• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
August 21, 2019, 06:10:02 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Morzel's trying to make it work with pants and skirt

Started by Morzel, January 06, 2019, 10:05:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Morzel

In December I went to our the city art museum to look at their permant collection - we had only been to special exhibitions for years. I came across a painting by Emil Nolde, whose paintings I really like, and it was just the right colourway! It is called 'sailboats in the wind'.

Neutral colour will definitely be navy. As second colour either grey or denim... Accents could be seagreen/teal, rose, burgundy, white, light blue. I am not sure, which fabrics I will use - I will work my way along.
Eva

Morzel

So I plunged into sewing as I got a bit of time... TNT shirt pattern and a stretch cotton fabric that I LOVE! And it fits not only into the colour palette of above picture, but to the theme... I tried out a new cuff - folded up with a V-slit. I really like that one, will use it again on my TNT.

Eva

Morzel

I finished another item - a wool crepe skirt. The pattern I used is the  crescent skirt by sewaholic. A wonderful skirt pattern! It is easy to sew and I really like the look of it. Sewaholic designs pattern for pear shaped women - the mearsurements are spot on for me! Usually I have to grade two or three sizes between waist and hip...

I also finished a cami - no picture yet. The pattern is the Odgen Cami by True bias. Nice pattern, only a bit full at the hem, I sized that down.
Eva

Morzel

I got a quick jacket done yesterday. I found this fabric in my stash, it fits precisely the bill when it comes to the inspiration piece. It is the Morris Blazer by Grainline Studio. But I am a bit on the fence about it: the fit is not great (the shoulders too wide, lack of bust dart showing), but the styling I like. I will wear this for now (the colours work beautifully with the skirt), but will converge the styling of this pattern with a self drafted pattern. It is a first time for me, sewing a 'jacket' this easily - it is a knit jacket, no lining, only a facing. Casual, but nevertheless put-together. And I think I like that concept - I am all for comfortable, but maybe at less than a year to go till 50 I should at least sometimes forgo my Hoodie/sweater-jeans look in cold to medium weather... ;D
Eva

Morzel

I finished a dark blue Morris Blazer, another pair of jeans in dark blue, and two tops of the same viscose fabric in burgundy. I made a camisole (a modified odgen top) and a simple top/blouse with sleeves (modified pendrell blouse. The Pendrell is sleeveless, but I drafted sleeves for it a few years back).
Usually I find the problem with a collection of garments is that the length for tops worn with pants needs to be longer than tops for skirts. What I like with the Pendrell blouse is that I can wear it over pants, but also with the crescent skirt. The viscose has lots of drape, the blouse is semi-fitted and so the top looks good tucked in. And the crescent skirt has a relatively high waistline, those two patterns work really well with each other. *Happy*
Eva

Morzel

April 03, 2019, 02:15:12 am #5 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:25:21 am by Morzel
While I am touring Europe, working, a quick photo of my new Morris Blazer. Made from a beautiful wool knit crepe I bought at Moods.

Eva

Morzel

Simple TNTs are great if you need to sew something quickly. So I pulled out my TNT pattern for sweaters (drafted for last years SWAP) and made up a garment in seagreen - as that colour is prominent in the inspiration picture and I happen to have a very nice wool knit fabric in stash. The cutting and sewing took me about as much time as finishing the v-neck - I used a new-to-me method from a book (Lynda Maynard, Dressmakers Handbook of couture sewing techniques) that was given to me by a friend of my mothers. I really like the finish - it is easy enough to sew (though I took time to do it as to do it well, as flaws will show) and looks great. So, maybe more v-necks in future... then I took the opportunity to get photos of the other garments I sewed these last weeks. The seagull shirt I showed already, as well as the denim jeans. I am afraid they are a bit short, but I wear them anyway as they are VERY comfortable. Same pattern, but strangely not as comfortable (though about the same amount of stretch) are the dark blue jeans. I got more fabric, maybe I'll try my other jeanspatter with it. The burgundy pendrell blouse is wonderful - it also fits great with the burgundy skirt. I am not sure I will include the cami in my SWAP, but it is shown anyway. As is the grey woolcrepe pant.

Eva

Morzel

My daugther went on class trip today and is gone for the week - that gave me ample time to start another item this afternoon, which I finished just now.

A few weeks ago I already tweaked my TNT blouse pattern to resemble the Fisher blouse from Silhouette patterns. I made a simple v neck instead of the neckline the Fisher blouse had. I sewed it up in burgundy coloured viscose, with ellbow length sleeves and like it alot! Although it is too long, so I have to shorten it tomorrow.
Eva

Wienson

Love the burgundy color, Eva. Great choice. Maybe make the longer and shorter versions? Somebody might prefer it a bit longer.

Morzel

Another item done - a poloshirt in navy. I morphed my TNT tshirt pattern with the poloshirt pattern from Silhouette patterns (#225). It certainly is wearable, and comfortable (well, it is my TNT), but I don't favour the collar. Too big. But - it looks very good paired with the seagreen sweater I sewed up last week.
As I really like to wear poloshirts in summer, I will need to look for another pattern for the collar...

Eva

Morzel

So I cut out the next poloshirt, in pink. With an altered neckline and a different collar construction. The neckline of the blue shirt was too open/wide for my taste (and the collar too big). https://www.pattydoo.de/schnittmuster-poloshirt-kleid-leslie is much closer to the neck and altogether smaller. Tomorrow I'll know if this Mr.Potatoehead works.
Eva

Morzel

The 'Fisher blouse' from last week.

Poloshirt with the collar from this pattern morphed on my TNT. Much better collar. There is a nice (german) video that shows the construction of the shirt.

Eva

Morzel

These are the colours of my SWAP, taken from the inspiration picture. Neutrals are burgundy and navy.

Eva

Morzel

So I've come up with a title for my SWAP. I always struggle to include both pants and skirts in a 'collection', as I feel I need longer tops for my pants than I do to go with skirts. Same with jackets/cardigans... But as I sewed up the Morris Blazer, and then the Crescent skirt, I realised that the Morris goes with this skirt as well as with pants. I guess it is because of the pointed front... anyway, so I tried to come up with tops that could do the same trick. And it worked - because of really drapey viscose fabric and fitted tshirts. Also, because the skirt hits at the waist. The only combination not really working is the seagull button-up shirt with the skirt. Well, so the shirt is my wildcard... I included a previously sewn item, as it fit it colourwise and made for a nice style change.

Finished SWAP consist of:

2nd layer:
- Morris Blazer (navy) (Grainline studio)
- Oversized shirt (burgundy) (self drafted, previously sewn)

Top:
-Poloshirt (navy) (selfdrafted, collar from SP#225)
-Poloshirt (rose) (selfdrafted, collar from Pattydoo Leslie)
-Fisher Blouse (burgundy/rose) (selfdrafted, designdetails from SP#418)
-Pendrell Blouse (burgundy patterned) (sleeveless blouse from Sewaholic, I added sleeves)
-Sweater (seagreen) (self drafted)
-Seagull shirt (white/grey pattern) (selfdrafted)

Bottom:
-Crescent skirt (burgundy) (Sewaholic pattern)
-Denim jeans (dark blue) (SP #3300)
-Twill jeans (navy) (mix of selfdraft and RTW copy)

1.neutral: dark blue
-Poloshirt
-denim jeans
-twill jeans
-Morris Blazer

2.neutral: burgundy

-Crescent skirt
-Oversized shirt

Accent/pattern:
-Fisher blouse
-Pendrell blouse
-Seagull shirt
-Sweater
-2nd poloshirt
Eva

Morzel

May 01, 2019, 06:24:57 am #14 Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:30:27 am by Morzel
Eva

Morzel

May 01, 2019, 06:37:06 am #15 Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:21:57 am by Morzel
I took the last photos this morning. This shows a back view of my new twill jeans - I enlarged the back pockets, and like that much better. Big behind, big pockets. I wore the jeans yesterday and today I can tell I need to take a wedge out of the front crotch in the pattern. Well, for the next pair... The additional seagreen double-gauze blouse is soo comfortable and a really quick sew-up. The fabric is very forgiving.  Still, a little wrinkly after a days wear. And lastly a detail shot of my sweater neckline. It went fairly well, apart from one skipped stich. But nobody apart from myself will notice, and I will not do the coverstitching anew.

Eva

Morzel

May 01, 2019, 09:23:17 am #16 Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:30:13 am by Morzel
Eva