Author Topic: Considering Opening a Booth at Farmer's Market  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
Considering Opening a Booth at Farmer's Market
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
I have a very good friend who happens to be my vegetable seller at the farmer's market.  When I was at her house over the weekend I was admiring her many aprons and joked that I should open up a stall and sell aprons and market bags.  She thought it was a wonderful idea and DH thinks so too.  I'm going to design the aprons and tote bags myself so as not to incur pattern infringement issues but what about the fabric? Do I have to get some kind of permission from fabric creatores to use fabrics for something I make money off of? I've seen this as an issue with patterns but not fabric and I just want to make absolutely sure I'm in the clear.  Thanks for your help!
I'd wear Chanel to a soccer match just so I could heckle the ref in style.

http://www.talesofatravelista.wordpress.com

Offline theresa in tucson

Re: Considering Opening a Booth at Farmer's Market
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
Here in Tucson if you were to go to a farmer's market and sell U of A or ASU aprons and totes you would run afoul of the folks who do the licensing agreements.  As to other copyright prints like Disney, NASCAR, NFL, etc, I don't know but suspect it would be as problematic because of the licensing agreements as well.  If I'm not mistaken, the licensed prints sold in the fabric stores are for personal use and not for resale.  As to the unlicensed or generic prints, I don't know.

Offline ljh

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
Actually, I think it is perfectly legal to sell these things as long as there is a disclaimer attached saying that your product isn't licensed, just the materials. Try Googling "selling licensed fabric". 
The major caveat here is that many, many large corporations will threaten to sue you anyway and it is really hard for someone selling a few things to go up against, say, Disney, so they quit selling the stuff.

With ordinary unlicensed fabric there shouldn't be a problem.
Linda

Offline Miranda Y.

• Miranda
    • Tales of a Travelista
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Oh I probably wouldn't use licensed fabrics like Disney or Nascar.  Im thinking like toiles, paislies, and polka dot type stuff. Sounds like I'd be in the clear.
I'd wear Chanel to a soccer match just so I could heckle the ref in style.

http://www.talesofatravelista.wordpress.com

Offline ljh

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
If you do it, we'll want to see photos  :)
Linda

Offline MJDavison

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
hey there, I'm new here and saw this post first and wanted to just pipe in my .02.

The first thing that comes to mind is repurping materials from other items. a) this is super popular right now b) I think you would be able to avoid those particular legal issues you're concerned about.

The second thing is that in the case of these materials having permission issues, more than likely not but if you get a resale license (if you're in the states this is not hard at all) you can wholesale your fabrics and also certain places (like Joanne's) actually have discounts for resellers. 

Meagan

Offline ThayerRags

• Keeping it simple....
    • ThayerRags Fabric Center
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
I thought that I would bump this old thread up and see if anyone else had tried a Farmers Market to sell sewn crafts this past summer, or are going to try it next summer.

A nearby Farmers Market invited Crafters in one weekend each month this past summer.  The other weekends of the month were food vendors only.  I think it was experimental to see if the crafts would bring in more traffic for the food vendors. 

We tried it for a couple of months but didnít do much selling.  We offered potato bags, doo-rags, curling iron caddies, baby bibs, small quilts, potholders, and that sort of thing.  The first month was fair, but most of the sales were to food vendors, and the second month had nearly no sales at all.  A friend of ours that makes and sells aprons said that she had done pretty well.

We got the feeling by watching the shoppers that they werenít all that interested in seeing craft booths at their food market, and seemed to totally ignore the craft booths.  The craft booths were mixed in with the food booths.  We didnít want shoppers to think that we were trying to horn our way into the food market success, so we quit attending.

CD in Oklahoma
"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go....."

Offline Ann

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
There is a Farmer's market in our commuity only sells produce, plants, cut flowers, and some food. No crafts at all. In the neighbouring community, they have the crafts in their Farmer's market.I don't see a lot of people at that one. The crafts all show up at the craft bazaar in November. There is a waiting list for tables it is in such high demand.

I had thought about doing reusable grocery bags, microwave bags, and maybe potholders. It was suggested that I don't for the Farmer's Market as people would walk by the table.

Ann

Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline ThayerRags

• Keeping it simple....
    • ThayerRags Fabric Center
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
....I had thought about doing reusable grocery bags, microwave bags, and maybe potholders. It was suggested that I don't for the Farmer's Market as people would walk by the table.
Ann

Thanks Ann, they certainly did at the two Farmerís Markets that we were at. 

Compared to 1-day & 2-day Craft Shows, the 1/2-day morning Farmers Marketís shorter hours appealed to us.  (That, and the easy setup in a parking lot, straight out of the truck & onto the tables, without having to tote everything some place.) 

But, I think the shorter hours may work against the crafters in a big way.  Since many of the vendors and shoppers know each other, and the vendors tend to bring only what they think they can sell each day, shoppers may tend to hurry to their favorite vendors to make sure they get their vegetables or duck eggs before theyíre sold out.  Any extra time the shopper has may be spent looking for new foods coming into season at other booths, and then back to the house, instead of browsing the crafts. 

The general atmosphere at a Farmerís Market seems to be more of a flurry of activity instead of casual meandering that youíll see at a Craft Show.  At least, thatís how it looked to me.  We could have stayed a little past the 11:00 AM closing time, but weíd have been there all by ourselves.  The shoppers were all gone before the food vendors began folding up, and most of them left at or just before eleven.  Some of the ones that had produce or eggs left over from the Farmerís Market traveled to another parking lot across town that a bank lets them use to try selling out their remainders.

Farmerís Markets by themselves may not work well for crafters, unless the Farmerís Market is part of a larger event or celebration.

CD in Oklahoma
"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go....."

Offline dscheidt

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
Actually, I think it is perfectly legal to sell these things as long as there is a disclaimer attached saying that your product isn't licensed, just the materials. Try Googling "selling licensed fabric". 

No, it's not.  The people who are selling the fabric have a license to sell it to people who aren't producing items for resale.  Production of things for resale from that fabric is a violation of the rights of the trademark holder (and is a slam dunk lawsuit for them, if they sell or license a product that's in the same market segment).  You can disclaim all you want, it doesn't change that.

Offline Jodieth

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Wow, this totally confuses me.  I have participated in two swaps, and one is going out today.  They have just been pincushion swaps, but mine have turned out so cute!  I have also made things for my daughter over many years and she is currently in college.  The girls are always telling me I ought to sell my things.    I personally would just like to keep something!  I am always giving everything I make.  This is the year for me to start selling or at least concentrate on sewing for myself. 

I enjoy the giving part so much though.  This thread is one I was really interested in.  Our farmers market in Arkansas has craft vendors as well.  I rarely go to the one downtown.  I usually go to one that is parking lot of church.  There they don't sell crafty stuff.  I will go to our next one downtown this spring and check it out.

What about items made out of cute fabrics from Amy Butler, Anna Marie Horner, etc.   I love the quilting fabric prints.  I realize things would have to sell for more, but the quality is so much better.  I am spoiled.  I started using these fabrics for grand children clothes and now don't even want to touch quilting cottons in Hancock's.  Miss Liz and Kona cottons you can get there though.  All the others have so much sizing and aren't tightly woven and smooth, especially the flannels.

Offline jtl

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
If the fabric is licensed etc and sold for personal use then you cannot make items from it and sell them.  My granddaughter attended UGA.  I made her a quilt from a bolt of licensed UGA fabric that I bought from fabric.com.  I have fabric left on the bolt that I plan to use for other personal items.  However, I cannot make items from the fabric and sell them.

There is a statement in the selvage of the fabric addressing this issue.  I have made fleece throws from licensed fabric and it also has the statement in the selvage.  I think I have seen this on some of the quilting fabrics I have used.

Offline nurselizk

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
This is a myth that just refuses to die.  They can  print what they want on the bolt or the edge of the fabric, but that doesn't mean they can legally enforce it.  If you buy the fabric, you are legally entitled to make items from it for resale.  Companies can and do intimidate people into stopping this, but when they go to court they lose.  Amy Butler now has a statement on her website (see FAQ's) saying that you can do as you wish with fabric that you purchase, and that the "not for commercial use" will be removed in future fabric printings.

Liz

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics