• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
August 21, 2019, 09:25:49 am

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2019 - Discussion

Started by indigotiger, December 28, 2018, 12:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fzxdoc

I'm loving that bat outfit, Luz Clara.  :thumbsup:

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

luz clara

M lambie

Luz Clara, that bat costume is awesome. I had no idea women dressed up like bats back in the day. ;D I'm interested to see where your SWAP planning goes next. I really love the colors in your inspiration image and I remember when you did a purple and orange (I think?) SWAP. Looks like you have some gorgeous fabrics to play with, too!

Ruthie, that pattern would be lovely in the ink satin fabric, if you decide to go for it.

Bessiecrocker, you are wise to be sewing rather than posting!

I've cleared away some of the mental fog surrounding my sewing plans and acknowledged that it really is too late (for me) to start working on anything that can be worn only in winter weather. And I've done all the alterations I can stand for now. ;) So I can begin spring sewing and SWAP without any nagging worries that I "should" be doing something else first. ;D Feeling a bit freer!

Sew Ruthie Sews

Mary sewing for Spring makes sense. I'm glad it helped break the block for you.

It prompted me to go back and look at what I've sewn and a lot of the pieces would still be OK for Spring. Even my wool coat only has a satin lining and so isn't for really cold days.

When we get to summer 6PAC I will probably think about some cool but OK for work clothes as I recall it being hard last summer to be cool enough but still work appropriate. The office has aircon but home does not so I would be changing as soon as I could once I got home.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

ejvc

Ruthie, I worked in a very hot summer climate for many years, and can recommend for summer sleeveless tanks under jackets, and lightweight lined skirts!  A lightweight sleeveless dress is another great alternative.  But cardigans and jackets for indoor wear are essential.

M Lambie, definitely springtime!

Luz Clara -- the first superhero-- Batwoman!
Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden.

Find me at my blog: http://ejvc.wordpress.com
- on Ravelry as ejvc  and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.  Deleted my insta account - hate the way Facebook (who own Instagram) treats my personal info so not giving it any more.

Melinda_B

Quote from: fzxdoc on February 06, 2019, 06:40:34 am
I admire you and Melinda for having/contemplating double knee surgery. It sounds so debilitating for such a long time, relatively speaking.

Mine is actually triple fasciotomies in both calves for compartment syndrome, my knees seem to be the healthiest part of me at present!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

luz clara

Oh my Melinda!  Even if it's not knees having your legs worked on sounds very challenging! I hope it goes well and that you recover quickly!!

luz clara

luz clara

OH Mary - your post inspired me! I have been sitting here so indecisive. And when you said it doesn't make sense for you to make cold weather clothes (in your climate) a little bell went ding ding! And I realized that you're right, and I don't need to make winter clothes either. B/c even though we are having a snowstorm in Seattle, that only happens about every 20 years. And I can put on layers.

The bat costume image is from a booklet I found called Victorian Masquerade Costumes compiled by Millicent Rene. There are lots of expectable costumes (troubadour, peasant girl) but also some very odd ones  - Lily of the Valley, Snow, and Comet (the astronomical phenomenon not the sink cleaner).

Stephanie - I looked at your drawings and I love w/that Pucci pattern. I did not love it when it came out when I was in high school. My mother always had this idea that I needed to wear little suit-y things, but I was a hippie of course and Pucci suit get ups (w/gloves) were not my thing. Now though I love it. And I actually purchased it on ebay last year but it still has not been delivered. (grrrr) if it ever comes I am going to make at least the jacket. I'm still not a suit-y w/gloves kind of person. . .

Luz Clara

fzxdoc

Melinda, thanks for clarifying that your surgeries will be on each leg, not on the knees. Sorry for my misunderstanding.  Even so, it sounds as though you've got some serious down-time ahead. I wish you well in your upcoming leg surgeries.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

warpjr1965

Oh Melinda, I hope you get good news on the 12th about your surgeries, and that they go well!

I am dawdling, as per usual. Yesterday was not a good day to sew, so I did not!  I feel a bit better today, so I'll clean off the sewing table (never ending task) as soon as DH wakes up, and finish up the 3 shirts I started last weekend.

then, I really need pants, so I may work on the Pink Eleanores, or start a new-to-me pants pattern. Not sure which yet. I know the Eleanores well, but I have to re-fit them which will take some time.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Mary: I just saw your good wishes message. Thank you! I am hating being relatively immobile as I am usually such an active person, but only four and a half weeks to go before I can put my foot down again. Fortunately, I found out on Thurs that they are going to treat me non-operatively! (I must look on the bright side.)

Melinda: Thinking of you!

stephaniecan

Luz Clara: I just saw your note and loved your comments re the Pucci pattern. I am also not a suit-y gloves sort of person but I do like the pieces separately. I hope your pattern arrives!

luz clara

Stephanie - I'm w/you. I like the possibilities. I hear that my pattern was shipped today so maybe, if Seattle ever returns to normal things like mail delivery and less than 10 inches of snow on the ground and the streets, it will arrive this week. at least being snow bound but w/electricity allows for good long stretches of sewing time.

Luz Clara

stephaniecan

Luz Clara: That sounds promising!

I was a little bit skeptical about the pattern as I have made up vintage styles that felt a bit too vintage for me but this is actually a great design. I made the dress and found the gathers at the sides quite flattering. The curved front and back panels are also cool. I had some issues with the FBA as I have small shoulders and a small upper chest but a full bust and so it took some tweaking. I wasn't fully happy with the curved front seam after my adjustments but the back panel eased in beautifully. I am very pleased overall with the final dress. If one didn't have to do an FBA I think it would be even better. Right now I am mid-way through the jacket and am hoping once my foot is a little bit further along I can start sewing again and finish it up.

luz clara

oohhh I am looking forward to seeing it. I do not have a full bust but I will have to grade that pattern up a few sizes. Still I agree - the dress looks flattering. And I love interesting jackets.
luz clara

stephaniecan

Luz Clara: I'll be sure to post the jacket once I'm done. I'm not sure that my fitting around the bust is ideal, but I am hoping I can get away with it. I'm making it with a punchy red fabric that I love, so I think I'll find it a useful item to wear with jeans and various other items. We'll see. I'm hoping to get back to sewing early next week.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Today I traced off the jacket pattern I want to make for my ink colourway.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

Yay, Ruthie! I am living vicariously. Your productivity and persistence are always so impressive.

I can't trace at all right now but am hoping that next week I will be able to put my leg down more and do some tracing and sewing. For now, I am working on side projects and dreaming of sewing.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Stephaniecan, I imagine that is frustrating!

I am not particularly excited about the jacket right now, but I can imagine wearing the resulting trouser suit for work, so hopefully that will get me through the jacket and then to the matching trousers.
I dare say once I've got started I shall enjoy it again. I've found if I wait for the sewing bug to strike it is a bit inconsistent, so I try to just keep on with the next project which usually brings the fun back. Sometimes things get parked for a bit when I lose bits in my tidying up.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

I always find your work inspiring, Ruthie. I am happy to see others being productive.

ejvc

Hey Ruthie, your work ethic really shines through and lets you do lots of stuff you really enjoy too.  Why not plan for a secret detail somewhere in the cardigan?  Like an inside pocket or label or something?

Stephanie, your drawing is just beautiful and I'm envious of your talent!  I love those birds.  Now to see how they look when knitted!

- on Ravelry as ejvc  and on Flickr as EJ VC.  Kind of a theme.  Deleted my insta account - hate the way Facebook (who own Instagram) treats my personal info so not giving it any more.

stephaniecan

What a nice comment from such an accomplished knitter, Elizabeth! I have knitted the male cardinal into a sweater before with some success (and also a hat), but the test with the female one will be getting the colour balance right, especially in regard to the contrast with the background. When I tried to knit a female one in a swatch a few years ago I got the colours entirely wrong and she looked more like a hen than a cardinal. I think I have a better plan this time, so I will hope for the best!

ejvc

Speculation now - since I'm sewing more and I feel it will continue - as to how my 2019 wardrobe might be possible for swap.

Inspired by: Liberty scarf
Neutrals: grey-blue and navy
Accent: plum
Accent: pale green
Print: grey-blue print
Accent: turquoise

Items in square parenthesis are items I'm making but which I don't think will count for swap because they were previously started projects not completed by the start line. K1 and K2 are my knitted items.

grey-blue pants, silver tee, [grey blue cardigan]
navy dress, [handmade wrap]
grey-blue skirt, turquoise cardigan (K1)
plum jeans, [blue-and-plum pullover]
navy tank, navy blue jeans, pale green linen-cotton lace cardigan (K2)
navy tee (Made previously)
navy knitted peacoat (RTW)

This involves speeding my production up a bit, but it might be possible.  I'll think about it.

Sew Ruthie Sews

That does sound really lovely Elizabeth, let's hope your sewing spurt continues!
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

warpjr1965

Elizabeth, it would be super fun to have you involved in SWAP this year!
I have a busy weekend, but right now am very optimistic about what I can get done.  I hope I can prep some projects, then I can employ the 20 minute idea to get a few things finished. My sewing table is cleaner than usual, so I'm ahead of the game there.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Elizabeth: That sounds like a beautifully-coordinated wardrobe.

Wendy: I hope you found the time to finish some things up that you were hoping for.

I am very happy this weekend because I feel as though I have learned something from this mobility challenge. I have been so fortunate to have my partner so dedicated to caring for me and doing all of the housework and shopping and so much more. Yesterday, my leg could finally be left down for a bit and so I managed to do some non-SWAP sewing. It was good practice for when he leaves on Tuesday and I can start my SWAP sewing on my own. I still need to have my roller stool delivered so I can move between the table and the ironing board, but even on my crutches I could manage. I also could have cut out the item on my table, but I let my partner do it as I decided to make him another pair of his favourite boxer shorts (old-fashioned ones with a buttoned fly). I decided that this would be participatory sewing! We will have a souvenir of this time with me off my feet. I think I'm going to embroider a little something on the bottom when I finish sewing them.

I also started knitting an easy striped sweater that I could include in my SWAP as it reminds me a great deal of the Venetian book shop photos that I included in my thread. Hopefully I can get a few items made in the next few weeks so I won't be so far behind on my SWAP. Being immobile has helped me to see in a way how important it is to just get on with things and stop thinking about making them. 

ejvc

Thanks, Wendy and Stephanie!  We'll see if it becomes a real SWAP or not!

warpjr1965

Stephanie, thanks for the cheers! I am glad to see you are finding some ways to work with your ankle, and am glad it is tolerating some time down.

I only got one shirt completed, and ended up cutting another T (tank top) from the remaining blue fabric, so I really only have scraps left. I do need blue bottoms, but I think I'll move on to the white series next, after I finish these blue tops.

I realize I have tended to purchase rather light weight knits recently, which are very nice but definitely need layering during the cold MN winters. Still, I'll use what I have now, but next year I'll try to purchase some interlock, or even Ponte for shirts so I can be warm and show off my hand mades at the same time!!
Wendy

Towanda

Quote from: warpjr1965 on February 18, 2019, 06:37:08 amI only got one shirt completed, and ended up cutting another T (tank top) from the remaining blue fabric, so I really only have scraps left. I do need blue bottoms, but I think I'll move on to the white series next, after I finish these blue tops.

We are on a parallel course, I'm working on a blue silk top. Next, I need to cut out and sew a blue cardigan. I have some white tops waiting their turn. I'm underlining some of the knit tops to give them more weight. I can't decide whether to go back to sewing blue garments or start the red group.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Wendy, the colour blocked knit top sounds interesting.
I do like the SA Barb pants, though wide waistband don't work too well for me I've discovered as I'm very curved at the back.

Wow DementedFairy, purple flares!!! You carry them off very well. The navy straight legs look good too.

Elizabeth, happy birthday and how lovely of your colleagues to give you a fabric shop voucher. It'll really help with those extra bits you wanted for your plan without having to spend any money.

I am part way through my ink jacket, but have stopped and started on a costume for my friend B. The fabric for her long black dress is some sort of lovely lightweight suiting with a bit of stretch. I might go back to the shop and buy some more for trousers for me. There is a bit left from the dress but not enough for trousers in my size.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

ejvc

Thanks Ruthie!  I spent an enjoyable time paging through their website today.  I have tomorrow half off so I may go there if I can persuade my son (we are going to see the Lego Movie II together).  He likes fabric stores though -- has a particular fondness for satin.

stephaniecan

Thanks, Wendy!

I am excited to get caught up on everyone's recent projects.

I am finally feeling better and am a bit more mobile so I should be able to start sewing in earnest this weekend. Yay! I also started a striped pullover this week that I think will be a fun and surprising addition to my plan.

Happy sewing, everyone!

Sew Ruthie Sews

Stehanie, you asked "Hmm...I wonder if there is a way that I can rename this thread?? In my mind this is now the Venice (Acqua Alta) Bookshop SWAP"

There is, you just go back to the very first post in your thread and edit it and change the subject line, I'll do it on mine for a day or two so you can see.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

February 21, 2019, 06:37:34 pm #173 Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:42:12 pm by stephaniecan Reason: to tell Ruthie it worked
Thanks, Ruthie! I thought I tried that once and was unsuccessful. Back I go to try again. Thanks!!!

Edited: Ruthie, I did it. Thanks.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Great glad that worked for you.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK