Author Topic: Marfy Patterns  (Read 150743 times)

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
Marfy Patterns
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:43:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's great to be a part of this group.
Hope this is where and how I should be addressing this topic.. ???

Liana, I see from your site you have used Marfy Patterns.
What did you think  of them. .....No pictures OR instructions.??
Is the fit/style that much better than a designer Vogue Pattern. I've been wanting to
buy one but had never talked to anyone that had used one before.
Any comments / advise: ie: size to buy, fitting problems...

If anyone else has used them, additional input would be appreciated :)

Thank You in  advance.

Sew 4 Fun

Marfy Patterns

Offline redhead

Re: Marfy Patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:15:27 AM »
I have never sewn one, but I will one of these days.  The styles are so sophisticated, and the comments about fit are usually very positive.  Here's a list of Marfy reviews at Pattern Review.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?CompanyID=29&search=Search

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:06 AM »
Thank you redhead,

The pattern styles do look beautiful. The only thing to do is just jump in and order one and try it......

Challengs are good :)  Challenges are rewarding
I will look thru the reviews, Thank You.

Sew 4 Fun  :)

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:46:13 AM »
Hi Sew-4-Fun!

Yes, I've used Marfy patterns.  I'm getting quite a collection by now, although I've only made up 5 so far; 3 jackets, a skirt, and a top.  

As far as I'm concerned, the fit is superior to Vogue or any of the Big 4.  The things I've made are pretty fitted, and I haven't had to do much altering.  The drawings, and in a few cases, photos are in their catalog, and some are on the Vogue site.  You have to make sure you print out the picture, or keep the catalog handy, since you're right, there are no instructions, and you really need to look at the picture to make sure you do what needs to be done.  The no instruction thing hasn't been a problem.  I would recommend that you have your favorite sewing references handy, as it's very helpful to see various methods for construction, and then you can decide which one is best.  I actually prefer this, in a way, since I have a tendency to read the instructions on a pattern, and begin doing what they say before I realize that it would actually be better to do it differently.  

The really great thing about the patterns is the fact that they seem to be so perfectly drafted.  All the pieces fit together beautifully, with no "fudging" necessary.  There seems to be a lot more shape built into the patterns than comparable Big 4 Patterns; they become 3-dimensional with less work, if you know what I mean.  It's important to mark the seamlines on your fabric rather than using the cut edge of the fabric as a stitching guide, so you don't lose any of the subtle distinctions in the cut.  This is easy to do, as the patterns come already cut out, and with no seam or hem allowances, so you can just mark along the edge of the pattern pieces, and it's very easy to leave yourself whatever size seam allowances you like, or think you might need in different areas.

I'd encourage you to try a Marfy pattern and see what you think.  It's an adventure, with no hand-holding, but it is exciting, too.  I feel that the finished product is well worth it, in any case.  You can see some photos of my Marfy garments here.  

Marfy Project Photos

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:41:10 AM »
Thank You Liana,

I checked your site and your garments are beautiful.
You definetly do wonderful work. I will order the Marfy Cataloque and since
it comes with three free pattens it will give me a chance to "test" them out....or should I say test "myself"....
I am now cutting out 4 shirts for my Husband...... I saw your "many" that you've sewn....very nice.....
I have sewn lots for my husband but probably not as many as you   :) . He is always sooooo proud to show them off  8).
You put allot of effort into your site.......it is very inspirational, and I loved browsing thru your projects......
One day I'll have to sit down and learn how to do that....blogging thing.....my computer skills have not extended to that yet.
Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
Sew-4-Fun

I am sooooo glad I found this site.. ;D..I am so glad I found this site.. ;D.must thank DragonLady... ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:53:54 AM »
Thank you, Sew-4-Fun!  What wonderful comments!  I made the free top from the first catalog I ordered so that I knew what size to order patterns in, and it worked very well. 

Aren't DHs the greatest to sew shirts for?  They are so pleased and grateful.  My DH is always telling me how much better these shirts are than any others he's had, because they fit him so well.  We tweaked that pattern for a while, but finally got it, and now it's a snap.  He's always pleased to hear what custom-made shirts are selling for, and then he'll say, "I'm wearing my $300 shirt today!"  ;D  It's nice to do something for him that makes him know I'm thinking of him every time he looks down and sees his shirt. :)

Blogging is really fun, and actually very easy if you use one of the ready-to-go sites, like Google's Blogger.  I started to let my sister know what I was up to, and it expanded from there.  They're really nice if you have far-flung family, as they can all check in and get the news.

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
Liana,

I ordered the Marfy cataloque today..I had to eventually go thru the "Marfy" site (Italy ?).....after going thru the whole order processs on the Voque Pattern site, I found out.... at the end... of course that they would'nt ship it to Canada ?...but it
says US/Canada available ...??...Where to you order yours from???..end result ....my cataloque is ordered :)

I think I seriously will look into "Blogging".......I don't live close to my Family (7 hrs) away, we only see each other once,maybe twice a year.....this would be a great way of showing my sisters what  I've been up to....

Thanks again.
Have a great day

Se-4-Fun

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07:30 PM »
I've ordered Marfy catalogs both from Marfy's website, and from Nancy Erickson.  One way is about the same as the other, I think, for price.  At the beginning of the season, you might get the new catalog slightly faster from Marfy.  I've ordered patterns only from Nancy, and she's very fast and I think the postage is better, as she sends in a group order once a week, and I believe that the postage is split among all the patterns ordered.

That's really strange that Vogue won't ship to Canada.  I'm glad your catalog is on the way, though! :)  I can't wait to see what you do first, and second....etc. ;D 

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:27:30 AM »
"That's really strange that Vogue won't ship to Canada."

Liana,Yes it is....maybe it just had something to do with the cataloque?? I'll see down the road when I order the patterns.
 I did send an email to Vogue, asking why, and they replied that any questions concerning Marfy cataloque had to go directly to Marfy...... :)maybe I'll try Nancy Erickson next time. :)

"I can't wait to see what you do first, and second....etc."

It will be a lot of fun....and definetly will be a hot topic for me.... ;D :) ;D...

Sew-4-Fun

Offline LindaL

• Danvillegirl Sewing Diary
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »
Liana, you may have answered this question for me personally but I think I deleted some of my personal messages.  Do you use upper chest measurement for the size for blouses or jackets or actual bust measurement?  ??? There is a Marfy dress pattern I keep drooling  :P over to try.  Since you have quite a bit of experience with them I appreciate your feedback.
"Change is the only constant thing in life"
http://danvillegirl.blogspot.com

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:47:06 AM »
Linda,  I have used my actual bust measurement.  It has seemed to work well for me, and as long as I shorten above the bust, I'm fine.  HTH!  (I still have the PM in my file if you want me to resend it.)

Which dress are you looking at?

Offline LindaL

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 01:55:23 AM »
Linda,  I have used my actual bust measurement.  It has seemed to work well for me, and as long as I shorten above the bust, I'm fine.  HTH!  (I still have the PM in my file if you want me to resend it.)

Which dress are you looking at?

I am considering F9881, on the Vogue website.  It looks simple enough for a starter.  I am short,-5'3", but I think that this pattern will be easy enough for me to alter for length.    I normally wear a 14 in the upper chest with Vogue Patterns and normally make a small adjustment in the bust area, sometimes just move to a 16 in that area.

Thanks for feedback.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 02:02:12 AM »
That's really a pretty one, Linda.  It looks like it would be very simple to do a FBA on if you needed to.  Are you thinking of embroidery for the pockets?

Offline LindaL

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 02:02:54 AM »
Actually I am.   :)

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 02:15:16 AM »
Actually I am.   :)

Somehow I thought you might be!  ;)  I can see how this design would really grab you.  It would be quite plain without the pocket designs.

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 04:24:52 AM »
Linda,

That is a very pretty and simple design!  It's so funny you thought of embroidery because I thought applique or a silk ribbon design would also work.  Are you going to purchase the pattern?  This would be an interesting sewing journey to watch from afar!  Have you thought of a fabric type?  Am I asking too many questions?  Going further than you have thought thru?  Can you tell you have piqued my interest!  :)
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 07:22:25 PM »
Carolyn,  I'll bet you could "cut and paste" your tea-dyed dress pattern to get much the same effect.  That dress is so flattering on you that it would be worth doing, as you know it would look good too!  Appliqué or silk ribbon would be great too; anything that would be a bold contrast on the pockets.  One of your new linens might be perfect..... >:D :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »
I had the same thought, Liana, about Carolyn's tea-dyed dress pattern.  That's SUCH a great pattern that with a tweak or two I bet you could emulate that interesting Marfy pocket line that is cut on with the center front of the princess style.

Linda, those pockets just BEG for your machine embroidery expertise!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 08:31:55 PM »
Carolyn, it's obviously meant to be. :)

Kathryn, I guess great minds think alike! ;) 

Offline LindaL

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »
Linda,

That is a very pretty and simple design! It's so funny you thought of embroidery because I thought applique or a silk ribbon design would also work. Are you going to purchase the pattern? This would be an interesting sewing journey to watch from afar! Have you thought of a fabric type? Am I asking too many questions? Going further than you have thought thru? Can you tell you have piqued my interest! :)

Carolyn, silk ribbon design would be great for this.  I have never attempted silk ribbon designs.  Applique would be good also.  Yes, I did purchase the pattern.   :)  I will be waiting for the postal person.

As to fabric, I am thinking on that one.  Actually the beige/cream/yellow color of the pattern on Vogue website drew my attention and I am thinking of using something in that color.  I actually have fabric in my stash that I will be able to use.  That is as far as my thinking has taken me.  Glad I piqued your interest. :)

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 03:11:04 PM »
Liana and Kathryn ~ you two are like the little girls at school telling you to jump off the big cliff into the water.  It won't hurt you, even if you can't swim!  ROTFLOL! 

Let's see ~ first I would have to redraw my pattern.  Then cut it apart at the shoulders all the way to the hem ~ measuring so that I have equal amounts on both sides of the pieces and add a 5/8" hem allowance on both front pieces to make the princess seam.  Am I right so far?  Then, I would have to cut the right front piece (or the piece that has the side seam) on an angle at about hip length to begin the pocket section?  Next I would need to add an extension to the upper front piece for the pocket and finally another piece to the bottom front piece for the second piece of the pocket bag?  Is that how you would do it? 

But you have forgotten that I have one little problem....I am horrible at precision!  I don't know if I am not patient enough or just not precise enough?  It is why I usually purchase patterns that has the new idea.  Maybe we should start a Patternmaking 101 folder! LOL!

But seriously is this how you would make the change?  I may think about it! :)
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My Flickr Albums

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 01:34:17 AM »
Linda and Carolyn,  I am getting excited to see what the two of you come up with.  It's so interesting to see what a single idea can turn into when given to different people.  I am confidently expecting to see two very different and very lovely creations!

Carolyn,  I think you have it pretty well figured out.  (Look, there's a nice cliff! ;)

I would probably put on the teadye dress and see where I wanted the princess seam to hit, and then place a pin at the shoulder and bust.  I would also take some squares of fabric and try pinning them on the dress to see where the most flattering pocket position will be, and what size is best.  I think that is probably the key step in all of this, as you don't want those pockets in the wrong spot, or the wrong size.

I would then take off the dress, lay the pattern over it and mark the chosen spots onto it.  I would draw the lines right on the pattern, and then trace off that.  That will save you a step, and the lines won't hurt the pattern.  I was going to say that you could incorporate your bust dart into the princess line, but I don't see that your pattern has a dart? 

You're right on the pockets, although there are 2 ways to do this.  One is as you said, just add a pocket extension to the side bodice piece, and then add a front pocket piece behind the horizontal "tab" so you don't get showthrough.  The other way is to cut the side bodice and side skirt piece as one, and use the part behind the "tab" as the pocket extension.  Then you would only have to add the front pocket piece/facing.  You'd save fabric doing it the first way probably, but the second way might be quicker.

It might be quite slimming to use contrast piping on the princess lines and down the CF edge of the dress, too.  Or, if you're going to do silk ribbon embroidery, why not whip the seams on the outside with the silk ribbon?  You could easily do the collar and sleeve edges too, or whatever.  I think that would be my choice of embellishment. 

I'm getting all excited about your dresses, girls! :)

Offline cmarie12

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 04:43:45 AM »
Liana ~ those are some great suggestions!  I will have to print them out and keep them with the Tamatsou dress pattern for a future alteration.  Maybe that's what I can do for the next version instead of making it up straight out of the tan/blue/brown piece I have designated for it.  Otherwise this dress might end up being made next spring/summer and not this one!  I still have a very long list of garments that I want to make this spring & summer!
Carolyn
My Flickr Albums

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »
Hi Liana,

I did after all order   ;D ;D ;D ;D   the Marfy Cataloque "just" last week,24 May, and I
received it today, 30 May. How great and FAST is that.......
I received a skirt, shirt, and cape pattern with it.
I am anxious to try them out.
Keep you posted.

Sew-4-Fun

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 12:51:52 AM »
Wow!!  That really is fast! :o :)

I can't wait to see what you come up with.  What will you try first?

Offline Vicki

• Hongkongshopper
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 01:47:46 AM »
I love the look of the Marfty patterns, but is the smallest size 42?  On their website they seem to have a sizing chart for each pattern but I haven't seen anything smaller than a 42 :(
Vicki, Melbourne, Australia

My blog: Hongkongshopper

My photos

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »
Actually, Vicki, a few of their patterns apparently come smaller, but if you look at the measurements, a 42 is a pretty small size--not tiny, and not good for really petite women, but small nonetheless.  I still have to take the size 42 in at the shoulders, but the rest fits pretty well.  You should order a pattern that catches your eye and play with it--or order the catalog (good for lots of hours of inspiring gazing) and work with some of the free patterns that are included.  I bet you would  like it.

Offline Vicki

• Hongkongshopper
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 01:08:47 AM »
Thanks Kathryn!  I am sure I would like it.  I have lost some weight as I have been bodybuilding with my sister and a personal trainer (he is a professional bodybuilder).  Just putting some fun into working out ;D  Anyway I haven't bulked up anywhere but actually lost quite a bit of body fat and am now a good size smaller than the 42.  Which I am not complaining about, but none of my work clothes fit anymore ::).  Lucky I have that fabric stash! ;)

My photos

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 01:14:22 AM »
I received Pattern # 9631-shirt, # 9630-cape and # 030-skirt, and the 2005/06 Fall/Winter cataloque.
The cataloque has beautiful designs.  The smallest size on these patterns is 42.
I think I will try the shirt first.... hopefully I'll have time to start and finish it before we start packing for our move.
We bought another house, just minutes away, back into a subdivision, :) :) and are moving first week of July....I am very anxoius...
but it will take some time away from sewing :( 
I'm sad to leave my beautiful sewing room my husband made, but I am promised another.....
This could be fun. ...I think.. :-\ ;D... to start all over again...

Will keep in touch

Sew-4-Fun
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:23:11 AM by Sew-4-Fun »

Offline CarolynGM

• Arkansas
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
Vicki -- I'm smaller than a 42 on top, but ordered two top patterns anyway. I made one of them twice and found the size 42 quite roomy, even for a loose-fitting style.  I love the pattern but had to downsize quite a bit. The catalog includes size charts for sizes 38 and 40, but I couldn't find a single pattern smaller than a 42.  I'm not petite (5'9"), so I imagine quite a few people will have the same problem I did.
Carolyn

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
I think some of their Sposa (bride) patterns come in the smaller sizes.  The size 42 translates to 34.6" bust, 26" waist, and 36" hips.  It's too bad they don't offer smaller sizes, though.

Congratulations, Vicki, on your "new" body!  All that hard work has certainly paid off.

Offline Vicki

• Hongkongshopper
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
Thanks Irina,  I am small on top and I think I might be asking for trouble with Marfy.  Anyway, there are plenty of Burda and the like to try! :)  I might try a Burda WOF petite pattern and see how that goes.  I am not short -  I'm 5'5, but the proportions might be good.

Thanks Kathryn for the congrats.  My new and improved (well depends on how you look at it) measurements are a good inch less than each of the Marfy's for 42! :(.  And i have to say that just small changes at the gym have made a big difference.  I am not going more often, just concentrating more one one area of the body at a time.  And just working that part out once a week.  Must admit I have also been counting calories and have cut out those late night treats and reduced the glasses of wine! :'(

My photos

Offline LindaL

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
I just received the Marfy pattern yestserday I ordered in late May  :D

My DH was home and had to sign for it from the postman.  He was rather excited that I had gotten something from Italy.  When I told him it was a pattern he gave me a look-somewhat like this ::).  He is rather confused by my buying patterns and then turning around and selling some.  I don't understand his confusion ???

Anywho, I was surprised by how the pattern comes but understand better what others say and about the comment on the Vogue website about printing out the picture of the pattern as you do not get this with the pattern.

I did not fully unfold the pattern as I have way too much stuff on my cutting table in my sewing room as well as stuff all around the room.  But I am excited about the pattern and started looking at some fabric in my collection that I want to use. Unfortunately there was not anything particular that jumped out at me which leads me to believe that I need to look at some more fabric.  DH does not understand this either ;)

Offline Ann C

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
LindaL,

What is it about these DHs?   ;)  I don't know why they don't understand!   ::)  My DH gives me that same look occasionally - especially when buying more fabric after giving away about 10 tall kitchen trash bags full!  Why is that so hard to comprehend: ;D ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 07:27:40 PM »
Linda,  How exciting!  Strange how these men seem so easily confused, isn't it?  ;)  I think we all understand completely.  Maybe we're just extra smart!  :smug: :D 

What kind of fabric are you thinking of?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics