• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.

March 20, 2019, 05:42:35 am

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2019 - Discussion

Started by indigotiger, December 28, 2018, 12:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

Since it is after 26 December, I figure we get to have "actual" SWAP discussion instead of "pre-SWAP"...

Just wanted to chime in and say that the plans I am seeing that everyone is putting together look very inspiring to me, and I am eager to join in with my own efforts.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

What a good idea for a new thread IndigoTiger.

I have been in the fabric cupboard and got out some fabrics which would work with my palette

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

warpjr1965

Thanks for starting the new thread!  I've gotten a jump on my wrap, hope to be done with it tomorrow, and get another project cut out as well. I think I've also settled on my core fabric colors and accents.
Wendy

luz clara

Ruthie - I love your color scheme!

Luz Clara

indigotiger

Ruthie - Your fabrics are great, and I think your choice to switch to having teal as a neutral and the stone color as an accent will work really well.

Wendy - I am very curious about what the pattern pieces look like for your wrap - I tried figuring it out by looking at the pattern envelope and was stumped!

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

I'm feeling happier now I have two dark neutrals. Having mostly dark hair still I find that darker colours are more versatile for me.
Teal is a big favourite as I have blue/green eyes so teal is harmonious.

As my hair is mixed dark brown and white I find the textured fabrics are good so the two tweedy jacket fabrics which have lighter threads in a dark base echo that. I also like the mismatched 'suit' of a tweedy jacket and plain trousers as it is easier to replace the trousers as they wear out but still have a suit look.

The rose pink and stone should provide just a bit of a contrast to all those darker colours, the pink is a signature colour (ie particualrly flattering to my skintone, so good up round my face). It was originally a much less flattering apricot orange but I overdyed it with a bright pink and got this lovely rose shade. The stretch lace in stone will be a simple cardigan to wear over particulalrly the plain dark tops, as the fabric underneath will show through the lace pattern giving a nice texture.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

warpjr1965

Alison, here you go!

IMG_3423 by wendyr, on Flickr

Pattern piece 1 is the front, 2 is the back, cut on the fold. The back is basically a rectangle. You first attach the two "wings" on the front pattern piece to form the collar. Then you attach the front to back at the shoulder and neck line. After that all you have to do is finish the edges!   
Wendy

boppingbeth

Luz Clara, why not take the bottom fabric and add beads and lace in your colours in the style of your inspiration jacket?  It would look amazing. 

indigotiger

Thank you Wendy! I was really baffled by the pattern photos, since they made it look like just a plain poncho... that shawl collar will be nice and cozy.

luz clara

ahh Bobbingbeth - just this morning I found a used book w/instructions about bead embroidering. . . and someplace I have stashed a very fancy baroque stencil that will come in very very handy. I think a fancy pants beaded purple velvet jacket might be in my future.

:))

luz clara

boppingbeth

:applause2: Excellent!
I can't wait to admire it.

sharonspils

Great plans are here and Ruthie I like the sounds of the darker neutrals and luz clara that velvet jacket would be stunning.

With the heat wave we are having here at the moment my colours I have in my inspiration fabric are making it hard for me to sew  ::) They are more autumn/winter and I am looking for yellow or coral to make me feel like summer LOL, so I might have shot myself in the foot already with SWAP.

indigotiger

Sharon, I hope you can find some colors that work for you... I know that when I look at your inspiration fabric, to me the pale cream color, the light tan? and either the teal or the blue would be colors I consider to be summery... obviously YMMV

luz clara

I'm with Indigotiger. . . I think the blue and teal/blue-greens in your inspiration fabric could be very fresh and cool for summer heat-wave clothes.

You could also find another inspiration that includes coral. . . for me coral is a neutral! I think it's a year-round color!

Good luck w/your inspiration(s).

Luz Clara

Melinda_B

As usual, I'm away when SWAP starts.  Can't wait to get home and start on a plan - I do have to make a few things next week that may or may not make it into the final SWAP, but I'm seriously lacking in work clothes right now
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

warpjr1965

Happy SWAP sewing!

I've gotten most of my wrap completed. I could not source fold over braid locally, so I bought some faux leather and will create a binding for the edges. I was hoping to be done with this item before Jan 1, but I'll need more time now. I am determined to take a slow and steady approach this time around, the last few years sewing has happened in bursts which lead to some scrambling in the end.
Wendy

Grasshopper

Love to see everyone's plans and the thought processes on changes and modifications!

Boppingbeth, everything you said about making a plan that really doesn't work for you and changing your skirt silhouette absolutely resonated with me!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

indigotiger

Lyneisa - The way that Ruthie has described her color choices, and the things that you are considering, are also similar to how I ended up with the color palette that I have chosen for my wardrobe. I first ran across the idea of relating wardrobe colors to personal coloring when I read "The Triumph of Individual Style" years ago. In that book, one of the things the author talked about how our own colors (hair, eyes, skin tones) and how vivid or subtle our coloring is (high or low contrast) are clues to what may be our most becoming wardrobe colors... not the only ones, but ones that will likely look well.

My hair is a cool mid brown in color, now also full of grey, so grey/taupe/cool brown are better for me than warmer browns or khaki. My eyes are medium cool blue tones, so blue/indigo colors bring out my eyes.In my case, I have always had low contrast between my skin, hair, and eyes, so really high contrast patterns overwhelm me, if I wore a white blouse with black jeans and a red cardigan I would virtually disappear and all you would see is the clothing, so I try and wear garment combinations that are closer in value (low contrast, either all assorted darks or midtones)

Sew Ruthie Sews

December 31, 2018, 01:36:30 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:42:11 am by Sew Ruthie Sews
Lyneisa (Grasshopper). I completlely agree with IndigoTiger if you want to choose colours that are flattering to your natural colouring. (Some people don't and I respect that but I feel more harmonious if I broadly follow these).

Generally it seems to work well if your main neutrals are in a depth which relates to your hair colour. So navy and dark cool brown work well for me, and are particulalrly good if they have stripes or flecks in a lighter shade as my hair is variegated (aka greying).
I then like teals as they pick up my eye colour and pinks/burgundies/soft reds which pick up the pinks in my skintone. Becuase I do have obviously pinky lips and blue/green eyes I need to have some colour also in my clothing, but generally as a top or in a print.

In natural hair (ie not artifically coloured) there is usually some variation of darker and lighter areas ( mine is darker near the back neck, but lighter at the temples), so I think your idea of various lighter neutrals would work well for you.

QuoteColors like pale gray, ivory, beige, and tan get a lot of use in my wardrobe, so I am continuing with the idea of using the taupe gray as one of my neutrals and perhaps beige or tan as the other one. 

I think the scarf you used as your second inspiration is more in harmony with you than your original choice, which although striking has a very dark background. However you can ignore those dark colours and select the lighter colours from the picture - the book, wood used for pressing, inside of the apple, the string under the scissors, the light coloured seed pods etc.

And just for fun, here's me wearing a tee and necklace in some of my signature colours.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Lisanne

December 31, 2018, 02:18:56 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:37:42 am by Lisanne
Yes, good discussion.
The key dimensions of personal colour are :
warm - cool
light - dark
clear - muted
high - low contrast

Personally I think they need to add a couple of extra dimensions which Indigotiger and Ruthie mentioned :
- how unified our hair colour is.  Like them my hair colour is very dark-light mixed, and I look good in 'heathered' colours and textures.  While people whose hair goes pure white can look good in solid ones.
- how varied our personal colouring is.  Ruthie is a good example with lots of pinks and greens.  While my colouring is now all neutrals - tan skin, dark brown eyes, grey-white hair.  And I now look odd in strong colour, it jars.  A warm red used to be my accent colour.  I still love it but now just have it in accessories.  My lip colour is pale and I look truly dreadful in bright red lipstick !  Tho I have some interesting gentle colours in the veins on the inside of my wrists, which are subtle and difficult to find, but can look good.

Different dimensions are also important or difficult to get right for different people.  We may be clearly at one end of a scale, or somewhere in the middle.
Where I am on most of those scales means black is wrong for me in nearly every way !

These can alter with age.
For example I used to have high contrast between hair and skin, but not now.  Tho I have still got dark brown eyes, so a touch of dark colour brings them out.
And altho most colourists say our colouring gets more muted as we get older, I'm definitely in the middle of that scale.  Most colour recommendations for older people just make me look washed out.
And I've always had warm toned skin.  But I used to have very mixed tone dark hair, dark brown with auburn.  Now the auburn has all gone and my hair is mixed white - steel grey.  So my colouring is warm skin - cool hair, which some colourists say is impossible - ah well  ;D

For a fun comparison with Ruthie (she's also using an Imogen Lamport colour set), here's me with Imogen Lamport's test cards for cool-warm.

Although the cool colours go with my hair and lips - cover over the warm card and the colours look 'off', cover the cool card and the warms look congruent.

Personal colour can be an interesting and not at all simple exploration, but a style issue that is very well worth getting right.

I think the other two important personal areas are :
- shape, proportion, type of line (angles or curves) - more to consider about what looks good.
- style (classic, romantic, edgy etc.), lifestyle, values - what feels 'right'.
Again most stylists have very simple answers about these, and most of us find these issues difficult because we're very mixed.
The simple schemes can be helpful for beginners, to see the range of possibilities.  But then when they go further they get confused because they find things are not that simple at all and they get no guidance about how to work with combinations (sporting with a touch of romantic. . . athleisure is not the answer. . .)
Imogen Lamport is the style advisor who I find most aware about all the complexities which a particular individual needs to explore.

For people like me it's helpful to know about the theory under all this.  But like everyone else, I've actually learned what works by trying things out and being aware of how I look and how I feel about the result. . .

So Good Luck to all about these issues - it takes time to find out how all this applies to ourself, but every little step can be a help.
:heart_smilie:

P.S. and of course Ruthie is right that if you choose to go with colours and shapes that don't 'go' with your personal dimensions, then good for you and you can ignore all this  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

DaisyL

I am shamelessly trying to copy Boppingbeth's EF swap  :thumbsup:! I have spent the last hour trying to find shoes similar to the Mary Jane -type black round toe in the pic with the black cropped pants and black woven tank. I don't even see them on the EF site - the System pics are styled with black slides.

I need something with a sole/arch support that is a step up from my sketcher ballet flat type shoes I currently wear when not wearing boots. I work in the mental health field and will not wear anything with open toes. Any suggestions or links?

I'm trying to work out a mix of Boppingbeth's current plans with Ruthie's colors from last year. With black added in.

Grasshopper

Thank you, Indigotiger, Ruthie, and Lisanne for your thoughts on choosing neutrals and colors based on our personal coloring.  And thanks for sharing your own photos.  I do like Imogen Lamport's system a lot.  I am a Zesty in her color system (warm, light, bright) which equates closely to True Spring.  I do agree that going with my hair color seems to work exceedingly well as I find most every other color in my closet seems to work with it.  And like you, Ruthie, I have bluish-green eyes, so any colors in the aqua/jade/teal/turquoise realm seem to bring them to life, as well as warm kelly green shades.  I would say that my version of your pink is a pink coral to peach color that my cheeks are usually naturally tinted (unless wearing colors that drain me).  Even though at times the idea of restricting my color palette has felt very confining, I do like the idea of the cohesiveness it brings and I am finding that I may actually be on my way to unconsciously restricting myself simply because I find certain colors to look so much better than others.

Out of the inspiration photos I posted, I do agree that the second one with the taupe gray background is more harmonious with my coloring.  However, the feeling of the scarf is very autumnal and since the holidays are over, my magpie self is already thinking of spring and looking forward to the early spring fabrics and fashions.  Combined with the fact that SWAP ends at the end of April, which will already be nice and warm here in Texas, I am looking to sew things that feel more Easter Egg / Beach in color, if that makes sense.  I would love to find a scarf or fabric print that combines that light gray, khaki, ivory, aqua, and coral to use as my inspiration piece.  Alas, finding the perfect print is ever the struggle in building a capsule!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

boppingbeth

DaisyL, thanks for the complement :D

Shoes are weird. I have wide feet, and I spend my days running after children.

I've found some really good shoes from Dr. Scholls, like these:
https://www.drschollsshoes.com/en-US/Womens/_/Dr.+Scholl's/_/Num+192/Products.aspx

These are also styles I have purchased in the past:
https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/mary-jane-shoes.html

Particularly this pair:
https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/revere-brussels-womens-slipon-shoe.html

Sew Ruthie Sews

Grasshopper, you can use an inspirational image (does not have to be fabric)
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

CCL

Quote from: boppingbeth on December 31, 2018, 09:51:54 am
DaisyL, thanks for the complement :D

Shoes are weird. I have wide feet, and I spend my days running after children.

what about these...
clark shoes

luz clara

I am so intrigued and impressed w/the color knowledge you all wrote about here, Indigotiger, Ruthie and Lisanne. I realize that I have no idea what color my eyes are. . . I'm going to go look in the mirror and see if I can figure it out. They aren't blue or brown.

Luz Clara

luz clara

Towanda thank you for posting the link to Christine Jonson's blog - I am in the same place as you - making myself confused by trying to envision the whole SWAP at one time.
I am going to stop fussing now and just begin a jacket. And try to float along in my sea of colors. . .
Thanks again!

Luz Clara

Grasshopper

Ruthie, that image has exactly the kind of feel I was thinking about!  Thank you for posting it!  Having a print containing all the colors really helps pull everything together but finding an inspiration photo absolutely works, too.
Lyneisa

Medea

Now I'm back after a long time without no sewing for me. I've just had the inspiration to sew a couple of Christmas Gifts for my grandchildren.
But I have made some notes from time to time and I think I know where to start with my SWAP. Now it's only a question of when to find time to sew. But I usually can sew a lot of garments in a short time when I need so I'll try to pick my fabrics and then start the journey to a new wardrobe.

I'll soon try to write more about where my thoughts go about my 2019 SWAP sewing.
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

VWG

Oh, this is my favorite topic! Nattering on about Eye/hair/skin colors and sewing--learning to see and find those personal colors!

One of the hardest parts for me was understanding the concept of value. The application of lightness and darkness to color hues relative to eyes/hair and skin. It's like a gray tone scale with a printer, except with the endless ranges and shadings of colors.  The idea of "high contrast"/"low contrast" starts it but doesn't take the value idea far enough-- because value applies to three colorways in relation to each other--and that's an endless variety of relationships.

Go back and look at darkest value in both Ruthie and Lisanne photos. Their dark values are similar. The darkest value is the brown in Ruth's hair and  darkest for Lisanne is her brown eyes. If they can match the 'darkness" of their fabric--remember it doesn't have to be a brown fabric-- and support the value in the particular colorway they occupy (Ruthie's cool under tones and Lisanne's warm undertones) it will look cohesive.

(AND, also true:  if you can match the exact personal brown colorway, you can make a BINGO with eyes seeing the match.  Theres a twinge of satisfaction in connecting the same colors)

As Ruth goes grey, she will need to soften her color values, whereas Lisanne will always be able to wear a dark value in her clothes because her eye color is not going to change and will support it. Gray hair "cools" the triad so Lisanne has a competition going between cool and warm undertones.

Another example:
My sister is another one with the warm skin/cool hair opposition going on. The cowl top I made her for Christmas is a pretty good match of eyes, hair and skin tones, although the peach drifting into orange is a bit intense. Can you see her darkest value?

warpjr1965

VWG I think your sister's eyes are her darkest value?
This all now makes sense to me, as I think back on the garments I've made recently the ones I like the best have some contrast, and they all have some sort of darker value.
Still stalled on my wrap. Ended up with a head cold and sinus headache over the weekend, and trying to sew after work never goes well for me. I'll tackle the wrap and the binding this weekend when I have time to puzzle through it.
Wendy

VWG

Good job, Wendy! Can you feel your eyes finding the match between my sister's eyes and the deeper gold brown on the fabric? The peach undertone of her skin to the softer peach values on the print? And the match of gray shades to her hair? There's a distinct compositional art, the pleasure of visually gathering the repeating color matches/values between skin, hair and eyes and fabric.

Fabric hunting these days: the elusive troika colorway on one piece of fabric.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sorry, folks, if I hijacked the SWAP thread. This is a hopeless enthusiasm of mine. I'll go start a new thread under fashion/style and wardrobe tomorrow. I have a cold, too.

Medea

I've been checking some of your threads and I really like Towanda's talk about Christine Jonson's planning method. What a good idea to plan the sewing from one garment in your wardrobe. Thanks for the link:  (https://www.cjpatterns.com/blog/2018/12/31/new-year-sewing-resolutions-planning-for-2019-capsule-wardrobes)

Grasshopper, It is always a bit boring to sew neutral pieces but you'll them when you are standing in front of your wardrobe. I think I will plan my wardrobe with "boring" neutral summer pieces.
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

indigotiger

Medea - I love your inspiration scarf and the colors that you chose... looking forward to seeing where you go with it. The inspiration image is itself very summery, and seems perfect to guide a summer wardrobe. Though I so appreciate the design skills that go into the Hermes scarves, to me they are more "artworks" to admire from afar than something I would have in my wardrobe.

Morzel

So I returned yesterday from work and familiy celebration and work and family visit... to find so much going on!

Ruthie - what a beautiful tweed that teal cardigan is made from! Looks great and you got a good head start with that wonderful teal coat. I really like your colours and will sport similar ones in my sewing plan.

Medea - what a beautiful scarve! I really like how the water riples go across the picture... The lander pants are beautiful. I really like the large back pockets- maybe thats something I will try myself. And the culotte is a great idea - I have been playing with culottes patterns, but haven't come to a pattern I really like... just before chrismas I finished a pair of wide legged jersey ones, but would rather have ones a big less flared, like your style. Could the jeans jacket double as an evening jacket when embellished with a bit of glitz?

Bessiecrocker- did you stock up on the right sort of wine? And drinking the ones that are more orangey in your cellar?!  :D Those wine glasses are certainly all lovely shades of red.

Lillie - the photo is lovely, great colours. Sizing down: [img width=400] determines the width of the shown image - insert 'heigth' and it determines the height. The other side is changed accordingly.

Indigotiger - the finished dress is wonderful, I especially like the bias striped bodice. The blue wool looks good, what pattern will it be?

Wendy - that inspiration fabric will be great for the wrap! I do like the collar on the piece. What will you use for a binding or did I miss your mentioning it?

crazyquilter - dyeing really is a gamble, isn't it? Wonderful colours, anyway. Great first dress, also. The ruching makes an interesting  silhouette.

luzclara - I am thinking along your lines - start with one garment, go to the next, follow a broad plan and look, what comes along and eventually it will be 11 garments. Just be firm on the colours!

Towanda -
wow, what a wonderfully bright palette! I think bright colours worn with dark blue looks great - unfortunatley I don't feel able to pull those colours off myself, besides the dark blue...  ;D

grasshopper-
the scarve reminds me of lovely english fabrics I've seen in my mothers stash... don't overplan, start sewing with a wonderful neutral and go from there. The goal is sewing for yourself, the bonus is finishing the SWAP!  8)

Bobbingbeth- I also watched lots of Peggy's videos lately, and she has so many great ideas. I agree, the tech drawings and sometimes examples of garments shown on the envelopes are often uninteresting... but the examples she shows in her videos are often great! The Eileen Fisher concept sounded also great to me, but just like you I realise (thank you for walking us through your thought process) it is not for me. For one I want sleeves, which makes the Mix-and-Match less easy (long or short? How many sleeves above each other?). Also, she doesn't show off waist and is rather wide through the upper part of the body. My bodyfigure is bottom heavy and needs something slim above the waist... Well, you adjust accordingly. Tell us more!

Here I will stop for now, as I need more time to look through the remaining plans. I am having lots of fun reading them! But need to spend time rather sewing...
Eva