so long.  The dusty pink one I made is the same pattern with a few modifications, but I didn't mess with the length for that one.  This blue one was one of a batch of patterns I cut out in bulk at the start of the holidays, and I wonder if I was planning something with the length, that I neglected to commit to memory. 

I am wondering though ...... The black tunic top for my interview outfit, is a lovely piece.  It would look nice over this top, but I am thinking about making the same pattern in a lovely heavyweight marle grey ponte that I picked up a while ago, perhaps with a bit of alteration to the collar.  Any thoughts on this idea?   

Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics