• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.

March 20, 2019, 09:52:31 am

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,45.0.html

Here I Go Again - Towanda's SWAP

Started by Towanda, December 23, 2018, 11:02:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Towanda

I have never completed a SWAP but I'm determined to try again this year. My wardrobe needs at work are changing again since my company is being acquired sometime soon. I'm not sure what to expect from new bosses so I figured I would up my wardrobe game. I feel better when I wear garments that I make. Of course, this is just an excuse to make a new wardrobe., lol.

My wardrobe has improved since SWAP and the 6Pacs started here because I've learned a lot from everyone. Almost all of my sewing has been based using on a core color which was black and then I added blue in April. Everything that I sew coordinates with one of these colors. A closet re-do taught me that bright colors are missing. There are a few holes that need to be filled. One thing that has frustrated me is the change in season in the midst of the SWAP. I tend not to wear garments that I make as a grouping until the collection is done. If I start sewing winter garments then all of a sudden the weather has warmed up sooner than I expected. I end up with garments that I can't wear until next year. I'm determined to make sure that every garment in this SWAP can be worn instead of going into storage. I feel like I'm all over the place with trying to plan what to make.

I'm not good at sticking to a specific plan so I will make coordinating garments. At the end, I'll work on mixing and matching garments until I have a collection and a bunch of coordinating garments. The only definite plan is to sew for the season ahead at the same time that I'm adding to the winter wardrobe.  Blue and white will be the neutral colors. The primary fabric for the collection is a lightweight navy blue wool crepe from FM.  A lot of the other fabrics will come from the stash. I have some Ankara prints that I want to use for pencil skirts. Not sure if these will work with the collection or be coordinating garments. I have a couple of blue and white stripes that I want to use.

My inspiration piece is a Telio rayon knit from Fabric.com that I just found. I had been searching for a while for a fabric that spoke to me. I was looking for a fabric that contained dark blue and bright colors. This fabric hit the spot. Final 2019 SWAP Inspiration by Towanda Maker, on Flickr
This is will be a knit top to wear under a jacket. I'll use the top pattern from Simplicity 8093 which is OOP. I found the pattern on Etsy. I'm thinking about using the jacket pattern from the same pattern. I found two other fabrics at Fabric.com that might fit in the collection or will be extra garments. I had a gift card so the fabrics are free to me  :applause2:

Towanda

I'm making a change in my plan already. I decided to change one of my neutral colors to red instead of white. Red will work better as my power color when I have to go to meetings with the new management team, lol. I"ll use white as one of the accent colors. I'm still keeping navy blue as the other neutral. Yesterday, I went to Michael's store and picked up some navy blue lining. I was able to resist buying more fabric. I ordered thread from Wawak last night. The last thing on my list is to order elastic.

The oldest grands just left to go home today. I'm glad that they were here for a long visit. My sewing room is their favorite hangout space so it got messy. I just finished restoring order to the room. After lunch and starting laundry, I can get busy.

Towanda

Planning is not my forte. I think that I'm overwhelmed with trying to plan the entire collection at one time. I think I can manage better if I break it down into smaller outfit groups. Christine Johnson had a blog post today on building a capsule wardrobe https://www.cjpatterns.com/blog/2018/12/31/new-year-sewing-resolutions-planning-for-2019-capsule-wardrobes 

Quote from her blog post  "I'll bet your New Year's resolutions for 2019 include more sewing! And further, that you want to make things that work with your wardrobe. Our EASY approach to building your wardrobe works with your closet and includes sewing a short number of garments, but building on them. Pick ONE item from your closet that you want to coordinate with and select TWO sewing patterns and fabric (from your fabric stash) to sew. "  She has a PDF attachment that you can download to help with planning.

I'm going to use this plan as my guideline. Instead of picking a garment. I'll start with a fabric - navy blue silk for a top and then add a navy blue wool crepe skirt and pants. The idea for the skirt comes from Boppingbeth's idea of a gored skirt. I drafted a ten gored midi skirt in PMB that I'm going to make a muslin for tomorrow. Today I'm working on the muslin for the silk blouse.