• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.

March 25, 2019, 11:43:25 am

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

SWAP 2019 - Discussion

Started by indigotiger, December 28, 2018, 12:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

angelsweb

Thank you all for your good wishes ... The surgery seems to have gone well from a technical standpoint, but it'll be a while before we know how much my vision was affected. I already have some of the visual field back, so I'm optimistic.

The keeping my head down for 5 days is going to be a real challenge ... But it will be worth it if it saves the vision in that eye. I'm planning some projects for the future. And the travel restrictions should be lifted in time for my planned trip to the big Paducah quilt show at the end of April.

Thanks again, all,

Angelia

Morzel

Angelina, glad to hear surgery went well. I do wish you all the best for the recovery!
Eva

warpjr1965

Oh Angelina I just now read your post, I am glad the surgery went well, and am hoping the 5 weeks goes by quickly!

I am plodding along. I imagine I'll finish, but I'm not putting any pressure on myself to do so, as this starts to take the fun out of it for me. I will probably keep finishing up the blue items, unless another shiny object comes along to distract me.
Wendy

Morzel

Mary - I really like the 'planning stage' photos of your dress fabrics with the skirt and cardi. Beautiful combinations of fabric! I would so look forward to seeing the finished dresses! And I am glad you decide you feel comfortable with this style, as I think the silhouette (and your styling) looks smashing!

dementedfairy - another wonderful garment. I do love those colour combinations, just up my alley.

Crazyquilter - also colours  that I like! And unexpected combinations, that lime green looks great with the teal and purple! I wish I would be as good in combining colours.

indigotiger - you've got so much done already! I am looking forward to more photos.
Eva

luz clara

Mary - thanks for your comment! Yep my SWAP collection is starting to shape up. I think by tomorrow I will have my major coral outfit finished - skirt, sleeveless top, cardigan-type thing, and. . . . a tunic made from a kimono I dissected. The fabric has huge black stylized moths stenciled on it! Close to bats! Stay tuned!!

M lambie

Angelia, I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well and I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Luz Clara, I'm really looking forward to seeing your coral outfit, especially the huge moths! Sounds so intriguing! :D

Stephanie, I don't know if you're checking in here as you get back to actual sewing ;D but I love your latest SWAP list/plan with the red and blue! I've enjoyed watching your plans evolve.

Eva, Dawn, and CCL, thanks for your nice comments! We shall soon see if my SWAP becomes an actual sewing event or remains a collection of ideas and plans. :)) CCL, I am also enjoying the varieties of lagenlook garments being sewn and am really looking forward to the finished collections.

Dawn, thanks so much for posting the photos of the casings and for mentioning Ivey Abitz's new collection! The casings look just as I imagined, but it was still good to see them. Do you find that the drawstrings ever hang down below the hem of the dress and become visible? Just wondering as I had that issue with a skirt way back in the day. On the other hand, I had another skirt where the drawstrings were meant to be seen...

I really lost myself down the rabbit hole looking at that look book! I checked out the Chevalier cardigan and for once I have literally no idea how that was constructed. I really like the asymmetric collar on the Chevalier frock and also the narrow pleated hem trim on the Montmorency frock. There's a lot to like in the collection, though, including the nice subtle colors. I wish I had a nice plaid fabric like the one used for the Nook frock in looks 27 & 79! Although I guess I could probably get a similar effect if I were brave enough to overdye a black & white plaid.

Will you be making coordinating sashes for your collection? I quite liked the Porte Cochere sash shown with this collection with its 3 (or should I say 6 LOL) narrower ties.

It's been pretty quiet around here lately -- I hope that means everyone is busy sewing and enjoying life! :D

crazyquilter

March 17, 2019, 04:52:10 pm #216 Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:57:55 pm by crazyquilter
Thank you, Eva. I love mixing colors.  I got a lot of practice doing it when I was making crazy quilted objects.

You're welcome, Mary.  I tie the drawstrings at the top, plus there is a ruffle below them, so no danger of them showing.  I do like the look where they show too and may try a dress or skirt like that sometime.

The IA new lookbook is an easy rabbit hole to get lost in.  After much study, especially of the lighter colored one, I think the Chevalier cardigan is basically a plain cardigan with an added narrow, pointed strip on the front that sticks up on top and bottom.  It has three, spaced rows of horizontal stitching that make casings in the bottom half and three hidden buttons (could be hook and eyes) in the top half.  Then the sides have what they are calling a leaf, another strip with three spaces for the ties to go through.  Sometimes they show them going all around and other times they are threaded through the sides and criss cross on the back.  The sleeves also have what they are calling a "leaf" for a tie to go around the sleeve.  I'm going to try it out and if it works, I'll use it for the teal cardigan in my SWAP. I think it will work just fine with the Burda pattern I'm planning on using.  At least I hope so.  My next task is to tackle tracing the pattern.

There are lots more images here.

I really like the navy Thatched Frock, too.  I have some fabric that I may try to dye navy.  I tried a tiny sample and it looks pretty good.

I also noticed the pleated trim on the Montmorency frock.  Do you think it's a sewn and turned tube before it's pleated on?  I'm thinking about trying that with my next top layer, the rust frock in my plan.

I think that's a good idea to overdye a black and white plaid.  I really enjoy overdyeing fabric in my washing machine.  I have some things that have been through two different colors of dye.  I am a big fan of muddy shades though, so I eventually get something I like.

I will definitely make sashes if I have enough fabric.  I've already made one for each of the two muslins I did.  I didn't have enough of the black fabric, but I should have plenty of the teal, especially if I leave the second ruffle off.

I finished my teal leggings from the two identical thrifted jersey tops.  Talk about ninja cutting.  I also managed to eek out a pair of leggings for our youngest grandsweetie and for one of the Barbie dolls.  Two actually for the dolls, but I sewed one pair wrong.  I've already worn my leggings twice.  They are super comfortable.  I really like the Peg Legs pattern, plus it's free.  Can't beat that.  I'll try to get some pics up soonish.

crazyquilter

Your sweater turned out gorgeous, Indigotiger!  It is so perfect for your wardrobe.  I hate that the fit isn't as good as what you would have liked.  Hopefully you won't mind when you wear it layered for winter.  Do you have any ideas for fixing that for your next knit?  I am so impressed with the complexity of the knit and heck, just with finishing a hand knitted sweater.  I knit all the time, but the only sweaters I've attempted have been doll ones or baby sweaters.

Dawn

luz clara

Wow Indigo Tiger - that sweater is a beautiful set of colors. That blue w/white is really pretty. It is a total bummer that it turned out not to fit so well. The vest pattern looks really great - looking forward to your take on it!
Luz Clara

indigotiger

March 19, 2019, 12:29:02 am #219 Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:38:38 am by indigotiger
I wet blocked my handknit cardigan this afternoon, and rather than being super gentle with it, as one usually does, I was just a little "rough" in the washing/rinsing. Not enough to felt it, certainly!  The rough wash was enough to just begin the fulling process a tad, as well as encouraging the yarn to "bloom", which made it enough less oversized that I am okay with it. It is super cozy, and I should be able to photograph it on me tomorrow in daylight.

luz clara - I am really eager to try the vest pattern, once I get the pages printed out. That it comes in a moderately wide size range and with bust size pieces up to DD makes me hopeful that it will not be a dogs breakfast trying to modify it to fit me. If I can turn it into a TNT pattern, I have an assortment of suitable fabrics that are too heavy for blouses and not enough yardage for a pinafore, that would be perfect as vests

Dawn - what made the cardigan possible to finish is that I was knitting with large needles at a fairly open gauge. I'll probably not be doing any more knitting anytime before next autumn, which should give me plenty of time to mull over how to try and do a better fitting job. This cardigan isn't bad, especially since I gave it the rough wash...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

sewsy

indigotiger, that sweater is absolutely amazing! What a fabulous job. It looks sooo cozy and warm. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Melinda_B

Quote from: Morzel on March 09, 2019, 02:08:40 amMelinda - how are you doing? Your AC top looks to be great. I actually like it with the stencilling already...

I really like the AC with just the stenciling, and will probably do something with that later on. 

I'm recovering well - the initial surgery went well, however I had a bleed literally as I left the hospital and ended up having emergency surgery to remove a tennis ball sized blood clot from my right calf.  I was on crutches for three weeks instead of days, and it's been a lot slower than I wanted.  And more painful.  But I'm recovering more each day, and have been back at work for the last week.  I went for a 2.5km walk today, and my legs felt better at the finish than at the start. 

I was just reviewing my SWAP plan yesterday, and working out what to do next now I can stand and sit for longer.  I'm still spending a lot of time resting with my legs up, so the AC work is getting done too
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

M lambie

Melinda, so glad to hear that your recovery is going well so far! ;D Sounds like you had a scary experience when leaving the hospital though. Yikes!

Indigotiger, your cardigan is just gorgeous! I love the subtle colors and your fastenings are just right IMO. So sorry the fit is off, though -- but good thing you are okay with it thanks to the rougher wash. Whew! I really can't wait to see a photo of it on you!

Dawn, well done getting all those different sized leggings cut from two tops! ;D It must feel nice to have another garment finished. Forgot to add before, but I like the different ways you've styled your teal dress. The spring color combo is so pretty. It's great that you're able to combine different colors like that. And it looks great with the black cardi & underdress plus that cute pin/brooch.

Thanks for posting the larger photos of the Chevalier cardigan. I can definitely see how it's constructed now. I hope it works for your Burda cardi! Regarding the narrow pleated trim, it does look to me like a tube that's been turned first and then pleated, though it's hard to tell for sure. Still, you could definitely get the look shown by making your trim that way, regardless of how the original was actually constructed. ;) I look forward to seeing what you do with the rust frock.

I'm wrestling with whether to make the push to actually sew my SWAP or just take it easy and sew at a normal pace (and thus have no chance of finishing). Now that I've actually decided (a) what I want to wear in general and (b) what garments + fabrics I want for SWAP (and/or my spring 6-PAC), it's all about "just doing it" rather than planning & decisions. Either way, I'm feeling pretty happy with my sewing plan, so that's good. ;)

treefrog

Melinda - Sorry to hear that you had a setback.  I hope all goes well from here. 

IndigoTiger - I love your handknit.  It's gorgeous.  Looks like you have your SWAP almost finished.

----
I've been continuing with my no-plan plan and having a lot of fun.  I've wandered off in a tangent of shibori dyeing and drafting my bodice sloper and finally have a well fitting sleeve.  At some stage I should have a look at what I've made an see how it compares to the rules.

Morzel

Indigotiger - The pattern on the yoke line looks great (I really like clean, seemingly simple designs), the colours are great and I am so happy to hear the sweater shrunk a bit with blocking. It is so worth being able to be worn not only as a winter layering, but for transition as well. Beautiful! And you knitted the last sweater 19 years ago?! Should make that a regular routine.

Treefrog - I am impressed by your great drafting and fitting skills. The blouse/shirt pattern you created looks great on you and fits perfectly. And I just can't get enough of that lace shirt - the pattern matching! The look! Want.

Melinda - glad to hear legs are getting better. Keep going! (Literally...  :D )

Eva

stephaniecan

Melinda: So glad to hear that you are doing so well now (in spite of the setback). I can't yet walk 2.5 k.m but I have been doing 400 m here and there and am so glad to be sort of walking again!

Morzel

Stephanie: good to hear you are allowed to step about, at least a bit... and I do love your blues! Blue seems to be a well used colour this year - just to my taste.
Eva

Sew Ruthie Sews

I've sort of lost the oompf for SWAP especially as my clothing cupboard is quite full.
I have been doing bits of mending and other small projects, but nothing for SWAP.

However I've already made 9 garments I think, so not a lot more to do to actually complete a SWAP, so maybe if the muse returns I shall be back here sharing.

(On the plus side it has been quite satisfying getting the mending pile down)
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

stephaniecan

Quote from: Morzel on March 22, 2019, 02:00:20 amStephanie: good to hear you are allowed to step about, at least a bit... and I do love your blues! Blue seems to be a well used colour this year - just to my taste.

Thanks! I do love blue.

I love your design thinking and the styling of the jacket is great. Similarly, I completed my blue blouse last night and although I wanted drop shoulder it may be slightly too much. I quite like it, but the next time I'll likely adapt a bit.

I look forward to catching up on everyone's SWAPs over the weekend.

Lisanne

Morzel - style need not be at all age related  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

stephaniecan

March 22, 2019, 05:45:48 pm #230 Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:49:16 pm by stephaniecan
Mary: I have just started checking back here and just noticed your kind comment! I love red and blue and so I am enjoying the sewing very much. I even splurged on some red silk for myself today. :)

Edited to add that I just looked at your thread and saw the wonderful blue fabrics you are considering for your simplified skirts. Lovely!

warpjr1965

There has been an awful lot going on around my house, none of it SWAP related, unfortunately.  I still have a viable plan in place to finish. I have over a week away from work, I'll be traveling for some of it, but if I am smart I can really get some things accomplished.  I plan to make up a Burda pants pattern https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/cropped-wide-trousers-052017 next, I have the pattern printed already. I'll just have to get over the worry about fitting and get going on it.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Love that pants pattern, Wendy. Those will look great on you! I am looking forward to seeing them made up.

Lisanne

Well Done Stephanie for making so much progress under difficult circumstances   :thumbsup:
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

stephaniecan

Thanks for the encouragement, Lisanne! I am absolutely loving being able to sew again. Hopefully if I can keep up the momentum I will be able to finish or nearly finish!

warpjr1965

Worked on fitting the pants this weekend. I've decided to use the Palmer-Pletsch tissue fitting method, and am bravely re-drawing the crotch seam on the pants. I still have one more tweak to go on that, then I may actually be ready to make the first actual muslin. I'll see if I can convince DD to take a few pictures.
Wendy