Author Topic: What you sew vs what you wear  (Read 9891 times)

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
What you sew vs what you wear
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:02 AM »
Having got the SWAP completed just in time and also having had a wardrobe clear out a few months ago, I am now in a thinking stage before I plough on to the next project.

I've started to ask myself, if what I sew matches up with what I wear in the life I'm actually living.
So for instance I work in an office as an IT Project Manager - this involves mostly pantsuits, but can be dress and jacket. I feel underdressed if its cardigan and trousers. Then on a Friday I usually work from home and wear jeans, and at the weekend I'm seeing friends or out walking so wear baselayer and walking trousers. I then have gym kit and PJs. Church varies a bit, but I must admit they often get me in jeans and fleece!

Other than the odd Christmas party or wedding I don't really need anything dressier.

I'm rambling a bit here, but would like to sew more strategically for the life I have.

Offline datcat23

• Datcat
Re: What you sew vs what you wear
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
I work in a school office, so my dress code at work is mostly dress pants and a button front shirt.  I am trying to mix this up a bit though, as its a school not a high-level industry, and often I am crouching down to children or treating wounds in sick bay, and so need a more flexible wardrobe.  I am pretty much sticking with pants though, as they are more practical, but alternating the standard top with knit tunics or softer lines.  Friday is always casual, and then its jeans and knits for the weekend when out and about, or stretchy lounge pants and knits for at home.  There is no church so no church clothing.  I go out very rarely, and even then it tends to be good casual.  I very rarely dress up, so have a collection of formal outfits in the cupboard that rarely see the light of day (or dark of night).  My sewing tends to be at the casual end of the range, topping up my knits and comfy stuff.  I haven't made pants for myself before, so that is probably my next challenge. 
Dani from the wilds of Canberra Australia.
You can read my various ramblings at http://www.castley.net/datcat/
The barefoot seamstress ..........smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and craving chocolate badly.

Offline kathyann

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
I will readily admit I overthink everything, but I love planning stuff, even though my follow-through is somewhat lacking! When it comes to what to sew and how it relates to what would be most useful:
  • The number of clothes for a category should be directly proportional to the percentage of time you wear clothes in that category
  • I invent capsules for the different categories of clothes (e.g., work, casual, social, winter outerwear, etc.)
  • I know there are some categories I'm not going to sew (maybe you don't want to sew pantsuits, so you concentrate sewing tops to go with what you buy, or another category)
  • I try to pay attention when I hear myself thinking, "I wish I had ______ to wear to this event/ to go with this ________/to deal with this weather."
. . . Then I usually start sewing wherever whim takes me at the moment  ::)

Modified due to punctuation issues
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:05:13 AM by kathyann »

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
Great Topic Ruthie!

Kathyann I have a similar approach to you particularily noting my wishing I had this...

I need at least three different plans - One for dressy numbers as I often relieve at a private school and the dress code is quite strict.  I love planning for this as I can often be in the sewing and design department.  Quirky and avantgarde has its place here - I am surprised how many teachers wear designer brands as well.  The great thing about this wardrobe is that these items are usually what I wear out to dinners and social occasions etc. 

My second plan is for public schools which do not  have the same dressy requirement - in fact occasionally I wear things from plan one and always get asked where is my job interview or"date"!!! So normally trousers and a nice top work here.

My third plan is for the weekends/gym/watching on the side line of children's sports.  So that is usually jeans, shirts and jackets in winter casual gear.

I am trying to simplify things as my closet just can not fit everything in it!  I have been reading Gok Wan's book "Work your Wardrobe" to reduce the amount of clothes I have and try and get some more cross over.

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »
Yes, Ruthie, I asked myself that same question earlier in the year.  That's why for my mini SWAP (6-pac) I made 4 tennis skirts and a tennis warmup (tracksuit to you).  If I actually sewed for my lifestyle I would learn to make swimsuits...they're on my to do list.  Unlike many others I have occasion every weekend to go to a formal dance. That's why this year I have been putting a lot of effort into making some very plain but well fitting dresses for these events.  (You would think, wouldn't you, with all this physical activity that I would have a good figure but unfortunately that's not the case for my post-menopausal self.)  I also live in Atlanta and in anticipation of the hot summer to come I am using a TNT for some cotton shift dresses.  I have to say I believe I have been sewing for my lifestyle but my failing is I buy so many gorgeous fabrics that don't actually fit into this plan...I have lots of very pretty wool...why?

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
I have to say I believe I have been sewing for my lifestyle but my failing is I buy so many gorgeous fabrics that don't actually fit into this plan...I have lots of very pretty wool...why?
That had always been my problem too, Carole.  After 10yrs into retirement it's finally clicked - no more fancy wool!!  Now I just purchase fancy denim!! ::) ::)  I do a lunch and a breakfast each month that I "dress" up.  I have enough dress clothes to last two lifetimes. 

At the moment I'm struggling with 'what' I want to wear for my everyday living.  In the past it was jeans - most of which I'd made out of fancy denim.  When I had the hand surgery I couldn't button jeans so wore elastic waist pants.  I've really enjoyed wearing a 'slack' style vs a 'jean' style.  Sooo, I've been making slacks using denim or everyday type fabric.  For summer in the mtns I find that denim doesn't attrack as much 'dirt' as other fabrics.  Every once in a while I just 'have' to make something very artsy, but, there again, I'm not sure it's "me".

Good topic Ruthie.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline mollypcbb

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
I am a retired school administrator. While working I struggled with the expectations for serious clothing and looking stodgy. I always worked to have an element of fun, and maybe dressed a bit "young".  Now, I am in jeans and tops most of the time, have cleaned out the work wardrobe and have some fun dresses and skirts...but don't wear them often...small town, no place to go.  I have patterns I want to make, but find the same dilemma, so I think I will just make things to make them and enjoy the process, or force myself to wear them.  I love the creative part more than the practical.

I did, however, make a dress for my daughter who is a teacher and she called me yesterday after wearing it for the first time for parent teacher conferences. She reported that she received a lot of positive comments, people wanting to know where she got it.   Maybe I will stick to making dresses and skirts for my daughters for now, since they have the places to wear them.

Offline marie-louise

• Oakland, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
I need clothes for both ends of the spectrum, but not much in the middle. I am a retiree in the SF Bay Area. Most of the time I wear casual pants and a T-shirt or cotton shirt. I also go to the SF Symphony/ Berkeley Rep/ nice dinners a few times a month. More and more, I see people wearing jeans to the symphony, but I still like to dress up when I go. Since DH often wears a suit and tie, I'm afraid of looking like we're on a first date, LOL.

I've been asking myself a similar but a little different question than yours. What do I want to sew versus what do I want to make? Last fall I decided I really wanted to get over my fear of knits. You all make it look so easy to make a T-shirt. Well, I made a lot of poorly sewn, poorly fitting T-shirts until I mastered them. I'm glad I overcame my fear of knits in case I see a special knit fabric I just have to have, but I decided I really like the look of a plain simple white or black T-shirt. I decided I'd rather just keep ordering them from LL Bean. I also love the $100 silk T-shirts Eileen Fisher sells. Yeah, I could save $60 by making them myself, but she sews that clear elastic into all the seams and silk jersey looks like my idea of a nightmare afternoon.

When I sewed 25 years ago I fell into the trap of never being satisfied with the fit of anything ready-to-wear. My perfectionism about fit became oppressive, because I felt like I couldn't buy anything. I'm determined to not become that fussy this time around...although it is tempting.

My plan is to keep sewing what I love to sew and buy the rest. For me, that's elastic waist pants and woven shirts, both dressy and casual. I love The Sewing Workkshop patterns; those shirt/ jacket patterns can look dressy or casual depending on the fabric chosen. I also love to sew robes and nightshirts; it is so rewarding to make something cute to wear around the house.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I buy so many gorgeous fabrics that don't actually fit into this plan...I have lots of very pretty wool...why?

Lots of us are going to be nodding our heads in agreement. Pretty wools are soooo darn luscious. I have several pieces still in the stash and probably don't need to buy another piece of wool for the rest of my life.

The exercise of figuring out the % of time you spend in various categories of clothing and then making your actual wardrobe synch up with reality is a useful one. I'm a new (yesterday!) retiree, so in the coming weeks I'll be figuring out what I need for my new life and packing up my work clothes. Some of them can be redirected to everyday, and some to client/club meetings/church, but most will get donated and my closet will be pretty empty! I need some evening wear, too, but for me that mostly means luxurious fabrics in comfortable styles, not gowns.

I recently made a pair of Marcy Tilton pants and they have become highly symbolic of my liberation! I'm sure I won't end up as a full-on arty dresser, but I'll enjoy adding some funky fun to my everyday wear. I am also been interested in historical and folk costume, and will probably experiment with adding some of those items, too.

Offline redside

• American Age Fashion
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
I think this is a problem that most of us face.  These days, as clothing gets more and more casual, it is hard to know when (or why) to dress up.  I started sewing again about fifteen years ago to make jackets for work--I was a college professor.  I still love to sew jackets, but honestly I don't need that many now in retirement--at least not the tailored, lined, silk kind that I enjoy making.  The clothes I wear most often--pull on pants, stretch pants, t-shirts--I make, but they are not all that challenging.  The answer for me is perhaps to learn to make more complicated casual clothes.
Redside--aka Lynn
My fashion history blog: www.americanagefashion.com

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
In my pant quest I've rediscovered the LH pants.  I've made 2 bilbao's in fancy sparkly denim - and I just did a try on of the old Studio pattern from 1996 - basic pant, which is a LH design.  I can not believe the fit and look of this basic pant!!  This one I made in a bright coral/pink poly that I purchased at the thrift store for $2!  With a nice top and cardigan/jacket - I can go anywhere.

One of my problems is that I'll see what one of you has made and I want to use THAT pattern - with no thought to - is it me/where would I wear it.  I've had to really try and control myself with that one!
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline cheetah

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »

. . . Then I usually start sewing wherever whim takes me at the moment  ::)

Modified due to punctuation issues

This is the part I have down to perfection. The rest I have to work on...

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »
I've been trying to work on this very dilemma for sometime now.  However, the sewing ADD often intervenes, and I just pull out fabric and pattern and begin cutting with no long term plan.
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
I think I'm going to be the odd duck lol.  I love to dress up for everything.  Work, going to the store, meeting up with friends, etc. Even my casual clothes gravitate towards tailored shirts and upscale flared jeans paired with a european style athletic shoe.  I only have a handful of graphic t shirts that I love to wear out in public. I'm always WAY more dressed up than my SIL when we go out.  She'll be in jeans and a tshirt and I'll be in skinny jeans, kitten heels, and a cowl collar knit top.  Don't forget the bangles, necklace, and big sunglasses either!

This is probably what I'd wear to meet up with friends

butterfly sleeve knit top, tailored jacket, and skinny jeans.  Too bad you can't see my awesome Lela Rose cut out bootie heels!

ETA: All that said, I make stuff I will wear. I keep an eye out for fashion I love, then find a similar pattern, then find the perfect fabric. And now I sound like an insane perfectionist lol.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:06:57 PM by Lopaisate »
I'd wear Chanel to a soccer match just so I could heckle the ref in style.

http://www.talesofatravelista.wordpress.com

Offline Annette

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
Lopaisate,

I admire your style! You look great! Keep going the way you are I say.
Annette

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
To be fair and in full disclosure I use to have HORRIBLE fashion style.  I once had a coat that was so ugly my co-workers staged a fashion intervention.  They bought 15 coats, brought them to work, and then told me that I wasn't allowed to leave until I picked a new coat that didn't make me look like I belonged in a nursing home.  I think I was 27 at the time :D After that I tried a little harder to pay attention to fashion until I grew into the style I have today.

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
Most often I wear what I sew.  Sometimes I'm not happy with the way a garment turns out or I discover that the style really isn't working for me.  I have more of a problem buying fabric and patterns for the life I don't lead.

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
Most of what I sew, I wear often, since I mostly have a good match between my very casual artistic life and style. BUT the one thing I keep sewing for myself, and NEVER wear are tunic style tops! My eye loves the way they look, and how they offer a great canvas for creative embellishment, but once sewn, they languish in my closet unworn!

I managed to send my beloved mother home with one of my tunics on her recent visit, since it fit her, coordinated with her new travel wardrobe, and it meant it would get actually worn (not to mention travel with her to Spain next month!)

this is me wearing said tunic
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
Ironically I have a work lifestyle that could take some nice tailored wool jackets, I just don't have the time and patience to sew them.
This is sad.

I was planning on actually buying a suit for work as one needs binning and two are too tight, but I;ve switched instead to the dark column, bright jacket and that works quite well.
I could fairly easily sew up some plain dark tops and wide leg pants and pair them with bright RTW jackets for work. Not exciting sewing, but an inexpensive way of looking pulled together for work.

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Not exciting sewing, but an inexpensive way of looking pulled together for work.

That's actually one of the best ways to have a versatile wardrobe.  Have your basic bases that you can jazz up with less expensive accessories and coverings.  You're ahead of the curve Ruthie!

Offline mollypcbb

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
Lopaisate,
I love those she's...I have several pair similar and I always do feel great when I do dress it up. I just get lazy....but what a waste of some cool stuff I have in my closet.  I recently had foot surgery and won't be in my great shoes for awhile, and I miss them.  I have been playing around with mixed media aprons and some personalized 'prayer flags' to hang out when we camp. That is all fun, but I am ready to venture into more clothing...knits scare me, haven't tried yet....why is that?

Offline lydia

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
I have wool which probably will never see the light of day, silks, wonderful cottons - you get the picture.  I haven't worked in almost seven years, and then didn't need to be on the best dressed list.  My wardrobe consists of black slacks, black or colored tops and some very nice jackets.  Other than this, I don't have to dress.  I love to dress for occasions - but it seems in this area - going to an occasion means maybe cleaning off your athletic shoes.  I get rather grouchy when I go to the trouble to dress and see someone looking as if she is on the way to the mailbox or to the farmer's market.  Is this a trend or am I just over critical? 
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
I recently had foot surgery and won't be in my great shoes for awhile, and I miss them.

There are lots of super cute ballet flats out right now! If you need orthotics you should check out this site. They have tons of really fashionable shoes for people with feet issues

http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/naotwomen.html

I get rather grouchy when I go to the trouble to dress and see someone looking as if she is on the way to the mailbox or to the farmer's market.  Is this a trend or am I just over critical?

Perhaps Im mean but I just take that as an opportunity to remind myself that I look awesome :D

Offline hawkemorningstar

• Passionate about colour, texture and desgn
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
Lopaisate I love your style and philosophy too.
 I love fashion and colour and design so much I am so happy I can sew and wear items that I could not afford to buy RTW, or new trends each season.
Some clothes I have sewn don't get worn too much and some get worn to death. Comfort is a biggie, it may look good on me but the fabric may be too stiff or itchy or whatever. I reach for dresses a lot esp knit ones so plan on making more this summer.
Yes this is a great topic Ruthie, one I was pondering on as well last night when deciding on the 6 PAC.  Should I stick to Nancy's strict column rules or just sew what I know I will love to wear and need right now.
At the beginning of each season I list trends, colours that I like and plan clothing accordingly  that I will love to wear but also fill gaps in wardrobe, stuff that needs replacing, it has gotten stained, worn and do I need fresh pieces.
I am terrible however at replacing lounge wear, it gets worn lots , first thing in morning and eves, weekends at home. But its far more fun planning and sewing work wear as it will be "shown" to the public.
That's the bulk of my sewing, clothes for work.
I am also planning a fresh new bunch of workout clothes, they get worn out very fast. I have bought yoga pants and workout bra top-tees but want to make a new set of these as starting June I will join a new gym and workout a whole lot more in gym classes.
 Its good for our egos when people ask where you got that cute top and I can say " I made it" Like today at a lunch seminar I attended, a lady admired my pants and top and I said just that.  8) 8) I want that to happen too for cute workout clothes I have designed myself LOL  :laugh: :laugh:

And lastly I do sometimes make things I will wear very infrequently but its more an exercise in an art form, I just LOVE the fabric and or pattern. The process of sewing it was fun ;) ;D ;D
He who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity, like the Sunrise

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
Blue Mooney  which Tilton pattern did you use.

Indigotiger - Isn't it nice to find a good home for some of our "ophans" for lack of a better description!  Glad your Mother was able to wear that top.  My DIL is the recepient of a lot of my sewing - either when I get tired of it - of if I decide it's 'not me' after I finish it.

Offline returntosewing

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 01:32:30 AM »
When I retired, I gave away all my suits and heels.  Then I went through a sloppy stage since I could never dress that way while I worked and that lasted a few months until I realized how I looked.  Now I sew lots and lots of linen skirts and pants sets which I wear with sandals or heels (only about two inches).  I even decided to lose some weight to look even better in my clothes.  So I feel that even thought I don't have to dress for work, I do feel better getting dressed in something nice every day makes me feel really good about myself.
Sue

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 01:50:12 AM »
I totally agree.  I do my hair and my face everyday - even when we're at the cabin.  When/if I walk past a mirror I want to be happy with the image I see!!

Offline Sewtofit

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
I also am into dressing up for any and everything.  I learned early on as a Mary Kay rep right after my 20th birthday, to always look your best even when on the phone.  As a trainer in the college job placement office and a recruiter when I moved into the corporate workforce, we trained first line employee to smile at a mirror before answering any phone call. 

I'm long pass those days now, but still I hold to those very principles. Put your face on every morning: don't go to the mailbox in house shoes, never leave the house in rollers, ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS look better than husband.  Your kids respect you more, you respect YOU more.

As for fashion styling, I do have to admit I am having a time with trends, so I try to make whatever is happening fit into my wardrobe.  My current wardrobe is always 2+ inches up from flip-flops which I only wear when I have on shorts or a very long maxi.  And then still I like to have heels.  I do ride motorcycles with my husband, which has put me in a dilemma,  I can't wear heels, and boots don't work here in the summer.  I DONOT wear tennis shoes....those are for exercise only.  Nancy-Nix Rice taught me something that has stuck with me since the 80's---- "there are too many options out there, and tennis shoes is not one of them." 

I work from home, occasionally I have business meetings, or a last minute call for lunch with my husband, my mom may need help (she gets sick alot), I am also the 1st call for my granddaughter's daycare...so, I always like/need to be ready at a moments notice.

Andrea...
http://sewtofit-andrea.blogspot.com/

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:19 AM »
"there are too many options out there, and tennis shoes is not one of them."

I will agree with this but only when it applies to big, white exercise shoes.  I love, love, love european cut athletic shoes. They aren't meant to be workout shoes.  They are meant to be a fashion shoe.  I had a pair of Diesel tennis shoes that I LOVED. I still miss them terribly.  I wore them until they had a hole in the bottom and I literally couldn't wear them anymore.

See *sniff* here they are  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(And if anyone is wondering that's a baby Spawn learning to walk in the Old Town Square in Prague, Czech Republic)

Offline Sewtofit

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 04:19:19 AM »
only when it applies to big, white exercise shoes.  I love, love, love european cut athletic shoes. They aren't meant to be workout shoes.  They are meant to be a fashion shoe.

Big, white exercise shoes was all women were wearing during lunch hour in "corporate".  It looked terrible, as though nutralizers or loafers weren't available for lunch hour walks.  The new "athletic shoes" are the nicest things since loafers for me....cause that is all I used to wear, along with the Sperry Topsiders.  I wore those until the leather dried out. lol....

Love you style, so true.

Andrea
http://sewtofit-andrea.blogspot.com/

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Marcae - I made V8397, the one with the tabs, in a natural color stretch linen. The website shows that this pattern is now OOP.

I've also made these from V8499, and they are fun to wear, too.

The right fabric is really important for me when making these funky pants. It needs to be drapey enough that it hangs fairly close to the body. That way the fullness of the pants doesn't add a lot of visual volume.

Offline Quincunx

• The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
I forgot something very important with the Vogue 1042 bustier-top dress:  if the hemline's that high, I won't wear it.  That got finished and I don't think I've worn it since.

Those few SWAP skirts that got finished don't sparkle, but they'll get worn.

What I don't sew, but should, are some extra jacket-like layers with non-athletic styling.  Haven't got a full-length mirror so I have to spot my reflection in shop windows, and darnit if I'm not always wearing the same hooded jacket.  What good is it to add some flash below the knee if my torso's wrapped up in the same mid-weight cotton 12 months out of the year?

. . .I'm long pass those days now, but still I hold to those very principles. Put your face on every morning: don't go to the mailbox in house shoes, never leave the house in rollers, ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS look better than husband.  Your kids respect you more, you respect YOU more. . .

There isn't enough makeup in the world to paint me Swedish--or to get me to respect my mother's makeup choices--or to get me to respect myself while wearing makeup.  The stuff's a "Kick Me, I'm Insecure" sign that I paid for.  That smarts.

That being said, the pointy shoes that fit but that don't mesh well with my gait have become my "out to the mailbox" shoes even though they're fancier than my everyday boots.  Shoes for the express purpose of going outside, but not anywhere.
Projects in Progress (photos only) - Technophile sans blog

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks Blue - - I've made one pair of Tilton's and I enjoyed wearing them.  I thought I had the tabbed pattern - but it hasn't surfaced yet - so??

Way back in the early 80's I was in DC for a meeting.  I swear 'everyone' had on white tennis shoes with very corporate clothings - men and women.  It was the darnedest thing I'd ever seen.  And they called the folks from CO 'hicks'???  I think there's a place for everything but in a 'dressy' situation white tenny's aren't the place to be worn!

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »

The new "athletic shoes" are the nicest things since loafers for me
  I wear athletic shoes all the time.  I even wear those large white athletic shoes, but on the tennis courts.  However, I'm 69 years old and have great respect for my feet.  I always have, and even with tennis and dancing, at my age I have no problems at all with my feet and ankles.  These shoes are the kind I prefer with slacks.  In summer I wear ballerina style flats with skirts or shorts.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Carole, all that dancing and tennis is keeping you young! I never would have guessed 69! Way to go, you.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics