• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.

March 20, 2019, 04:55:13 am

News:

Gift yourself or a friend with a subscription to Stitcher's Guild!  Only $35.00 for a year of sewing advice, discussions, contests, inspiration, sew-a-longs, and so much more!

Luz Clara's Sunset Neutrals SWAP

Started by luz clara, December 14, 2018, 05:46:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luz clara

Hello All

I have decided to join up for 2019. I found my inspiration photo and I went through my collection of fabrics and I think I can do it!

I am attaching my inspiration photo. It's sunset at the boardwalk in Bellingham WA (and I don't know who took the shot so cannot credit the fine photographer!), and it's all my favorite colors including my top favorite neutral, rosy coral! I'm also showing my central fabric showing my two "sunset neutrals."

I have some other fabrics piled up, but I'm still working on my plans for what exactly to make. But I know damn well that I need a pair of rosy coral pants. And I probably need a pair of dark slate-y purple pants. Otherwise, I'm still thinking!

Luz Clara

luz clara

I am having too much fun playing with the palette generator (Thank you Melinda!!) In case you forgot to bookmark it, it's http://www.palettefx.com

Here are a couple of fabrics that made it out of the basement/closet and into the running for my SWAP. The handwoven one was a piece my mother wove for me a long time ago. She even gave me the left over yarn, although I have not located it yet. (Yarns live in a different closet than fabrics!)

Luz Clara

luz clara

Oh my. I am so easily distracted. Is there a universe in which Maestro Balenciaga's confection could be part of my SWAP??

Luz Clara

luz clara

My SWAP fabrics are creating some fuss in my sewing room. Slatey Purple and Rosy Coral are my original neutrals. But now grays are clamoring to get in and both fuschia and chartreuse are whining about being left out. I had to deliver the bad news to Chartreuse that it's going to have to wait until next time. It doesn't appear in my inspiration, despite the fact that it appears in my fabric collection.

The truth is, though, that I have four colors in a landing pattern above my sewing table - the dark slate-like purple family and the rosy coral family and a warm gray set of cousins, and their relations, the fuschias. I think they may all be neutrals (for example, I would make pants or a skirt or a jacket out of any and all of them). Alternatively, they could all be accents. I spent my half hour swimming yesterday fooling around in my head w/the colors and prints in my collection, and still couldn't make a rational decision about which is which. So for now I am going to call the prints, well, prints. Or accents. And limit them to 5. And call the rest of the fabrics potential neutrals. I have a panel of that rich colored Dutch cotton/lycra jersey that's gray w/a fuschia and purple flower abstract design. It's not a solid, but it's also not exactly a print. I am going to consider it a solid for now, and its status may change later. It was just causing me such confusion that I had to put it in a category and stop fussing about it. I have a couple of other fabrics that have more than one color (my central fabric and another piece I found). To save myself fussing I'm going to pretend they are "solids" or "solid-like." Until further notice and a status change.

Then I am going to start sewing w/my dark purple/rosy coral/warmish gray wool blend and make a jacket. And whatever catches my eye next will be the next garment. And at some point I will have 9 or 11 pieces. And then, after the fact, I might be better able to decide what to call a neutral and what to call an accent. If I end up w/four "neutrals," well, what can I say? These things happen. I may end up with a very cool closet that does not exactly match the SWAP rules. If so, I won't submit it as a SWAP. I will just be happy with my outfits!

Now I'm going to try to figure out what color my eyes are!

Luz Clara

luz clara

Just posting here to remind myself that the Dutch jersey-lycra panel has to wait until next time. B/c I looked at it under a broad spectrum light and it isn't grey at all, it's green! Or, it's a mostly green grey. No matter. It doesn't fit w/the others so next time around for you Dutch panels!

And. . . as I was drifting to sleep on New Years Eve, I realized that I don't need to include fuschia in any category. . . It is not one of my neutrals b/c I don't really have any plan to make a jacket or pants or skirt out of it. And I have at least 5 really wonderful prints that will be fun to wear w/my adored slatey purple jacket.

So today, as I look forward to a new year, my plan is a lot less complicated and silly than it was.

I have, I confess, come upon some fabric on the Coral Collection that is very alluring.

Luz Clara

luz clara

Good grief! It is already Feb 6 and my laptop is in the shop and my sewing table got covered up w/mysterious non-sewing things. Last night I looked in my SWAP planning box, and realized that I need to refresh my memory b/c part of my plan seems to be less interesting than I thought it would be. And for some reason, this morning this fashionable bat outfit seems like a really good idea: Luz Clara, too distractable as usual.

luz clara

OH boy! I have 3 (count 'em three!!) purple pieces finished. Well, 2 purples and my inspiration piece. Despite my resistance to "suity" garments when I was in high school, I have fun making a suity jacket. I also made a dark purple tank dress, and a dark purple w/small dashes of silver sweater thing from a really old Marcy Tilton pattern. I am hard at work on my coral pieces now. Then I will do my print pieces and call it a SWAP. And. . . it is snowing again in Seattle. I was so demoralized to see the little snowflake icon pop up on the weather forecast. Sigh. Here are pictures: